Games that don't get the attention they deserve

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

gman72

Re: Games that don't get the attention they deserve

Post by gman72 » Sun Oct 05, 2014 6:47 am

Prey and Too Human were both excellent games deffo under rated at the time of their releases.
“To gain your own voice, you have to forget about having it heard.” —Allen Ginsberg, WD

outdated_gamer

Post by outdated_gamer » Sun Oct 05, 2014 6:59 am

^ Prey was unique for sure. The portal and gravity tricks it had going for it impressed me back then. There were some other good ideas too. The story was nothing special though, but I don't play shooters for the story... :wink:

edit: here's some more lesser-known/less appreciated games:

Evolva

Terra Nova: Strike Force Centauri

BioForge

Messiah

Magic Carpet

Last edited by outdated_gamer on Sun Oct 05, 2014 7:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

gman72

Post by gman72 » Sun Oct 05, 2014 7:09 am

The story was fairly simple but well constructed. The UFO abduction subject matter is quite interesting and the attention to detail was very good indeed. Including Ex Coast to Coast AM presenter Art Bell on the radio talking about UFOs. For those that don't know about Coast to Coast AM its a fantastic talk radio station from the USA which only deals in ghosts, UFOs, conspiricies and all manner of the strange and unusual.
The abduction scene at the start of the game was excellent and all the screaming abductees being ferried about different parts of the UFO was extremely atmospheric.

So, outdated gamer, did you own a 360 in the past or did Prey receive a PC port?
“To gain your own voice, you have to forget about having it heard.” —Allen Ginsberg, WD

outdated_gamer

Post by outdated_gamer » Sun Oct 05, 2014 7:28 am

gman72 wrote: So, outdated gamer, did you own a 360 in the past or did Prey receive a PC port?
I did own a 360 but I played the PC version. I can assure you Prey was in development long before the 360 came out... :wink:

Infact for quite some time it was considered "vapourware" before it's re-emergence. Ironically, both Prey and Duke Nukem Forever shared the same publisher/producer and both were in "development hell". Here's some screen shots of a very early version:

http://www.unseen64.net/2008/04/05/prey ... 7-version/

gman72

Post by gman72 » Sun Oct 05, 2014 7:32 am

outdated_gamer wrote:I can assure you Prey was in development long before the 360 came out
You dont have to assure me of that. I'm already well aware of it thank you.

retrojc

Post by retrojc » Sun Oct 05, 2014 8:06 am

As a kid, I always followed OPSM reviews, and I think for the most part anything they gave a 7/10 I tried to play. These 3 were games I remember having to hunt for, and seemed to be the only kid in school with them...

Overboard PS1, criminally overlooked. I think it's one of Pygnosis's best.
Future Cop LAPD PS1, again didn't do well, but I love it.
Jurassic Park the lost world, a kinda weird platformer. Was very good though, lots of longevity.

This is one of my favourite PS2 games, it's a generic FPS, but it's not bad.

Turok Evolution PS2 - I really enjoyed this game, because I really like dinosaurs. Though it kinda tailed off towards the end, the early and mid game is very nice. Cool bow too.

On 360/PS3...
Singularity - X360 - Really recommend this, it's not amazing, but it's better than you'd think.
Splatterhouse - X360, this game was actually pretty cool. Well recommended. Made me a bit dizzy tho with its camera angles.
Monopoly Streets - Really, very fun. You should be a fan of Monopoly before buying tho.

ToxieDogg

Post by ToxieDogg » Mon Oct 06, 2014 3:56 pm

Prey was an interesting concept with good production values but it did have some massively glaring faults and a couple of very poor gameplay design choices....anybody who wasn't completely fed up with the tedious minigame you had to endure every time you ran out of health by the end of the game, or the fact that after the first level or so you become practically invincible (pretty much as soon as you learn the spirit walking technique), then they had a much stronger tolerance than I did. On the plus side I enjoyed the storyline and a fair few of the game mechanics were interesting in a kind of early version of Portal sort of way....I am glad I played through it once, but IMO games like Portal have made it pretty much irrelevant now.

I don't feel Toy Commander on the Dreamcast ever gets the attention it deserves....everybody always goes on about Crazy Taxi, Power Stone, Soul Calibur etc. but Toy Commander was a quality launch title and still remains one of my favourites to this day with it's varied mission structure, different vehicles to mess around with and multiple parts of the house to explore. Also more recently, you never hear anybody talk much about Deadly Premonition but it's absolutely bonkers and brilliant.
ImageImage

RetroPassion - still live and kicking!
Lost Dragon wrote:The 1st rule about Feedback is..

You do not give Feedback!

koopa42

Post by koopa42 » Mon Oct 06, 2014 4:06 pm

So is this games that don't get the attention they deserve or lets disagree with people opinions on what game don't get the recognition they deserve?

RodimusPrime

Post by RodimusPrime » Mon Oct 06, 2014 4:13 pm

Blue Dragon on the Xbox 360.

I don't even like JRPG games, yet this game was just the right game at the right time and I was utterly addicted to it, loved every minute of the 110+ hours I ended up putting into it. I still look at that figure of 110 hours and still can't quite believe it myself.

As for older games, Alien Storm, UN squadron, Top gear ( original snes ), and sonic wings.

ToxieDogg

Post by ToxieDogg » Mon Oct 06, 2014 5:49 pm

koopa42 wrote:So is this games that don't get the attention they deserve or lets disagree with people opinions on what game don't get the recognition they deserve?
You're right actually, I took things off topic with personal opinions there. Sorry.

I do actually hope Bethesda get Prey 2 out soonish (still in development apparently)....fix the few things that bogged the first game down + current gen hardware and it could be awesome. A lot of the ideas in the first game were really interesting if they build on them properly.
RodimusPrime wrote:Blue Dragon on the Xbox 360.

I don't even like JRPG games, yet this game was just the right game at the right time and I was utterly addicted to it, loved every minute of the 110+ hours I ended up putting into it. I still look at that figure of 110 hours and still can't quite believe it myself.
If you liked that, have you tried the sequels on DS? Blue Dragon Plus is pretty much an RTS game, and Blue Dragon Awakened Shadow obviously isn't on the same scale as the 360 game but they're both still pretty enjoyable.
Last edited by ToxieDogg on Mon Oct 06, 2014 5:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ImageImage

PostieDoc

Post by PostieDoc » Mon Oct 06, 2014 5:55 pm

I thought Prey 2 was cancelled?

ToxieDogg

Post by ToxieDogg » Mon Oct 06, 2014 6:00 pm

Hard to tell. Seems to be an on-off story with Prey 2. There were meant to have been emails leaked last August confirming that it was still in development?

Not sure anybody's 100% sure at this point :lol: I'd like to see it get made though.
ImageImage

koopa42

Post by koopa42 » Mon Oct 06, 2014 6:44 pm

Prey 2 is officially in development hell me thinks. Wasn't it picked up by Bethesda for a bit? and somebody must have some money on it because of the CGI and live action trailers from a while back?

gman72

Post by gman72 » Mon Oct 06, 2014 8:09 pm

Let's hope it gets an eventual release.

kiwimike

Post by kiwimike » Tue Oct 07, 2014 2:36 am

Jet Force Gemini is a great call, Outdated. It's a fantastic game that deserved far more accolades :)