So what is your best FPS then?

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

outdated_gamer

Re: So what is your best FPS then?

Post by outdated_gamer » Fri Apr 17, 2015 1:47 pm

Antiriad2097 wrote:
stvd wrote:I honestly don't see the continued love for Doom.
Revolutionary at the time, it's so basic nowadays.
I've played some stinkers on the 360 but even those surpass everything Doom has to offer nowadays.
Retro forum is retro.

I'd easily put Doom among my 'most played' games, still dipping in every now and then. It's dated, but still fun. More so than running round a circuit shooting strangers is, anyway.

Good level design mostly, I guess.
Not only that, it also had/has great gunplay (weapons with actual "punch" to them), great music (PC, SNES and 3DO versions; the PS soundtrack was sucky), cool monsters, diverse levels, many secrets, challenging gameplay, potential for speedrunning, multi-player, mods, etc. It's a classic shooting game in every sense of the word and very playable and enjoyable to this day. Infact it's one of those "evergreen" games that people will be returning to in years to come while a lot of modern shooter games will be simply fogotten about due to how generic and uninspired they are.

silvergunner

Post by silvergunner » Sat Apr 18, 2015 4:20 am

No no no no no the PS1 soundtrack was not sucky. That really changed the game for me. The awful midi rock soundtrack is awful to listen to. Nowhere near as atmospheric as the PS1 soundtrack.

nokgod

Post by nokgod » Sat Apr 18, 2015 4:44 am

silvergunner wrote:No no no no no the PS1 soundtrack was not sucky. That really changed the game for me. The awful midi rock soundtrack is awful to listen to. Nowhere near as atmospheric as the PS1 soundtrack.

Yeah, those baby screams raised the hairs on the back of my arms. :shock: I always loved the PS1 version of Doom and thought the soundtrack was spot on.
sscott wrote:I thought Tomb Raider was the best game of last gen (and I fuck1n hate the Tomb Raider series!)

The Laird

Post by The Laird » Sat Apr 18, 2015 5:32 am

nokgod wrote:
silvergunner wrote:No no no no no the PS1 soundtrack was not sucky. That really changed the game for me. The awful midi rock soundtrack is awful to listen to. Nowhere near as atmospheric as the PS1 soundtrack.
Yeah, those baby screams raised the hairs on the back of my arms. :shock: I always loved the PS1 version of Doom and thought the soundtrack was spot on.
Where as I think music in a game like Doom totally ruins it and takes away all the atmosphere.

snesfanboy

Post by snesfanboy » Sat Apr 18, 2015 5:37 am

the fun thing about Doom is that it can be played in short bursts and you still can complete levels, it's the basic nature that makes it playable, no clutter, just shooting

i have a hard time deciding which is the best, since i'm not that big on the genre (or as big as i used to be when i was young), but i've compiled a little list here :

Doom 1 & 2
Serious Sam 1st & 2nd Encounter
Duke Nukem 3D
Bulletstorm

nokgod

Post by nokgod » Sat Apr 18, 2015 5:43 am

The Laird wrote:
nokgod wrote:
Where as I think music in a game like Doom totally ruins it and takes away all the atmosphere.
Music creates the atmosphere imo...but we're all different, so if you prefer silence, mute your tv and play it. No problem then.
sscott wrote:I thought Tomb Raider was the best game of last gen (and I fuck1n hate the Tomb Raider series!)

silvergunner

Post by silvergunner » Sat Apr 18, 2015 10:40 am

nokgod wrote:

Yeah genius to do what they did there. Played in the dark with headphones on as a kid it was really tense. More so than most games these days.

The Laird

Post by The Laird » Sat Apr 18, 2015 11:01 am

nokgod wrote:
The Laird wrote: Where as I think music in a game like Doom totally ruins it and takes away all the atmosphere.
Music creates the atmosphere imo...but we're all different, so if you prefer silence, mute your tv and play it. No problem then.
That would just be stupid, as you wouldn't have all the creepy sound effects and screams.

crusto

Post by crusto » Sat Apr 18, 2015 11:28 am

Can't the music be toggled on/off in the menus?

