PS3 Gaming is great, get on board yo

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

Fightersmegamix

Re: PS3 collecting

Post by Fightersmegamix » Fri Sep 19, 2014 12:50 pm

I've got about 15 games so far, slowly building up a collection. Picked up Drakengard 3 on import and the disk version of Rain when I was in Japan. Also some box editions of the' tales games', mostly looking at exclusive games as the 360 was my primary console. The PS3 has had a pretty good last few years with lots of interesting little gems released.

sscott

Post by sscott » Fri Sep 19, 2014 7:50 pm

Fightersmegamix wrote:I've got about 15 games so far, slowly building up a collection. Picked up Drakengard 3 on import and the disk version of Rain when I was in Japan. Also some box editions of the' tales games', mostly looking at exclusive games as the 360 was my primary console. The PS3 has had a pretty good last few years with lots of interesting little gems released.
Rain is a nice little quirky game, like a sort of Ico, the rain (obviously) and subtle music are very nice too.

llj

Post by llj » Fri Sep 19, 2014 8:02 pm

The time to PS3 binge collect is now, while there's a small window where collectors haven't driven up prices of certain games yet. So if there's a niche game out there you need, you want to target those first, rather than the Tomb Raiders, Dark Souls and Uncharteds that you can get anytime and won't ever rocket up to much in price down the line. I've got a lot of games I may not want to play NOW but I know myself enough that I'll evetually want to play them, like the Blazblue games or a few of the JRPGs.

On a side note: I might have erred in getting Bayonetta recently for the PS3 though, should have got it for the 360 instead.

JoeNTMY

Post by JoeNTMY » Sun Sep 21, 2014 1:23 pm

@Megamixer - You've got a nice collection of JRPGs there.

I've got around 70 PS3 games, and still counting.

Fightersmegamix

Post by Fightersmegamix » Tue Sep 23, 2014 1:22 pm

What PS3 games are going up in value then, or do we think will be collectable in future?

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Tue Sep 23, 2014 5:02 pm

Fightersmegamix wrote:What PS3 games are going up in value then, or do we think will be collectable in future?
I've said it loads of times but the quirky JRPG's by Nippon Ichi will go up in value I reckon. You only ever see a few copies at retail then never again unless you go online or get lucky in the pre-owned section. I reckon I've got about half of them (maybe) but the others I've never actually seen on shelves with my own eyes. The PS2 games from the same company are all £10+ titles with some fetching over £20 so I see no reason why the PS3 counterparts won't do the same. They are the sort of games that never actually hit the 'couple of quid' pricepoint anyway.

I'd also suggest certain 'Complete' editions of games with all the DLC on disc, especially if nobody bought them or there was little interest. I often see some about in shops that I never knew had been released because gamers tend not to make a big fuss about these versions. When DLC stops being available though, I can see these types of titles commanding more money (just like how the Xbox GOTY Morrowind is already in the £20-£30 bracket).
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

Fightersmegamix

Post by Fightersmegamix » Thu Sep 25, 2014 1:08 pm

Usually it is exclusives, titles that were reviewed unfairly or low print runs at the end of a consoles life that push prices up. Not too many games I can find that are worth much.

Finally picked up the last of us, also looking at 3D dot heroes and the smash bros clone with playstation people in.

llj

Post by llj » Fri Sep 26, 2014 9:51 pm

Fightersmegamix wrote:Usually it is exclusives, titles that were reviewed unfairly or low print runs at the end of a consoles life that push prices up. Not too many games I can find that are worth much.

Finally picked up the last of us, also looking at 3D dot heroes and the smash bros clone with playstation people in.
We're not talking about game prices as high as those SNES carts like Wild Guns or Chrono Trigger again, or rare PS1 games like Valkyrie Profile and Suikoden 2, but there's certainly plenty of titles for the PS3 or 360 that could end up like PS2/GC era titles like Gradius V, Tales of Symphonia or Fire Emblem Path of Radiance that go for higher than average prices these days, despite those titles being not especially rare, reviewed unfairly, or having a low print run. A lot of niche type games right now you can get for cheap on the PS3/360, but given 5 years when genre fans have snatched them up, the prices will go up.

It's the niche titles that usually command higher prices down the line because the marketplace for them is smaller, so there are less copies of them being pressed by their distributors. I wouldn't call something like GC Tales of Symphonia having a low print run, but it's not exactly Grand Theft Auto either. Yet the price difference between the two titles is significant from what I find. JRPGs, hardcore fighters, shmups and otaku-type games are usually the obvious games that go up in price because they are niche titles and given time those niche fans will snap most of the copies up. Compare that to the average GTA game where there are often more copies pressed than there are customers/collectors for them. Fans of niche games are more likely to keep those games too, compared to gamers who play mainstream titles like Call of Duty or Mass Effect or Halo--basically, "blockbusters". Those people are far more likely to get rid of their games when they are done with them, so those types of games are always in constant circulation. Last of Us is an example of a game that probably will always be in circulation. It's a blockbuster game.

