All about the handhelds

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

TwoHeadedBoy

Re: All about the handhelds

Post by TwoHeadedBoy » Sun Nov 02, 2014 5:54 pm

The Laird wrote:
RodimusPrime wrote:regarding the lynx.

Would anyone else really really like a homebrew cartridge for the jaguar that allowed you to insert lynx games and play on a TV. Sort of like a Super gameboy.

even a game gear for the MD.

Always wondered why no one else copied the super gameboy. especially as sega did an MS adaptor for the MD and GG. not really that much of a stretch to go that one step further.
There was originally meant to be a Comlynx adapter for the Jaguar so you could connect your Lynx up to the Jaguar, an adapter like that would have been sweet though.
I remember reading about that somewhere - using the Lynx like a radar screen or something when playing Aliens Vs. Predator, that sort of thing, right?
My comics blog (mostly lesser-known UK stuff from the 80s and 90s)
C=Style wrote:It's always refreshing and nice to see someone such as TwoHeadedBoy who is a SNES hating bastard at the best of times rate a SNES game so highly.

The Laird

Post by The Laird » Sun Nov 02, 2014 5:58 pm

Yep, it was going to be a feature on AVP2

c0nfu53d

Post by c0nfu53d » Mon Nov 03, 2014 8:23 am

Out of the retro handhelds the original Game Boy is an outstanding console. I still play GB games regularly on my GBA SP.

I also rate PSP and 3DS highly. I have a feeling I'll also dig my Vita too, but I haven't had it long enough to decide.

quangdx

Post by quangdx » Mon Nov 24, 2014 7:41 am

c0nfu53d wrote:Out of the retro handhelds the original Game Boy is an outstanding console. I still play GB games regularly on my GBA SP.

I also rate PSP and 3DS highly. I have a feeling I'll also dig my Vita too, but I haven't had it long enough to decide.
I truly believe the Gameboy with it's four shades of grey really proved, first and foremost, games are about their gameplay.
Yes graphics, sound and presentation all add to the whole experience, but without great gameplay, they're just Dragon's Lair ;)
http://aso.bi
the science of play

Bluce_Ree

Post by Bluce_Ree » Thu Mar 12, 2015 10:36 am

I'm on a bit of a Game and Watch tip at the moment. Doing it via eBay but looking for bargains. Does help when people spell things wrong!

Boulder

Post by Boulder » Thu Mar 12, 2015 12:36 pm

Just found my two remaining G&W games last week, Mickey Mouse and Donkey Kong Jr. (panorama). DK is still very addictive after all these years!

Bluce_Ree

Post by Bluce_Ree » Thu Mar 12, 2015 12:54 pm

Boulder wrote:Just found my two remaining G&W games last week
So you now have a complete set? Wow! I'm not far behind you though. I've got DK2, DK Hockey, a DK1 on the way and that reissued version of Ball. So yeah, just a few grands worth left to get haha! ;)

Are yours boxed and all that? Or loose and fabby and played to death?

Boulder

Post by Boulder » Thu Mar 12, 2015 1:04 pm

No, sorry for the "confusing" text (I'm not a Brit so English is my second language). Those are the two games that I still have from my youth, others have disappeared in time :x

The games are not in a good condition, DKJR is very, very yellow :mrgreen: Fortunately there's nothing wrong with the screen though. I do recall the game cost a lot, I'd say it would make 30 euros nowadays. Mickey Mouse was a bit cheaper.

n1nty

Post by n1nty » Fri Mar 13, 2015 2:03 pm

Has to be the GP32 for me , I actively collect for it still, but commercial games are like finding hens teeth nowadays.

