Your best single retro moment

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

ncf1

Your best single retro moment

Post by ncf1 » Thu Oct 02, 2014 3:18 pm

Ok here's a reeeeeeeeally tough ones, no bones about that. I had to ask myself before : what, if you absolutely had to choose - ie. gun pointing to the head kind of thing - would you consider to be your single, best ever, retro moment or happening.

For me it boiled down to getting and setting up my first C64; Firing up my Amiga 500 for the first time and seeing the amazing graphics of Crazy Cars; finally beating Beyond Castle Wolfenstein on the Apple II in the wee hours of the morning; getting a CD-ROM drive for the first time resplendent with SoundBlaster card, oh my lord.

Of course there were more, but I would have to say my personal best moment was seeing the Amiga in action for the first time... the step-up from 8-bit to 16-bit glory and what was to come - and did come by way of continuous fantastic software.

And *just* behind that, actually dishing over the $850 I'd worked for in the rain collecting golf balls at the driving range for a year or whatever and finally holding the boxed package at the shop... close second right there. :)

nokgod

Re: Your best single retro moment

Post by nokgod » Thu Oct 02, 2014 3:26 pm

My nan giving me 10p to put in the brand new Space Invaders arcade machine in Shipley's arcade (Cradley Heath). I had to line it up next to all the other 10p's that were running along the glass bezel at the bottom of the screen and wait for my turn to come around....watching my 10p piece like a hawk.

Forever imprinted in my memory.
sscott wrote:I thought Tomb Raider was the best game of last gen (and I fuck1n hate the Tomb Raider series!)

fredghostmaster

Post by fredghostmaster » Thu Oct 02, 2014 3:54 pm

Christmas 1981, Father Christmas left an Atari VCS with Space Invaders under the tree. Best present ever.

IronMaidenRule

Post by IronMaidenRule » Thu Oct 02, 2014 3:55 pm

Visiting my older brother and being sat down in front of his Atari ST whilst Sensible Soccer loaded, that is where real gaming began for me!

flatapex

Post by flatapex » Thu Oct 02, 2014 3:56 pm

ask a 30 something bloke get an obvious answer......

i wont say sega vs nintendo and getting a mega drive christmas 1992 as the thread will fill up with those responses.

i will go a bit less obvious.

going to events, meeting people and finding another load of systems i want :lol:

stvd

Post by stvd » Thu Oct 02, 2014 4:13 pm

fredghostmaster wrote:Christmas 1981, Father Christmas left an Atari VCS with Space Invaders under the tree. Best present ever.
This could have been mine (same year but I got Combat & Defender) but I'm going
to go for xmas 83 and getting my 48k ZX Spectrum.

paranoid marvin

Post by paranoid marvin » Thu Oct 02, 2014 5:36 pm

2 for me, one gaming related and 1 not

First is Crash! Christmas Special 1984. My first computer game magazine I ever bought, and it really was 'special'.

Second is R-Type level 3 on the Speccy. Just after I thought I'd seen everything , this level blew my socks off and made me realise the endless potential of computer games.
Mr Flibble says...
"Game over , boys!"

ncf1

Post by ncf1 » Thu Oct 02, 2014 6:01 pm

^ ah yes that reminds me of one of the Zzap! Christmas specials, it was a bumper I think 132 page issue or something, and at the very height of the C64's heyday. I think my head nearly exploded when I saw all the terrific new releases and knowing I'd be playing many of them soon.

That certainly would be near the top for me.

SpockIOM

Post by SpockIOM » Thu Oct 02, 2014 6:48 pm

I can thing of a few great memories, so here goes;

Aged about 3-4 my dad would take me to a pub that had a table cabinet PacMan machine he'd let me play.
Playing Bubble Bobble and 1942 with my cousin on his C64
Getting my NES on Christmas Day 1990
Beating GamesMaster magazine's best time trial time for Rainbow Road on Super Mario Kart by over 2 seconds.
Finally beating Zelda 2 legitimately!
Yours sincerely, the little voice in your head that talks when you read.

Guitar_Geek

Post by Guitar_Geek » Mon Oct 06, 2014 9:20 pm

Playing Mario Kart 64 with my sisters
Playing Mario All Stars with my cousins in their beach house
Finally beating A Link to the Past after my save file was deleted no less than five times
Chrono Trigger's ending
The first time I played Final Fantasy VI

PostieDoc

Post by PostieDoc » Tue Oct 07, 2014 3:38 am

I'm with the OP on getting my A500.
It completely blew me away, going from playing C16 games on my Plus/4 or trying to get a game on my brothers Speccy to playing F/A-18 Interceptor and Rainbow Islands
on the Amiga.

A later moment would be joining Ultima Online while it was still in its early stages in the late nineties.
The friendliest community I have ever met online and I made some rl friends through that game.

The most recent would be playing Red Dead Redemption on the 360.
I just love the location and feel of the game. It has one of the best ever expansion packs too.

ArchaicKoala

Post by ArchaicKoala » Tue Oct 07, 2014 4:54 am

I can't pick a single moment but I have a few that stand out the most...

Seeing Head Over Heels on the Speccy for the first time
Playing Space Harrier (deluxe) for the first time
Playing Teenage Mutant Hero Turtles The Arcade Game on my friends NES for the first time and thinking how much it looked like the cartoon :oops:
Playing Goldeneye for the first time and using the Sniper rifle from that tower for my first ever head shot. Satisfying even now :mrgreen:

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Tue Oct 07, 2014 4:58 am

Yep i cant pick a single moment but a few of mine are...

Seeing a Speccy for the first time and then realising you could load up potentially 100's of games from C90's !
Seeing a gameboy for the first time and witnessing that moment when my mate put in another cartridge (i thought it was an 'all in one' device !)
Seeing Doom for the first time
Realising in the mid 90's there was something called an 'emulator' which ran Speccy games
Discovering MAME for the first time
Discovering a retro magazine in WHSmiths (thankfully issue 1 !), realising i 'wasnt alone' with my hobby
Buying an iphone and discovering emulators and tons of games, like a kid again back in the 80s

Morkin

Post by Morkin » Tue Oct 07, 2014 5:04 am

The Christmas my parents gave me a Spectrum & my brother buying me an issue of C&VG. Great times. And a bit later, buying Crash each month. Love(d) that magazine.

NickThorpe

Post by NickThorpe » Tue Oct 07, 2014 8:24 am

There's no question on this one, I just think back to one rather messy birthday: