PS3 Gaming is great, get on board yo

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

User avatar
retrojc
Posts: 4267
Joined: Tue Feb 17, 2009 5:41 am

Re: PS3 collecting

Post by retrojc » Tue Dec 08, 2015 1:27 pm

Darran@Retro Gamer wrote:My English Aquanaut's Holiday cost me £70.
I love it, along with Africa, which is lovely to play, if a little clunky.
That's a good price on Aquanauts; Afrika I've had for a long time; still unsure on it - just took a little while to get started.

User avatar
Megamixer
Posts: 14890
Joined: Fri Jan 23, 2009 6:18 am
Location: Staffs, UK

Re: PS3 collecting

Post by Megamixer » Thu Dec 10, 2015 6:21 pm

Today I completed Time and Eternity which was a real surprise. It's got an anime style to it but the game tries to look like the whole thing is animated as in you're playing an anime. Doesn't quite 100% pull it off but the real-time battle system is fun + engaging, there is genuine humour (as well as the standard perverted elements) and it wasn't ever too difficult. There was big a choice that the player needs to make right near the end that I thought was near impossible to decide so I have to give it to the game and say that it sucked me in.

Oh and the music was by Yuzo Koshiro of Streets of Rage fame which probably explains why it was so good. Probably one for me to try and hunt out on CD I think.

I don't hear anybody mention this game which is why I've brought it up. Easily the best out of the NIS-published JRPG's that I've had a go on out of my collection thus far.
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

User avatar
samhain81
Posts: 2392
Joined: Fri Sep 16, 2011 10:02 am
Location: Hazuki Residence

Re: PS3 collecting

Post by samhain81 » Fri Dec 11, 2015 4:27 am

Megamixer wrote:Today I completed Time and Eternity which was a real surprise. It's got an anime style to it but the game tries to look like the whole thing is animated as in you're playing an anime. Doesn't quite 100% pull it off but the real-time battle system is fun + engaging, there is genuine humour (as well as the standard perverted elements) and it wasn't ever too difficult. There was big a choice that the player needs to make right near the end that I thought was near impossible to decide so I have to give it to the game and say that it sucked me in.

Oh and the music was by Yuzo Koshiro of Streets of Rage fame which probably explains why it was so good. Probably one for me to try and hunt out on CD I think.

I don't hear anybody mention this game which is why I've brought it up. Easily the best out of the NIS-published JRPG's that I've had a go on out of my collection thus far.
I'm not into jrpgs that much, but even I know that most of the youtubers out there who are, pretty much slated this game globally. Always happy to see that it's got an appeal to some people. Personally, having koshiro as the composer is enough to sway me anyway.

User avatar
Megamixer
Posts: 14890
Joined: Fri Jan 23, 2009 6:18 am
Location: Staffs, UK

Re: PS3 collecting

Post by Megamixer » Fri Dec 11, 2015 11:14 am

samhain81 wrote:
Megamixer wrote:Today I completed Time and Eternity which was a real surprise. It's got an anime style to it but the game tries to look like the whole thing is animated as in you're playing an anime. Doesn't quite 100% pull it off but the real-time battle system is fun + engaging, there is genuine humour (as well as the standard perverted elements) and it wasn't ever too difficult. There was big a choice that the player needs to make right near the end that I thought was near impossible to decide so I have to give it to the game and say that it sucked me in.

Oh and the music was by Yuzo Koshiro of Streets of Rage fame which probably explains why it was so good. Probably one for me to try and hunt out on CD I think.

I don't hear anybody mention this game which is why I've brought it up. Easily the best out of the NIS-published JRPG's that I've had a go on out of my collection thus far.
I'm not into jrpgs that much, but even I know that most of the youtubers out there who are, pretty much slated this game globally. Always happy to see that it's got an appeal to some people. Personally, having koshiro as the composer is enough to sway me anyway.
Oh it won't win any awards and I wouldn't even call it one of the PS3's best JRPG's. It was however a very welcome surprise after going through a slew of NIS-published RPG's that I gave up on due to not enjoying them. I wasn't really aware of the Youtube hate but I don't tend to take the general YT concensus of any game as the gospel anyway :)

Pleased I played it anyway.
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

LonDan
Posts: 64
Joined: Fri Sep 18, 2015 7:44 pm

Re: PS3 collecting

Post by LonDan » Sat Dec 12, 2015 9:53 am

If anyone's got an HMV near them, go and see if they've got any PS3 consoles left.

They are removing what is essentially deadstock from the shelves and selling the 12gb version for £39.99 - yup, 39.99.

All gone in Oxford circus and Westfield but other stores will be selling them at that price if they have them.

Thought I'd give you lot a heads-up.

MadManDan79
Posts: 580
Joined: Sun Jul 05, 2015 11:35 am
Location: Essex

Re: PS3 collecting

Post by MadManDan79 » Sat Dec 12, 2015 3:16 pm

At that price it'd be rude not to...

User avatar
RetroMartin
Posts: 1679
Joined: Mon Sep 06, 2010 4:02 pm

Re: PS3 collecting

Post by RetroMartin » Sat Dec 12, 2015 6:03 pm

I've got about 45+ games for my PS3.

The only "rare" thing I have is the MGS:Legacy Collection which seems bloody hard to find these days.

