Best game genre trend?

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

Was

Pong clones (mid-late 70s)
No votes
Space Invaders clones and derivates (late 70 to late 80s/early 90s)
5%
Platformers (mid 80s to early-mid 90s; re-popularized in late 90s in 3-D form)
26%
Fighters (early 90s to mid 90s; re-popularized in late 90s in 3-D form)
21%
Doom clones (early to mid 90s)
16%
Japanese RPGs (mid to late 90s)
16%
"Twitch" first-person shooters (late 90s, early 00s)
No votes
"Sandbox" action adventures (early 00s, modern times)
16%
Cover-based third-person shooters (mid 00s, modern times)
No votes
Call of Duty "want-to-be"s (late 00s, modern times)
No votes

Total votes: 19

outdated_gamer

Best game genre trend?

Post by outdated_gamer » Sat Oct 04, 2014 9:14 am

I'd like to know which game genre trend did you like the best. Throughout the whole gaming history, there were examples of games that kick started whole new genres. If they were successful, they got a whole bunch of "copy cats" going after their success and with the premise to "better" the originator. Many genre trends came and passed but the most persistent ones still live on in one form or another, which could also be seen as a sort of compliment to the "timelessness" of certain game genres. So which did you like best and why?

I gotta go with platformers personally, as I think they are a brilliant, timeless genre of games, although these days a bit "withered" in popularity (the "proper" 3-D ones in particular). I just find it's the kind of genre where solid gameplay mechanics play the biggest role but it also allows for a lot of creativity to flourish. I was also fond of the fighting game trend of the early 90s to mid 90s. It seemed as a kinda "hard core" era for Arcade and console gaming where it was expected from players to know finger-bending combos and had a real competitive spirit to it. The modern variant would be the military first-person shooter game but I personally find those got quite watered-down and sameish these days. It's also interesting to see the explosion of popularity of "sandboxy" games in general. Maybe a sign that gamers want more "creative" games?

But there are also examples of "came and went away" genres such as Japanese-style RPGs (got big during the SNES era and even bigger after Final Fantasy VII came out but kinda faded in popularity or became more a handheld "niche"), the "twitch" f-p shooters, which were big on the PC in late 90s and early 2000s but made way for the more "realistic" ones and a few other examples.

A trully "timeless" genre seems to be the "space shooter" which was there since the beginning of gaming time and only changed a bit of it's "skin" during all this time. And in an abstract kinda way, the "Sports" game would also be timeless, as would the racing game, although those were ever-popular.

Opinions? :wink:

koopa42

Re: Best game genre trend?

Post by koopa42 » Sat Oct 04, 2014 9:15 am

No.

outdated_gamer

Post by outdated_gamer » Sat Oct 04, 2014 9:21 am

^ I think it's a interesting theme for discussion but if you don't want to discuss I guess it's your loss... :P

koopa42

Post by koopa42 » Sat Oct 04, 2014 9:41 am

No.

Fightersmegamix

Post by Fightersmegamix » Sat Oct 04, 2014 12:37 pm

I'll go for JRPG's, though they continued into the PS2 era at their pomp, it was only during last gen we saw a decline. I also enjoyed the brief snowboarding fad of the late 90's. Sandbox and FPS's are two of my least favourite genres, we must surely be nearing the end of the road for the multiplayer death match FPS by now.

The Laird

Post by The Laird » Sat Oct 04, 2014 12:47 pm

Beat 'em ups, not on the list though.

gman72

Post by gman72 » Sat Oct 04, 2014 1:36 pm

Is it me or are some of those selections rather odd... as in Doom clones... thats completely PC centric for a start.
“To gain your own voice, you have to forget about having it heard.” —Allen Ginsberg, WD

koopa42

Post by koopa42 » Sat Oct 04, 2014 1:47 pm

I didn't see anything but winks hence no
Last edited by koopa42 on Sat Oct 04, 2014 2:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Combo-Breaker

Post by Combo-Breaker » Sat Oct 04, 2014 1:48 pm

Fighters, for me.

Street Fighter, Fatal Fury, World Heroes, Killer Instinct, Mortal Kombat, Marvel vs Campcom, SNK vs Capcom...

I could - and have - spent all day playing those games.

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Sat Oct 04, 2014 1:56 pm

Has to be 90's fighters for me but the JRPG trend is also up there. The latter is also still going strong with loads of releases on last-gen systems. They just aren't as popular anymore and tend to be niche releases.
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

gman72

Post by gman72 » Sat Oct 04, 2014 2:45 pm

I going to pick Doom clones between April 95 and June 2000 on the Amiga :lol:
“To gain your own voice, you have to forget about having it heard.” —Allen Ginsberg, WD

The Laird

Post by The Laird » Sat Oct 04, 2014 2:47 pm

gman72 wrote:Is it me or are some of those selections rather odd... as in Doom clones... thats completely PC centric for a start.
Yep, I did think it incredibly weird that 3 of the choices were for FPS, which is the same genre.

RodimusPrime

Post by RodimusPrime » Sat Oct 04, 2014 4:18 pm

That list is totally out of kilter, we are supposed to be talking about periods of gaming when certain gnres and styles became popular are we not.

As Laird said, where are the double dragon, streets of rage, final fight type games. unless you were living under a rock they had a huge boom period.

And no side crolling of vertical shhoters, really?

RTS clones all following in the footsteps of the likes of command and conquer, point and click games. I am sure a few older gamers would have liked the choice of text adventures.

Some really big trends missed.

RodimusPrime

Post by RodimusPrime » Sat Oct 04, 2014 4:19 pm

anyway, out of the list provided, I picked platformers. simply because 8bit to 16bit was amazing. From Nintendo and segas games, to konami games like tiny toons and the likes of capcoms disney games.

Dam

Post by Dam » Sat Oct 04, 2014 4:23 pm

Platformers for me, loads of great stuff on NES and master system, and then on SNES and Megadrive.