Every notable video game ever?

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer

mitch3burke

Re: Every notable video game ever?

Post by mitch3burke » Mon Sep 29, 2014 9:07 pm

ncf1 wrote:hehe this is a huge task even for someone who has been there from the start, but full credit to you - I am sure it would be hugely entertaining looking back at the history of gaming from a perspective of a younger person. I think subjectivity makes it so much more difficult because ask 20 different people what they think is a defining c64 or Amiga game for instance and you will get all sorts of answers. But I realize that's one of the reasons I'm here on this forum, its fun, you can never be quite wrong! hehe.

My journey started with the Apple 2 in 1979 and the defining games for that system - for me anyway - might be Beyond Castle Wolfenstein, Chivalry, Conan, David's Midnight Magic, Falcons, Transylvania, Hitchhikers Guide To The Galaxy, Karateka.

Most of them were quite popular at the time, but still they are just my own selections, my own favourites.

Best of luck to you! ;)
Thanks for the support, I appreciate it! I'll make sure to check out all of those games, I've heard of a few of them so it'll be fun to bring the legends to life.

mitch3burke

Post by mitch3burke » Mon Sep 29, 2014 9:15 pm

Negative Creep wrote:I'm wondering if it might be easier to work backwards? If you only have experience of modern games then retro ones can come as quite a shock. To be honest you may find some cherished ones, especially racing or FPS games, pretty unplayable by today's standards if you didn't play them at the time
I see what you mean, I will hopefully appreciate all of the games. I think working backwards will ruin the experience as it's virtually watching games get worse (no offence to any video games intended) so if I start from the bottom and lay off modern video games it'll be like I'm really in the 40s (not really)

mitch3burke

Post by mitch3burke » Mon Sep 29, 2014 9:21 pm

TwoHeadedBoy wrote:All good points... OR:

Think of your favourite current game, and investigate the history of that particular genre? For instance, if Spyro's your favourite, just concentrate on platformers?
That's a really interesting idea! I'd have to say one of my favourite games of all time is Sonic Adventure 2 Battle for the GameCube (weird I know) and going through Sonic's history does sound really fun! Thanks for the suggestion!

mitch3burke

Post by mitch3burke » Mon Sep 29, 2014 9:26 pm

TwoHeadedBoy wrote:These are fairly good - taken from a 1999 bookazine thing called What Games Machine? (Future Publishing):

Thanks, I'll definitely look at all of the games on there!

mitch3burke

Post by mitch3burke » Mon Sep 29, 2014 9:35 pm

SpockIOM wrote:You've got too much time on your hands mate! Not that I'd complain about having that much time to play games.
Online lists and magazines are a good place to start. Also maybe look out for compilations available which tend to showcase the best (and some of the more "meh") from various developers or a particular platform. Maybe have a look at games that are being remade/remastered and their original forms. And look at what's available on Wii Virtual Console/PSN/XBL in the retro sections.
I don't think there are many really crap games being released on compilations or online these days. In fact the worst one I can remember being released was on the Midway Arcade Collection for PS1 - a great collection apart from Road Blasters which I hated, but did have it's place in helping games like Road Rash to evolve.
But if I had to give you a top 5 from the 80s to play I'd say: Gauntlet, Bubble Bobble, Super Mario Bros, Tetris, Wonder Boy in Monster Land.
Thanks for the input, I've never heard of Bubble Bobble before or Wonder Boy in Monster Land before so I'll definitely check those out!

the_hawk

Post by the_hawk » Mon Sep 29, 2014 10:07 pm

mitch3burke wrote:I've never heard of Bubble Bobble before
Awesome! You are in for a treat.

I'd LOVE to play Bubble Bobble again for the first time.
You can follow me on Twitter https://twitter.com/DaveySloan
Sponsor Me http://www.justgiving.com/daveysloan2014

OR type 99 to continue

mitch3burke

Post by mitch3burke » Mon Sep 29, 2014 10:21 pm

the_hawk wrote:
mitch3burke wrote:I've never heard of Bubble Bobble before
Awesome! You are in for a treat.

I'd LOVE to play Bubble Bobble again for the first time.
I'll make sure to remember the_hawk when I play it for the first time!

pratty

Post by pratty » Mon Sep 29, 2014 10:32 pm

Some games/series you may want to check out:

