Games that we are meant to love but secretly hate!

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

GarryG

Re: Games that we are meant to love but secretly hate!

Post by GarryG » Sat Aug 10, 2013 8:25 am

Lords of Midnight - I got it, and I liked strategy games... But I just thought it was overly complicated, visually unexciting, and ultimately boring...

No offence meant, I know this game was practically a religion to some :lol:

I also couldn't get into any Street Fighter games, although some of my favorate games are of the fighting type and I probably have a few most 'normal' gamers have never heard of.
Why not visit my ramblings at Garry's Gaming Blog

Get_in_Gear

Re:

Post by Get_in_Gear » Mon Aug 12, 2013 3:57 pm

savva0122 wrote:I find the whole FPS genre incredibly boring - Doom, Quake, Half Life you can keep them all. Bought Call of Duty for the Wii, took it back and traded it in next day (God knows why I bought it in the first place)

Just don't find them interesting at all - sorry!
I can't see the appeal either. I don't mind those sort of games if you can switch to a third-person view that works.
I like to see what I am controlling onscreen - I just can't get into skidding around as if I'm on skis, watching a gun, or hand holding a knife, bobbing up and down in front of me while the screen is flashing red as I am showered with gunfire from a foe I can't even see.
And yeah - add Halo and Goldeneye to that list too.
R Tape loading error, 0:1

[+[_]::]

Ferret Oxide

Post by Ferret Oxide » Mon Aug 12, 2013 4:39 pm

Ocarina of Time. I know some people claim it to be the best Zelda game, sometimes even the best game ever, but I really don't see why.

Yes, it controls well with the z targetting thing, and yes the time mechanics look good. Oh, and Link's farewell scene with Saria is very well handled, but otherwise, the game has negatives i really can't get past.:

Overly cliched characters (Mido being a prime example)
Awful dialog (even the characters in Two Worlds would be embarrassed to utter some of the drivel spewed by the Great Deku Tree)
The empty expanse of pointless nothingness that is Hyrule Field. I know I it there so you can ride Epona, but how hard would it have been to actually populate it with stuff so it was more than just an excuse to finally give Link a horse.
Navi the Fairy

No game is perfect, but this one is far from it in my opinion.

vipp

Post by vipp » Tue Aug 13, 2013 7:54 pm

Ferret Oxide wrote:Ocarina of Time. I know some people claim it to be the best Zelda game, sometimes even the best game ever, but I really don't see why.
No game is perfect, but this one is far from it in my opinion.
I agree with the above!, in fact i am very unpopular with my retro gaming friends at times because i go a little wider than the ocarina of time and suggest that ALL Zelda games are (in my opinion) just utterly boring pap. my fiancee loves Zelda games and she plays them a lot but i really don't see the appeal.

this is a great thread! :)
Steam: Vipp1990
Steam Group: Stalking The Retro (STR) (Join the group to win FREE steam games every month!)
www.gamegavel.com/forum: Vipp

Currently Playing: Doom Collection PSN/Duke Nukem 3D PC/Petite Computer 3DS/Tetris NES/Fantastic Dizzy Megadrive.

snowkatt

Post by snowkatt » Tue Aug 13, 2013 7:57 pm

ducktales
it just doesnt do anything for me
i hated the gb version with a fiery passion and could never get anywhere in it
hey wait ! i got a new complaint !

ootini

Post by ootini » Wed Aug 14, 2013 4:41 am

Put me down for another one that does not like Ocarina of Time.
My brother and I got it the day it was released. He loved it and still reckons its one of the best games he's ever played. I gave it a chance back then but could never really get into it. I got to a certain point and just lost interest.

Only a coupled of weeks ago though, I fired up my rickety old N64 and decided to give it another try 15 odd years later. The thing that got me this time was the music. So bloody annoying. And that stupid fairy thing that follows you around. I just got really annoyed after a while and popped in Robotron 64 instead.

joefish

Post by joefish » Wed Aug 14, 2013 7:17 am

Lords of Midnight - yes. Visually quite boring. Strategically you seem to have to pretty much guess and pretend what's going on.

