So what is your best FPS then?

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

theantmeister

Re: So what is your best FPS then?

Post by theantmeister » Wed Apr 15, 2015 5:46 am

Rayne wrote:Halo. In my mind it's just the best FPS experience available, the controls are natural, the enemies are designed brilliantly and the online is a blast.

What I love is how the franchise gets solid play from me every year. Whether I'm replaying the campaign, playing online, couch co-op, firefight or Forge there's always something for me to do. I also love the connected books, comics, shows and anime shorts.
I will never understand the love Halo gets... I played it on PC and found it to be a very average FPS by PC standards. Of course, I played it after Doom, Unreal, Half Life, Deus Ex, etc.

Mind you, I never played it online, so I'm probably missing a huge chunk of what made it popular. The single player was very average to me. Having the second half of the game be the first half backwards except with brown paper bags to shoot at was just cheap.

Halo is also guilty of introducing everything that is wrong with modern console FPS games - regenerating health, limited weapon selection and slow, plodding, movement (compared to Doom anyway).

Bluce_Ree

Post by Bluce_Ree » Wed Apr 15, 2015 6:49 am

I did say Far Cry on the PC but I'm an idiot.

1. Unreal Tournament. The original and the best.
2. GRAW2 (Xbox 360). Ultimate in co-op greatness. Fun adversarial multiplayer too. None of that run and gun nonsense.

The Laird

Post by The Laird » Wed Apr 15, 2015 6:58 am

psj3809 wrote:Gutted i couldnt make that show. Would have been brilliant to have met the legend!
Well now you can at least see what you missed :mrgreen:
The Laird wrote:Those who love Doom will enjoy this, a recording of the entire Q&A with John Romero that took place at Revival last year :D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7fJcZWmlBKU

Matt_B

Post by Matt_B » Wed Apr 15, 2015 8:43 am

theantmeister wrote:I will never understand the love Halo gets... I played it on PC and found it to be a very average FPS by PC standards. Of course, I played it after Doom, Unreal, Half Life, Deus Ex, etc.

Mind you, I never played it online, so I'm probably missing a huge chunk of what made it popular. The single player was very average to me. Having the second half of the game be the first half backwards except with brown paper bags to shoot at was just cheap.

Halo is also guilty of introducing everything that is wrong with modern console FPS games - regenerating health, limited weapon selection and slow, plodding, movement (compared to Doom anyway).
I suppose it's the crossover point between the old and new FPS, where a genre that had previously been very hardcore started to turn into something much more amenable to the mass market and build franchises that would ship in the tens of millions. There's both good and bad in that, and while I'm decidedly old-school in my tastes with FPS, I can see why Halo is as popular as it is.

And yes, it's really all about the on-line. You can don your elitist hat and say that it's dumbed down compared to earlier games like Quake and Unreal but that won't save you from getting an arse kicking from those who've mastered the skills required to play it.

RodimusPrime

Post by RodimusPrime » Wed Apr 15, 2015 9:14 am

I dont understand the idea of dumbed down FPS games online.

Its a pretty simple concept and the skill involved is directly linked to other peoples skills and not the game. Its a bit silly to say a games dumbed down if you go online and get your arse handed to you.

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Wed Apr 15, 2015 11:51 am

Its funny, i remember thinking 'yeah i'm really good at Quake II' and went online. DAMN i was getting killed in seconds, sniped by no doubt 15 year olds all the time. Depressing !

Did get into capture the flag on Quake II and played that a lot and got really good at it. But again playing Medal of Honor i wasnt too bad but theres a ton of great players out there, i like to think they're 'sad' and practice every night whereas i dont ;) Thats how i justify me being not as good as i think i am when i play online !