Pong
Pacman
Space Invaders
Donkey Kong
Super Mario Bros.
Tetris
Punch Out
Sonic The Hedgehog
Zelda: A Link To The Past
Super Mario World
Super Mario Kart
Super Metroid
OutRun
Street Fighter 2 Turbo
The Secret of Monkey Island/Monkey Island 2
Mortal Kombat/MK2
Chrono Trigger
Castlevania
Megaman
Bomberman
Gradius
R-Type
Flashback
Lemmings
Speedball 2
Worms
Double Dragon
Streets Of Rage 2
Pokemon
Virtua Cop
Doom
Quake
Halflife
Worms
Myst
NBA Jam
Super Mario 64
Goldeneye 007
Zelda: Ocarina Of Time
Zelda: Majora's Mask
Starfox 64 (aka Lylat Wars)
Mario Party 2
Super Smash Bros.
F-Zero X
Final Fantasy 7
Resident Evil
Theme Park
Sim City 2000
Tomb Raider
Broken Sword: Shadow Of The Templars
Metal Gear Solid
Last edited by pratty on Tue Sep 30, 2014 12:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
Pratty's trade list, updated (May 2019)!
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=54823

crusto

Post by crusto » Mon Sep 29, 2014 10:48 pm

mitch3burke wrote:Hi, I'm 17 years of age; meaning I didn't get to grow up during the early stages of video gaming. The furthest back I can remember is Spyro on PS1.
I am looking at going into a career in games design and wanted to go back to the beginning of video games and explore every noteable game ever, whether it's good or bad.
I'd like to experience the types of games that started it all, the only games I can think of off the top of my head are Space War!, Pong, and Pacman.
I will be doing thorough research and using this post to chronologically note my journey.
I'd love for anybody to post the games they have loved growing up, no matter what console it is! Could be the Atari 2600, Commadore 64, NES, Macintosh, or even a console most won't have heard of.

Thank you

1947- Cathode Ray Tube Amusement Device
noted as the first ever video game, it was designed to be a missile simulator. The player turns a control censored to position the CRT beam on the screen. I couldn't find a very good description or video of how this works but I'm not surprised since I read that no working models of it exist today.
1951- Nim (Nimrod)
An interesting game where 2 players compete to take the last light, like tic-tac-toe with far more possibilities. There's a less retro version of this game at http://www.archimedes-lab.org/game_nim/nim.html#
Here's my advice..

Get yourself.

1: A dark, quiet room.
2: A can opener.
3: A tap which dispenses drinkable water.
4: A fork.
5: Tins and Tins and Tins of baked beans.
6: A very comfortable toilet designed for long periods of "throne time"
7: And finally, a PC Engine with all of its titles and add on's.

When you eventually emerge you will have all the knowledge you will ever need.

Eat your nans pants

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Mon Sep 29, 2014 11:04 pm

Pong, it had a hidden screen that said "Its down hill from here"
*The Nights of gaming * My inane prattle * Youtube page* new reviews Wednesday and Saturday

mitch3burke

Post by mitch3burke » Mon Sep 29, 2014 11:07 pm

pratty wrote:Some games/series you may want to check out:

Pong
Pacman
Space Invaders
Donkey Kong
Super Mario Bros.
Tetris
Punch Out
Sonic The Hedgehog
Zelda: A Link To The Past
Super Mario World
Super Mario Kart
Super Metroid
OutRun
Street Fighter 2 Turbo
The Secret of Monkey Island/Monkey Island 2
Mortal Kombat/MK2
Chrono Trigger
Castlevania
Megaman
Bomberman
Gradius
R-Type
Flashback
Lemmings
Worms
Double Dragon
Streets Of Rage 2
Pokemon
Virtua Cop
Doom
Quake
Halflife
Worms
Myst
NBA Jam
Super Mario 64
Goldeneye 007
Zelda: Ocarina Of Time
Zelda: Majora's Mask
Starfox 64 (aka Lylat Wars)
Mario Party 2
Super Smash Bros.
F-Zero X
Final Fantasy 7
Resident Evil
Theme Park
Sim City 2000
Tomb Raider
Broken Sword: Shadow Of The Templars
Metal Gear Solid
Thanks! I see a lot of recognisable games that I've never actually seen gameplay of!

mitch3burke

Post by mitch3burke » Mon Sep 29, 2014 11:08 pm

crusto wrote:
mitch3burke wrote:Hi, I'm 17 years of age; meaning I didn't get to grow up during the early stages of video gaming. The furthest back I can remember is Spyro on PS1.
I am looking at going into a career in games design and wanted to go back to the beginning of video games and explore every noteable game ever, whether it's good or bad.
I'd like to experience the types of games that started it all, the only games I can think of off the top of my head are Space War!, Pong, and Pacman.
I will be doing thorough research and using this post to chronologically note my journey.
I'd love for anybody to post the games they have loved growing up, no matter what console it is! Could be the Atari 2600, Commadore 64, NES, Macintosh, or even a console most won't have heard of.

Thank you

1947- Cathode Ray Tube Amusement Device
noted as the first ever video game, it was designed to be a missile simulator. The player turns a control censored to position the CRT beam on the screen. I couldn't find a very good description or video of how this works but I'm not surprised since I read that no working models of it exist today.
1951- Nim (Nimrod)
An interesting game where 2 players compete to take the last light, like tic-tac-toe with far more possibilities. There's a less retro version of this game at http://www.archimedes-lab.org/game_nim/nim.html#
Here's my advice..

