Wii U

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

The Laird

Re: Wii U

Post by The Laird » Sat Oct 18, 2014 7:54 am

Sephiroth81 wrote: This generation is still fairly new, but it has to be so far the most uninspiring generation of consoles since I can remember.
Agreed, there is nothing out there that has really set the world alight like previous generations (yet, anyway). I am still going to get a Xbox One after Xmas though.

kelp7

Post by kelp7 » Sat Oct 18, 2014 1:21 pm

PostieDoc wrote:Does anyone here own the Wii U?

I really want to play Bayonetta 2 and am trying to work out if it is worth getting a Wii U for.
It is available for £240 on Amazon which seems like a good price (32GB, controller and a game).
Is 32GB standard or does it come with more or less?

The Wii U gets a lot of hate on the web so I just want to know from owners of it what they think.
It's a very good system with not enough games at the moment, really. Although there is currently a free demo download of Bayonetta 2 on the shop. Got ours about a year ago from Blockbusters who seemed to be selling them off, ours was 149 quid. It's only the 8gb model, so in the end I bought a pretty cheap external USB HD off Amazon which has given us an extra 80gb. Had to use a USB y-cable to power it though as there's not quite enough power off a single Wii U USB port. Sonic & All Stars Racing is excellent, as is Mario Kart 8. Haven't got onto Pikmin 3 yet as I'm pretty new to the series and just finishing off Pikmin 2 at the mo. Reckon I'll be trying to get Donkey Kong Tropical Freeze next or perhaps the Super Mario 3D World. Have been playing a lot of the Sports Club Tennis online, great fun!
MZ-80A Secrets
http://mz-80a.com

sscott

Post by sscott » Sat Oct 18, 2014 3:56 pm

gman72 wrote:
Sephiroth81 wrote:
This generation is still fairly new, but it has to be so far the most uninspiring generation of consoles since I can remember.
Each to their own. Im enjoying this new gen immensely. Let's not forget that it has got at least five years in it maybe more. About a year in and im having tons of fun and looking forward to the gaming future.
Agreed. Been great so far, about a year in and looking forward to the next 12 months. Re: Wii-U My son has had lots of fun with the Wii U (particularly MK8 and Skylanders) and we've enjoyed playing Windwaker together, never had the love for Smash Bros but might pick up the Donkey Knog game that came out a few months ago. E-shop is very poor so far. Not played the Bayonetta 2 demo I'be downloaded but some people would think its the second coming!

Misery

Post by Misery » Sat Oct 18, 2014 9:26 pm

Sephiroth81 wrote:This generation is still fairly new, but it has to be so far the most uninspiring generation of consoles since I can remember.
Yeah, I'll agree with this one. Granted I wasnt all that fond of the previous gen, but...

The Wii U is a nice enough device, but the selection of games is still extremely limited if you dont like all of Nintendo's franchises. In my case I mostly only like Mario; well, there's also Kirby, but as really easy games dont hold my attention whatsoever these days (and I've never played a Kirby game that WASNT really easy) I've ignored those (for now anyway). Donkey Kong might still be nice it looks like though. The rest I've no interest in for now.

The 3DS is okay, though I have it mostly for Smash and the virtual console stuff.

And then of course there's the other two consoles.... yeah, I'll get a PS4, but I'll have ONE game for it, and likely ONLY one. Other than LittleBigPlanet I've not heard of anything interesting, be it already released or in development, at least as far as console exclusives go; if there's something that also hits PC, there's no conceivable reason for me to bother with the console version. The Xbone I dont care about at all. That thing can go jump off a cliff or something.

gman72

Post by gman72 » Sun Oct 19, 2014 7:07 am

Misery wrote:The Xbone I dont care about at all. That thing can go jump off a cliff or something.
followed by all those dreadful so called gaming PCs.
“To gain your own voice, you have to forget about having it heard.” —Allen Ginsberg, WD

Sel Feena

Post by Sel Feena » Sun Oct 19, 2014 7:19 am

^I've never understood the term gaming PC, my laptop is absolute bobbins and there's still plenty of good stuff I can run on it.

Wii U looks the most tempting choice for next gen for me right now, with a Zelda flavoured Dynasty Warriors knockoff and Bayo 2. I'm still waiting for all 3 next gen consoles to have a library I'd be really interested in though, although that's not the same as saying there's nothing out on them obviously.

Misery

Post by Misery » Sun Oct 19, 2014 7:45 am

gman72 wrote:
Misery wrote:The Xbone I dont care about at all. That thing can go jump off a cliff or something.
The ones with the thousands of games of all levels and genres as well as roms of most old ones from every console as well as arcade games that cant be played any other way? VS the Xbone with it's very limited and usually uncreative selection (big publishers dont take risks, after all) and not enough differences from the PS4 to warrant my attention? Not to mention that many of the big games end up on PC as well anyway...

