Top 25 Master System Games

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

shiftytigger

Re: Top 25 Master System Games

Post by shiftytigger » Thu Oct 23, 2014 8:54 am

RetroBob wrote:Omg it is! R-Type has a good conversion on the MS, too late tot change mine now though!
Edit - no one will notice!

NickThorpe

Post by NickThorpe » Thu Oct 23, 2014 11:43 am

Especially if they've already put the votes in the count-o-tron...

NorthWay

Post by NorthWay » Thu Oct 23, 2014 5:50 pm

I wish I had something to fill in here. Especially since I have co-workers with SEGAs that I haven't been able to blag yet...

Pointman

Post by Pointman » Thu Oct 23, 2014 8:57 pm

Love the SMS however one thing I will never understand is the exclusion of it's FM sound capabilities in the West. Hearing Japanese games using FM sound is almost like thinking the game is running on a different machine, it's insane how much difference it makes. What we got over here was the most tone deaf console in existence, it's almost as if Sega wanted it to fail. There are still a few great tunes on the system mind you (level 2 of Sonic 1 comes to mind)

Back on topic though, 5 favourite games...

Dynamite Dux (dead easy but has so much charm)
Kenseiden (started it in school, finished it in college. Age hasn't dulled it's blade)
Rastan (not quite as mythical as the arcade but a solid conversion)
Safari Hunt (ace lightgun game. Was one of two games my Mum could finish)
Sonic The Hedgehog (first one of course, miles (hoho) better than the MD version)
Super Secret Bovine Bonus!

MattyC64c

Post by MattyC64c » Fri Oct 24, 2014 6:05 pm

Never owned a Master System, but I have played some games from the system. My favourites, in no particular order are:

Gauntlet - Quite possibly the best 8-bit port of this classic arcade game.
Paperboy
Choplifter
Wonderboy
California Games
Road Rash - A feat that seemed impossible, but somehow the MS does it
Operation Wolf
Golden Axe
Sonic the Hedgehog

RetroBob

Post by RetroBob » Sat Oct 25, 2014 1:23 am

The boss is after top 5s!
Xbox Live: RetroBob

TwoHeadedBoy

Post by TwoHeadedBoy » Sun Oct 26, 2014 5:26 pm

Pointman wrote: Kenseiden (started it in school, finished it in college. Age hasn't dulled it's blade)
I've REALLY tried to enjoy that one, as I love those Shinobi games, but... I can't get past that first boss!
My comics blog (mostly lesser-known UK stuff from the 80s and 90s)
C=Style wrote:It's always refreshing and nice to see someone such as TwoHeadedBoy who is a SNES hating bastard at the best of times rate a SNES game so highly.

kiwimike

Post by kiwimike » Sun Oct 26, 2014 6:08 pm

Pointman wrote:Love the SMS however one thing I will never understand is the exclusion of it's FM sound capabilities in the West. Hearing Japanese games using FM sound is almost like thinking the game is running on a different machine, it's insane how much difference it makes. What we got over here was the most tone deaf console in existence, it's almost as if Sega wanted it to fail. There are still a few great tunes on the system mind you (level 2 of Sonic 1 comes to mind)

Back on topic though, 5 favourite games...

Dynamite Dux (dead easy but has so much charm)
Kenseiden (started it in school, finished it in college. Age hasn't dulled it's blade)
Rastan (not quite as mythical as the arcade but a solid conversion)
Safari Hunt (ace lightgun game. Was one of two games my Mum could finish)
Sonic The Hedgehog (first one of course, miles (hoho) better than the MD version)

Hi there...Welcome! Great post#1...because I'm pleased I'm not the only one who voted for Kenseiden. It's a great game, looks good and quite a tough challenge in spots :)

kiwimike

Post by kiwimike » Sun Oct 26, 2014 6:10 pm

TwoHeadedBoy wrote:
Pointman wrote: Kenseiden (started it in school, finished it in college. Age hasn't dulled it's blade)
I've REALLY tried to enjoy that one, as I love those Shinobi games, but... I can't get past that first boss!
Cool, another Kenseiden nod. Some of those bosses were real shitters and took some perseverance :lol:

ArchaicKoala

Post by ArchaicKoala » Mon Oct 27, 2014 7:41 am

Hmm... Quite a tough one here...