Get yourself.

1: A dark, quiet room.
2: A can opener.
3: A tap which dispenses drinkable water.
4: A fork.
5: Tins and Tins and Tins of baked beans.
6: A very comfortable toilet designed for long periods of "throne time"
7: And finally, a PC Engine with all of its titles and add on's.

When you eventually emerge you will have all the knowledge you will ever need.
Done.

adippm82

Post by adippm82 » Mon Sep 29, 2014 11:30 pm

Liamh1982 wrote:^ Not to question the quality of the recommendations but quite a few of those dates are wrong... :roll:

You'd have expected better research from a publisher who'd put out as many games mags as Future.
Yes, that is littered with mistakes, not what you would expect from a publisher that had so many games magazines under it's belt, apart from the myriad of wrong dates:

Flight Simulation was written by Psion, not Hewson, I do not know how Starglider could be described as a 3D strategy game, Resident Evil a platform adventure??

Pac man, a puzzle game never thought that myself.

Anyway to the topic in hand, if you are ever anywhere near Cambridge, you could come and see us at The Centre For Computing History, we have over 60 systems set up to play all the time from Pong to the Xbox One, plus many more that can be plugged in by appointment,, and an archive of over 8000 software titles to choose from, we are already helping colleges to get a grasp of the history of gaming, as well as computing in general.

http://www.computinghistory.org.uk/

pratty

Post by pratty » Tue Sep 30, 2014 1:17 am

mitch3burke wrote:Thanks! I see a lot of recognisable games that I've never actually seen gameplay of!
No probs.

It's not the most comprensive list, nor necessarily the best examples (which is all just opinion anyway), but I think they're a decent start for your investigation.

My intention was to list a variety examples which demonstrated something specific. You needn't hunt down or even play them all, maybe just read up on and watch a few video reviews to get the idea. People might think some of my choices were a bit strange, such as Mario Party 2, but as well as highlight sheer the variety of videogames, the point there was to show an example of the multiplayer/party game, in this case essentially the simulation of a board game, most other board games on computer speak for themselves such as chess, but Mario Party is an original board game, as well as a collection mini games, and also an example of franchising an Interlectual Property into other genres.

Punch Out is an example of a sports game which simplified the mechanics of boxing, instead of similuating a complex sport, the sport was turned into a game of reflexes and pattern recognition, which I think is an interesting approach. One wonders whether the game started as a boxing game or a reflex/pattern recognition, which lead to the other?

Speaking of Sports. I left out sports simulations which speak fo themselves, but included NBA Jam to show how they can be changed to make them more exciting and fun. And I just added Speedball 2 which I forgot, which is an example of a developers creating an original sport, which isn't something we see that much of these days.

Some games I included to give you a taste of it's genre, such as Chrono Trigger which I feel is the quinessential RPG, as well as an excellent example of video music, aswell as time-travel narative. I think it's fairly accessible, how ever if you're new to RPGs and they seem a bit complex and daunting you might want to try something like Paper Mario or Mario and Luigi first which will ease you into the genre and it's conventions such as turn based combat.

I also gave you games you can compare, either as contrasting alternatives within the same genre such as Mario with Sonic, or past and future games such as Mario 2D vs Mario 3D, (not to mention the evolution of the Mario franchise), Chrono Trigger with FF7, Streetfighter 2 with Super Smash Bros etc.
Pratty's trade list, updated (May 2019)!
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=54823

ootini

Post by ootini » Tue Sep 30, 2014 9:41 am

There’s a part of me that would love to just start again from the beginning and experience everything again like it was all new.

I suppose I was lucky in the sense that I experienced a great chunk of things developing over the years, from the Vic-20 onwards anyway. Though in this day and age with the likes of emulation and the diy and home-brew types that keep the older systems alive you’ve got a near full library of games only a few clicks away. Though in that you have a pre existing mountain to tackle which could potentially be daunting to tackle, especially with a certain degree of blindness.

Personally I think the best piece of advise posted would be dippm82’s: Visit the likes of the The Centre For Computing History where you could at least gain both a verbal and practical history. Which would at the least help align your compass to give you a bit of direction. Plus there is a a lot to be said about being aware of the different systems, what they could do, if they introduced anything of note etc. That opportunity for practical interaction should always be taken up.

The 1001 video games you must play before you die is a great book too, most of the 70’, 80’s and 90’s era games are probably all worth having a go of, but most of the later games I feel are there simply to fill space or because they are new(isn) and not because they are that important. From Xbox/Ps2 onwards there is an awful load of duplication on stuff, the likes of the later GTAs and CoD and then all the variations and add-ons included as separate entries.