All about the handhelds

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

quangdx

All about the handhelds

Post by quangdx » Wed Oct 29, 2014 12:30 pm

I recently decided to take a group shot of all the handle video game consoles I've collected over the years.

http://instagram.com/p/uqNcblkt-7/

I know which ones I still need to get, but can you name any? There's probably a few I've never even heard of.
Also, which was your favourite handheld? For me it was the Gameboy Color.
It took a console that I loved, the original Gameboy, added Color and doubled the speed of the CPU.
The last of the 8bit consoles that you had to be really clever with your coding to make a good game.
http://aso.bi
the science of play

The Laird

Re: All about the handhelds

Post by The Laird » Wed Oct 29, 2014 1:09 pm

Favourite handheld is the Atari Lynx, no contest. It took 13 years for somebody to come out with a more powerful handheld.

The Lynx was not only well ahead of it's time, putting home consoles to shame in many areas, but also has a superb games library with very few bad titles in it and a thriving homebrew scene too.

I do love my 3DS XL too though, mainly for the Sega 3D games.

quangdx

Post by quangdx » Wed Oct 29, 2014 1:12 pm

The Laird wrote:Favourite handheld is the Atari Lynx, no contest. It took 13 years for somebody to come out with a more powerful handheld.

The Lynx was not only well ahead of it's time, putting home consoles to shame in many areas, but also has a superb games library with very few bad titles in it and a thriving homebrew scene too.

I was a big fan of the Lynx when it came out, but was not a fan of it's huge size and the rate at which it consumed batteries.
Someone needs to make a smaller, actual portable, version of the Lynx that takes the game cards.
I spent many hours playing California Games on the Atari Lynx.
the science of play

joefish

Post by joefish » Wed Oct 29, 2014 1:33 pm

My favourite has to be the GameBoy Micro. Although I've got the even better 3D version on a 3DSXL, having an arcade-quality port of Space Harrier running on something the size of an original gamepad, with a colour screen brighter and clearer than anything before it, was just stunning. I'd put that ahead of the DS models any day for sheer convenience.

I find the DS very front-heavy and awkward to hold; it's only the 3D effect (and that's only any good on the 3DS XL) that makes it worth bothering with.

As for Sony's portables, I find the graphics of things like Uncharted utterly amazing, but that game series in particular is frustratingly linear, and the conversions of big name titles to portable don't properly take account of the smaller display; Nintendo has a much better track record of mobile games.

Games on the Lynx were well adapted for the size of the display too, but I just found the whole thing a bit unwieldy and inconvenient. I also couldn't see much point in a portable device that tethered you to a power supply. SEGA was just as guilty; back then, again, only Nintendo had really factored battery life into its design. And if the cost of proper portability was a monochrome screen, then I (and plenty others) were willing to accept it.

RodimusPrime

Post by RodimusPrime » Wed Oct 29, 2014 1:39 pm

The Laird wrote:Favourite handheld is the Atari Lynx, no contest. It took 13 years for somebody to come out with a more powerful handheld.

Nomad?

Sephiroth81

Post by Sephiroth81 » Wed Oct 29, 2014 1:51 pm

Favourite handheld is a tie between the Nintendo DS Lite, and the PSP Slim.

The DS Lite was nicely designed, has bright screens, and the advantage of the GBA slot for backward compatibility. With an R4 card, you can also put on a nigh on perfect Gameboy/GBC emulator, thus rendering the (brilliant) Gameboy Advance as almost worthless! Master System/Game Gear and NES emulator on it helped a lot to. Great little system, and amazing how cheap you can pick them up for now. Tetris DS is incredible, amongst other many greats.

The PSP Slim is another I've selected for its homebrew and emulator capability. Ran Megadrive games and anything before it a dream. Was pretty decent with the majority of SNES games, with a little bit of optimising required. The PSP library itself was fairly decent, but I have to say, I preferred playing PS1 games on it.

The original Gameboy/pocket/color was decent, and although underpowered and had a dodgy screen (in the early ones at least), it was portable and was a success due to it not trying to just be a scaled down console (where the other two of its era went totally wrong and failed miserably). Its game library is brilliant, memorable and diverse, and puts the Game Gears and Lynx to shame. My cousin had a Lynx, and my brother had the gameboy, and I had the Gamegear - and it was the Gameboy that easily got the most use (and not just because we couldn't keep up with replacing the batteries on the shitty Sega and Atari monsters!)

quangdx

Post by quangdx » Wed Oct 29, 2014 3:03 pm

Sephiroth81 wrote:Favourite handheld is a tie between the Nintendo DS Lite, and the PSP Slim.

The DS Lite was nicely designed, has bright screens, and the advantage of the GBA slot for backward compatibility. With an R4 card, you can also put on a nigh on perfect Gameboy/GBC emulator, thus rendering the (brilliant) Gameboy Advance as almost worthless! Master System/Game Gear and NES emulator on it helped a lot to. Great little system, and amazing how cheap you can pick them up for now. Tetris DS is incredible, amongst other many greats.

The PSP Slim is another I've selected for its homebrew and emulator capability. Ran Megadrive games and anything before it a dream. Was pretty decent with the majority of SNES games, with a little bit of optimising required. The PSP library itself was fairly decent, but I have to say, I preferred playing PS1 games on it.

