Games that don't get the attention they deserve

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer

snesfanboy

Re: Games that don't get the attention they deserve

Post by snesfanboy » Wed Oct 01, 2014 9:53 pm

Kult : Heretic Kingdoms (PC)

a game i picked up for 2€ in a sale someday (was about 6-7 years ago) and turned out to be a very fun Diablo-style RPG (not really hack & slash) with a unique skill learning system

kiwimike

Post by kiwimike » Wed Oct 01, 2014 10:16 pm

Kenseiden on sms. I really liked that game.

More recently I love the tomb raider relaunch. It got great reviews but seem to be specialed off fast. One of my recent faves. Maybe its just the impression I got but it seemed to not get as much kudos as it should.

Guitar_Geek

Post by Guitar_Geek » Thu Oct 02, 2014 12:12 am

Blood, an FPS for DOS. It's just as good as (if not better than) Doom and Duke 3D.

Negative Creep

Post by Negative Creep » Thu Oct 02, 2014 12:14 am

merman wrote:
theantmeister wrote:The Simpsons Game on 360. Everybody writes it off as just cheap licensed tat, but it is actually really good! The sheer amount of creativity and humour shown in the levels makes it exceptional I feel and it really deserves more attention than it gets. Plus it features a ton of retro jokes and themes like the Gauntlet level, the Sonic cameo and even the Frogger bit.
For me what lets it down is the split screen in two-player mode, and some very tricky moments where you can be knocked off high platforms and have to spend ages climbing back up. The Dance Dance Revolution battle at the end is a brilliant way to end though.

Although it looks good and has a decent story, it's spoilt by awful controls and camera angles. Luckily I only suffered the common game save corruption right after I finished getting the 400 collectables

che_don_john

Post by che_don_john » Thu Oct 02, 2014 10:27 am

koopa42 wrote:Too Human - xbox 360. One of the best games of the last generation, possibly of all time and horrendously overlooked by many.
Prey - xbox 360. At first you think same old same old but actually it's a pretty unique FPS with a really good 'look' to it
Played Prey a few years ago and loved it, so unique and weird.

Too Human has been on my 'to play' pile for a good few months, but you've inspired me to bump it further up to the top.
CheDonJohn's Sale/Trade/Wanted/Giveaway thread

PSN ID, XBL Gamertag and Steam: CheDonJohn
Playfire profile

ootini

Post by ootini » Thu Oct 02, 2014 11:49 am

I have copies of both Prey and Too Human in the pile of shame for the xbox 360. I got Prey back in 2007 and maybe sat down to play it once or twice and possibly got distracted by a string of other games cos I remember enjoying it. Too Human was a cheapo CEX purchase last xmas that got lost/forgotten in the clutter of my coffee table’s under shelf.

Good call above on Wizkid. Its predecessor gets a lot of plaudits for its creativity and uniqueness. And rightfully so. I’ve always thought Wizkid was equally as unique as well as being completely different to Wizball. The Humor, the gameplay, the music, the mini games are all really fun, varied and engaging. It’s just a multi-coloured pixely expectorate of crazyness. It’s kinda forgotten though in the grand scheme of all things Amiga. With other Sensible software games like Cannon Fodder and Sensible Soccer hogging the spotlight.

SonicTheHedgehog

Post by SonicTheHedgehog » Fri Oct 03, 2014 4:33 am

Burning Force (Megadrive/Genesis). Although the arcade ver is better it's brilliant on the megadrive and some of the tunes are fantastic.

Alisia Dragoon (Megadrive) The graphics and style are lovely, it plays well and has great music.
The square is a great shape, and one that is criminally underused in modern game design. In the push to ever more granular, chaotic environments, games have lost sight of the simple pleasures of right angles and straight lines.

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Fri Oct 03, 2014 8:25 am

Granted its 'new' but Flappy Bird !!

I detest that game. I installed it to see what the fuss was about and boy oh boy its dire, its like an old Speccy type-in from 1982. To be fair the blokes clever who created it and the media hype bandwagon was clever, all this 'i dont like the attention, i'm going to withdraw the game....' only made it more popular

But i remember people here saying what their scores were, eg 7 or 5 ! (Not exactly Space Harrier type scores !). Its just a dire dire game and anyone playing it will be embarassed in years to come when they have a list of 'top 50 embarassing things of the 2010's' and Flappy Bird will be on it

Negative Creep

Post by Negative Creep » Fri Oct 03, 2014 9:49 am

I recently ran through Prey to finish off the achievements but it didn't get any better the second time. I will admit it has a different look and feel to most games, and it's nice to have a protagonist who's not a white male or hot chick, but overall it's pretty boring and has a distinctly mean spirited undercurrent

sirpigmeat

Post by sirpigmeat » Fri Oct 03, 2014 10:06 am

Dan Dare - Pilot of the Future on the Spectrum is an excellent game that's still really highly playable today, I think its also the best looking game on the spectrum. Or one of at least. It has an almost survival horror feel to it with the way your gun runs out of ammo and you have to dodge treens to avoid getting killed until you can make it to the closest power-ups, which are pretty few and far between. Which Adds a strategy element to the game of never picking up power-ups until your really low on ammo or health and really trying to conserve it as much as possible.

