Zipsticks

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

soopytwist

Zipsticks

Post by soopytwist » Tue Oct 14, 2014 12:49 pm

Are the old Zipsticks still the best control method for the 8 and 16-bits? I remember having two but they both broke and the huge beige sticks that came with my C64 didn't last five minutes.

I got my C64, Spectrum+ and Amiga down from the loft recently and suddenly realised I don't actually have any joysticks anymore apart from one Cheetah Bollistik that is absolutely horrendous to use. I thought of buying a Zipstick or two off eBay because they can be used with all three of those systems. Just wondered if there are better controllers out there somewhere.

Dam

Re: Zipsticks

Post by Dam » Tue Oct 14, 2014 1:17 pm

You don't get the 'authentic experience', but I use a master system controller on my spectrum via an adaptor I bought on ebay for about £3. It said it worked with a megadrive pad too, but I only have 6 button pads, and it doesn't seem to work with them.

Someone said using a megadrive pad on a C64 works, but can knacker the computer, however you can get cheap copies which are specifically wired so that they are OK.

I also use a meagdrive pad on the 2600, cos those Atari joysticks, as iconic as they may be, are terrible.

paranoid marvin

Post by paranoid marvin » Tue Oct 14, 2014 3:29 pm

Tunes joystick? No, it had a penchant to move to the diagonals, and those lozenge shaped Fire buttons were just wrong

Comp Pro (microswitched) was the king of sticks, although the Konix Speed King ran it close.
Mr Flibble says...
"Game over , boys!"

PostieDoc

Post by PostieDoc » Tue Oct 14, 2014 4:37 pm

Competition pro or zipstick.
The problem with buying them from ebay is that it is hard to get one in good condition.
I know a guy who sorts out my joysticks for me, he swears by Quickshot II Turbo.

paranoid marvin

Post by paranoid marvin » Tue Oct 14, 2014 5:12 pm

PostieDoc wrote:Competition pro or zipstick.
The problem with buying them from ebay is that it is hard to get one in good condition.
I know a guy who sorts out my joysticks for me, he swears by Quickshot II Turbo.

Only good things about the QIIT was that it looked good and was microswitched; very popular back in the day but also had a very short lifespan.
Mr Flibble says...
"Game over , boys!"

TMR

Post by TMR » Wed Oct 15, 2014 5:41 am

soopytwist wrote:Are the old Zipsticks still the best control method for the 8 and 16-bits? I remember having two but they both broke and the huge beige sticks that came with my C64 didn't last five minutes.
Zipstiks are usually more sturdy than that, i have a dozen for events and a couple for home use that have taken decades of punishment without complaint; i do have a couple that need new microswitches and another where there is a break in the cable, but no joystick is perfect. =-)

soopytwist

Post by soopytwist » Wed Oct 15, 2014 12:44 pm

You'd think there'd be a market for manufacturers to still make multi-platform joysticks for the old systems, since retro gaming is a pretty big hobby. I'd rather buy a brand new Zipstick than one off eBay that might be worn out - although there seems to be plenty of microswitches available to buy.

paranoid marvin

Post by paranoid marvin » Wed Oct 15, 2014 12:44 pm

TMR wrote:
soopytwist wrote:Are the old Zipsticks still the best control method for the 8 and 16-bits? I remember having two but they both broke and the huge beige sticks that came with my C64 didn't last five minutes.
Zipstiks are usually more sturdy than that, i have a dozen for events and a couple for home use that have taken decades of punishment without complaint; i do have a couple that need new microswitches and another where there is a break in the cable, but no joystick is perfect. =-)

Apart from the Comp Pro! :D
Mr Flibble says...
"Game over , boys!"

paranoid marvin

Post by paranoid marvin » Wed Oct 15, 2014 12:46 pm

soopytwist wrote:You'd think there'd be a market for manufacturers to still make multi-platform joysticks for the old systems, since retro gaming is a pretty big hobby. I'd rather buy a brand new Zipstick than one off eBay that might be worn out - although there seems to be plenty of microswitches available to buy.

Most people are happy to use a pad; indeed most people (esp the younger ones) have never used anything BUT a pad.

There have been USB Comp Pro joysticks, but the aren't as good as the models made back in the day - ironically they cost more though!
Mr Flibble says...
"Game over , boys!"

TMR

Post by TMR » Wed Oct 15, 2014 2:28 pm

paranoid marvin wrote:
TMR wrote:Zipstiks are usually more sturdy than that, i have a dozen for events and a couple for home use that have taken decades of punishment without complaint; i do have a couple that need new microswitches and another where there is a break in the cable, but no joystick is perfect. =-)
Apart from the Comp Pro! :D
i've had Competition Pros but i still have Zipstiks, one is more robust than the other and it isn't the Comp Pro. =-)
paranoid marvin wrote:There have been USB Comp Pro joysticks, but the aren't as good as the models made back in the day - ironically they cost more though!
There's also the Competition Pro Retro which is i believe the same plastics as the USB version but sporting a standard nine pin connector. Cost is a problem when trying to reproduce old accessories or parts though, the market isn't big enough for the economies of scale that made these things cheap to manufacture in the 1980s so the price tag has to be increased to cover the extra costs.

quantum

Post by quantum » Thu Oct 16, 2014 11:45 am

paranoid marvin wrote:Tunes joystick? No, it had a penchant to move to the diagonals, and those lozenge shaped Fire buttons were just wrong

Comp Pro (microswitched) was the king of sticks, although the Konix Speed King ran it close.
To each their own. I hate Comp Pro. :twisted: It was always the stick no one wanted when playing KO2 or Sensi.

Got a good condition zipstick off eBay last month for £5... you just need to time it right else you'll pay £20 :D

How about a game screenshot quiz? Amiga, DOS, Megadrive and Commodore 64.