All about the handhelds

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

Shinobi

Re: All about the handhelds

Post by Shinobi » Wed Oct 29, 2014 8:39 pm

Fantastic collection you've even got a hand held Turbo Grafix, Nomad and a Caanoo.. My friend has to handheld PC Engines one jap and one American but the sound went on both of them, are is the sound easy to fix on them and is it a common Problem? As I would like to get one myself
"Crush the Old Order and CREATE A NEW SOCIETY!"

quangdx

Post by quangdx » Wed Oct 29, 2014 8:44 pm

Shinobi wrote:Fantastic collection you've even got a hand held Turbo Grafix, Nomad and a Caanoo.. My friend has to handheld PC Engines one jap and one American but the sound went on both of them, are is the sound easy to fix on them and is it a common Problem? As I would like to get one myself
Thank you, although there's not a Caanoo in that photo, it may be the GP32 or GP32 BLU you can see.
The PC Engine's like the Game gears have capacitors in them that over time leak and die, killing the sound, or the display brightness.
You need someone who is handy with a soldering iron, to take the old ones off, clean up the board then put new ones in.
Luckily for me, my cousin has the skills to do that.

http://pcengine.freeforums.org/repost-t ... st-t5.html
http://aso.bi
the science of play

alistair_thomas

Post by alistair_thomas » Wed Oct 29, 2014 8:55 pm

I've always loved handheld consoles and had my fair share of them over the years.

I have owned the following at some point:

- Game Boy
- Game Boy Color
- Game Boy Advance
- Game Boy Advance SP
- Game.Com
- R-Zone (!)
- Game Gear
- Neo Geo Pocket Color
- N-Gage
- N-Gage QD
- DS Lite
- PSP 2000
- PSP Go
- PS Vita (original model)
- PS Vita 2000

I still have the Game Gear, although it no longer works. I also still have the Game.Com, but it never gets used. I'll always have a place in my heart for the GBC - had a huge collection of games at one point, but now I have about 5 or so (although no GBC!).

quangdx

Post by quangdx » Wed Oct 29, 2014 8:58 pm

alistair_thomas wrote:I've always loved handheld consoles and had my fair share of them over the years.

I have owned the following at some point:

- Game Boy
- Game Boy Color
- Game Boy Advance
- Game Boy Advance SP
- Game.Com
- R-Zone (!)
- Game Gear
- Neo Geo Pocket Color
- N-Gage
- N-Gage QD
- DS Lite
- PSP 2000
- PSP Go
- PS Vita (original model)
- PS Vita 2000
From your list, I still need to get me a R-Zone, N-Gage, N-Gage QD, PSP 2000, PSP Vita, PSP Vita 2000. CiB of course.
It still really amazes me how many different consoles are out there.
the science of play

Sephiroth81

Post by Sephiroth81 » Thu Oct 30, 2014 6:48 am

nokgod wrote:Sweet collection :)

GBA SP AGS-101 is my favourite handheld. Compatability with all GB games and the best screen to play them all on. WIN WIN!

If you're after suggestions for missing consoles, i don't see a Caanoo in the pic.
Nintendo DS Lite still beats GBA SP AGS-101! Compatible with all GBA and DS games, and plays GB/GBC games perfectly through emulation! :mrgreen: (+ NES, Master System and other games on that note!) Plus has the same bright screen AND two of them. :D

ShadowMan

Post by ShadowMan » Thu Oct 30, 2014 6:48 am

That's a great collection :) I still have a soft spot for the original Gameboy, mainly due to the various Nintendo/Capcom games that got released on it throughout its life time. Its between that and the Neo Geo Pocket Colour in terms of my favourite retro handheld. In terms of more current handhelds, its got to be the PS Vita, its pretty much all I use these days handheld wise.
My Complete Megaman/Rockman collection: http://retrogamer.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=26485 *Updated 22/05/2011*

adippm82

Post by adippm82 » Thu Oct 30, 2014 8:39 am

Shinobi wrote:Fantastic collection you've even got a hand held Turbo Grafix, Nomad and a Caanoo.. My friend has to handheld PC Engines one jap and one American but the sound went on both of them, are is the sound easy to fix on them and is it a common Problem? As I would like to get one myself
It is a common problem with almost all PC Engine GT and Turboexpress consoles, that a bunch of capacitors fail over time, and need replacing, there are guides online, but not being that steady with a soldering iron myself, I opted to get mine fixed for me, so I sent it to gearforgames on ebay, he fixed it and returned it to me within 3 days, it now has thunderous sound, and he also replaced a metal shield mine had been missing for years, also replaced a few other bits and bobs that were making the screen a bit dull, really great guy, the repair is here:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/TURBO-GRAFX-1 ... 20b56d421f

He also did my Game Gear's sound and screen.

nokgod

Post by nokgod » Thu Oct 30, 2014 3:43 pm

Sephiroth81 wrote:Nintendo DS Lite still beats GBA SP AGS-101!
Unsure of the point of this, tbh. :? Sure, the SP has been superceded but then so has the DS lite. I didn't realise it was a competition where there had to be a winner. I merely stated it was my favourite handheld.
Sephiroth81 wrote:Compatible with all GBA and DS games, and plays GB/GBC games perfectly through emulation! :mrgreen: (+ NES, Master System and other games on that note!) Plus has the same bright screen AND two of them.
Great. :D But can it link up to my gamecube like my SP for some 4 player pacman vs? erm...no. Instafail.

