So what is your best FPS then?

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

Dam

Re: So what is your best FPS then?

Post by Dam » Tue Sep 30, 2014 7:09 am

thompson9980 wrote:Doom without question.

Everything else is just varying levels of 'not as good as Doom'!
Agreed. Doom is exactly what I want from an FPS, no story, no cut scenes, no fiddly controls where I forget what the 100 different button combinations do, just a vast amount of inventive enemies between me and the exit gate.

I still play Doom classic complete on the PS3 often, an awesome compilation which makes all the other versions I have redundant.

I would say Doom could be my favourite game of all time, its either that or SFIV, its a tough call.

thompson9980

Post by thompson9980 » Tue Sep 30, 2014 8:42 am

Dam wrote:Doom is exactly what I want from an FPS, no story, no cut scenes, no fiddly controls where I forget what the 100 different button combinations do, just a vast amount of inventive enemies between me and the exit gate.
That pretty much sums it up for me too. Can't be doing with faffing about.
I admit to not having played any Half Life games so perhaps my judgement as a little biased :D
STUFF WANTED:
Sega 32X
Sega Megadrive, Japanese, mark 1
Sega Megadrive II

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Tue Sep 30, 2014 9:34 am

As a general rule, I'll always go for 50fps over 60fps.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

pantal00ns

Post by pantal00ns » Tue Sep 30, 2014 11:13 am

Antiriad2097 wrote:As a general rule, I'll always go for 50fps over 60fps.
Thats some refreshing humour! At any rate back to the question at hand.

Loved DOOM to bits, but for out there fun Blood! was a good jaunt.

Never gave Half-Life the time, only installed it to play counterstrike...a lot.

Having fingers like pigs tits meant playing an FPS on a console was not very succesful, like wanking after handling chillies. It should be fun but always too painful to be satisfying.

ootini

Post by ootini » Tue Sep 30, 2014 11:32 am

Obviously there is the trinity of Wolfenstein - Doom - Quake which were essentially the same developers taking an idea and improving upon it with each iteration. I was absolutely gobsmacked the first time I saw each of them in action. It went from “oh wow fast moving 3D’ to “Oh wow there’s stairs” to “Oh wow you can look up and down and go over and under obstacles!”

Personally though, my two most favorites are Terminator Future Shock (and to a lesser extent SkyNet which used the same engine). Not a game you hear to much about these days, but I really enjoyed them at the time. Future shock had such a great sense of atmosphere, it was rock hard difficult and it had a wide range of weapons as well as the ability to pilot vehicles. I was immediately reminded of these games when I fist played Fallout 3 especially when the geiger counter kicked in for the first time.

Second is Deus Ex. Took the FPS to the next level if you ask me. It wasn’t just about all guns blazing, there were multiple ways to achieve objectives and there was a pretty good plot/story to it. The addition of RPG elements like conversation trees and augments also provided better immersion than your standard FPS. Again most of these elements that were present in the recent Fallout games.

gunbladelad

Post by gunbladelad » Tue Sep 30, 2014 11:45 am

theantmeister wrote:...I fail to see how anybody can still count Goldeneye as "the best".

Especially since Perfect Dark was better :wink:
PD was technically superior, but it ran on the Goldeneye game engine (albeit heavily modified) - I stand by my reasoning on why Goldeneye on the N64 is the best FPS game for me - but the key points are that it proved they could work well on consoles and moved them away from simple maze "shoot everything that moves" blasters.
Where logic won't work, I will

stayAwhile

Post by stayAwhile » Tue Sep 30, 2014 12:04 pm

for SP doom for online titanffall for wave survial COD zombies and its many XBLIG clones
This guy are sick

Matt_B

Post by Matt_B » Tue Sep 30, 2014 12:40 pm

I'll give a nod to the earlier Hovertank and Catacomb, which were the precursors to Wolfenstein. They might only be of historical interest to most people now, but were good games for their time.

