PS3 Gaming is great, get on board yo

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

Antiriad2097

Re: PS3 collecting

Post by Antiriad2097 » Fri Feb 06, 2015 1:49 pm

I've barely started, I'm thinking I need to get out and buy all the stuff I want before it disappears, I've tried to avoid building a backlog but don't want to not have the essentials.

Do we have a PS3 Essentials thread?
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

Sel Feena

Post by Sel Feena » Sat Feb 07, 2015 2:39 am

retrojc wrote:Are people still collecting for PlayStation 3?

Think I'm almost 10 titles away from having all the games I want :D
Not collecting as such, but there's still stuff I'm picking up - recent buys are Caladrius and Disgaea D2

retrojc

Post by retrojc » Sat Feb 07, 2015 7:29 am

I don't really 'collect' but I realise more and more that I am not really wanting to join the next generation, I have a backlog of almost 150 games, so yeah - I'm picking up the games I want, then playing what I have.

I think my ps3 collection has grown quite a bit, Its about 40 games or so..

Afrika
Alpha Protocol
Bioshock 1 & 2 Rapture Edition
Bioshock Infinite Special Edition
Blood Stone James Bond
Buzz w/controllers
Caladrius Blaze Limited Edition
Dark Souls Limited Edition
Dark Souls Prepare to Die Edition Steelbook
DarkStalkers Collection
Deception IV
Demon Souls Black Phantom Edition
Fallout 3 GOTY
Fallout New Vegas
Final Fantasy X Limited Edition
Folklore
Kingdom Hearts Limited edition
Lego Indiana Jones 2
Lego Lord of the Rings Lt Ed
Lego Marvel Super Heroes Lt Ed
Lego The Hobbit Lt Ed
Lego The Movie Lt Ed
Little Big Planet
Marvel Vs Capcom 3
Mirrors Edge
Modern Warfare 2 Ltd Ed
Nier
Resident Evil 6 Steelbook
Resident Evil HD
Resident Evil Revelations
Sega MegaDrive Ultimate Collection
Silent Hill HD
SoulCalibur IV
Tekken Hybrid
Tokyo Jungle
Vanquish

Hoping to pick up these one day this year..

Aquanauts Holiday
Puyo Puyo Tetris
Arcana Heart 3 - Limited Edition
Bioshock Infinite Special Edition
Dark Souls 2
Dead Space
Dead Space 2 CE
Dead Space 3
Destiny
Dragons Crown
Hitman Absolution: Professional Edition
Lego Batman 2 lt ed
Lego Harry Potter Years 5-7 Lt Ed
Monopoly Streets
Natural Doctrine
Ni No Kuni
Resident Evil 5 Steelbook
Resident Evil 5 Gold Edition
Sly Trilogy
Short Peace Rankos Tsukigimes Longest Day
Tekken Tag tournament 2 - We are tekken
The Last of Us
The Walking Dead Game of the Year Edition

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Sat Feb 07, 2015 2:01 pm

I'm still trying to collect all of the games that I'm interested in playing. Whether they will all be keepers I'm not 100% on.

Unfortunately the bulk of the list compromises of Nippon Ichi RPG's so we're talking at least £20 upwards for each one unless I get lucky and see any in physical shops which hardly ever happens. This is the reason that I haven't been adding much to my collection recently.
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

pratty

Post by pratty » Mon Nov 30, 2015 11:49 am

Me? Pratty? A Nintendo devotee, here? In a Sony Playstation 3 collectors thread? With my reputation? Oh well...

Could anyone clear up a backwards compability 'dispute' for my friend and I? She has an old PS3 model and would love to play her PS2 games on it but insists the backwards compatability feature is a myth, a cruel urban legend. Even with my general Sony gaming ignorance I think she is wrong, I think the old 6OGB PAL model, if thats the model she has, should play her PS2 games.

So what's the deal? Which model/s will play PS2 games? Do they play them 'out of the box' or do they need an update? Is it possible the compatibilty can fail due to wear and tear while it still plays PS3 discs just fine?

