Every notable video game ever?

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer

mitch3burke

Every notable video game ever?

Post by mitch3burke » Sat Sep 27, 2014 1:06 am

Hi, I'm 17 years of age; meaning I didn't get to grow up during the early stages of video gaming. The furthest back I can remember is Spyro on PS1.
I am looking at going into a career in games design and wanted to go back to the beginning of video games and explore every noteable game ever, whether it's good or bad.
I'd like to experience the types of games that started it all, the only games I can think of off the top of my head are Space War!, Pong, and Pacman.
I will be doing thorough research and using this post to chronologically note my journey.
I'd love for anybody to post the games they have loved growing up, no matter what console it is! Could be the Atari 2600, Commadore 64, NES, Macintosh, or even a console most won't have heard of.

Thank you

1947- Cathode Ray Tube Amusement Device
noted as the first ever video game, it was designed to be a missile simulator. The player turns a control censored to position the CRT beam on the screen. I couldn't find a very good description or video of how this works but I'm not surprised since I read that no working models of it exist today.
1951- Nim (Nimrod)
An interesting game where 2 players compete to take the last light, like tic-tac-toe with far more possibilities. There's a less retro version of this game at http://www.archimedes-lab.org/game_nim/nim.html#
Last edited by mitch3burke on Sat Sep 27, 2014 3:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Liamh1982

Re: Every notable video game ever?

Post by Liamh1982 » Sat Sep 27, 2014 8:39 am

It's not perfect but Tony Mott's book 1001 Video Games You Must Play Before You Die would seem like a decent reference point to start off with.

I'm not sure if there's any way of playing the 40s and 50s stuff but the source code of Spacewar survives and can be played in a PDP-1 emulator.

ToxieDogg

Post by ToxieDogg » Sat Sep 27, 2014 12:14 pm

Jungle King, Jet Set Willy, WWF Wrestlefest and Doom are the only old games you need to play.
ImageImage

RetroPassion - still live and kicking!
Lost Dragon wrote:The 1st rule about Feedback is..

You do not give Feedback!

mitch3burke

Post by mitch3burke » Sat Sep 27, 2014 1:30 pm

Liamh1982 wrote:It's not perfect but Tony Mott's book 1001 Video Games You Must Play Before You Die would seem like a decent reference point to start off with.

I'm not sure if there's any way of playing the 40s and 50s stuff but the source code of Spacewar survives and can be played in a PDP-1 emulator.
I've never heard of that book before but I will definitely check it out! Thanks!

TwoHeadedBoy

Post by TwoHeadedBoy » Sat Sep 27, 2014 2:29 pm

Get yourself some emulators and some full ROM sets and find out for yourself, it'd be more fun that way :D
My comics blog (mostly lesser-known UK stuff from the 80s and 90s)
C=Style wrote:It's always refreshing and nice to see someone such as TwoHeadedBoy who is a SNES hating bastard at the best of times rate a SNES game so highly.

mitch3burke

Post by mitch3burke » Sat Sep 27, 2014 3:31 pm

TwoHeadedBoy wrote:Get yourself some emulators and some full ROM sets and find out for yourself, it'd be more fun that way :D
I plan on using emulators as I'll never be able to afford all the old consoles and games but there's so many out there that I'd have no idea where to begin!

BennyTheGreek

Post by BennyTheGreek » Sat Sep 27, 2014 6:08 pm

Just buy retro gamer and get back issues, then read them, then play the games.

flatapex

Post by flatapex » Sat Sep 27, 2014 7:19 pm

to be honest dude i think you are setting yourself a very difficult task to investigate every notable game ever.