Must admit always been an offline player, multiplayers cool but just prefer single player

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Wed Apr 15, 2015 1:41 pm

I enjoyed the original Halo offline. Loved the big open environments, vehicles and the design of the world (seeing the ring of the Halo stretching up into the distance and then the sky was quite special at the time). It was only the Flood and the awful Library levels that stopped it becoming one of my favourites.
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

Rayne

Post by Rayne » Wed Apr 15, 2015 10:51 pm

theantmeister wrote:
Rayne wrote:Halo. In my mind it's just the best FPS experience available, the controls are natural, the enemies are designed brilliantly and the online is a blast.

What I love is how the franchise gets solid play from me every year. Whether I'm replaying the campaign, playing online, couch co-op, firefight or Forge there's always something for me to do. I also love the connected books, comics, shows and anime shorts.
I will never understand the love Halo gets... I played it on PC and found it to be a very average FPS by PC standards. Of course, I played it after Doom, Unreal, Half Life, Deus Ex, etc.

I feel like most of your criticisms are more due to the divide between PC gaming and Console gaming. Remember that Halo was the one of the first times that the FPS genre had a game that was designed from the ground up for consoles. While I agree that online is a big part of the experience it's by no means it's key asset, I feel like the series stands alone.

While regenerating health was introduced in later entries the original game balanced both a regenerating shield and separate health system. Best of both worlds imo. I've always preferred 2 weapon selection to playing Johnny-All-Guns, I find it forces you to react more on the go, jump to weapons you may not otherwise use and spend time evaluating how bad you'll need a one-shot Rocket Launcher vs a less powerful but more reliable Assault Rifle.

I've played Doom and Unreal Tournament and never understood why people like the zippy ultra-fast movement. While you describe Halo as having plodding movement the reality is that is has some of the best movement in any FPS game, ever. I'll let this rather fantastic Kotaku article describe why: http://kotaku.com/the-unusual-excellenc ... 1631041139

"The combat arena in Halo is a dance floor, and the short range of your assault rifle is an invitation to get up there and dance your heart out." QFT.

I felt like the various levels are all incredible in their own way. As others have said, from the design of the Halo ring to the tight corridors of the Pillar of Autumn everything feels fresh. While a few locations are revisited they each provide completely different experiences the second time around. The emergence of the Flood in the last part of the game was also a stroke of genius! Just as you're becoming confident dealing with the Covenant suddenly you're forced to re-adapt to a new type of enemy that behaves completely differently and has different weaknesses/strengths. Tactics have to be revised and old weapons you'd rely on have to be switched out with weapons you may not have used before.

Lastly a word has to be given to the superb AI in this game. Elites actively duck and flank, Jackals hide just out of effective range behind shields, grunts charge and cause chaos. Every enemy type has a specific purpose and requires careful action to put down.

PC gamers all too often scoff and Halo and each and every time I shake my head. I've played all of the games you've listed at length and while they have their strengths I don't feel they come close to comparing :)

stvd

Post by stvd » Thu Apr 16, 2015 3:48 am

Return to Castle Wolfenstein, Half Life or HL2. Bioshock.

I honestly don't see the continued love for Doom.
Revolutionary at the time, it's so basic nowadays.
I've played some stinkers on the 360 but even those surpass everything Doom has to offer nowadays.

stayAwhile

Post by stayAwhile » Thu Apr 16, 2015 8:38 am

See I love fps games as a whole but going against the grain of modern games I prefer games without iron sights and scopes and fast movement the likes of doom and qauke but I feel the maze and arena shooters are a who diffrent genre to modern shoots point and shoot compared to acurate aiming is its own skill. I do feel halo as good as it is feels outdated where as wolfenstein and doom are masterpeices.Also I feel wolf 3d and spear of destiny are very diffrent beasts to return, enemy territory ,wolfenstein 2009 and new order.

I do like how tf feels like a bit of a retro modern hybrid as well sort of quick paced arena shooter with modern aiming and objective based play albiet ctf variants from my memory, but it does have its roots in qauke although valvue released a half life based remake tf classic.

On the subject of half life anyone played deathmatch classic it has half life weapons but qauke based leavels though for me I prefer qaukes axe to hl's crowbar.
This guy are sick

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Thu Apr 16, 2015 8:52 am

stvd wrote:I honestly don't see the continued love for Doom.
I've played some stinkers on the 360 but even those surpass everything Doom has to offer nowadays.
Retro forum is retro.

