So what is your best FPS then?

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

outdated_gamer

Re: So what is your best FPS then?

Post by outdated_gamer » Tue Sep 30, 2014 5:24 pm

I'm leaning heavily towards Doom 1 (DOS original) but I have to say I had some real fun playing Project IGI which I consider to be the unofficial "GoldenEye 2", even more so than Perfect Dark if I dare to say so. Despite it's flaws, this was the game that made me interested in large, open areas (you could walk literally anywhere), real guns (before I wasn't interested into them) and stealthy gameplay (even a single enemy could kill you within a second or two when confronted).

I'm also a huge fan of id Software's games in general (up to, let's say, Quake 4 - Rage was disappointingly buggy and didn't even have a DM mode) and also Valve's games, although the only title that really blew me away was the first Half-Life (I somehow couldn't bring myself to finish the second one) but I was also impressed by Serious Sam and how well it captured the "essence" of the older Dooms (more so than Doom 3 which went into a more "horror" direction) and I was frightened by the Aliens vs Predator games (especially when playing with the marine).

The Unreal/Unreal Tournament games impressed me with the visuals but I never was a fan but I liked the Star Wars themed games like Dark Forces, Jedi Knight and Jedi Outcast the Star Trek themed Elite Force and the gory and fun Solder of Fortune (older Raven Software titles in general, including Heretic and Hexen series) and the hillarious Duke Nukem 3D (which I personally consider to have a bit weak gameplay and succeeding more because of controversial themes but to each his own :wink: ).

From the console-centric FPS titles, I enjoyed the original Halo (was a fun, progressive and pretty game), Turok (original is a bit dated but shooting dinosaurs is always fun :wink: ), Perfect Dark (pretty much everything a GoldenEye fan could hope for from a sequel - besides the lacking Bond license and low framerate) and GoldenEye, which I played a bit late so I wasn't quite as impressed as I could have been during release time. But no doubt it was the most important console shooter at the time, making even some PC-only gamers a bit jealous... :wink:

Plus I give some credit to the original AvP on the Jag also, since that started this franchise and was the first actually enjoyable console FPS, although Zero Tolerance on the MD and Doom on SNES (and the Wolf 3D homebrew port for MD) were also "kinda cool", considering the hardware limits.

I also liked the first Call of Duty which had a really good atmophere, especially the Stalingrad scene but also other parts (was quite short though) and I found MoH: Allied Assault and Brothers in Arms pretty cool too (was never a fan of Battlefield series though).

But this is speaking strictly for "FPS" games. When we're talking about games that also feature 3rd person gameplay and/or are more about tactics, the winner would be the original Operation Flashpoint, with the older Rainbow Six, Ghost Recon and Hidden & Dangerous games getting full credits also.

nakamura wrote: Goldeneye 007 is still a complete classic. However I treat it more like Virtua Cop and a true FPS. It's an arcade game through and through with timed objectives and levels that while long at first, can be completed in minutes with skill and knowledge. The auto aim system and the way the enemies prepare for a shot are what make it feel like Virtua Cop. You get a visual trigger to when they are going to fire so in most cases, you can avoid and kill even though you don't have precision control.
Interesting view. I also heard that GE was inspired by Virtua Cop, however I feel GE was actually one of the first "realistic" FPS games, with guns taken from real-life, realistic settings, human enemies and quick kills. The game didn't even have a cross hair unless you pressed the R-button and was also one of the first FPS games to feature a sniper rifle.

Joey wrote:UT > Quake

The truth!
In your opinion, yes. :wink:

To me, the older Quakes censored all over UTs... :wink:

koopa42

Post by koopa42 » Tue Sep 30, 2014 5:58 pm

Do you have tourette’s? or a nervous tick?

outdated_gamer

Post by outdated_gamer » Tue Sep 30, 2014 6:05 pm

koopa42 wrote:Do you have tourette’s? or a nervous tick?
Let's try to keep this thread more about the theme of discussion and less about me, eh? :wink:

Although we all here share our own views and thoughts... :wink:

koopa42

Post by koopa42 » Tue Sep 30, 2014 6:15 pm

I dunno, I think there is more than enough winks in this thread to overtake the actual topic

outdated_gamer

Post by outdated_gamer » Tue Sep 30, 2014 6:20 pm

koopa42 wrote:I dunno, I think there is more than enough winks in this thread to overtake the actual topic
That's just my posting style, don't worry about it. :wink:

It's not ment to be provocative or anything, but I may cut down a little on them if you so insist... :P

Guitar_Geek

Post by Guitar_Geek » Wed Oct 01, 2014 4:14 am

HL2 is damn near perfection, and I also love Doom. But one of my favourites is an underrated DOS game called Blood. Definitely check it out if you're a fan of games like Duke 3D or Shadow Warrior.

kiwimike

Post by kiwimike » Wed Oct 01, 2014 6:05 am

Doom/Doom 2 Compilation on PS1. Still the best IMO. Pure blasting fun.

