Games that we are meant to love but secretly hate!

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

beesty

Post by beesty » Tue Apr 17, 2007 4:20 am

Sabre Wulf,as I never got into it and found it very very boring.
Pacman,just hated it it.
When I think of more I will have pleasure posting them in.
the c64 was king,and the speccy,and the amiga,and,,,,,ooh u know the rest

kiniki

Post by kiniki » Tue Apr 17, 2007 4:26 am

Paperboy....

Seriously, it controls like a dog, its really repetitive and its about a paperboy....

llanfeust

Post by llanfeust » Tue Apr 17, 2007 5:23 am

Kai wrote:Mario 64. Most overrated game ever. Everyone seems to love it - except me. I still think the 2D Mario games are far far superior to this crappy 3D version with silly controls and mediocre level design.
The only thing I don't like about Mario64 is that is too short. The N64 was my next nintendo console after my trusty old NES *yeah I skipped the SNES for money reasons mainly* and I was dazzled by a mario suddenly in 3D. But I was a bit disappointed the levels being to my opinion small and easy to beat. Even finding all the stars wasn't all that hard. A bit the same feeling when I beat Ganon in Zelda the Windwaker on the cube. Ganon's really a pus s y compared to the whole game and to be meant as climax. I hope they did a better job in the latest zelda game which I haven't play so far. ^_^

hungry_hog

Post by hungry_hog » Tue Apr 17, 2007 5:49 am

Final Fantasy 7 - I'm sure this is a good game. But the beginning is no excruciating that I never got into it

Resi Evil - worst control method ever. Left/right to rotate and X to walk forward. what??

Rage Racer - the drift model on this was broken such that you would lose all your speed when skidding round a corner. Also has some of the most annoying sound ever

Mario Kart DD - they messed up here. When it becomes quicker to go through a banana skin and dodge around it you know somethings wrong

Xenon 2 - a turd smothered in hollandaise sauce. sluggish controls, no variety in level design all dressed up in a posh frock

Elgin_McQueen

Post by Elgin_McQueen » Tue Apr 17, 2007 6:08 am

Starcraft. - Like C&C but a lot blander I thought.
Join the Retroleague, dip in and out or compete to be the best, everyone welcome! https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/retroleague/

daverage

Post by daverage » Tue Apr 17, 2007 6:38 am

Got to agree with you on Ornica of Time. I just got bored lol
Andrzej 'daverage' Marczewski
http://www.yetanotherreviewsite.co.uk
Games reviews written by gamers for gamers

Elgin_McQueen

Post by Elgin_McQueen » Tue Apr 17, 2007 7:15 am

Elgin_McQueen wrote:Starcraft. - Like C&C but a lot blander I thought.
Althought I gave my copy to my dad a few weeks ago with the addon disks too as he'd been playing Red Alert most days, he's really getting into it.
Join the Retroleague, dip in and out or compete to be the best, everyone welcome! https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/retroleague/

broton

Post by broton » Tue Apr 17, 2007 7:58 am

Frank Chickens wrote:All Japanese RPGs = random number generators with graphics
As are 99% of computer games, to be fair.

Cabal

Post by Cabal » Tue Apr 17, 2007 8:25 am

Metal Gear, GTA, Half Life 2 - what is the fuss all about?

bolda

Post by bolda » Tue Apr 17, 2007 8:34 am

Castlevania : Aria of Sorrow on the GBA. I got the Castlevania double-pack and although this was the more highly praised of the 2 games, I found myself playing Harmony of Dissonance a lot more.

It's not a bad game, just not worth the hype.
GAME OVER YEEEAAAHHH!
ImageImageImage

FatTrucker

Post by FatTrucker » Tue Apr 17, 2007 9:04 am

Jay wrote:Jet Set Willy. Unplayable then, unplayable now.
Glad someone said that. I hated JSW. A frustrating pile of poo, that you couldn't complete even if you did manage to put your speccy back together after smashing it over your own head in frustration.