1) Alex Kidd in Miracle World - I'd be surprised if this wasn't the first game everyone played on the Master System. It controls well, looks great and the mix of game styles adds a nice bit of variety
2) Sonic the Hedgehog - To me this was overall superior to the Megadrive version. don't get me wrong I'm a big fan of the Megadrive version but something about this version just pulls me back more
3) Castle of Illusion - Another title that I prefer to its 16bit big brother. The game has a much more in tune visual style in that it really reminds me of watching a Disney cartoon whereas the 16bit version although again it looks great is as if lets say... Tim Burton designed it. I appreciated the 16bit version more from a visual standpoint as I got older but the 8bit version just edges it for me.
4) Asterix - Another platformer to the list... Great graphics, good controls and a nice difficulty curve. The ability to choose either Asterix or Obelix and both characters having there own respective levels essentially gives you two games in one for added replayability
5) Lucky Dime Caper - Yet another colourful and pretty Master System platformer. The game does have a fair few issues with the controls (in my opinion) and the difficulty does seem to sky rocket after the first 3 levels but it still has that Sega Disney charm that still draws me back in for another play-through

learnedrobb

Post by learnedrobb » Mon Oct 27, 2014 3:36 pm

Castle of Illusion: Looks absolutely stunning for an 8-Bit console. Plays damn well, too.
Sonic The Hedgehog: Not a conversion of the MD original, but an entirely new game. Has some nice, unique levels (such as the Jungle/Waterfall), and again it plays brilliantly.
Phantasy Star: Stunning game. Deep story, amazing 3-D dungeons, and stick in the head music. My vote for the best 8-Bit RPG ever.
Basketball Nightmare: OK, it doesn't look too great, and it has a simple bug that all but guarantees you can win every game, but it holds a special place in my heart.
Master of Darkness: Castlevania rip-off? Yup. But why not rip off something awesome? Plays great, and is a pretty decent challenge for most gamers. Looks pretty decent too.
NES/N64/GC/Wii/WiiU/SMD/SS/DC/PS1/PS2/PS3/PS4/Xbox/360/OneS/PSP/3DS/PSV
PSN: learnedrobb

TwoHeadedBoy

Post by TwoHeadedBoy » Tue Oct 28, 2014 5:27 am

learnedrobb wrote:Master of Darkness: Castlevania rip-off? Yup. But why not rip off something awesome? Plays great, and is a pretty decent challenge for most gamers. Looks pretty decent too.
Cracking game, that - if you haven't already, try the SMS version of Bram Stoker's Dracula. Plays/looks similar to Master of Darkness, only faster and with bigger sprites.
My comics blog (mostly lesser-known UK stuff from the 80s and 90s)
C=Style wrote:It's always refreshing and nice to see someone such as TwoHeadedBoy who is a SNES hating bastard at the best of times rate a SNES game so highly.

flatapex

Post by flatapex » Tue Oct 28, 2014 5:34 am

TwoHeadedBoy wrote:
learnedrobb wrote:Master of Darkness: Castlevania rip-off? Yup. But why not rip off something awesome? Plays great, and is a pretty decent challenge for most gamers. Looks pretty decent too.
Cracking game, that - if you haven't already, try the SMS version of Bram Stoker's Dracula. Plays/looks similar to Master of Darkness, only faster and with bigger sprites.
both fantastic games and would be on my top 5

speaking of which my top 5

1. dracula
2. master of darkness
3. micro machines
4. world grand prix
5. rampart

ArchaicKoala

Post by ArchaicKoala » Tue Oct 28, 2014 7:46 am

flatapex wrote: 4. world grand prix
Good call on World Grand Prix :) A lot of people over look it because of the seemingly more popular Hang On. Both are great games though

flatapex

Post by flatapex » Wed Oct 29, 2014 6:21 am

ArchaicKoala wrote:
flatapex wrote: 4. world grand prix
Good call on World Grand Prix :) A lot of people over look it because of the seemingly more popular Hang On. Both are great games though
great and totally different.

as well as the course design it also sneaked in layouts for real tracks :lol: