So what is your best FPS then?

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

Dam

Re: So what is your best FPS then?

Post by Dam » Wed Oct 01, 2014 7:52 pm

pratty wrote:
Megamixer wrote:
theantmeister wrote: It is an utter bastard. I've never finished it. The furthest I've got is to the helicopter.
I'm assuming you're talking about playing the game on the hardest difficulty? It took me ages to beat the Siberia level on that and didn't get a whole lot further into the game on the 'hard' difficulty beyond that.
Same here, I did it on hard once, not sure if i did any other levels on hard after that. But on medium it's certainly doable. I remember several attempts on hard where I managed to get to the dam/helicopter part, the very end basically, with full health and amour, only to get destroyed in seconds.

I suppose it is a long level (at least on medium and hard), never really thought about that much, but I love it, maybe my fave level from the series, especially with it being a nod to Goldeneye.

Can't believe anyone would find Future Perfect rubbish, I don't think there's much in it between the TS2 and TS:FP games. TS2 seemed like a collection of different levels or mini stories, where as FP felt more like a long continous story which I prefered. Also FP has a few more additions and characters, nothing major but widescreen is nice.

Haven't played Timesplitters 1 yet, but my brother recently picked up a PS2 with it so hopefully I'll borrow that off him soon.
I only played it on medium or normal or whatever. I didn't mean that is was like brutally hard, its is certainly doable, but it is for sure the longest and hardest level in the game, so it seems odd that they made it level 1, no?

As for Timesplitters FP, the mini challenges which I really loved about 2 just seem less fun, like they ran out of ideas and they were trying too hard. The subtle humour of TS2 has now turned to an all out attempt to be 'goofy' to the point that its no longer even funny at all, and Cortez is such a dull and unlikable idiot. But the worst thing of all, I played through the story of TS2 in co-op with my friend, and we were really looking forward to playing FP, but the co-op mode was completely and utterly broken due to one player constantly being 'warped' forward to catch up with the other, sometimes several times in quick succession, and sometimes when there was only a small distance between the players. Does nobody play test these things?

pratty

Post by pratty » Wed Oct 01, 2014 8:55 pm

Dam wrote:I only played it on medium or normal or whatever. I didn't mean that is was like brutally hard, its is certainly doable, but it is for sure the longest and hardest level in the game, so it seems odd that they made it level 1, no?

As for Timesplitters FP, the mini challenges which I really loved about 2 just seem less fun, like they ran out of ideas and they were trying too hard. The subtle humour of TS2 has now turned to an all out attempt to be 'goofy' to the point that its no longer even funny at all, and Cortez is such a dull and unlikable idiot. But the worst thing of all, I played through the story of TS2 in co-op with my friend, and we were really looking forward to playing FP, but the co-op mode was completely and utterly broken due to one player constantly being 'warped' forward to catch up with the other, sometimes several times in quick succession, and sometimes when there was only a small distance between the players. Does nobody play test these things?
My experience of TS2 was that I started on easy, so the levels are actually much shorter, as well as easier, I seem to recall you had to start on easy but I might be wrong, if you did then it would have had a shorter, easier introduction to the game. I found normal to be a solid a challenge which did increase as the levels progressed. I think the replaying the levels on each difficulty was probably intended so they did effectively increase as you played through both difficulties, given there are only 9 in the game I think they wanted all of them fairly lengthy, what surprised me though was that the last level was so disappontingly short.

Don't think I ever played co-op, but if it's broken like you say then that is a black mark against the game, though as i never played it itnever spoiled my exjoyment of the game. I actually liked Cortez, I looked at him as a kind of Vin Diesel parody.
Pratty's trade list, updated (May 2019)!
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=54823

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Thu Oct 02, 2014 1:40 pm

I did all of the TS2 levels on easy and medium with little trouble. The highest difficulty was really just an exercise in dying loads of times and remember where each enemy appeared so that you could shoot them straight away and not take too much damage. How on earth I survived the chopper attack at the end of the first level I don't know (there's no real safe spot so therefore no strategy) but my hard mode run ended with Neo Tokyo I believe.

Future Perfect definitely isn't as 'pure' as the second game but the deathmatches were just as enjoyable, the selection of characters seemed more interesting and the best arenas from the previous game were brought back anyway. Plus, no other FPS has the awesomeness of dual flare guns :mrgreen: There was nothing more satisfying than hitting an invisible opponent from waaaaay across a map with a flare gun! I also managed to hit 100% completion with this game even though some of the challenges drove me insane (fighting the zombie cows with the injection gun for the gold trophy for example or the 'Cortez can't jump' elevator/basketball mission).

The original game is still fun but can't really stand up to TS2. It's very old and difficult and it shows.
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

SonicTheHedgehog

Post by SonicTheHedgehog » Fri Oct 03, 2014 12:29 am

Exhumed is the best FPS iv played. The amazing atmosphere, level design are even to this day above any other fps iv played.

Bioshock, Metroid Prime & Duke Nukem 3d would be my 2nd, 3rd & 4th favorites. I also loved Rise Of The Triad when i played through it back in the mid 90's. Goldeneye is the most fun iv had playing a FPS in multiplayer mode.
The square is a great shape, and one that is criminally underused in modern game design. In the push to ever more granular, chaotic environments, games have lost sight of the simple pleasures of right angles and straight lines.

sirpigmeat

Post by sirpigmeat » Fri Oct 03, 2014 3:27 am

I think Goldeneye and Half Life 1 and 2 are the only fps i've ever really, really enjoyed... I don't mind the others i've played like halo, doom and such but I tend to get bored of them after awhile... Like, hey, i've been shooting stuff for a couple hours now, whats next? Oh... more shooting stuff.

The Hardest of All Freds

Post by The Hardest of All Freds » Fri Oct 03, 2014 2:58 pm

Prey.

Seriously the only FPS I played through and was genuinely sad when it ended
Going Solo...................

JoeNTMY

Post by JoeNTMY » Fri Oct 03, 2014 3:42 pm

Doom. Followed by... Modern Warfare 2 - I had a great time with friends, and I was pretty good on it.

aztecca

Post by aztecca » Fri Oct 03, 2014 6:47 pm

For the single player story mode playthroughs my top 3 are.

Oddworld strangers wrath.
F.E.A.R
Half life 2

Multiplayer online

Cod black ops 2 (demolition)
SH1T HAPPENS :wink:

HalcyonDaze00

Post by HalcyonDaze00 » Fri Oct 03, 2014 7:00 pm

single player - Half Life 2, COD 4 Modern Warfare

online multiplayer - Black Ops 2

Boris Dingofluff

Post by Boris Dingofluff » Sat Oct 04, 2014 3:45 am

Single player: System Shock 2, Half Life 2
Multiplayer: Perfect Dark
Online: Counter Strike, Unreal Tournament

Ill give CoD4 an honorable mention, the online multiplayer was amazing. Perfect maps, perfect leveling and the TrueRank servers filtered out all the P90 wielding Juggernoobs.

I'm sure they're not the best, but I've played these more than any.

IronMaidenRule

Post by IronMaidenRule » Sat Oct 04, 2014 7:23 am

Last FPS I really enjoyed was Bulletstorm, fairly flimsy story but the ridiculous amount of ways to kill enemies was brilliant.

PaulEMoz

Post by PaulEMoz » Sat Oct 04, 2014 8:18 am

I'm not a big FPS fan, but I'll mention a few that I've enjoyed.

Clive Barker's Undying - enjoyable with a genuinely creepy vibe.
Return to Castle Wolfenstein - made me feel like I was playing Where Eagles Dare, at least in the early stages.
COD4 - actually made me think a bit about what I was doing.

My favourite ever, and one which won't be on many lists, is the only Halo game I've ever enjoyed - Halo 3: ODST. I suspect a lot of that was because it had three Firefly cast members to draw me in and I enjoyed what they did with those guys tremendously, but I loved the way it was put together and the way you filled the story in as you played. Along with COD4, it's the only FPS I've ever played to completion, and it's the only one I've then started to replay at a higher difficulty level.

SCALEBACK

Post by SCALEBACK » Sat Oct 04, 2014 9:25 pm

Doom3
Quake
Blood
Oblivion
Painkiller

But why couldn't I keep a sledgehammer in Wolfenstein?

sscott

Post by sscott » Sun Oct 05, 2014 6:00 am

Half Life 2 by a chuffin' mile
Big shout for last gen's Bulletstorm though...
Doom etc....

samhain81

Post by samhain81 » Sun Oct 05, 2014 8:09 am

Single Player - Star Trek Elite Force or Soldier of Fortune PC
Multiplayer - Quake 3 Arena/Rocket Arena 3