Epic crashes

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

joefish

Re: Epic crashes

Post by joefish » Thu Oct 23, 2014 7:40 pm

AvP on the PS3 completely locked up on me at one point. I only paid a few quid for it in GAME's fire sale, so I though 'fusk this' and it went straight in the bin.

Sonic & SEGA All-Stars Racing Transformed on the 3DS keeps momentarily freezing - more than enough to throw you off completely. Fortunately I was only playing the demo.

You could get some quite pretty crashes on the ZX Spectrum when programming machine code. If you had a lot of small numbers on the stack and accidentally jumped into the ROM, it would keep popping in and out of ROM routines and you could get multi-coloured garbage all over the screen and then funny-coloured border stripes as if it was loading or saving in all the wrong colours.

There was a ROM sort-of bug in telling it to draw an arc (in BASIC) or more than 360° - so long as it was small enough to stay within the screen boundaries, it would go off on some crazy Spirograph-style swirly pattern drawing.

Don't think I've ever crashed an arcade game. I did come across an invincibility bug once in Bubble Bobble, but once you get both players stuck in narrow pits in the scenery, you're screwed.

Kaptain_Von

Post by Kaptain_Von » Thu Oct 23, 2014 10:14 pm

Mine was a double crash. An actual crash in the PC version of Carmageddon sent my car spinning over a drop only for it to plummet through the ground on landing and into a formless grey ether. It was actually quite relaxing watching the car slowly tumble through the nothingness raising all kinds of questions on the meaning of existence :)
Cue the music, fade to black...
----------------------------------------------------------
http://kaptainskonfessions.blogspot.com/

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Fri Oct 24, 2014 12:41 am

Kaptain_Von wrote:Mine was a double crash. An actual crash in the PC version of Carmageddon sent my car spinning over a drop only for it to plummet through the ground on landing and into a formless grey ether. It was actually quite relaxing watching the car slowly tumble through the nothingness raising all kinds of questions on the meaning of existence :)
Welcome back, good to see you still drop by.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

kelp7

Post by kelp7 » Fri Oct 24, 2014 3:02 pm

Awesome replies, thanks all :)

Just had another Sonic & All Stars Racing Transformed the other day where I hit my boat on another player and then on the side of the wall in such a way that it flipped me over and so high into the air that I missed the 'transform' hoop you usually pass through just as I came to the next bit of road, so my boat didn't actually transform to a car and I was stuck as a boat on the road moving at approx. a few pixels forward every few seconds. It kept thinking I'd come off the track and kept putting me back there as a boat, on the road.... weirdness...
MZ-80A Secrets
http://mz-80a.com