Also, although Doom has a reputation for being a relatively straight shooter with dumb AI, there's still a lot of scope for creative level designers to come up with inventive puzzles to add to the gameplay. Final Doom in particularly contains some of the most challenging levels you'll find in any FPS, with extensive use of teleports, mazes, lock doors requiring backtracking, and exquisitely baited ambushes.

PostieDoc

Post by PostieDoc » Tue Sep 30, 2014 1:12 pm

Unreal Tournament, the most fun I've ever had in multi-player.

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Tue Sep 30, 2014 1:47 pm

Timesplitters Future Perfect - amazing deathmatches, cool characters and a much better single player mode than the previous games. TS2 is almost on par though thanks to the more 'raw' gameplay.

Others that I adore:

Halo (original Xbox version)
Outlaws
XIII
Black
Urban Chaos: Riot Response
Doom
(PS1 version)
Doom 3
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

crusto

Post by crusto » Tue Sep 30, 2014 2:11 pm

che_don_john wrote:Hard to look past HL2, isn't it? For me it's almost a given.

So, aside from that I'd probably say Dark Forces - just something about it that's always stuck with me. Bioshock not far behind.

Honourable mentions for Bulletstorm, The Darkness 2 and Resistance 3. I know they're by no means classics but one thing I look for in an FPS is how it 'feels' to fire the guns. Too many games feel like you're waving an air rifle on the end of a long, flimsy stick. Those games I've mentioned all have a great, almost gratuitous feel about them.
That's a good point with regards to the guns. A perfect example of this is in HL2 when you pick up the revolver for the first time and the guard bursts through the door.. Bang! And whoosh, he flies right back through the way he came in! Makes you feel like a real badass, and the revolver was my instant favourite.

Haven't heard any mentions for Black yet which is a little surprising. That was a very good game.

Eat your nans pants

nakamura

Post by nakamura » Tue Sep 30, 2014 2:35 pm

DooM on PS1 was the first real FPS game I fell in love with and it remains a masterpiece today. I utterly love the challenge it offers and lack of modern gaming tropes such as regenerating health and checkpoints.

Black on PS2 is my favourite realistic style FPS. It's superbly designed, visually amazing and a real challenge. Limited checkpointing and health regens, no respawning enemies and superbly thought out levels make it a winner.

Goldeneye 007 is still a complete classic. However I treat it more like Virtua Cop and a true FPS. It's an arcade game through and through with timed objectives and levels that while long at first, can be completed in minutes with skill and knowledge. The auto aim system and the way the enemies prepare for a shot are what make it feel like Virtua Cop. You get a visual trigger to when they are going to fire so in most cases, you can avoid and kill even though you don't have precision control.

Half Life 2, never played it. Should.

Other games I love.

Red Faction.
Timesplitters 2.
Darkwatch.
Halo CE.
FPS parts in Agent Under Fire.
Alien Trilogy.

Also Cold Winter is well worth a mention. Really enjoyable.
http://judged-by-gabranth.blogspot.co.uk/
Antiriad2097 wrote:I have a general rule of thumb that if Nakamura likes something, it's not for me ;)

Joey

Post by Joey » Tue Sep 30, 2014 3:05 pm

UT > Quake

The truth!

crusto

Post by crusto » Tue Sep 30, 2014 3:25 pm

For anybody who has yet to play HL2 and wishes to do so then the Orange Box is an absolute must. Probably the best value for money purchase there is. And that applies to when it was full price.

Eat your nans pants

pratty

Post by pratty » Tue Sep 30, 2014 4:37 pm

Megamixer wrote:Timesplitters Future Perfect - amazing deathmatches, cool characters and a much better single player mode than the previous games. TS2 is almost on par though thanks to the more 'raw' gameplay.
This, Timesplitters rules.

I can understand people picking Goldeneye. From a purely nostalgic point of view it probably gave me the most joy, but these days I have to admit it's been surpassed. Even at the time Perfect Dark ran it very close and was superior in some ways.
Pratty's trade list, updated (May 2019)!
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=54823