Final Fantasy VII - an utter sham of a 'game'. Wander around three locked-in screens until you pick the correct random line of dialogue with the right random character to access the next set of three locked-in screens. Menu-driven combat is bad enough, but the random battles when you're completely alone out in the open are just another form of mental torture. If they made you play this 'game' in Abu Ghraib there'd be a public outcry. Put me completely off any RPG that doesn't say Zelda in it, just in case it's this awful.

Elder Scrolls: Morrowind - an open-world where you can just blunder into a scrap way out of your league turns out to be no fun at all.

Underwurlde - a character that automatically jumps, and higher than you can oridinarily jump, with no control over where you land, coupled with pinball knock-about bouncing - why even bother pretending the player has any control? Why not just unplug the joystick and admit it's a crude physics demo, not a game. And certainly not charge £9.95 for it when the average price of a game was £5.95.

Street Fighter 2 etc. - an arcade game where you either need the skills of a safecracker, or study an inch-thick manual, to find the hidden sequences of six buttons to even stand a chance? No thanks.

Negative Creep

Post by Negative Creep » Thu Aug 15, 2013 6:02 pm

2d Megaman games - I find them no fun at all, and challenging for all the wrong reasons

PostieDoc

Post by PostieDoc » Sat Aug 17, 2013 6:51 pm

Battlefield 3.

Ok, it's very pretty and there are lots of vehicles to play with but the gunplay just doesn't excite me.
Especially in team deathmatch. God, that's boring.

Also any Assassins Creed game and Bubble Bobble.

Sorry but Rainbow Islands > Bubble Bobble for me.

Misery

Post by Misery » Sun Aug 18, 2013 12:43 am

Oh, I bet I could think of TONS of these if I wanted to. But I'll list just a few:

Ocarina of Time: I'm sorry, but this one is just boring to me. I played through it once as a kid, and have never had any desire to ever go back to it. This game was where my enjoyment of the Zelda series went to die. Hyrule Field or whatever it's called is always my favorite example of the dullness, as it's an area so open, boring, and blank that it farts out random skeletons at night just to keep you from falling asleep as you trudge across the pointlessness.

Metroid Prime: No. Just no. Definitely no. Make it go away.

Street Fighter (all of them): I dont actively HATE these, they're not terrible, but... they're waaaaayyyyyyyy too slow-paced for me. Granted, my definition of "slow" and "fast" is a little warped compared to most, since if it's not moving at the speed of a greased lightning bolt in a particle accelerator, it's too slow by my standards. But after so much time with games like Guilty Gear or Blazblue or various similar games like Melty Blood or whatever, I just find it so hard to pay attention to an SF game. I'll play them every now and then regardless, but.... yeah, they cant keep my focus for long.

Soul Calibur: These I DO hate. Bloody horrible games, cannot stand them. Of all of the fighting games I've ever played, these are by far the most absolutely mindless. Absolutely loathe the entire series.

Grand Theft Auto: The discs for this game are not melting in an active volcano currently. Why is this? It's the only appropriate fate for them.

World of Warcraft: I've played WAY too many MMOs to actually consider this one to be any good.

Resident Evil: die

Devil May Cry and it's many, many clones: Aaaaaagh these games. I always WANT to like these.... but then the actual combat happens. There's one key thing I *always* notice with this type of games, particularly those made by Capcom, which is that while you're attacking one enemy, the others in the group sorta waddle around and dance at you. Once every millennium or so one of them may almost stick a foot out at you kinda MAYBE, but that's only if all of the planets are in alignment and the gods are in a good mood.

