Games that we are meant to love but secretly hate!

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

SirClive

Post by SirClive » Sun Apr 22, 2007 5:10 am

KO2 was far more skillful, none of those magical passes that always found a team mate.

Though I am still excited by SWoS coming to Xbox live.

davrho

Post by davrho » Sun Apr 22, 2007 5:22 am

Thats why most people prefer ss. Once you learned to control the ball in ko2(no easy task) thats when it opens up. The long ball from the back and get the forward to take it on the run is still hard to master. My kids cant get round this. I have said to my boy when he beats me at ko2 i give up gaming. I will never teach him the stick on goals. :lol:

SirClive

Post by SirClive » Sun Apr 22, 2007 5:30 am

My fave was the long run down the wing, cross it almost on the touchline and fly in for a headed goal.

paranoid marvin

Post by paranoid marvin » Sun Apr 22, 2007 5:42 am

SirClive wrote:My fave was the long run down the wing, cross it almost on the touchline and fly in for a headed goal.

mine was to play 5-3-2 formation , put R.Shaw (fast midfielder) up front as furthest striker , and play long ball for him to run onto
To score goals successfully you also neede to master aftertouch

Now Final Whistle and The European add-ons changed tactics entirely
Running diagonally in the box , then quickly switching direction and shooting was the best way
Mr Flibble says...
"Game over , boys!"

davrho

Post by davrho » Sun Apr 22, 2007 5:44 am

Quality. I love the desperation goal. seconds left, lob the ball into the box, the keeper misjudges the bounce and you launch a striker to head the ball into the empty goal.
We are going off topic here. Could talk ko2 all day. Any way i am off to the pub shortly. No kids today and a league win(hopefully). The plan is to stagger in at 6 with a chinese to keep the house happy.

spc

Post by spc » Sun Apr 22, 2007 9:23 pm

Sanxion by Thalamus on the C64 I couldnt get my head round at all. Also Epyx's Impossible Mission was exactly that. Anyone who says any Resident Evil games can count on my vote at the next General Elections

daverage

Post by daverage » Mon Apr 23, 2007 2:07 am

Jet Set Willy - a feeling of lingering guilt is lifting each time someone says they thought it was crap. I love the concept, the graphics were good for the time, the play field is huge, but it just doesn't grip me. Can't deny its iconic power though - I had to restrain myself from spending £25 on a signed copy of it from some eBay shop a while back!
Hehe another reason I started the thread. I was fed up of people telling me how wonderful certain games were and having to agree with them for fear of heracy against the retro games gods!!
Andrzej 'daverage' Marczewski
http://www.yetanotherreviewsite.co.uk
Games reviews written by gamers for gamers

bolda

Post by bolda » Tue Apr 24, 2007 4:12 pm

Definitely another vote for Sensi Soccer here. On its own it's an ok game but put it next to KO2 and it is exposed as the formulaic, limited, play-by-numbers footy game it really is. Likewise, I could talk KO2 all day. Mind you, I'd leave R. Shaw on the wing to use his pace to beat the full back. A. Nicholls and W. Quinn were my preferred strike duo, with L.R. Lindsey pulling the strings in midfield... I digress...
GAME OVER YEEEAAAHHH!
ImageImageImage

savva0122

Post by savva0122 » Tue Apr 24, 2007 6:27 pm

I find the whole FPS genre incredibly boring - Doom, Quake, Half Life you can keep them all. Bought Call of Duty for the Wii, took it back and traded it in next day (God knows why I bought it in the first place)

Just don't find them interesting at all - sorry!

I also never really managed to get into Elite. I know everyone raves about it but could not really love it. Was a great game from concept point of view etc.

Going to quietly stand in the corner now...

TMR

Post by TMR » Wed Apr 25, 2007 7:06 am

spc wrote:Sanxion by Thalamus on the C64 I couldnt get my head round at all.
Okay, this is probably the oddest thing anyone has said so far... i mean, i can understand someone not liking Sanxion because it's got the difficulty curve going up like the north face of the Eiger but it's dead easy to understand. If it moves, twonk it one! =-)

Me, i don't have any games i secretly hate... i tell everyone which ones i hate so s'not a secret! =-)

Sabreman

Post by Sabreman » Wed Apr 25, 2007 7:31 am

spc wrote:Sanxion by Thalamus on the C64 I couldnt get my head round at all. Also Epyx's Impossible Mission was exactly that. Anyone who says any Resident Evil games can count on my vote at the next General Elections
Sanxion was one of those games I used to load up to listen to the music. I hardly ever actually played it. Didn't like it much as a game.

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Wed Apr 25, 2007 7:39 am

Sabreman wrote:
spc wrote:Sanxion by Thalamus on the C64 I couldnt get my head round at all. Also Epyx's Impossible Mission was exactly that. Anyone who says any Resident Evil games can count on my vote at the next General Elections
Sanxion was one of those games I used to load up to listen to the music. I hardly ever actually played it. Didn't like it much as a game.
Me too. I don't think there was much game to play, it was hype for the in-house company, wasn't it?

Resi is fine with rotational control. If it was directional, you'd be all over the place when the camera angle changed. With rotation and forward controls, you always run along the corridor regardless of camera.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

BennyTheGreek

Post by BennyTheGreek » Wed Apr 25, 2007 5:44 pm

Right I have taken my authentic "rant pill"...here we go.....

Lords of Midnight (Spectrum)...... :shock:
Its not fun

Legend of Avalon and every single crap follow up - Spectrum
Flick, Flickity Flick.....Its not fun

Halo - Every version - It was said before that stupid first time gamers on the xbox probably thought it was the dogs danglies but if you have played any other fps I would think you have played better - Its got crap baddies, crap weapons, everywhere looks the same, stupid sound fx, crappy crappy crap

Oblivion - 360 My son has this and tries to get me to like it so I wind him up by walking up to a tree and hitting it with my sword. Thats as much enjoyment that I could get from this `game`.

Dungeon Master - 16 bits - yes 16 bits of crap....

Joust really bugs me, Uridium, Knight Lore, All final fartasy games, all rpg games, most tycoon simulators, Wizball, All 8 bit james bond games, Pokemon games, I have really tried lately but I still fail to see the entire attraction with SF2.....I have tried ce edition and , yes I am crap at it, but it just doesnt make me want to have one more go....Robocop (8 bits), earthworm jim, dizzy, GTA VC really peed me off for some reason ( I loved gta3 and I have liberty city for PSP - but vc just didnt feel right - -might have been the music)

That will do for now ...my fingers hurt

Nightbreed

Post by Nightbreed » Wed Apr 25, 2007 7:52 pm

Joust really bugs me, Uridium, Knight Lore, All final fartasy games, all rpg games, most tycoon simulators, Wizball, All 8 bit james bond games, Pokemon games, I have really tried lately but I still fail to see the entire attraction with SF2.....I have tried ce edition and , yes I am crap at it, but it just doesnt make me want to have one more go....Robocop (8 bits), earthworm jim, dizzy, GTA VC really peed me off for some reason ( I loved gta3 and I have liberty city for PSP - but vc just didnt feel right - -might have been the music)
I'd love to see what games you DO like then. :roll:
Bring back Thingy and Rockford!!! Zzap 64 liberation front!!! :):):)

EvilArmourKing

Post by EvilArmourKing » Wed Apr 25, 2007 8:40 pm

Nightbreed wrote:
I'd love to see what games you DO like then. :roll:
Thankfully, he didn't mention Killer Instinct, Mortal Kombat 2 or Tekken.

Which means he probably secretly loves those games.

Which is good.
"This rod will be your doom" - Kilik