Yes, I can see the issue there. :D

My typical sarcasm aside, I dont actually have anything against Microsoft beyond the usual "Windows is annoying", which I can typically deal with on my own anyway since I've been into computers since I was 6; and even then it's mostly only annoying when dealing with more advanced stuff and deep fiddling (which I do alot of; it'll do what *I* want or it'll.... crash for the bazillionth time, damn thing!). But with a PS4 in hand already... even though it's usage will be EXTREMELY limited to me to start with, there's just no reason to get the third console at all. If I *did* think of even one worthwhile reason, I'd just go buy the damn thing, since I only really need one reason at this point. But I havent found one. And hell, if there's any suggestions that DO NOT involve the FPS genre or functions that arent gaming (already WAY too many devices in this house that do every other thing), then by all means, give them to me. As if I find something that's interesting enough, I'll just go buy the bloody thing later. Until then, it can lay at the bottom of that pit that I suggested it leap into, as opposed to pointlessly laying in the tangled spiderweb of 8 bazillion cables that hangs from the front of this blasted excuse for a desk. I dont even remember what half of them do anymore.

Still, I give Nintendo that, for any failings they may have, they at least have CREATIVITY... they dont get absolutely stuck in a rut, as far as design goes, and even 3rd party devs seem to go along with this concept when making games for their device. Their selection is still very small compared to what I'm used to, but there's VARIETY.... which I suppose is the true reason I finally decided to get one (and the 3DS), since it's also the core reason I'm into PC gaming. I dont say that about the original Wii because anything interesting was immediately drowned in a deluge of silly arm waving (which I cannot do even if for some silly reason I actually wanted to) and party games. Hell, that thing even had a couple of roguelikes on it, as in, ones that were full releases, not downloaded games.... but good luck even KNOWING that, since they were buried for all time in a tomb made of jittery Wiimotes.

Misery

Post by Misery » Sun Oct 19, 2014 7:48 am

Sel Feena wrote:^I've never understood the term gaming PC, my laptop is absolute bobbins and there's still plenty of good stuff I can run on it.

Wii U looks the most tempting choice for next gen for me right now, with a Zelda flavoured Dynasty Warriors knockoff and Bayo 2. I'm still waiting for all 3 next gen consoles to have a library I'd be really interested in though, although that's not the same as saying there's nothing out on them obviously.
USUALLY the term gaming PC when used by most people means "super high end PC that can do AMAAAAAZING graphics!!!111".

While my main PC *is* super high end, "gaming PC" to me just means "PC with a zillion games on it". Even the downright ancient machines that sit under my bed and in the closet are "gaming PCs".

Whereas "work PC" typically means "PC belonging to someone in my family that I have to fix every 5 minutes".

gman72

Post by gman72 » Sun Oct 19, 2014 9:00 am

Misery wrote:
gman72 wrote:
The ones with the thousands of games of all levels and genres as well as roms of most old ones from every console as well as arcade games that cant be played any other way?
As well as your constantly crashing desk sized set up covered in a sea of wires that will play an endless stream of RTS games and all the games still use the ancient and archaic mouse and keys control method :lol: ... yes they're the ones i mean.
“To gain your own voice, you have to forget about having it heard.” —Allen Ginsberg, WD

Misery

Post by Misery » Sun Oct 19, 2014 9:35 am

gman72 wrote:As well as your constantly crashing desk sized set up covered in a sea of wires that will play an endless stream of RTS games and all the games still use the ancient and archaic mouse and keys control method :lol: ... yes they're the ones i mean.

RTS games? Mouse and keyboard? Ah, usually those saying that are those that dont actually know much about PC gaming.

Let's see: I have no RTS games, I dont really do MMOs these days even (WoW is boring, Most MMOs are clones of WoW), that's the two genres most associated with PC gaming. And of course I'm not into FPS too much. I like platformers, arcade games, roguelikes, strategy (turn-based only, really dislike RTS), sandbox, action, Metroidvania, horror (when done RIGHT, which is rare), retro, shmups, and lots of games that use procedural generation. And then a pile of online competetive types, and I also like trading-card games (yeah, I'd rather play with physical cards, but in my area that's not possible). All of those are what the consoles just dont have much of (except for Nintendo doing quite well with platformers right now for me, I have to say), and what the vast majority of my collection on here is. Adventure games and multiple subgenres of RPGs (including JRPGs) are also very common, but usually not my sort of thing really. Unless you're talking old Wizardry-style RPGs, hah, I love those. Did you REALLY think it was JUST RTS games and such? Cant forget roms either; since I"m such a fan of older arcade games, I have The Archive, which is about 7000 arcade roms. It turns out there were some SERIOUSLY bizarre games released way back then in arcades...