HEAVYface

Post by HEAVYface » Sun Aug 18, 2013 8:37 am

so many! for me it's usually the controls and game play that puts me off, not really a genre or graphics. so with that in mind:
halflife 2: incredibly linear and boring gameplay.
final fantasy - any of them: actually on this one it's combination of style (graphics) and repetition.
metal gear: I played the original and 2 a bit and both of them angered me for different reasons. clumsy gameplay, super linear game play.
bayonetta: tedious button masher. hated the visuals and script.
viewtiful joe: looks great but so bloody annoying to play.
GTA: the premise just does not appeal to me at all.
resident evil - any of them: hateful control scheme in the originals. hated resi 4 too. combination of tedious inventory management and crap zombies.
radiant silvergun/ikaruga/silhouette mirage/bangaio/guardian heroes/alien soldier: don't like the game play in any of these, although i'm glad they exist as I respect treasures approach to making games.
every megaman game I've played is awful.
I could go on....ok one or two more:
virtua fighter 4/5: tedious. hate the newer characters too.
tekken 1/2/3: ten string combos, stupid floating.

Prof Mango B Coconut

Post by Prof Mango B Coconut » Sun Aug 18, 2013 8:40 am

Misery wrote:Grand Theft Auto: The discs for this game are not melting in an active volcano currently. Why is this? It's the only appropriate fate for them.
I agree with this... but only for GTA games after Vice City. 1, 2 and London 1969 were all great. GTA 3 was a revelation and Vice City was like a giant cake of awesome with fondant awesome on top.
Suppose you were an idiot; suppose also that you were an XBox One owner. But I repeat myself.

Misery

Post by Misery » Sun Aug 18, 2013 9:11 am

HEAVYface wrote:so many! for me it's usually the controls and game play that puts me off, not really a genre or graphics. so with that in mind:
radiant silvergun/ikaruga/silhouette mirage/bangaio/guardian heroes/alien soldier: don't like the game play in any of these, although i'm glad they exist as I respect treasures approach to making games.

Heyyyyy, I'm not the only one that hates some of Treasure's games! I dont meet up with many that dont ABSOLUTELY ADORE most of their stuff.

Mostly, I cant stand their shmups. Absolutely cannot stand them. It's rare that I run into a shmup that I just dont like whatsoever, but Treasure has managed it with every one they've ever made. Now, their non-shmup games, those can be decent, depends on the game.

Also while I like Tekken well enough... even if it's a little slow for me... I agree with you on the floating bit. The comboing in that.... it can be fun but it's so bloody WEIRD. Gravity, momentum, and various other forces just dont work that way!

Scratch_Porkings

Re:

Post by Scratch_Porkings » Sun Aug 18, 2013 9:42 am

felgekarp wrote:Dare I bring it up again, Strider. Also the Final Fantasy games.
oh my god, I needed a sit down after that.
Scott me up beamie!

HEAVYface

Post by HEAVYface » Sun Aug 18, 2013 11:35 am

Misery wrote: Heyyyyy, I'm not the only one that hates some of Treasure's games! I dont meet up with many that dont ABSOLUTELY ADORE most of their stuff.

Mostly, I cant stand their shmups. Absolutely cannot stand them. It's rare that I run into a shmup that I just dont like whatsoever, but Treasure has managed it with every one they've ever made. Now, their non-shmup games, those can be decent, depends on the game.

Also while I like Tekken well enough... even if it's a little slow for me... I agree with you on the floating bit. The comboing in that.... it can be fun but it's so bloody WEIRD. Gravity, momentum, and various other forces just dont work that way!
Treasure games are a weird bunch. there are a few i hate but, i think Gunstar heroes, mischief makers and sin and punishment are genius games.
for me gradius 5 and dynamite heady were average too (some of gradius 5 is great, but the later levels are just a massive ball ache, i really hated the graphics and character design in dynamite heady but quite enjoyed some of the levels).

now i think about it i hate the dead or alive games too. i'm not sure anybody thinks they're actually any good though!