Still got loads left to buy yet though. Still need Arkham Origins and Red Dead Redemption GOTY off the top of my head.
Image

PSN username - MartinPhantom

AceGrace
Posts: 1357
Joined: Sun Jan 18, 2009 3:51 pm
Location: West Sussex
Contact:

Re: PS3 collecting

Post by AceGrace » Sun Dec 13, 2015 3:14 am

Now is the time to pick up ps3 and 360 games. Persona 4 arena. £3. Yes please :D

User avatar
Megamixer
Posts: 14890
Joined: Fri Jan 23, 2009 6:18 am
Location: Staffs, UK

Re: PS3 collecting

Post by Megamixer » Sun Dec 13, 2015 1:57 pm

RetroMartin wrote: The only "rare" thing I have is the MGS:Legacy Collection which seems bloody hard to find these days.
I have this too and it's a great package. I would just warn anybody hoping to pick it up used that the two PS1 titles come in the form of a download voucher so check that it ain't been redeemed and that it hasn't expired yet. Everything else is on-disc though.
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

User avatar
greenberet79
Posts: 3350
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2010 10:37 am
Location: Liverpool

Re: PS3 collecting

Post by greenberet79 » Wed Dec 16, 2015 11:22 am

Weird to see people collecting for the PS3. I haven't even played on one! The last generation just totally passed me by.
"Very soon our luck will change, we'll do what we need to do to win matches, and we'll fly."

User avatar
retrojc
Posts: 4267
Joined: Tue Feb 17, 2009 5:41 am

Re: PS3 collecting

Post by retrojc » Fri Dec 18, 2015 7:38 am

greenberet79 wrote:Weird to see people collecting for the PS3. I haven't even played on one! The last generation just totally passed me by.
I haven't taken offence to this so don't take my comment as if I have; but what's weird about it? I suspect, mainly because this is a retro forum but still, I am curious :)

User avatar
greenberet79
Posts: 3350
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2010 10:37 am
Location: Liverpool

Re: PS3 collecting

Post by greenberet79 » Fri Dec 18, 2015 7:44 am

retrojc wrote:
greenberet79 wrote:Weird to see people collecting for the PS3. I haven't even played on one! The last generation just totally passed me by.
I haven't taken offence to this so don't take my comment as if I have; but what's weird about it? I suspect, mainly because this is a retro forum but still, I am curious :)
It's odd because to me the PS3 is still a "new" console! I feel like Grandpa Simpson I'm so out of touch!
"Very soon our luck will change, we'll do what we need to do to win matches, and we'll fly."

User avatar
Megamixer
Posts: 14890
Joined: Fri Jan 23, 2009 6:18 am
Location: Staffs, UK

Re: PS3 collecting

Post by Megamixer » Sat Dec 19, 2015 6:25 pm

Been playing a lot of the disc version of GTA San Andreas. Up to the San Fiero side of things already and probably could have gotten there even faster if not for messing about and generally having fun. Anyway, thought I'd share a few quick impressions for anybody curious about picking it up...

Pros

- The graphics are ever-so-slightly better than on the PS2. It looks sharper and some textures/surfaces look notably superior so there's either been a modest tarting-up of the aesthetics or this version is actually based on the Xbox/PC editions which were better looking. In any case, it's a not an earth-shattering improvement by any means but it's better than nothing.

- The front end menu, pause menu and menus within stores etc. look refreshed/different and are easier to use.

- Controls are more like GTA V's so using the triggers to drive the vehicles is better than the old PS2 control scheme.

Cons

- There are numerous audio glitches such as the loading screen music abruptly cutting out around 75% of the way through loading the game from the start menu. Biggest of all however is an annoying radio station glitch; when exiting a vehicle and then getting back in (even straight away), the radio broadcast nearly always seems to go backwards so you end up hearing the same stuff again and again if you're entering/exiting a vehicle quite frequently. Music will tend to have completely switched to something else but it's definitely a major issue with the talk show channels.

- I've encountered a few lock-ups that require a reset of the console. Two happened in quick succession for no apparent reason.

- Some of the default settings are a bit irritating. Sound effects were set waaaaay too loud versus the in-car radio for example and the camera position - by default - is set high up above the car. Obviously you can fiddle with all this in the settings and get it back to what passes for normal.

- When aiming to shoot, you either have the old-school auto lock-on or free-aim but not a combination of both (unless I'm mistaken). Free aim should be better but the reticule will always automatically slide over to a target, making it impossible to freely shoot a certain person when the reticule refuses to stop floating over to a different enemy.

Overall, the game itself is as brilliant as it ever was and I'm really enjoying revisiting San Andreas. It's just a shame that this version generally feels a really unstable with the lock-ups I've experienced and the audio bugs. The radio station one in particular is really crappy because it makes listening to the likes of WCTR pretty much unbearable when you have to keep hearing the same stuff over and over, as if the last few minutes of radio time is destined to keep repeating itself. I paid £20 for this because a) I wanted to know what the hell this version was exactly (the box is simply identical to the original release) and b) I just happened to have the budget that day to risk it but I would say it's worth closer to £10 or whatever the price of the digital download is. It's convenient and better-looking than the PS2 version but I wouldn't bin the latter just yet because it doesn't contain a lot of the glitching that I've encountered.
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

User avatar
djcarlos
Posts: 4196
Joined: Thu Dec 07, 2006 5:57 am
Location: Just outside the Imperial Capital Of Seaford

Re: PS3 collecting

Post by djcarlos » Sat Dec 19, 2015 7:03 pm

Wait....there's a PS4 disc version of SA?
Image

User avatar
Megamixer
Posts: 14890
Joined: Fri Jan 23, 2009 6:18 am
Location: Staffs, UK

Re: PS3 collecting

Post by Megamixer » Sat Dec 19, 2015 7:07 pm

djcarlos wrote:Wait....there's a PS4 disc version of SA?
PS3 :wink:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Grand-Theft-Aut ... ndreas+ps3

Looks like there's a 360 version too.
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests