All about the handhelds

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

TwoHeadedBoy

Re: All about the handhelds

Post by TwoHeadedBoy » Thu Oct 30, 2014 9:54 pm

Haven't got many boxed things - Off the top of my head, my boxed ones are... Lynx II, Hartung Portable Game Master, Game Axe, Neo Geo Pocket Color, WonderSwan Color, WonderSwan, Nomad, and a few of the bigger LCD games.

Just noticed you have a PC-Engine LT, the holy grail!
My comics blog (mostly lesser-known UK stuff from the 80s and 90s)
C=Style wrote:It's always refreshing and nice to see someone such as TwoHeadedBoy who is a SNES hating bastard at the best of times rate a SNES game so highly.

Sephiroth81

Post by Sephiroth81 » Fri Oct 31, 2014 6:33 am

The Laird wrote:The GB 4-player adapter came out well after the Lynx was released and the Lynx could do far more than 4 anyway, it can support up to 16 with no adapter needed.

4096 colours with 16 per scan line (not on screen as often incorrectly stated).

I know you like to argue but you can't deny facts and the Lynx was/is an amazingly impressive machine technically.
So is the PS Vita, but I wouldn't want one of those.

I don't think anyone is doubting the Lynx was technically very impressive for its time, but as a handheld games console it lacked the battery life of its market leader the Gameboy, and most critically the software library. Rampage and Blue Lightning were reasonably fun from memory, but the Gameboy library had/has so much more depth. The Lynx also lacked a "Tetris" style big hitter which all handhelds need - the PSP and Gamegear lacked this as well, where as the GBC, GBA and DS all had these kind of brilliant-portable style games, rather than watered down home console games.

I had a fair amount of exposure to the Lynx in the early 90s, and had some fun with it, but only really attached to the mains power and mainly due to the fact my cousin (who owned it) never had a proper console round his house, like a SNES, MD, MS, NES etc. As impressive as it was to have a handheld with a colour screen (I had a Game Gear), the only people who truly enjoyed this period were Duracell shareholders.

RodimusPrime

Post by RodimusPrime » Fri Oct 31, 2014 6:36 am

The Laird wrote:The GB 4-player adapter came out well after the Lynx was released and the Lynx could do far more than 4 anyway, it can support up to 16 with no adapter needed.

4096 colours with 16 per scan line (not on screen as often incorrectly stated).

I know you like to argue but you can't deny facts and the Lynx was/is an amazingly impressive machine technically.
Not saying it isn't. in fact the lynx is probably my favourite Atari machine of all time.

Just pointing out the Nomad was probably overall more poerful, however that in no way takes away how great the lynx was.

quangdx

Post by quangdx » Fri Oct 31, 2014 10:27 am

The question really wasn't which machine was technically better.
I wanted to which was your favourite and why. Which I am sure will be different for everyone.
And regardless of the hardware. It's the games that really make or break a console.

I had many fun hours playing both the Atari Lynx, California games, Slimeworld, Blue lightning.
As well as the Sega Gamegear, Shinobi, Mickey Mouse, Monaco GP.
Even plowed many hours into the lovel NeoGeo Pocket, SNK vs Capcom match of the millennium.

But the Gameboy and especially the Gameboy Color stole more hours of my life than any other.
http://aso.bi
the science of play

Sephiroth81

Post by Sephiroth81 » Fri Oct 31, 2014 10:32 am

Shinobi GG was amazing!! I've been playing that ROM for the first time in 20 years recently on my DS Lite via emulation (see - plenty of reasons why its one of the best handhelds ever!).

California Games was pretty cool on the Lynx though, I loved the surfing. The other events were a bit annoying though.

koopa42

Post by koopa42 » Fri Oct 31, 2014 10:34 am

Sephiroth81 wrote:Shinobi GG was amazing!!
TOP GAME!

The Laird

Post by The Laird » Fri Oct 31, 2014 10:56 am

quangdx wrote:The question really wasn't which machine was technically better.
I wanted to which was your favourite and why. Which I am sure will be different for everyone.
And regardless of the hardware. It's the games that really make or break a console.
Doesn't change my answer.

The Laird

Post by The Laird » Fri Oct 31, 2014 3:32 pm

I uploaded some stuff to Dropbox for all the handheld gaming fans:

C&VG GO! Issues

Sega Game Gear Scans

Atari Lynx Scans

quangdx

Post by quangdx » Fri Oct 31, 2014 4:23 pm

The Laird wrote:I uploaded some stuff to Dropbox for all the handheld gaming fans:

C&VG GO! Issues

Sega Game Gear Scans

Atari Lynx Scans
That's so very very awesome of you.
Thank you.
http://aso.bi
the science of play

TwoHeadedBoy

Post by TwoHeadedBoy » Fri Oct 31, 2014 5:26 pm

Nice one :D
C=Style wrote:It's always refreshing and nice to see someone such as TwoHeadedBoy who is a SNES hating bastard at the best of times rate a SNES game so highly.

Liamh1982

Post by Liamh1982 » Fri Oct 31, 2014 6:25 pm

^ Image

I'm reasonably pleased with what I've amassed so far - many iterations of Game Boy (Pocket, Color, Advance, SP, Micro), a couple of Game Gears, a Lynx, an NGPC, a DSi, two PSP-1000s and a PSPgo.
I am not pleased even slightly with the Lexibook Cyber Console however as it is poo.

What I'd still like to get:
3DS
Vita
TurboExpress
Wonderswan
PAL-modded Nomad

TwoHeadedBoy

Post by TwoHeadedBoy » Fri Oct 31, 2014 6:32 pm

Liamh1982 wrote:PAL-modded Nomad
I was delighted to find that the EverDrive works with the Nomad (why wouldn't it?). Throws out the issue of it not being PAL-modded altogether!

RodimusPrime

Post by RodimusPrime » Sat Nov 01, 2014 7:33 pm

regarding the lynx.

Would anyone else really really like a homebrew cartridge for the jaguar that allowed you to insert lynx games and play on a TV. Sort of like a Super gameboy.

even a game gear for the MD.

Always wondered why no one else copied the super gameboy. especially as sega did an MS adaptor for the MD and GG. not really that much of a stretch to go that one step further.

TwoHeadedBoy

Post by TwoHeadedBoy » Sat Nov 01, 2014 8:21 pm

RodimusPrime wrote:regarding the lynx.

Would anyone else really really like a homebrew cartridge for the jaguar that allowed you to insert lynx games and play on a TV. Sort of like a Super gameboy.

Always wondered why no one else copied the super gameboy. especially as sega did an MS adaptor for the MD and GG. not really that much of a stretch to go that one step further.
http://www.retrocollect.com/News/atari- ... n-kit.html

The Laird

Post by The Laird » Sun Nov 02, 2014 5:50 pm

RodimusPrime wrote:regarding the lynx.

There was originally meant to be a Comlynx adapter for the Jaguar so you could connect your Lynx up to the Jaguar, an adapter like that would have been sweet though.