I'd easily put Doom among my 'most played' games, still dipping in every now and then. It's dated, but still fun. More so than running round a circuit shooting strangers is, anyway.

Good level design mostly, I guess.

I'd like to like Halo, but it doesn't do it for me, always felt lacking, so I gave up after the third iteration.

I'll throw Alien Trilogy in for its atmosphere, though it has lost something in recent years, partly down to the controls being a bit weird compared to what I'm used to now.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

silvergunner

Post by silvergunner » Thu Apr 16, 2015 9:20 am

Antiriad2097 wrote:
Retro forum is retro.

I'd easily put Doom among my 'most played' games, still dipping in every now and then. It's dated, but still fun. More so than running round a circuit shooting strangers is, anyway.

Good level design mostly, I guess.

I'd like to like Halo, but it doesn't do it for me, always felt lacking, so I gave up after the third iteration.

I'll throw Alien Trilogy in for its atmosphere, though it has lost someth
ing in recent years, partly down to the controls being a bit weird compared to what I'm used to now.
Yeah level design is a great point. Most FPS now take you on a a route the designer wants you to go. But with say some of the old DOOM maps, yes you were going from point A to B but you had lots a different options to get there.

The modern take now is to make the equivalent of a summer block buster movie, all nice effects and story.

Saying that I'm playing Dishonored now and that goes against the grain with multiple routes depending on how strong your powers may be.
Last edited by silvergunner on Thu Apr 16, 2015 4:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

outdated_gamer

Post by outdated_gamer » Thu Apr 16, 2015 11:10 am

Rayne wrote: I've played Doom and Unreal Tournament and never understood why people like the zippy ultra-fast movement.
Arena shooters like UT and Quake are comparable to fighting games (or shoot-em-ups if you want) like SF and Virtua Fighter at "high level" play. It's pure skill and precision/reflex based gameplay and it's easy to spot who is an experienced player and who isn't. Watching the pros going at each other is always interesting while watching the newcommers is pretty boring. The pros have a different style of play which can be almost immidiatelly spotted, knowing the exact layouts of maps, gun strenghts, power up strenghts, movement mechanics and so on. It's simply that a gamepad can never offer the same kind of precision a mouse does, which is why arena shooters never got really big on consoles or feel far too "wooden" and slow in comparison to their PC counterparts.

Anyhow, I liked the original Halo. It felt like a fresh kind of sci-fi shooter to me with progressive elements and while the series may well be considered overrated by some, it cannot be denyed that it re-defined console FPS games and was also highly influential, for better or worse. While some may point the finger at it saying that it triggered the whole auto health regen and limited weapon carrying trend, I wouldn't really say it's the fault of Halo as these mechanics worked well in it, it's just that popular and successful concepts usually get copied a lot and Halo was no exception, especially with the whole shoe-horning of these mechanics into games that didn't or don't really need it.

stvd

Post by stvd » Thu Apr 16, 2015 1:30 pm

Antiriad2097 wrote:
Retro forum is retro.

I'd easily put Doom among my 'most played' games
Yeah, same with Sensible Soccer. It's one of my most played games but I'd very rarely play it nowadays. Surpassed in every way since ISS Pro on PS1 and current PES and Fifa.

On the other hand, PGA tour games on the Megadrive, IMO, have never been bettered.

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Thu Apr 16, 2015 1:41 pm

stvd wrote:
Antiriad2097 wrote:
Retro forum is retro.

I'd easily put Doom among my 'most played' games
Yeah, same with Sensible Soccer. It's one of my most played games but I'd very rarely play it nowadays. Surpassed in every way since ISS Pro on PS1 and current PES and Fifa.

On the other hand, PGA tour games on the Megadrive, IMO, have never been bettered.
Yet for me, I can't go back to the old golf games having played Wii Sports Golf/Tiger Woods with motion control.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.