Also: I use a controller for... well, anything that isnt an FPS or a strategy game. PS3 controller specifically, though a 360 one will also work. Doesnt matter what game it is: I'll bloody well force it to use a controller if it doesnt already support one (and many these days do, as many players just find them better for certain genres, so more developers support them now). In other words, even with hundreds upon hundreds of games on here, it's extremely rare that I get one that I use the mouse/keyboard on, even if that's all they technically suuport. I just find that control method annoying. hell, even the PC version of Minecraft... I *had* to use a controller for that back when it first appeared, as my arm was really screwed up and I couldnt do much with the mouse, so I've gotten so used to using the controller for it that I cant go back. I was using a controller briefly for Diablo 3 as well; this was the only one that was actually complicated to set up.

And my machine doesnt crash unless I screw with it. Most users wont actually do this, being that they wont know HOW (and wont want to anyway). I learn by experimenting though, and it's my bloody machine, so I'll jab it with a cattle-prod when I feel like it :P Besides, experimenting with it is fun. Like being a mad scientist except that sometimes useful stuff actually comes out of it. Sometimes.

As for the size, just depends on the machine type. A powerful "gaming rig" like mine is a bloated whale. Most users just dont need that much power though even if they ARE using it primarily for gaming, and machines that arent stupidly expensive are typically alot smaller. .....or just get a laptop. That one's up to personal preference. As for the wires.... you'd be surprised. Alot of that ISNT the PC. Which is dumb. I have very few peripherals for the PC, so it doesnt have much going into it. Speakers, keyboard, mouse (but only because I prefer wired to wireless, because.... because. Most people seem to use wireless these days, for the mouse and sometimes the keyboard) and the controller and monitor. The OTHER wires are related to other gizmos... the TV, which has 3 wires, I dont remember what the 3rd one is for, the Wii U now, which has.... uhh... some number... the PS3's wires are there for when I see the need to use it, and of course the router and modem. And then the 7800, which actually has ALOT of wires. WAY too many controllers, you see. I really dont know why I have so many. 2 normal ones, 2, paddles, 2 big flat blue things, the keypad. And then there's a purple wire in here that goes to who knows what. There's more than that, but you get the idea, haha. I dont know what "organized" means. It's not a spiderweb because of the PC: It's a spiderweb because of me. And it's not the worst of the cable tangles. I've got the Cordball, and a drawer that's just solid cables, hell if I even know what's in there anymore. I think I showed a photo of the cordball once.

gman72

Post by gman72 » Sun Oct 19, 2014 9:46 am

oh, yeah, i forgot PCs dont ever crash :lol:

Misery

Post by Misery » Sun Oct 19, 2014 9:52 am

gman72 wrote:oh, yeah, i forgot PCs dont ever crash :lol:

Not if you know what you're doing.

Just running normal games? It aint gonna happen. If a machine is gonna crash, it's because someone's made a mistake somewhere (or because a part is dying, which can happen with consoles too). And of course cant forget viruses... which have nothing to do with gaming, and everything to do with idiocy. THOSE are easy to avoid.

I've been working with the godforsaken machines since forever, so mine is always fine. And I'm absolutely freaking paranoid about...... everything, so it has many layers of protection on it.

It's only true problem is a lack of file organization, due to a lack of me caring about doing that part.

If I had to pick one thing though that I REALLY dont like about computers.... it's the touchpads on laptops. ARGH, I say. Argh. I hate them. So much. I disable it and use a mouse when I'm using one. Aint putting up with that crap, nope nope nope.

gman72

Post by gman72 » Sun Oct 19, 2014 9:56 am

well thats all lovely. You go play with your compatibilty errors and lets go back to Topic and talk about the WiiU. :D

Misery

Post by Misery » Sun Oct 19, 2014 10:21 am

Hah! I aint had a compatibility error in a LOOOOONG time. Fortunately, those are mostly a thing of the past now. Automatic driver management! Ah, but back 8 to 10 years ago.... so many. SO MANY. "Wide range support", nobody knew what it was. Developers eventually figured out that games that dont work dont sell.

As for the Wii U, it very suddenly occurred to me that I could get access to the previous Virtual Console selection by using the Wii Mode.... but that means the damn wiimote too. Ugh. Still, waaayyyy more to choose from. Including the Turbografx or whatever it's called. Need that, yep...

I would like to see more added for the U's version of it though. It seems to seriously just be Nintendo and Capcom's own games... not really much else. Why Capcom, I'm not really sure.... Downloadable games I aint looked into all that much. At least the thing seems to have a decently sized HDD.

PostieDoc

Post by PostieDoc » Sun Oct 19, 2014 10:40 am

Can we not turn my thread into a PC vs Console debate please, there are loads of those over on IGN every day.