So what is your best FPS then?

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

Negative Creep

Re: So what is your best FPS then?

Post by Negative Creep » Mon Oct 13, 2014 3:12 pm

Whilst Wolfenstein is undoubtedly a very important game, I don't think it has aged well since today it feels basic and highly repetitive. Doom on the other hand is still utterly awesome with perfect controls, weapons ,balance and varied level design.

crusto

Post by crusto » Mon Oct 13, 2014 3:31 pm

After all this talk, I put on the Orange box yesterday to have a blast with half life 2. I made my nipper watch and he was blown away by it. Always a good sign when someone with no prior knowlegde reacts this way to a game that's a decade old. I couldn't get the controller off him in the end.

It's still as brilliant as the first time I played it and my only minor annoyances are still present from first time around. Namely, dodgy controls on and off the ladders. And difficulty in the swimming sections when you need to surface for air - and Gordon wants to behave like a brick. The gunplay is still really tight and reactive.

Valve have the atmosphere completely nailed, it's almost perfect. Again, just seeing how gripped my nipper was is testament to that.

HL2 is FPS perfetcion.

Eat your nans pants

outdated_gamer

Post by outdated_gamer » Mon Oct 13, 2014 4:53 pm

Pencil Whipped is up there too:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cy_tEPkvYhU

I kid you not... :P

Bluce_Ree

Post by Bluce_Ree » Mon Oct 13, 2014 8:57 pm

Best FPS. Crikey that's a tough one. Far Cry on the PC probably made the biggest impression. It was like being in the movie Predator but prettier.

theantmeister

Post by theantmeister » Tue Oct 14, 2014 3:04 pm

Bluce_Ree wrote:Best FPS. Crikey that's a tough one. Far Cry on the PC probably made the biggest impression. It was like being in the movie Predator but prettier.
Far Cry was very pretty. I still load it up occasionally just to look at the beaches.

The Crater though...man, what a freakin ordeal.

Cervanres

Post by Cervanres » Tue Oct 14, 2014 4:30 pm

I've spent a lot of time on Timesplitters 2 over the years.

c0nfu53d

Post by c0nfu53d » Wed Oct 15, 2014 8:02 am

Strife

regms

Post by regms » Thu Oct 30, 2014 8:13 pm

i will go with CS: Source they have the best counter strike version source servers list

The Laird

Post by The Laird » Tue Apr 14, 2015 5:43 am

Those who love Doom will enjoy this, a recording of the entire Q&A with John Romero that took place at Revival last year :D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7fJcZWmlBKU

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Tue Apr 14, 2015 5:56 am

Gutted i couldnt make that show. Would have been brilliant to have met the legend

Anyway best FPS...

Difficult to say just one. I never played Wolfenstein years back, i went straight onto Doom. That blew me away. Strangely enough i never played Quake when it first came out, went straight onto Quake II which i loved and played like anything. Duke Nukem another classic, the early Medal of Honour/Call of Duty games were stunning. Dark Forces a lot of great memories with. Half Life 1 and 2 again stunning games.

Impossible to say what one !

STranger81

Post by STranger81 » Tue Apr 14, 2015 3:02 pm

Doom 2 is a game I've loved since I was 13 and my folks bought me my first PC for Christmas and I went into town and bought Doom 2 and spent the rest of the holiday just hammering that game.

Quake 3 Arena was brilliant as it gave me my first taste of online FPS thanks to the Dreamcast Internet and it was my first online game and loved sharing the experience with other people. Also my first taste of a clan (team frag forever!)

Call of Duty blew me away. Got the demo on a cover disk and after playing it went straight to Woolworths and picked it up. It felt like I was playing a film with all the fantastic lighting.

Counter Strike. Mainly Condition Zero and Source. Used to play this at my last job on works pc when we first got the Internet at the shop. I racked un an ungodly amount of hours on this. I actually used to shut the shop and made a sign saying "back in 1 hour due to urgent delivery" and turn the lights off so I could play this uninterrupted.

Halo is the reason I bought an Xbox and it was worth every penny. The halo games since then haven't impressed me one bit but the first one will always be a classic.

Never really got into half life games. They're very good but never really grabbed me.

Black is awesome. Love the gritty feel to it and the guns feel so solid and real. Emptying an assault rifle into a couple of enemies is almost sexual.

Now a days it's Black Ops 2 online mostly. Fantastic level design, great guns and stupidly powerful kill streaks.
Xbox gamer tag: kingboo81

PaulEMoz

Post by PaulEMoz » Tue Apr 14, 2015 3:47 pm

I forgot to mention Outlaws earlier in the thread. And now that it's available on GOG, I can play it again! :D

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Tue Apr 14, 2015 5:11 pm

PaulEMoz wrote:I forgot to mention Outlaws earlier in the thread. And now that it's available on GOG, I can play it again! :D
Yeah I'm very tempted to download it since my original big box edition is shoved in a drawer somewhere and I assume it won't work on Win 7.

"Where are ya Marshaaaaalll?" :lol:

I used to spend ages just shooting glass bottles and windows...
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

woody130496

Post by woody130496 » Tue Apr 14, 2015 5:29 pm

Fallout 3 has to be my best fps mainly because i put about 3,000 Hours into it before i lost my 360 i can still play through most of it from memory

Rayne

Post by Rayne » Wed Apr 15, 2015 12:40 am

Halo. In my mind it's just the best FPS experience available, the controls are natural, the enemies are designed brilliantly and the online is a blast.

What I love is how the franchise gets solid play from me every year. Whether I'm replaying the campaign, playing online, couch co-op, firefight or Forge there's always something for me to do. I also love the connected books, comics, shows and anime shorts.