If you wanted to focus on some popular iconic games thats one thing, and is perfectly possible, to focus on every single one is impossible. same as if you watched every film that you should see before you die, or every book you should read, you would be there until you met your maker and half the list you would hate.

my tip is to go to events, the obvious titles will be there and some you might not have thought of, again some you will love and some you will hate, just because something is famous or popular doesnt mean you will or should like it, you will inevitably meet someone that raves about a game and you will hate that same game, that sort of experience is what makes the discovery so much fun, that and some games which you will make you realise why some people love gaming so much

there was a show on a while back called i think 100 greatest video games, i disagreed with about half the list (quite vocally :oops: )

ncf1

Post by ncf1 » Sat Sep 27, 2014 7:34 pm

hehe this is a huge task even for someone who has been there from the start, but full credit to you - I am sure it would be hugely entertaining looking back at the history of gaming from a perspective of a younger person. I think subjectivity makes it so much more difficult because ask 20 different people what they think is a defining c64 or Amiga game for instance and you will get all sorts of answers. But I realize that's one of the reasons I'm here on this forum, its fun, you can never be quite wrong! hehe.

My journey started with the Apple 2 in 1979 and the defining games for that system - for me anyway - might be Beyond Castle Wolfenstein, Chivalry, Conan, David's Midnight Magic, Falcons, Transylvania, Hitchhikers Guide To The Galaxy, Karateka.

Most of them were quite popular at the time, but still they are just my own selections, my own favourites.

Best of luck to you! ;)

Negative Creep

Post by Negative Creep » Sat Sep 27, 2014 10:36 pm

I'm wondering if it might be easier to work backwards? If you only have experience of modern games then retro ones can come as quite a shock. To be honest you may find some cherished ones, especially racing or FPS games, pretty unplayable by today's standards if you didn't play them at the time

TwoHeadedBoy

Post by TwoHeadedBoy » Sun Sep 28, 2014 1:11 am

All good points... OR:

Think of your favourite current game, and investigate the history of that particular genre? For instance, if Spyro's your favourite, just concentrate on platformers?
C=Style wrote:It's always refreshing and nice to see someone such as TwoHeadedBoy who is a SNES hating bastard at the best of times rate a SNES game so highly.

TwoHeadedBoy

Post by TwoHeadedBoy » Sun Sep 28, 2014 1:21 am

These are fairly good - taken from a 1999 bookazine thing called What Games Machine? (Future Publishing):

Liamh1982

Post by Liamh1982 » Sun Sep 28, 2014 9:49 am

^ Not to question the quality of the recommendations but quite a few of those dates are wrong... :roll:

You'd have expected better research from a publisher who'd put out as many games mags as Future.

SpockIOM

Post by SpockIOM » Mon Sep 29, 2014 1:26 pm

You've got too much time on your hands mate! Not that I'd complain about having that much time to play games.
Online lists and magazines are a good place to start. Also maybe look out for compilations available which tend to showcase the best (and some of the more "meh") from various developers or a particular platform. Maybe have a look at games that are being remade/remastered and their original forms. And look at what's available on Wii Virtual Console/PSN/XBL in the retro sections.
I don't think there are many really crap games being released on compilations or online these days. In fact the worst one I can remember being released was on the Midway Arcade Collection for PS1 - a great collection apart from Road Blasters which I hated, but did have it's place in helping games like Road Rash to evolve.
But if I had to give you a top 5 from the 80s to play I'd say: Gauntlet, Bubble Bobble, Super Mario Bros, Tetris, Wonder Boy in Monster Land.
Yours sincerely, the little voice in your head that talks when you read.

mitch3burke

Post by mitch3burke » Mon Sep 29, 2014 9:02 pm

flatapex wrote:to be honest dude i think you are setting yourself a very difficult task to investigate every notable game ever.

If you wanted to focus on some popular iconic games thats one thing, and is perfectly possible, to focus on every single one is impossible. same as if you watched every film that you should see before you die, or every book you should read, you would be there until you met your maker and half the list you would hate.

my tip is to go to events, the obvious titles will be there and some you might not have thought of, again some you will love and some you will hate, just because something is famous or popular doesnt mean you will or should like it, you will inevitably meet someone that raves about a game and you will hate that same game, that sort of experience is what makes the discovery so much fun, that and some games which you will make you realise why some people love gaming so much

there was a show on a while back called i think 100 greatest video games, i disagreed with about half the list (quite vocally :oops: )
Thanks for the insight! Come to the think of it you're right, maybe "every notable video game ever" is a bit of an exaggeration.