Games that we are meant to love but secretly hate!

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

Coopdevil

Post by Coopdevil » Tue Apr 17, 2007 5:54 pm

sleeper77 wrote:Final Fantasy series except 7 - the seventh installment I liked. That was the first FF I played. FF8 destroyed it all. There wasn't a place were you could walk without getting into a fight. It bored me out of my skull so I left it halfway through the 1st disc.
What killed this (FF8) for me were four things - firstly that if a character didn't have an attached Anima (or whatever they called those summoning beasty things) it seemed reasonable that they couldn't cast magic but they also couldn't even use items from the party inventory in battle like the other characters could. WTF!? How does that work?

Secondly - your party money came from salary which was regularly doled out and depending upon your characters rank within the mercenary outfit you fought for. You got no gold for defeating monsters. But if you took ages to get things done, your rank fell and your income went with it. So this, unbelievably, was an RPG that actively punished you for taking your time and exploring the gameworld or going off on side quests. WTF!? How does that work?

Thirdly - at one point you split the party and one group were trapped in some complex when it exploded and went off like a Roman candle. They appeared dead, but later in the game appeared (as if by magic) crawling out of the remains of a giant tank Boss you'd killed - and then, never, ever, ever, attempted to explain how they survived or how they got there. WTF!? After the Aeries/Aerith death in 7 I wondered if the characters really were dead for ages...

Fourthly - I gave up when I was in a village and everytime I crossed the village I got attacked by wandering monsters - despite the fact that that part of the plot involving chasing around a small girl who was going from house to house in the village (apparently the monsters elected that an armed warrior was an easier target than a defenceless four year old child) and meeting a village guard who claimed to be protecting the village from monster incursions - which then attacked me with two seconds of finishing my conversation with him. WTF!? Talk about lack of suspension of disbelief.

I couldn't believe how this design had ever reached the approval stage, just couldn't believe how Square could drop such an almighty bollock after the success that was FF7. I even imported FF8 from the US upon it's stateside release I'd been looking forwards to it so much.

Coop
Last edited by Coopdevil on Tue Apr 17, 2007 5:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

SirClive

Post by SirClive » Tue Apr 17, 2007 5:54 pm

Tekken 1 to 3 are beautiful games (I am one of those that loves 3).
I don't even know why 4 is so bad, it just is.

Elgin_McQueen

Post by Elgin_McQueen » Tue Apr 17, 2007 6:00 pm

EvilArmourKing wrote:Tekken - Would be challenger to VF crown and a really bad job too.
Great game!
Tekken 2 - Amazing, how to make a sequel that imporves on nearly every aspect of the original.
Same again
Tekken 3 - Loved by many, I'm not one of them! Took out some of the better characters and was just too different in my book.
Best i've played, lots of unlockables, so addictive it was easy to get them though.
Tekken Tag Tournament - Genius. The most fun you can (legally) have by beating someone up.
Yet slated on it's release, glad I wasn't that mental by liking it.
Tekken 4 - What the hell happened here? Disowned by 95% of Tekken fans.
Never played it, reviews seemed to be good though, just think the new VF at the time totally overshadowed it though.
Tekken 5 - Sidestep game has been butchered, and yet as with 4 - something just doesnt feel right. I've tried to love this game, but I just can't. The graphics and sound are stupendous, but the gameplay is just missing a certain magic.
Still to play
TMR wrote: And you wonder why you're being labelled as elitist... you couldn't be any more elite if you were a wireframe.

rtrgrl78

Post by rtrgrl78 » Tue Apr 17, 2007 6:01 pm

woody.cool wrote:Final Fantasy (any of them)
That's me totally too, just bore me. No offence to anyone here who is into them.

EvilArmourKing

Post by EvilArmourKing » Tue Apr 17, 2007 8:13 pm

Elgin_McQueen wrote:
EvilArmourKing wrote:Tekken - Would be challenger to VF crown and a really bad job too.
Great game!
Tekken 2 - Amazing, how to make a sequel that imporves on nearly every aspect of the original.
Same again
Tekken 3 - Loved by many, I'm not one of them! Took out some of the better characters and was just too different in my book.
Best i've played, lots of unlockables, so addictive it was easy to get them though.
Tekken Tag Tournament - Genius. The most fun you can (legally) have by beating someone up.
Yet slated on it's release, glad I wasn't that mental by liking it.
Tekken 4 - What the hell happened here? Disowned by 95% of Tekken fans.
Never played it, reviews seemed to be good though, just think the new VF at the time totally overshadowed it though.
Tekken 5 - Sidestep game has been butchered, and yet as with 4 - something just doesnt feel right. I've tried to love this game, but I just can't. The graphics and sound are stupendous, but the gameplay is just missing a certain magic.
Still to play
Tekken is actually fun to a certain degree.

Tekken 3 is a great addition to the series, but I just wasn't "feeling it".

Tekken 4 did get good reviews overall, but the general consensus in the Tekken Community is that it was crap. Absolute Sh1te was nearer the mark.
Many moves were changed or removed, certain characters were WAY to powerful making the game very unbalanced, camera angle problems, collision detection on some of the moves were akin to Renegade III :evil: , the NEW look of certain characters was offensive (Lee Chaolan fans wrote a petition to complain about what they had done to his style/look when they renamed him Violet for the undercover story arc) and the biggest insult was that my beloved Armour King was DEAD!!!