Don't get me wrong, i'm not hating on the DS lite. Its a cracking little machine, i have two of them after all (along with every other incarnation of GB/DS :wink:) but its probably among the least used of all my handhelds. I use my trusty 101 for all GB/GBC/GBA/GC link up shenanigans, i prefer the larger screen of the DSiXL for DS games and some emulation (mainly ZXDS) and i use the PSPGo for pretty much everything else. As far as my personal usage goes the only reason i use a DS lite is to play Metroid Pinball with the rumble pak.
sscott wrote:I thought Tomb Raider was the best game of last gen (and I fuck1n hate the Tomb Raider series!)

outdated_gamer

Post by outdated_gamer » Thu Oct 30, 2014 3:58 pm

Fave is original GB because it's the one I was growing up with and had some fine games too. Although today I would not look below GBA SP since the lack of a backlit screen and ghostling makes it really hard to go back to it (although might still be liked by some, in a nostalgic way). In general, I'm not a handheld gamer because of the tiny screens and hardware limitations they have. Although I admit there are some mighty good games on them and I also admit they have a certain charm to them.
The Laird wrote:Favourite handheld is the Atari Lynx, no contest. It took 13 years for somebody to come out with a more powerful handheld.
It didn't take long for the TurboExpress to come out... :wink:

Although the Lynx still had some better scaling capabilities compared to it.

The Laird

Post by The Laird » Thu Oct 30, 2014 6:24 pm

Neither the Turbo Express or Nomad were designed as handhelds, they were consoles that were later put into handheld form.

That said the Lynx was still more technically advanced than both of them in many ways - hardware scaling and rotation, more colours, DAC, infinite sprites, comlynx, better battery life etc.

RodimusPrime

Post by RodimusPrime » Thu Oct 30, 2014 6:49 pm

The Laird wrote:Neither the Turbo Express or Nomad were designed as handhelds, they were consoles that were later put into handheld form.

That said the Lynx was still more technically advanced than both of them in many ways - hardware scaling and rotation, more colours, DAC, infinite sprites, comlynx, better battery life etc.

Nomad was still a handheld. no argument.

RodimusPrime

Post by RodimusPrime » Thu Oct 30, 2014 7:01 pm

The Laird wrote:Neither the Turbo Express or Nomad were designed as handhelds, they were consoles that were later put into handheld form.

more coloures? are we talking about pallette, or on screen at any one time?. what about screen res.

as for comlynx, thta was just a glorified version of what the gameboy could already do with 4 players.

the Nomad allowed you to connect a second controller, and even had AV out.

The Laird

Post by The Laird » Thu Oct 30, 2014 8:34 pm

The GB 4-player adapter came out well after the Lynx was released and the Lynx could do far more than 4 anyway, it can support up to 16 with no adapter needed.

4096 colours with 16 per scan line (not on screen as often incorrectly stated).

I know you like to argue but you can't deny facts and the Lynx was/is an amazingly impressive machine technically.

TwoHeadedBoy

Post by TwoHeadedBoy » Thu Oct 30, 2014 8:42 pm

Great collection picture there...

Here's what my collection looked like in 2009:

Got a few more since then, including two Gamates, a Mega Duck and a few that got missed out of that picture for some reason... It was a BIG obsession of mine for a few years, but nowadays I don't have the cash to seek them out. Very happy with this lot, though :D
My comics blog (mostly lesser-known UK stuff from the 80s and 90s)
C=Style wrote:It's always refreshing and nice to see someone such as TwoHeadedBoy who is a SNES hating bastard at the best of times rate a SNES game so highly.

quangdx

Post by quangdx » Thu Oct 30, 2014 9:24 pm

TwoHeadedBoy wrote: Got a few more since then, including two Gamates, a Mega Duck and a few that got missed out of that picture for some reason... It was a BIG obsession of mine for a few years, but nowadays I don't have the cash to seek them out. Very happy with this lot, though :D
Very nice indeed.
I completely understand about the cash.
Tracking down the rarer handhelds, especially as I want the Complete in Box, is draining my funds very quickly.
I also have two Boxed Gamates. One boxed Megaduck and an unboxed one as well as a CougarBoy.
the science of play