Thanks.
Pratty's trade list, updated (May 2019)!
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=54823

adippm82

Post by adippm82 » Mon Nov 30, 2015 12:02 pm

My original 2007 60GB Phat system played PS2 games right out of the box, the only caution I would say is that they seem to get very hot, which is why I still use my PS2 slim for those, I think they only took out compatibility from the machine when the slim models arrived.

Why not just put a PS2 disc her machine? If it reads it then no problem

pratty

Post by pratty » Mon Nov 30, 2015 12:12 pm

adippm82 wrote:My original 2007 60GB Phat system played PS2 games right out of the box, the only caution I would say is that they seem to get very hot, which is why I still use my PS2 slim for those, I think they only took out compatibility from the machine when the slim models arrived.

Thanks for the reply. Well that's the problem, they're not reading. The two games she mentioned specifically were both actually PS1 games, FFVII and Tekken 3, but they are both on the wikipedia compatability list.

So I can only assume she doesn't have the right model PS3 then, or her disks are too scratched up. But it's safe to say that the backwards compatibility is a real thing.

Darran@Retro Gamer

Post by Darran@Retro Gamer » Mon Nov 30, 2015 12:20 pm

My English Aquanaut's Holiday cost me £70.
I love it, along with Africa, which is lovely to play, if a little clunky.

David

Post by David » Mon Nov 30, 2015 12:41 pm

looking to swap my 360 for a ps3, want to try the uncharted games.

mightbstick a wee advert on gumtree

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Mon Nov 30, 2015 1:54 pm

pratty wrote:
adippm82 wrote:My original 2007 60GB Phat system played PS2 games right out of the box, the only caution I would say is that they seem to get very hot, which is why I still use my PS2 slim for those, I think they only took out compatibility from the machine when the slim models arrived.

Thanks for the reply. Well that's the problem, they're not reading. The two games she mentioned specifically were both actually PS1 games, FFVII and Tekken 3, but they are both on the wikipedia compatability list.

So I can only assume she doesn't have the right model PS3 then, or her disks are too scratched up. But it's safe to say that the backwards compatibility is a real thing.
If its PS1 games she wants to play, it doesn't matter which model of PS3 it is, they all play PS1. Only PS2 emulation was dropped, though it was software emulation in Europe anyway, so a bit flakey. PS1 will be fine.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Mon Nov 30, 2015 2:13 pm

Yeah, PS2 BC was no real loss as far as I'm concerned due to it never being perfect. Makes more sense to just have a PS2 next to your PS3. PS1 compatibility - as has already been said - works right across all models so if those games aren't working then they are probably too scratched up perhaps.

In any case, the PS2 compatible machine is definitely only the original 60GB model. They are also the most unreliable and prone to killing themselves with the YLOD (Yellow Light of Death) issue.
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

pratty

Post by pratty » Mon Nov 30, 2015 2:39 pm

Thanks adippm82, Antiriad and Megamixer.

I knew I hadn't imagined the backwards compatibility of early PS3s. I will pass on your replies, cheers. :)

adippm82

Post by adippm82 » Mon Nov 30, 2015 5:30 pm

I must have been lucky with my PS3, it has worked flawlessly since 2007 in regular use, not only for games but blu ray films, photos and videos, it has had over 120 game discs played in it, it is the multimedia machine of my choice, absolute best console I have ever had.

I very quickly stopped playing PS2 games on it , not because they did not work well enough, but because they came out super hot, and the machine's fans would go into melt down, as has been said, much better to have a PS2 next to it.

MadManDan79

Post by MadManDan79 » Fri Dec 04, 2015 6:00 pm

I bought a BC 60gb one back in 2008 and it ran fine until a few months ago when the picture became very weird - prob heading for ylod.

Played GTA 5 on it and everything so it did well compared to a lot of them that haven't lasted long

Still got a number of games for it but they'll be played on my new 3.55 slim one once I've modded it...

retrojc

Post by retrojc » Tue Dec 08, 2015 1:26 pm

Managed to 'snag' Lego Jurassic World PS3 with mini fig, don't know why I like them soo much, but I do. So far good game, open world Lego games didn't really hook me (lotr/movie/hobbit etc).