The original Gameboy/pocket/color was decent, and although underpowered and had a dodgy screen (in the early ones at least), it was portable and was a success due to it not trying to just be a scaled down console (where the other two of its era went totally wrong and failed miserably). Its game library is brilliant, memorable and diverse, and puts the Game Gears and Lynx to shame. My cousin had a Lynx, and my brother had the gameboy, and I had the Gamegear - and it was the Gameboy that easily got the most use (and not just because we couldn't keep up with replacing the batteries on the shitty Sega and Atari monsters!)
If you want a handheld for emulation,
check out the Dingoo A380, all the classic consoles and games in the palm of your hand.
the science of play

the_hawk

Post by the_hawk » Wed Oct 29, 2014 3:19 pm

I had a gameboy, Lynx and a Game Gear at the time.

(I was a bit spoilt, yes but I was obsessed with handhelds)

Of the 3 the Lynx was by far the best, in spite of its battery guzzling & shear size.

I loved Blue Lightning, Xenophobe, Awesome Golf & STUN Runner, oh and Chips Challenge & Road Blasters.

My favourite handheld till the GBA SP came along.
You can follow me on Twitter https://twitter.com/DaveySloan
Sponsor Me http://www.justgiving.com/daveysloan2014

OR type 99 to continue

JamesC

Post by JamesC » Wed Oct 29, 2014 4:18 pm

I'd have to go with the original Game Boy.
It had loads of technical limitation, the screen was small and sometimes hard to see. Despite all that it came packed in with the greatest hand held game of them all and soon boasted a library of genuinely great games.
It was affordable, practically bullet proof and was genuinely portable. I had a stay in hospital when I was 15 and the Game Boy proved its worth ten times over.

Sephiroth81

Post by Sephiroth81 » Wed Oct 29, 2014 5:12 pm

quangdx wrote:
If you want a handheld for emulation,
check out the Dingoo A380, all the classic consoles and games in the palm of your hand.
I do like these kinds of devices. I love the Android based consoles, and the Xperia Play was great (till it broke). Had a Archos Gamepad as well.

The Dingoo A380 probably doesn't have the raw horsepower to play DS games (might play GBA games quite well though) and certainly not PSP games. Would be great for the 8-bit stuff though.

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Wed Oct 29, 2014 6:41 pm

Gameboy for me. Epic huge catalogue of games. People still love playing them all these years later (emulators on every platform)

Other handheld might have had more colours or been more powerful but it didn't matter. Thy failed and were busts

The gameboy and gba ruled supreme. Two epic machines

nokgod

Post by nokgod » Wed Oct 29, 2014 7:09 pm

Sweet collection :)

GBA SP AGS-101 is my favourite handheld. Compatability with all GB games and the best screen to play them all on. WIN WIN!

If you're after suggestions for missing consoles, i don't see a Caanoo in the pic.
sscott wrote:I thought Tomb Raider was the best game of last gen (and I fuck1n hate the Tomb Raider series!)

adippm82

Post by adippm82 » Wed Oct 29, 2014 7:20 pm

I love the Atari Lynx, it was the best handheld for many years that I had, brilliant selection of games, yes it was big, but has continued to give hours of entertainment throughout it's very long life, and the fact that it has continued to have new releases such as the brilliant Alpine Games makes it still very worth while.

Also it is worth noting again that battery technology has come a long way since 1990, a set of Lithium batteries will last about the same time as a 3DS or Vita, I have tried, and my nice 2500 Ma Sanyo rechargeables not much less, I have conducted this little experiment.

Of newer handhelds I also like the GBA AGS 101, and have spent a ridiculous amount of time on my DS XL.

@Quangdx, that is a fantastic collection of handhelds.

quangdx

Post by quangdx » Wed Oct 29, 2014 8:12 pm

nokgod wrote:Sweet collection :)

GBA SP AGS-101 is my favourite handheld. Compatability with all GB games and the best screen to play them all on. WIN WIN!

If you're after suggestions for missing consoles, i don't see a Caanoo in the pic.
Thanks,
And yes, the GBA SP AGS-101 is a most excellent choice. Best of the Gameboys hardware wise.
You are indeed correct the Caanoo is yet to be in my collection, good spot :D
the science of play

quangdx

Post by quangdx » Wed Oct 29, 2014 8:17 pm

adippm82 wrote:I love the Atari Lynx, it was the best handheld for many years that I had, brilliant selection of games, yes it was big, but has continued to give hours of entertainment throughout it's very long life, and the fact that it has continued to have new releases such as the brilliant Alpine Games makes it still very worth while.

Also it is worth noting again that battery technology has come a long way since 1990, a set of Lithium batteries will last about the same time as a 3DS or Vita, I have tried, and my nice 2500 Ma Sanyo rechargeables not much less, I have conducted this little experiment.

Of newer handhelds I also like the GBA AGS 101, and have spent a ridiculous amount of time on my DS XL.

@Quangdx, that is a fantastic collection of handhelds.
That's an excellent point, I really should try some of the older handhelds with new rechargeable batteries and see how long they last.
I'm extremely proud of the CiB collection I've amassed over the years, but the handhelds only cover about 20% of the complete Video game Console collection I have.
I'm finding out about more and more obscure machines as I collect, and it's getting harder and harder to find them Complete in Box.
the science of play