Games that don't get the attention they deserve

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

LAIS

Games that don't get the attention they deserve

Post by LAIS » Wed Oct 01, 2014 1:42 pm

We've all had it. A game we love (or loved growing up) that ends up getting the "never heard of it..." treatment why you talk about it with a friend.

Which games do you feel don't get the recognition or love that they deserve? On this forum I'm sure plenty people will have heard of my choices, but that's part of the fun...

Anachronox - I'm amazed at how few people know about about this gem. It has an old man character who can kill enemies by telling long anecdotes, for crying out loud! The combat is a bit rubbish, but a patch fixes that - and the humour is spot on. One of the funniest games ever, and an all round brilliant RPG.

Silver - Granted the story is a little corny, but the gameplay is great, and the soundtrack is also very effective. It's a fun action RPG, and I'll always love it.

WWE SmackDown! Shut Your Mouth - No Mercy and Fire Pro Wrestling seem to be treated as the holy grail of wrestling sims, but this is by far my favourite. The plotlines are fun, the draft system is enjoyable and the gameplay's very strong. Lots of variety, a great CAW mode and a generally fun game. I'm a big fan.

Evil Genius - A supervillain sim. Why do so few of these exist? It's flawed but great fun, and I'm amazed no one has revisited the concept.

theantmeister

Re: Games that don't get the attention they deserve

Post by theantmeister » Wed Oct 01, 2014 2:09 pm

The Simpsons Game on 360. Everybody writes it off as just cheap licensed tat, but it is actually really good! The sheer amount of creativity and humour shown in the levels makes it exceptional I feel and it really deserves more attention than it gets. Plus it features a ton of retro jokes and themes like the Gauntlet level, the Sonic cameo and even the Frogger bit.

merman

Post by merman » Wed Oct 01, 2014 3:28 pm

theantmeister wrote:The Simpsons Game on 360. Everybody writes it off as just cheap licensed tat, but it is actually really good! The sheer amount of creativity and humour shown in the levels makes it exceptional I feel and it really deserves more attention than it gets. Plus it features a ton of retro jokes and themes like the Gauntlet level, the Sonic cameo and even the Frogger bit.
For me what lets it down is the split screen in two-player mode, and some very tricky moments where you can be knocked off high platforms and have to spend ages climbing back up. The Dance Dance Revolution battle at the end is a brilliant way to end though.
merman1974 on Steam, Xbox Live, Twitter and YouTube

koopa42

Post by koopa42 » Wed Oct 01, 2014 3:45 pm

Too Human - xbox 360. One of the best games of the last generation, possibly of all time and horrendously overlooked by many.
Prey - xbox 360. At first you think same old same old but actually it's a pretty unique FPS with a really good 'look' to it

edit:

And of course, the mighty Jungle King.

LAIS

Post by LAIS » Wed Oct 01, 2014 3:53 pm

theantmeister wrote:The Simpsons Game on 360. Everybody writes it off as just cheap licensed tat, but it is actually really good! The sheer amount of creativity and humour shown in the levels makes it exceptional I feel and it really deserves more attention than it gets. Plus it features a ton of retro jokes and themes like the Gauntlet level, the Sonic cameo and even the Frogger bit.
Given the quality of previous Simpsons games I'd given it a miss - but I've watched a review online on the back of your recommendation, and I've now gone and purchased the game. It looks pretty fun!

SpockIOM

Post by SpockIOM » Wed Oct 01, 2014 4:08 pm

Top of my list is Faxanadu on NES - it's a great adventure game from Hudson. It's kind of a cross between Zelda 2 and Wonder Boy 3 gameplay-wise and is definitely worth a play.

Other mentions are Solar Jetman (NES), Mystic Quest (GB), Donkey Kong 94 (GB) and Alice: Madness Returns (PS3/360/Windows).
Yours sincerely, the little voice in your head that talks when you read.

PostieDoc

Post by PostieDoc » Wed Oct 01, 2014 5:03 pm

I think that Anachronox ranks up there with Planescape: Torment for the best companions in a game.

