Best game genre trend?

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

Was

Pong clones (mid-late 70s)
No votes
Space Invaders clones and derivates (late 70 to late 80s/early 90s)
5%
Platformers (mid 80s to early-mid 90s; re-popularized in late 90s in 3-D form)
26%
Fighters (early 90s to mid 90s; re-popularized in late 90s in 3-D form)
21%
Doom clones (early to mid 90s)
16%
Japanese RPGs (mid to late 90s)
16%
"Twitch" first-person shooters (late 90s, early 00s)
No votes
"Sandbox" action adventures (early 00s, modern times)
16%
Cover-based third-person shooters (mid 00s, modern times)
No votes
Call of Duty "want-to-be"s (late 00s, modern times)
No votes

Total votes: 19

IronMaidenRule

Re: Best game genre trend?

Post by IronMaidenRule » Sat Oct 04, 2014 5:02 pm

I went for Sandbox games, really enjoy these types of games, can't think what the first one would be Ant Attack or Hunter?

Guitar_Geek

Post by Guitar_Geek » Sat Oct 04, 2014 7:27 pm

Got to be JRPGs. For me, nothing will ever come close to games like Chrono Trigger or Final Fantasy VI.

Shinobi

Post by Shinobi » Sat Oct 04, 2014 7:55 pm

How come no scrolling fighters incredibly popular from the mid 1980's Renegade/Kung Fu Master to late 1990's Alien vs Predator, Dungeons and Dragon etc
"Crush the Old Order and CREATE A NEW SOCIETY!"

felgekarp

Post by felgekarp » Sat Oct 04, 2014 8:08 pm

How come no marriage/dating simulators, popularised in japan in the 80s? They're my fave but in their place I voted sandbox games, I can't quite explain it but having a decent sized city I can run/jump around in for a bit without actually having to do anything really appeals to me, so it's more sandbox games where the main game has been completed.
Splink!

outdated_gamer

Post by outdated_gamer » Sat Oct 04, 2014 9:24 pm

RodimusPrime wrote:That list is totally out of kilter, we are supposed to be talking about periods of gaming when certain gnres and styles became popular are we not.

As Laird said, where are the double dragon, streets of rage, final fight type games. unless you were living under a rock they had a huge boom period.

And no side crolling of vertical shhoters, really?

RTS clones all following in the footsteps of the likes of command and conquer, point and click games. I am sure a few older gamers would have liked the choice of text adventures.

Some really big trends missed.
Side-scrolling shooters fall into "Space Invaders derivates" category. You may be right it would be better to omit some newer trends in favour of some older ones though. But the poll is as is and you can always tell an other, non-included option... :wink:

PostieDoc

Post by PostieDoc » Sun Oct 05, 2014 4:29 am

Well I wanted to vote for strategy games as I have loved them ever since the likes of Vulcan released for the Speccy.
They are still going strong today thanks to Slitherine, Paradox and co.

I guess I'll vote sandbox as I like Bethesda games, am currently enjoying State Of Decay and Midwinter is one of my all time favourites.

I agree with others that it is quite a strange list in that some genres are well covered while others are totally ignored.

RodimusPrime

Post by RodimusPrime » Sun Oct 05, 2014 5:30 am

outdated_gamer wrote:
RodimusPrime wrote:That list is totally out of kilter, we are supposed to be talking about periods of gaming when certain gnres and styles became popular are we not.

As Laird said, where are the double dragon, streets of rage, final fight type games. unless you were living under a rock they had a huge boom period.

RTS clones all following in the footsteps of the likes of command and conquer, point and click games. I am sure a few older gamers would have liked the choice of text adventures.

Side-scrolling shooters fall into "Space Invaders derivates" category. You may be right it would be better to omit some newer trends in favour of some older ones though. But the poll is as is and you can always tell an other, non-included option... :wink:
Wait, what. Side scrolling shooters are space invader deriatives. since when.

Fans of the genre may have something to say to you about that. Defender deriatives maybe, but certainly not space invaders. vertical shooters are if anything deriatives of space invaders. Please, please don't tell me you consider vertical and side scrolling shooters the same.

thats like shoving streetfighter games and final fight games into the same genre.

outdated_gamer

Post by outdated_gamer » Sun Oct 05, 2014 6:44 am

RodimusPrime wrote:
outdated_gamer wrote:

Fans of the genre may have something to say to you about that. Defender deriatives maybe, but certainly not space invaders. vertical shooters are if anything deriatives of space invaders. Please, please don't tell me you consider vertical and side scrolling shooters the same.

thats like shoving streetfighter games and final fight games into the same genre.
I really don't see the difference... :wink:

Games like Axelay feature both, vertical and horizonal scrolling. Defender as basis for scrolling shooters, sure. Though, you'd also have the "in-screen" scrollers that were pioneered by Buck Rogers: Planet of Zoom. I just think Space Invaders was that shooter game that really made the biggest impact. Although space sims owe more to Elite. :wink:

The Laird

Post by The Laird » Sun Oct 05, 2014 7:21 am

outdated_gamer wrote: I really don't see the difference...
:?

koopa42

Post by koopa42 » Sun Oct 05, 2014 7:23 am

The Laird wrote:
outdated_gamer wrote: I really don't see the difference...
:?
He only sees winks

RodimusPrime

Post by RodimusPrime » Sun Oct 05, 2014 8:50 am

outdated_gamer wrote:

thats like shoving streetfighter games and final fight games into the same genre.[/quote]

I really don't see the difference... :wink:

Games like Axelay feature both, vertical and horizonal scrolling. Defender as basis for scrolling shooters, sure. Though, you'd also have the "in-screen" scrollers that were pioneered by Buck Rogers: Planet of Zoom. I just think Space Invaders was that shooter game that really made the biggest impact. Although space sims owe more to Elite. :wink:[/quote]

why does that last comment even need a wink, am i missing something.

Just because some games feature both types of genre does not mean you can class them the same. Using that logic then seeing as how bayou billy was a driving, lightgun, and scrolling beat em up, am I then allowed to nominate time criss as my fave driving games, or outrun as my fave scrolling beat em up.

the mechanics between the 2 genres ( scrolling and vertical ) can be wildly different. As for Axelay. should I tell you why some games do that. its simple. A lot of people concentrate on mainly one type of shooter, adding both in the mix is a way to appeal to fans of both and to try and increase sales.

crusto

Post by crusto » Sun Oct 05, 2014 11:42 am

You're all just a bunch of bickering bar stewards

Nudge nudge wink wink

:P

Eat your nans pants

Dam

Post by Dam » Sun Oct 05, 2014 1:17 pm

RodimusPrime wrote:

I definitely consider vertical and horizontal shooters to be the same genre. I don't consider single screen games like space invaders, or 'into the screen' like starfox or galaxy force to be included in that genre though.

RodimusPrime

Post by RodimusPrime » Sun Oct 05, 2014 1:24 pm

Dam wrote:
RodimusPrime wrote:

I definitely consider vertical and horizontal shooters to be the same genre. I don't consider single screen games like space invaders, or 'into the screen' like starfox or galaxy force to be included in that genre though.
No.