That one little system got me into the emulation game, :D

The Laird

Post by The Laird » Sat Mar 21, 2015 10:12 am

Well, I have done Lynx and Game Gear reviews so thought I better do a Game Boy one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iZNic4n8cEM

Sephiroth81

Post by Sephiroth81 » Sat Mar 21, 2015 2:53 pm

The Laird wrote:Well, I have done Lynx and Game Gear reviews so thought I better do a Game Boy one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iZNic4n8cEM
Cool review. I think what made the Gameboy the success it was, was Tetris. Just handheld perfection. The lynx and GG were impressive, but if you had a long journey, 4 AA batteries and Tetris was brilliant and without parallel.

I am one of those that struggle to play the majority of Gameboy games on the very original hardware, but Tetris is not an issue. I don't think there is much point of owning a Gameboy these days (original), the GBA SP with the backlit or frontlit screen would more than suffice and makes the original GB redundant. Even the non lit ones seem to be a lot clearer, plus improve even further on battery life.

The games library, as you said, is pretty good and very varied. At the time, I only really played Motocross Maniacs, Tetris and Contra/Probotector, as it was my brothers, and i had the Game Gear. These days, I go back more to playing Gameboy games, as I missed them the first time round.

Good effort on trying to capture the Gameboy original screen. Its so difficult, and it requires a very precise amount of light and angling (even without a camera!). I guess the best way to capture it these days is to use either the Super Gameboy or Gameboy Player, but for that green tint authenticity then it has to be camera in front of the screen jobby. I've said it before, but there is a certain charm about that green tint.....its a pity that the on Gameboy SP/color etc there is no option to play it in that green shades (even the colour palette options doesn't cater for it). Black and white is nice and clear, but somehow I get more nostalgic about seeing it in those green shades. Lameboy is a nice emulator which tries to replicate the green, but its not obviously not quite the same using emulators as real hardware (although its insanely close, and feels right as its on the Nintendo DS).

That is quite a battered Gameboy you have. The battery light doesn't work as well?

The Laird

Post by The Laird » Sat Mar 21, 2015 3:06 pm

My brother had Motocross Maniacs too, I loved that game.

I was actually quite surprised how well the GB does hold up today all things considered, I had been playing it most of the day before that video.

A friend gave me that GB years ago and I just stored it away and forgot all about it. I found it when I loved fairly recently and kept it out with a review in mind. I didn't quite realise just how battered it was until I got round to playing on it. My guess is it was dropped more than a few times as the person who gave me it is both very messy and very clumsy!

Capturing it was a nightmare but I wanted to keep it authentic, glad you enjoyed it :D

kiwimike

Post by kiwimike » Sun Mar 22, 2015 6:49 pm

Bluce_Ree wrote:I'm on a bit of a Game and Watch tip at the moment. Doing it via eBay but looking for bargains. Does help when people spell things wrong!
I have a few G&Ws...fun to play and take little room up for collecting. Only problem is the silly prices some go for now, it was fun a few years ago collecting them at junk stores etc cheap, now with the net a lot of people know they are worth selling! :)

Fave handheld, had many over the years, but my fave has to be the 3DS XL. Would like a emulator of some sort for a really decent MAME and Doom on the go :)

Sephiroth81

Post by Sephiroth81 » Mon Mar 23, 2015 5:50 pm

kiwimike wrote:
Bluce_Ree wrote:I'm on a bit of a Game and Watch tip at the moment. Doing it via eBay but looking for bargains. Does help when people spell things wrong!
I have a few G&Ws...fun to play and take little room up for collecting. Only problem is the silly prices some go for now, it was fun a few years ago collecting them at junk stores etc cheap, now with the net a lot of people know they are worth selling! :)

Fave handheld, had many over the years, but my fave has to be the 3DS XL. Would like a emulator of some sort for a really decent MAME and Doom on the go :)
I have a bunch of G&W's in my loft, I didn't realise they had much in the way of value. I don't think they are boxed though, or work anymore!

The Laird

Post by The Laird » Wed Jul 15, 2015 6:32 am

Anyone here ever own a Systema 2000? Probably not given how obscure this handheld console is.

I just did a review of the machine and put it up on You Tube for those who might want to find out more!

Systema 2000 Review