Games that we are meant to love but secretly hate!

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

mr gryzor

Re: Games that we are meant to love but secretly hate!

Post by mr gryzor » Wed Aug 28, 2013 10:34 am

Minecrafts popularity makes me scratch my head in bewilderment i must admit.
C64-Atari ST-PC Engine-Sega Megadrive-SNES-Neo Geo-Sony Playstation-N64-Dreamcast-Gamecube-XBOX-Nintendo Wii-XBOX360-XBOX ONE

SJ_Sathanas

Post by SJ_Sathanas » Wed Aug 28, 2013 4:04 pm

I really liked Halo but none of the sequels could match the first game.

Wolf007

Post by Wolf007 » Wed Aug 28, 2013 5:28 pm

RodimusPrime wrote:
Matt_B wrote:
RodimusPrime wrote:I am not a huge fan of Halo, but are you sure acbout " beyond Cliched "

It may seem that way now, but thats because of the amount of games that have copied the original Halo mechanics. the first game was not cliched at all.
Ah, come on. It not only borrowed heavily from the previous decade of FPS games but threw in a ton of science fiction cliches on top of that.

Sure, you can perhaps point to a few minor innovations that it brought, but originality was never its strong suit. I'd say it brought less to the genre than Quake 2, let alone the original.

Yes, it did borrow heavily from a lot of areas, but it brought in features that games still use today.

In terms of console gaming especially.

The recharging health instead of med packs, the 2 weapon only rule, etc all things that nearly every console FPS uses today.

in terms of Consoles FPS games it was an innovative game.

Okay, I will concede that Halo did introduce recharging health and the two weapon rule, both of which I hate for two different reasons. Recharging health? I dislike this concept in many ways. I do kinda like the idea of having a shield that recharges but health that doesn't for more rpg type games like borderlands, but in a straight foreward fps? it just removes the strategy and difficulty rather than adds to it.

The two weapon rule I feel also removes the strategy and adds an artificial sense of difficulty. You pick the wrong type of weapons to carry and end up against the boss, you are conceptually screwed. I prefer a boss that is a straight and fair challenge, regardless of the weapons you have.

In terms of retro fps titles, I feel Star Wars: Dark Forces outclasses Halo in every way except for graphics and multiplayer. The levels are very well designed, enemies can range in difficulty from "Pffffft" to "you cheating bastich!" The weapons are far more interesting and varied. It is just a classic example of fps design that holds up today. This is a game I would LOVE to see remade using todays tech. Halo on the other hand, is just substandard rubbish that has graphics and multiplayer to crutch up its poor design in terms of levels, enemies, boss battles, and gameplay.

silvergunner

Post by silvergunner » Wed Aug 28, 2013 10:21 pm

Mmmm dark forces has one of the worst levels ever for me because of that blasted sewer section

LAIS

Post by LAIS » Thu Aug 29, 2013 12:14 pm

Hmmm, there's quite a few for me, although I wouldn't quite say I "secretly" hate them.

* Grand Theft Auto San Andreas/IV - I kind of liked GTA 3 and Vice City, but after that I just found the series...well...a bit crap really.

* Gear of War Series - Awful, awful, awful. I'm no prude, but the swearing just makes me cringe. As does the gameplay. I just don't enjoy it at all.

* Virtua Fighter series - Tekken, Mortal Kombat, Soul Calibur and Street Fighter are all far superior in my opinion. Much more fun to play.

* Minecraft - Give me lego any day.

shiftytigger

Post by shiftytigger » Thu Aug 29, 2013 2:48 pm

snowkatt wrote:^gta is juvenile
its a teenagers idea of mature ie big guns big boobs lots of swearing and violence but no actual substance
and after a while it gets grating and you get weary off it and grow out of it

if i want free roam i will play oblivion or fallout
I know the GTA bashing is in full flow so ill pitch in too. I've always felt the 3d GTA games revelled a bit too much in the things that teenagers would find appealing. Its all corny lip licking bikini clad plastic bimbos , big guns and explosions. I know thats the demographic theyre grasping at but it does make shallow something that could be great.Controversy only helps enhance the reputation within that demographic and poor parenting only helps spread the sensationalist nature of the material and reduce it to a schoolyard titter. I dont care if i can have sex with whores in the game. Why do I need to? I can also kill them and set fire to them or blow them up. No need? No but a 10 year old kid just got chance to be a terrible example of pretend human beings.

Thats not why I dont care for them . Its a factor in my annoyance at the parenting. The reason i dislke them is simply that I dont associate with the characters or gel with the story. I just dont feel anything at all. Damn it even Dark Castle made me feel terrible disappointment.

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Thu Aug 29, 2013 4:57 pm

In its defence, those are also things this 43 year old man finds appealing too. They were good in my (pre)teens, they're still good now.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

shiftytigger

Post by shiftytigger » Thu Aug 29, 2013 8:16 pm

Well , we all like different stuff and its a good job too. I guess im just not a fan of the stereotyped idea of what I should find sexy in a woman and or high powered firearm.

slacey1070

Post by slacey1070 » Sat Aug 31, 2013 3:41 pm

If we have to hate games with big guns and sexy ladies, that's 75% of games on the list then!

Vice City was tongue in cheek, not serious....

Then GTA 4 went all gritty brown and serious.......

But then I've never really got the moral views of GTA, far worse things get released without the same reaction...

And I still don't get how anyone can say driving off ramps at 200mph.isn't fun...
Owned: Vic 20, C64, Amiga, PC, SNES, Dreamcast, PS2, Gameboy, Gameboy Colour, DS, Xbox360, PSP 2000, Wii, 3DSXL, GameCube, N64, JXD S7800.

“I ain't got a problem with your anger, hope you get around to having fun" Hugh Cornwell.

Negative Creep

Post by Negative Creep » Sat Aug 31, 2013 5:49 pm

Any Megaman game. A shooter where you can't duck or aim diagonally was old the moment Contra was released

Virtua Fighter - horrible moon jumps and a fighting system where you had to spend hours learning every intricate detail or be utterly destroyed

Wolf007

Post by Wolf007 » Tue Sep 03, 2013 7:53 pm

Let me add God Of War to my personal "do not want" list.

It started out alright, the cinematic look was amazing and the bosses interesting in the first game. as was the story of a fall from grace and possible road to redemption ending. Than the sequels decided what was needed was to take a character with possibilities for some deeper development and turn in him into a whinging, butthurt 11 year old. The series is known for its use of boobs and bloodshed, and Kratos constantly walking in and out of hell like its a fast food chain. The gameplay itself, meh. thats all I gotta say about it. I feel like my default weapon is the worlds deadliest yoyo, and thats the most interesting weapon in the game.

Basically I always feel like this series, or at least its sequels, are made for the lowest common denominator. children or adults with poor discernment so obsessed with graphics and gratuity that they cant tell the game isn't that fun. I got the most recent god of war game with my ps3 bundle, I thought I'd give it a chance. I will say that Kratos being mute at the beginning made him more interesting than he's ever been, everything else was just same old same old. I traded it in after an hours game time.