Epic crashes

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer

kelp7

Epic crashes

Post by kelp7 » Sat Oct 18, 2014 5:24 pm

Just wondering, after experiencing a particularly nasty crash of Sonic All-Stars on the Wii U the other day (whole screen turned to corrupt screen memory / white noise and the sound was a continuous very loud tone sounding a bit like a constant Atari 2600 crunchy noise), anyone remember any particularly excellent / weird / bad / or just plain funny crashes on any games you've owned in the past?

[EDIT] : On a personal level, another amusing one was when a friend and I were programming a 1st-person perspective 3D maze game, a bit like a 3D Pacman game around '92 or '93 on his Amstrad PC and when we were testing it out something weird happened which we hadn't predicted in the workings of the code where we rounded a corner in the maze only to come across the back of our own character's head. Utter weirdness at the time...
MZ-80A Secrets
http://mz-80a.com

Negative Creep

Re: Epic crashes

Post by Negative Creep » Sat Oct 18, 2014 8:26 pm

I remember managing to crash Playstation Doom by going to the Courtyard and seeing how many monsters I could get on screen, only for the whole game to go into a text dump

samhain81

Post by samhain81 » Sat Oct 18, 2014 8:49 pm

The only crash that still haunts me to this day.

Metal Gear Solid 1 - PS1

I can't remember what boss it was (Sniper Wolf?). Well, it was just after having beat her and you go through the door with the sudden prompt to insert disc 2. With no reason to suspect anything dodgy, I put in disc 2. Low and behold, Snake is stuck in the door and refuses to move. If I moved him slightly, he turned back around prompting me to put cd1 back in. After about 20 dozen attempts in hope that it would recognize the transition, and unglitch itself, I gave up. Suffice to say, this was the end of my relationship with Solid Snake. No way I was going through that again

outdated_gamer

Post by outdated_gamer » Sat Oct 18, 2014 10:35 pm

I'm a PC gamer so I'm used to crashing games... :wink:

There were instances where console games froze or stopped responding too though. Usually the reset button was the sollution (contrasted by ctrl + alt + del on the PC :wink: ).

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Sun Oct 19, 2014 5:11 pm

I've had a few but nothing too exteme. The last I had was when playing Dukes of Hazzard: Racing for Home on the PS1 for the purposes of a review. Was trying to blast through it quickly as it wasn't too difficult and nearly 2 hours went up in a puff of smoke when the game just froze on a black screen as it attempted to load in the next level.

The funniest was one that I've only seen rather than experienced. When save data gets corrupted in Castlevania Aria of Sorrow for the DS, the notification displays on one screen while the other shows a crucifix as if mocking the player :lol:
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

Treguard

Post by Treguard » Mon Oct 20, 2014 10:54 am

I remember EA Rugby 2005 on the PS2 being so badly made kicking for touch ended up with the game being stuck on an endless loop showing an empty stand, not responding to anything you do. Reseting was the only option.

thingonaspring

Post by thingonaspring » Mon Oct 20, 2014 11:05 am

this isn't epic/major/nasty etc, but since i only read it the other day, i thought it was quite amusing:

flatapex

Post by flatapex » Mon Oct 20, 2014 9:46 pm

Indycar racing 2 on pc. Think it was the road america circuit.

quangdx

Post by quangdx » Tue Oct 21, 2014 12:06 pm

I was rocking the Double Dragon arcade machine down at the Four Quarters Bar,
Threw and elbow on the boss fight of level two and the game decided to freeze and flip upside down.

http://aso.bi
the science of play

Misery

Post by Misery » Tue Oct 21, 2014 2:03 pm

.....okay I had one I was going to add to this, but the upside-down Double Dragon there caused a brain crash instead.

That's one of the best things of that sort I've seen, I'm totally saving that image.

Son_of_Shinobi

Post by Son_of_Shinobi » Tue Oct 21, 2014 4:21 pm

quangdx wrote:I was rocking the Double Dragon arcade machine down at the Four Quarters Bar,
Threw and elbow on the boss fight of level two and the game decided to freeze and flip upside down.

Ive also had one on DD in same area on arcade version

If memory serves, I did a move and then became trapped by the wall and couldnt move...game just froze up

Negative Creep

Post by Negative Creep » Tue Oct 21, 2014 7:35 pm

Never had it myself, but apparently there is a bug towards the end of SNES Jurassic Park that will freeze the game if you open doors in the wrong sequence. Oh, and there are no passwords or continues, so it's right back to the beginning after you reset.......

gunbladelad

Post by gunbladelad » Tue Oct 21, 2014 8:22 pm

I've had quite a few Theme Park DS crashes related to the Roller Coaster. Simply put, when you're getting messages to replace it due to the age, if you close the ride then delete it, the game crashes. I've found the only way to avoid it is to have poor sods actually on the ride when you delete it - but that often has the result of the unhappy punter being glitched to outside the park (usually off to the left) bringing down the happiness rating of everyone.

Most people that have played Phantasy Star Online will be aware of the "BSOD" (Buzzing Screen of Death) or "FSOD" (Frozen Screen of Death) which plagued some players back on the official servers.

While not a crash, I've had quite a few funny glitches occur on AvP2 on the PC - usually linked to the Xenomorph's wall-walk ability.
Where logic won't work, I will

Sel Feena

Post by Sel Feena » Wed Oct 22, 2014 3:14 pm

thingonaspring wrote:this isn't epic/major/nasty etc, but since i only read it the other day, i thought it was quite amusing:

That's not a bug, it's a feature. :wink:

playzooki

Post by playzooki » Thu Oct 23, 2014 6:37 pm

i once caused a massive pileup on Nascar 09 :P