All about the handhelds

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

RodimusPrime

Re: All about the handhelds

Post by RodimusPrime » Mon Apr 03, 2017 5:40 pm

Gonna start getting into game gear a little more with this.

http://hyperkinlab.com/hyperkin-retron- ... stem-card/

adippm82

Post by adippm82 » Mon Apr 03, 2017 5:59 pm

Nice set of videos those, makes me realise I need to get some more Lynx games, there are a couple of wins for the Game Gear there, I actually prefer Desert Strike on the Sega machine for instance, for the most part though for me personally I would usually go for the Lynx games anytime, such an awesome handheld, and I really cannot look at the Game Gear screen for too long, the contrast and viewing angles are terrible!

Greyfox

Post by Greyfox » Mon Apr 03, 2017 6:22 pm

The Laird wrote:
Greyfox wrote:Whatta... :roll:
Meaning?
I am forbidden to engage with the explanation of the meaning at this time. Have to post elsewhere ...errrooorr..spamming now....reboot in progress... :oops:

Side kicked.
↓↓Click Link to See More
http://www.greyfoxbooks.com

Bluce_Ree

Post by Bluce_Ree » Mon Apr 03, 2017 7:10 pm

1. My Vodafone 1615, Windows 6.5'phone because of Kings Bounty.
2. Vita. People say there are no games for it but there are tonnes. Super powerful, great screen, feels good. Love it.
3. PSP. Firmwared up though. Mainly to play Speccy stuff.
4. Gameboy Micro. Tiny thing of beauty.
5. 3DS XL. The best way to play DS stuff.

Darran@Retro Gamer

Post by Darran@Retro Gamer » Tue Apr 04, 2017 5:02 am

I've actually just started collection for the DS, so this has made me want to resurrect the old DS thread.

Katzkatz
Location: Sunny Eastern London suburb of Leytonstone and my own mind!

Post by Katzkatz » Thu Apr 13, 2017 11:04 am

I've sort of enjoyed playing on the DS. My dad, brother, uncle and sister all have one. The puzzle games seem good on that. Plus, the pen really helps out with those types of games. Advance Wars seems very good on there.

I've got a PSP. It never really gets much use. I am sort of thinking of selling it and going for the DS.

Darran@Retro Gamer

Post by Darran@Retro Gamer » Thu Apr 13, 2017 12:02 pm

I'm loving the DS at the moment. It has some excellent puzzle games and there appears to be a lot of action rpgs I wouldn't mind investigating. Prices are pretty low at the moment as well so it seems the perfect time to buy into it.

gunbladelad

Post by gunbladelad » Sat Apr 15, 2017 10:10 am

Grab Phantasy Star Zero and GTA : Chinatown Wars for the DS - well worth it. Good luck finding a copy of Pokemon Heart Gold or Soul Silver with the Pedometers, however (and be aware you'll never be able to get access to all the routes without a cheat device either due to several being event only and others never being unlocked legitimately anywhere)
Where logic won't work, I will

Darran@Retro Gamer

Post by Darran@Retro Gamer » Sat Apr 15, 2017 11:18 am

gunbladelad wrote:Grab Phantasy Star Zero and GTA : Chinatown Wars for the DS - well worth it. Good luck finding a copy of Pokemon Heart Gold or Soul Silver with the Pedometers, however (and be aware you'll never be able to get access to all the routes without a cheat device either due to several being event only and others never being unlocked legitimately anywhere)
I don't care for the standard Pokemon games so I don't have to worry about those. Already got GTA and the other is on my want list with about 60 other games :lol:

retrojc

Post by retrojc » Sat Apr 15, 2017 11:26 am

On DS I have 5 games; Pic Pic (think I bought that off you Darran), The world ends with you, Pokemon Silver & Gold and Ketsui. I might get a few others sooner or later; the 2DS got me right back into Nintendo handhelds; but only just!

Dare I say, the most fun I've had on a recent handheld is on the Vita with Lummines.

retrojc

Post by retrojc » Sat Apr 15, 2017 11:32 am

Just bought 999 too as that looks excellent.

kiwimike

Post by kiwimike » Tue Apr 18, 2017 2:15 am

Well I just started a 'which GBA' topic, and in hindsight I should have just asked opinions in here! But simply decided I missed playing some of the superb GBA titles, so thought I'd pick one up again to enjoy.

The DS Lite option is a great idea for me, good screen size and brightness

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Tue Apr 18, 2017 1:11 pm

GBA carts do stick out a bit from the bottom of a DS Lite, that's the only minor bugbear. Worth it for the screen imo.

And there are flash carts for the DS that sit flush. They even come in colours to match, so I have a black one for mine so it doesn't look odd. With my old system, I can flash from the DS flash cart to the GBA flash cart, use the DS cart to backup and restore saves and stuff. Quite handy, since the GBA slot card has limited memory but the DS slot card uses micro SDcards.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.