Spiderman (vs the kingpin) on the Megadrive... I know this game did really well and reviewed well also I think, but no-one i ever mention it to never knows the Spiderman game i'm talking about... I suppose their so many spiderman games its sorta lost in the mix? But its still to me the best Superhero game of all time... Everything worked so well in it, the web slinging and wall crawling, stealth elements and the web and selling photo system were inspired! Great bosses too...

koopa42

Post by koopa42 » Fri Oct 03, 2014 10:42 am

Negative Creep wrote:I recently ran through Prey to finish off the achievements but it didn't get any better the second time. I will admit it has a different look and feel to most games, and it's nice to have a protagonist who's not a white male or hot chick, but overall it's pretty boring and has a distinctly mean spirited undercurrent
No.

RodimusPrime

Post by RodimusPrime » Fri Oct 03, 2014 10:42 am

ootini wrote:I have copies of both Prey and Too Human in the pile of shame for the xbox 360. I got Prey back in 2007 and maybe sat down to play it once or twice and possibly got distracted by a string of other games cos I remember enjoying it. Too Human was a cheapo CEX purchase last xmas that got lost/forgotten in the clutter of my coffee table’s under shelf.

Good call above on Wizkid. Its predecessor gets a lot of plaudits for its creativity and uniqueness. And rightfully so. I’ve always thought Wizkid was equally as unique as well as being completely different to Wizball. The Humor, the gameplay, the music, the mini games are all really fun, varied and engaging. It’s just a multi-coloured pixely expectorate of crazyness. It’s kinda forgotten though in the grand scheme of all things Amiga. With other Sensible software games like Cannon Fodder and Sensible Soccer hogging the spotlight.
Too Human was actually one of the games I enjoyed most out of everything last gen

Fightersmegamix

Post by Fightersmegamix » Fri Oct 03, 2014 12:59 pm

Shadow hearts covenant on the PS2, it's the best JRPG I've played but never gets the attention of the Square Enix stuff.

outdated_gamer

Post by outdated_gamer » Sat Oct 04, 2014 3:31 am

Jet Force Gemini (N64) - fantastic 3rd person shooter/platformer that's a pure joy to play if you're into arcade "run and gun" shooters/platformers. There were some issues with the camera, control and framerate, but in general the game was a blast and pushed the system it was running on to it's limits. Sadly one of the less known/appreciated games that didn't even get a XBLA re-release (let alone the high-production sequel it would surely deserve).

Sacrifice (PC) - one of the most "magical" and unique games ever. A blend of real-time strategy and 3rd person shooter taking place in a fantasy world governed by different gods. The visuals and soundtrack were top notch when the game came out and it still holds up quite well today. The RTS interface might be a bit clunky but it's just a charming (and challenging) title all around. Sadly the pleas of fans of this unique game were never heard so it remains sequelless to this day.

Severance: Blade of Darkness (PC) - Dark Souls before Dark Souls, enough said. This PC-exclusive title was a brutal, gory and tough hack n slash with a surprisingly deep combat system. It never got a sequel nor was it ever ported to consoles.

BattleZone 2: Combat Commander (PC) - another "lost gem", a blend of real-time strategy and 1st person shooter. A very forward-thinking game that did a lot of the things that not even many modern similar titles manage to do way back in the late 90s. The predecessor was a damn fine game also and a true evolution of the Atari classic.

Disciples II: Dark Prophecy (PC) - fantastic turn-based strategy game with amazing, hand-drawn visuals and soundtrack. The game just sucks you in and won't let you out for a very long time. In my opinion it's even better than Heroes of Might & Magic III. The predecessor was a nice game also but the successor left a lot to be desired. The franchise didn't survive the transition to 3-D graphics all that well.

Gargoyle's Quest II: The Demon Darkness (NES) - this NES classic is a pretty great RPGish slasher/platformer game and in my opinion also a bit overlooked. The game just sucks you in and makes you want to continue playing. A tad difficult title but that's a positive thing in my eyes. :wink:

Kuru Kuru Kururin (GBA) - one of the best puzzle/reflex games I've ever played. A simple concept but brilliant execution. There was a successor for the GBA and a GameCube version with 3-D visuals but neither were released outside Japan. One of the lesser know Nintendo franchises, which is unfortunate as it's really fun and challenging.

Negative Creep

Post by Negative Creep » Sun Oct 05, 2014 10:28 am

Super Mario Bros 2 - it's a very fun game to play with 4 unique characters that keep the gameplay nice and varied. Whilst you could say it's not a "real" Mario game, had they released the actual Mario 2 outside Japan it wouldn't have looked like much of an advancement, and it was so sadistically difficult I think it would have done a lot of harm to the brand