I love HL2’s music, the way it gradually kicks in just after you get the crowbar and make your first few kills.. Awesome.

Eat your nans pants

outdated_gamer

Post by outdated_gamer » Sat Apr 18, 2015 1:34 pm

Meh, the ambient PS sounds hardly fit the "in your face" shooting action of the first two Dooms, imho. Whereas the heavy metal sounds of the original game were really catchy and can stand up on their own even compared to some actual bands (there's a ton of covers out there, even in different musical styles). It's not a horror game and I personally think trying to turn it into one was what made Doom 3 a polarizing game, as it was more "Resident Doom" than the straightforward "guns-a-blazin'" game like the first two games were. But to each their own.

nokgod

Post by nokgod » Sat Apr 18, 2015 1:55 pm

The Laird wrote:
nokgod wrote:
The Laird wrote: Where as I think music in a game like Doom totally ruins it and takes away all the atmosphere.
That would just be stupid, as you wouldn't have all the creepy sound effects and screams.
:lol: duh, really? Mild sarcasm clearly missed or are you being deliberately obtuse?

Negative Creep

Post by Negative Creep » Sat Apr 18, 2015 2:28 pm

outdated_gamer wrote:
Meh, the ambient PS sounds hardly fit the "in your face" shooting action of the first two Dooms, imho. Whereas the heavy metal sounds of the original game were really catchy and can stand up on their own even compared to some actual bands (there's a ton of covers out there, even in different musical styles). It's not a horror game and I personally think trying to turn it into one was what made Doom 3 a polarizing game, as it was more "Resident Doom" than the straightforward "guns-a-blazin'" game like the first two games were. But to each their own.

Generally I liked Doom 3, although getting blindsided by an imp who teleported in behind you gets a bit tedious the 260th time it happens. The first two still stand up because they just "feel" so right and there's far more strategy to it than just running around firing. Whilst Doom 2 looked the same on the surface, the addition of several high tier monsters totally changed the balance

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Sat Apr 18, 2015 3:34 pm

The soundtrack on the PS1 Doom is just bloody ace. It really drew me into the game a lot more and made it all the more creepier.

Doom 3 was a fantastic game too in it's own right and playing it in the dark with the lights off was properly unnerving. Yes, the teleporting monsters was a bit cheap but it kept me on my toes and created some extra tension. I actually tried to start the Resurrection of Evil sequel the other day but the disc must be cacked as the audio logs keep stuttering when I'm trying to listen to them. Perfect excuse to upgrade to the BFG Edition I think.
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

Nemesis

Post by Nemesis » Sat Apr 18, 2015 7:50 pm

outdated_gamer wrote:
God, that original soundtrack was awful. Loved the PS version then downloaded the original on my 360 and quickly deleted it.
Oh and if you want to do little social experiments on our forum don't post about them on your own you plum - Darren@Retro Gamer

t0nedude

Post by t0nedude » Sat Apr 18, 2015 10:09 pm

stvd wrote:Return to Castle Wolfenstein, Half Life or HL2. Bioshock.

I honestly don't see the continued love for Doom.
Revolutionary at the time, it's so basic nowadays.
I've played some stinkers on the 360 but even those surpass everything Doom has to offer nowadays.
No, just no. Doom is FPS carnage distilled into pure fun gameplay, and it wasn't until Serious Sam came along that that level of madness (especially with Doom 2) was replicated. Play it with K+M and it still feels fantastic to play, like the Tetris of FPS games.

The PC is the king of FPS, I personally think that anything (FPS) on console can't stack up to the best FPS's on PC. Halo was good on XBOX but merely above average on PC. Goldeneye was excellent on N64 and again, would be amusing on PC but hardly ground breaking.

I guess a lot of it has to do with the controls, I just can't play FPS's with anything other than K+M, to me a gamepad does not feel natural in the genre.

I'll be boring and say HL2 (My brother would say Doom 2).

Tony.