I also didn't get anything out of the 2D Mario games (might have been my age), and while I enjoyed Metal Gear Solid on the PS1, all the sequels have been sh*t IMO.
Hideo Kojima seems to be lauded everywhere as this visionary genius, but he doesn't seem to know whether he wants to make games or films, and his entire catalogue of ideas and themes are based on clichés and imagery stolen from classic films. I honestly don't think the guy has an original thought in his head.

This is a good thread, sort of like a support group. I feel better already!. :wink:
Darran@Retro Gamer wrote:I've played all the Bratz games and Barbia Horse Adventures, due to having two girls and they are not rubbish in the slightest.
Feel free to add me on XBL.

Nightbreed

Post by Nightbreed » Tue Apr 17, 2007 3:28 pm

I hated Paperboy. Uncontrollable pile of pap.
Mortal Kombat 1. Dire beyond belief. ( MK 2 much better)
Marble Madness. Very Boring, very Quickly.

Oh...And any of the Crash Bandicoot games. All overrated piles of dung. :x
Bring back Thingy and Rockford!!! Zzap 64 liberation front!!! :):):)

Coopdevil

Post by Coopdevil » Tue Apr 17, 2007 4:15 pm

Myst. Not only hated it itself, but hated how it influenced nearly every graphical adventure that followed it. Hate hate hate.

Mostly I hate it for letting me so far into it, then forcing this tone-deaf gamer to try and solve a puzzle requiring a good ear for pitch. Git thing.

Kings Quest VI - the Princeless Bride. Awful, twee, saccharine, grating high-pitched American voice-acting, cutey, sub-Disney, just terrible. The worst thing is I paid £25 for it when I was a broke student and felt obliged to complete it just to avoid it being a total waste of money. And also when I moved out, I got into my new house to discover that while my Monkey Island I & II set (complete with ultra-rare Monkey I CD audio version) was lost somewhere along the way, this pile of crap not only survived but sneaked it's way into the box of PC games I took with me. Have you seen the price the Monkey I & II set reaches on eBay or Amazon now?

(I seem to be coming across as a pure adventure gamer based upon my first few posts on here, but that is actually far from the case)

Coop

sleeper77

Post by sleeper77 » Tue Apr 17, 2007 5:25 pm

Final Fantasy series except 7 - the seventh installment I liked. That was the first FF I played. FF8 destroyed it all. There wasn't a place were you could walk without getting into a fight. It bored me out of my skull so I left it halfway through the 1st disc.

Gran Turismo 2 - very bland compared to the 1st game. For me it had no depth whatsoever. Luckily somebody lent me the game so after 2 races I quickly gave it back.

EvilArmourKing

Post by EvilArmourKing » Tue Apr 17, 2007 5:38 pm

MRMIdAS wrote:*Raises the flame shield*

Half life/counterstrike (series)
Final Fantasy (series)
Tekken (series)
Art Of Fighting (series)
Tetris (series)
Guilty Gear (series)
Final fight (series after 1)
Agree with most, apart from :

Half life??? :D
Tekken.

Tekken is strange as it has gone through major changes with nearly every game released - My personal views :

Tekken - Would be challenger to VF crown and a really bad job too.

Tekken 2 - Amazing, how to make a sequel that imporves on nearly every aspect of the original.

Tekken 3 - Loved by many, I'm not one of them! Took out some of the better characters and was just too different in my book.

Tekken Tag Tournament - Genius. The most fun you can (legally) have by beating someone up.

Tekken 4 - What the hell happened here? Disowned by 95% of Tekken fans.

Tekken 5 - Sidestep game has been butchered, and yet as with 4 - something just doesnt feel right. I've tried to love this game, but I just can't. The graphics and sound are stupendous, but the gameplay is just missing a certain magic.
"This rod will be your doom" - Kilik