Goldeneye on N64 second.

I've enjoyed FPS over many formats since, but nothing has bettered those for me. I would love a 3DS version of the PS1 Doom set :)

Dam

Post by Dam » Wed Oct 01, 2014 6:42 am

pratty wrote:
Megamixer wrote:Timesplitters Future Perfect - amazing deathmatches, cool characters and a much better single player mode than the previous games. TS2 is almost on par though thanks to the more 'raw' gameplay.
This, Timesplitters rules.

I can understand people picking Goldeneye. From a purely nostalgic point of view it probably gave me the most joy, but these days I have to admit it's been surpassed. Even at the time Perfect Dark ran it very close and was superior in some ways.
I loved TS2, but I thought Future Perfect was rubbish. Also is it just me, or does TS2 have surely the longest, hardest 1st level in any FPS? I could see that level putting some people off, but the game gets so much better afterwards.

theantmeister

Post by theantmeister » Wed Oct 01, 2014 7:20 am

Dam wrote:I loved TS2, but I thought Future Perfect was rubbish. Also is it just me, or does TS2 have surely the longest, hardest 1st level in any FPS? I could see that level putting some people off, but the game gets so much better afterwards.
It is an utter bastard. I've never finished it. The furthest I've got is to the helicopter.

thompson9980

Post by thompson9980 » Wed Oct 01, 2014 8:25 am

koopa42 wrote:I dunno, I think there is more than enough winks in this thread to overtake the actual topic
Is that another typo?
STUFF WANTED:
Sega 32X
Sega Megadrive, Japanese, mark 1
Sega Megadrive II

koopa42

Post by koopa42 » Wed Oct 01, 2014 8:55 am

thompson9980 wrote:
Is that another typo?
Ask MPM, He's in charge of all grammar and spelling and the reporting there of

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Wed Oct 01, 2014 8:58 am

koopa42 wrote:
thompson9980 wrote:
Is that another typo?
Ask MPM, He's in charge of all grammar and spelling and the reporting there of
Ooooh, handbags at dawn then?

There'll be a facebook drama about it next ;)
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Wed Oct 01, 2014 10:52 am

theantmeister wrote:
Dam wrote:I loved TS2, but I thought Future Perfect was rubbish. Also is it just me, or does TS2 have surely the longest, hardest 1st level in any FPS? I could see that level putting some people off, but the game gets so much better afterwards.
It is an utter bastard. I've never finished it. The furthest I've got is to the helicopter.
I'm assuming you're talking about playing the game on the hardest difficulty? It took me ages to beat the Siberia level on that and didn't get a whole lot further into the game on the 'hard' difficulty beyond that.
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

pratty

Post by pratty » Wed Oct 01, 2014 2:52 pm

Megamixer wrote:
theantmeister wrote:
I'm assuming you're talking about playing the game on the hardest difficulty? It took me ages to beat the Siberia level on that and didn't get a whole lot further into the game on the 'hard' difficulty beyond that.
Same here, I did it on hard once, not sure if i did any other levels on hard after that. But on medium it's certainly doable. I remember several attempts on hard where I managed to get to the dam/helicopter part, the very end basically, with full health and amour, only to get destroyed in seconds.

I suppose it is a long level (at least on medium and hard), never really thought about that much, but I love it, maybe my fave level from the series, especially with it being a nod to Goldeneye.

Can't believe anyone would find Future Perfect rubbish, I don't think there's much in it between the TS2 and TS:FP games. TS2 seemed like a collection of different levels or mini stories, where as FP felt more like a long continous story which I prefered. Also FP has a few more additions and characters, nothing major but widescreen is nice.

Haven't played Timesplitters 1 yet, but my brother recently picked up a PS2 with it so hopefully I'll borrow that off him soon.
Pratty's trade list, updated (May 2019)!
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=54823

gman72

Post by gman72 » Wed Oct 01, 2014 3:20 pm

pratty wrote: Same here, I did it on hard once.
Me too, the mrs loved it but i havent managed it since. :wink:
“To gain your own voice, you have to forget about having it heard.” —Allen Ginsberg, WD