Thankfully, after many hundreds of fans from the Tekken Community bombarded the programmers with e-mails, they saw fit to bring him back in the Tekken 5 "update" Dark Resurrection!

www.tekkenzaibatsu.com

The old adage rings true here :

If it ain't broke, don't fix it!
"This rod will be your doom" - Kilik

Xesh

Post by Xesh » Tue Apr 17, 2007 9:21 pm

All football games.

All fighting games (especially Killer Instinct :twisted: ).

RetroReserve

Post by RetroReserve » Wed Apr 18, 2007 4:50 am

hungry_hog wrote:Resi Evil - worst control method ever. Left/right to rotate and X to walk forward. what??
Press X to go forward?

I'm pretty sure you just have to press up.

hungry_hog

Post by hungry_hog » Wed Apr 18, 2007 5:22 am

RetroReserve wrote:
hungry_hog wrote:Resi Evil - worst control method ever. Left/right to rotate and X to walk forward. what??
Press X to go forward?

sorry you're right; it was up to go forward. you had to steer the character like a truck.

SirClive

Post by SirClive » Wed Apr 18, 2007 5:51 am

RetroReserve wrote:
Press X to go forward?

Still a practically unplayable control system.

Bub&Bob

Post by Bub&Bob » Wed Apr 18, 2007 6:14 am

Coopdevil wrote:
sleeper77 wrote:Final Fantasy series except 7 - the seventh installment I liked. That was the first FF I played. FF8 destroyed it all. There wasn't a place were you could walk without getting into a fight. It bored me out of my skull so I left it halfway through the 1st disc.
What killed this (FF8) for me were four things - firstly that if a character didn't have an attached Anima (or whatever they called those summoning beasty things) it seemed reasonable that they couldn't cast magic but they also couldn't even use items from the party inventory in battle like the other characters could. WTF!? How does that work?

Secondly - your party money came from salary which was regularly doled out and depending upon your characters rank within the mercenary outfit you fought for. You got no gold for defeating monsters. But if you took ages to get things done, your rank fell and your income went with it. So this, unbelievably, was an RPG that actively punished you for taking your time and exploring the gameworld or going off on side quests. WTF!? How does that work?

Thirdly - at one point you split the party and one group were trapped in some complex when it exploded and went off like a Roman candle. They appeared dead, but later in the game appeared (as if by magic) crawling out of the remains of a giant tank Boss you'd killed - and then, never, ever, ever, attempted to explain how they survived or how they got there. WTF!? After the Aeries/Aerith death in 7 I wondered if the characters really were dead for ages...

Fourthly - I gave up when I was in a village and everytime I crossed the village I got attacked by wandering monsters - despite the fact that that part of the plot involving chasing around a small girl who was going from house to house in the village (apparently the monsters elected that an armed warrior was an easier target than a defenceless four year old child) and meeting a village guard who claimed to be protecting the village from monster incursions - which then attacked me with two seconds of finishing my conversation with him. WTF!? Talk about lack of suspension of disbelief.

I couldn't believe how this design had ever reached the approval stage, just couldn't believe how Square could drop such an almighty bollock after the success that was FF7. I even imported FF8 from the US upon it's stateside release I'd been looking forwards to it so much.

Coop
I'll vote for this too as I didn't understand a blo*dy word of that :lol:

Resi Evil - yeh, it sucks - I can image the guy who created that control method was a fan of super sprint!

Anyone played the most recent DS version? Is it any good or just another crappy scalled down, buggy version (Lego Star Wars II anyone)
The dry fart for Barry MacDermot and all the cancer patients in the Glamorgan testicle ward

Dudley

Post by Dudley » Wed Apr 18, 2007 6:28 am

Bub&Bob wrote: Resi Evil - yeh, it sucks - I can image the guy who created that control method was a fan of super sprint!
If he was a fan of super sprint it probably wouldn't have been so mind numbingly slow :)
Yesterzine - The Literal Magazine Show
http://yesterzine.co.uk | @Yesterzine on Twitter | yesterzineshow@gmail.com

Coopdevil

Post by Coopdevil » Wed Apr 18, 2007 6:35 am

Bub&Bob wrote: I'll vote for this too as I didn't understand a blo*dy word of that :lol:

Err... You had to be there. :)

Coop

Nightbreed

Post by Nightbreed » Wed Apr 18, 2007 2:59 pm

Resi Evil - worst control method ever. Left/right to rotate and X to walk forward. what??
It's all well and good slagging off Resi Evils controls, but the Last Ninja games have the worst control system in gaming history!! :lol: :lol:
Bring back Thingy and Rockford!!! Zzap 64 liberation front!!! :):):)

col75

Post by col75 » Wed Apr 18, 2007 4:35 pm

All the star wars games! man they just bite.. the lego one's are ok but wtf is with the others?
What's the point of mining for nose gold if you can't share it with the townspeople?

paranoid marvin

Post by paranoid marvin » Wed Apr 18, 2007 4:36 pm

col75 wrote:All the star wars games! man they just bite.. the lego one's are ok but wtf is with the others?
Obviously not played Tie Fighter then... or ESB on 2600
Mr Flibble says...
"Game over , boys!"