I'll add the Deponia adventure games to the overlooked list.
A lot of people think that Adventures are dead but there are still some good games being made.

ncf1

Post by ncf1 » Wed Oct 01, 2014 5:30 pm

For me as an adventure fan it has to be "Personal Nightmare" on the Amiga. What they did at the time was quite amazing, all (pseudo) real-time, digitized graphics and sound, fantastic story and atmosphere, terrific reviews and... I was buying copies at local stores for $5 within months! 3 pounds or something.. just ridiculous.

Liamh1982

Post by Liamh1982 » Wed Oct 01, 2014 5:42 pm

F-1 Challenge (Saturn) - the more I play this, the more I feel it should be mentioned in the same breath as Sega Rally and Daytona, it's that good. The lack of arcade heritage sets it back, I feel.

paranoid marvin

Post by paranoid marvin » Wed Oct 01, 2014 6:48 pm

Tron 2.0 - great FPS which (fairly inexplicably) seemed to slip under the radar. Great story, and far better than the rebooted film!

Wizkid - think Frankie Goes To Hollywood mixed with Arkanoid. Very bizarre, very addictive.
Mr Flibble says...
"Game over , boys!"

pratty

Post by pratty » Wed Oct 01, 2014 7:17 pm

I like this topic. I think there's always a lot of discussion about underrated games, but not much about underappreaciated games. By underappreciated I mean these games scored well with reviewers and most people that played them, but then they're kind of forgotten about, they're quality games but for some reason you'd struggle to give some of them away.

A game that springs to mindwould be 007 Everythign Or Nothing. This is a great game, best Bond game I've played since Goldeneye, loads of effort and production values went into it. When people talk about the best 3rd person shooters you here about stuff like Uncharted and Tomb Raider and rightly so, but this deserves a mention too.

Also Second Sight. This is another well recieved game but seems to have been fogotten about, it's more than just another game. Great story and varied gameplay.

Like 007 EON, I think the Simspons Hit And Run deserves a bit more love. You can tell a lot of work went into this game too. If you're a fan of The Simspons it's an absolute must with all the jokes and references, but the game is genuinely good too as a light hearted GTA clone.

From the same era Metal Arm: Glitch in the System is probably a bit undervalued, it really is a lot of fun. Sequel please.

More recently Little King Story seems to be a game a lot of Wii owners overlooked, I guilty of this myself until last year when i finally played it, it's quality, every bit as good as Pikmin.

Retro-wise I'm not sure, I'm tempted to say Alfred Chicken as I remember enjoying that, on the humble Gameboy no less, but I'd really have to play it again.
Pratty's trade list, updated (May 2019)!
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=54823

gunbladelad

Post by gunbladelad » Wed Oct 01, 2014 8:27 pm

Legend of Legaia on the PS1 doesn't get much attention at all, yet I recall it reviewed well in the gaming press at the time. It still has a small but loyal following, admittedly. It was massively overshadowed by the Final Fantasy series though.
Where logic won't work, I will

Takeitback_games

Post by Takeitback_games » Wed Oct 01, 2014 8:34 pm

I would have to go with Jurassic Park Part 2 for the SNES. Such a great game that no one really talks about. Who doesn't like shooting dinosaurs?!
Been gaming for 20 years and just started collecting.
Give me a follow @ Instagram: takeitback_games

crusto

Post by crusto » Wed Oct 01, 2014 8:48 pm

Buck Rogers for the SMD, easily up there with the best MD RPG's but rarely gets the recognition it deserves.

Moto Roader for the PCE: Often overlooked as simplistic (GFX didn't help it's cause), but surprisingly deep and really good fun once you scratch below its surface. Plus, there were heaps more tracks than the just the 8 the japanese version led you to believe there was.

Best of the Best on SNES: Excellent fighting game with a huge amount of moves that could be mapped to the joypad at your to suit your own style. Skilful players could fell an opponent in a single shot with a well timed shot, which made for some really interesting two player bouts! This title just slipped under the radar while SF2 and MK mopped up all the praise (and sales).

Eat your nans pants

JamesC

Post by JamesC » Wed Oct 01, 2014 8:57 pm

The first games that popped into my head were Kirby's Dream Course (SNES) and Vanquish (360, PS3).

I'd also have to say Brian Bloodaxe (Speccy), another vote for Solar Jetman (NES) and Donkey Kong (GB) and I'd add Snake Rattle n Roll and Cobra Triangle (Both NES) and Rogue Trooper (Xbox, PS2).