For multiplatform games, it's probably better to consider getting them for the 360 if you own one or PLAN to own one down the line, as they are usually cheaper (for some reason collectors seem to love the Sony consoles more) and in about 80% of cases the 360 has the slightly better versions of multiplat games as many of them were developed for the 360 first and then ported to the PS3, because of how much easier it is to program for the 360.

retrojc

Post by retrojc » Sun Sep 28, 2014 6:54 pm

sscott wrote:
Fightersmegamix wrote:I've got about 15 games so far, slowly building up a collection. Picked up Drakengard 3 on import and the disk version of Rain when I was in Japan. Also some box editions of the' tales games', mostly looking at exclusive games as the 360 was my primary console. The PS3 has had a pretty good last few years with lots of interesting little gems released.
Rain is a nice little quirky game, like a sort of Ico, the rain (obviously) and subtle music are very nice too.

Whats the retail release like of Rain, does it have English or is it unnecessary? I do fancy it, but I am unsure if I should buy it or not.

retrojc

Post by retrojc » Sun Sep 28, 2014 7:02 pm

Fightersmegamix wrote:What PS3 games are going up in value then, or do we think will be collectable in future?
Honestly, it looks like games are going down in value. Some of the older inital wave of games like Wipeout Fury HD have some value, but I struggle to list many games that are holding their value well. The shmups have held their value, I don't think many shmups lose their value though. Niche games like Afrika (which I imported years ago) are worth tracking down, and again Aquanauts Holiday is a popular choice.

I hate to say it (as I and the missus play them) but Lego games have good value; and hold their value well. Especially the figure sets. I own Kingdom Hearts Limited Edition, Final fantasy X HD Limited Edition, and Dark Souls PTD Steelbook, all have held or gained value; but I wouldn't buy them if you aren't a fan as, whats the point?!

I can only really say for the games I own, or am looking to buy. Apart from Mamoru-kun wa Norowarete Shimatta! Meikai Katsugeki Wide-Han, there are no PS3 games that I think are commanding high price points.

It's worth pointing out I don't buy large collector sets, so I can't comment on their value at all.

Fightersmegamix

Post by Fightersmegamix » Sun Sep 28, 2014 9:11 pm

retrojc wrote:Whats the retail release like of Rain, does it have English or is it unnecessary? I do fancy it, but I am unsure if I should buy it or not.
It's in Japanese but I don't think you need English. If anything it's better as the English version pretty much tells you what to do in places, if you don't speak Japanese there is a little more of a puzzle element to the game. I still got all the trophies in a days play. You get a couple of postcards in the case and additional themes and a music video on the disk. It's a nice little package.

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Mon Sep 29, 2014 5:38 pm

I would also have to say that PS2/Xbox games are still at rock-bottom prices for the majority so it will be a while before mass-produced PS3/360 games begin to appreciate in value.

RPG's and CE's for popular developers such as Square Enix are safe bets for investment though like retrojc, I still wouldn't buy anything that I wasn't interested in actually playing.

Part of the skill for collectors will be picking genuine limited editions from the masses of LE's that had loads of copies produced and are worth nothing now. Nearly every game in the last gen had some sort of steelbook, pre-order bonus or 'Limited Edition' copy and the majority really is worthless. A lot of so called 'limited' versions for example will be worth no more than a standard copy because all that was 'limited' about them was a piece of paper with a DLC code on it.

Even some of the big boxsets are worthless. I'd say that Square stuff won't drop too much value due to the fanbase for their games and the same for Namco's 'Tales' games in 'Day One' guise. Add in the fact that the card boxes for some of these sets are already widely destroyed then it's easy to see that copies in good condition will command more attention in the near future.

The really valuable stuff will be 'proper' limited runs such as the Tales of Xillia set with the huge Milla Maxwell statue or the Final Fantasy XIII LE (can't remember what it's called but the box has some sort of pink-ish crystal design on it).
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

llj

Post by llj » Tue Sep 30, 2014 1:02 am

Limited Editions are nice and all, but I was talking about strictly picking up games you want to PLAY, and nothing else. If you don't care about moe pillows or whatnot and just want to play Hyperdimensional Neptunia, for instance.

I find the best way to determine value of genres is to look at PS2 games. Quick, which PS2 games fetch the highest prices that AREN'T limited editions or especially rare? I'd say probably JRPGs, shmups, and the 2D fighting games--Marvel vs Capcom 2, Capcom vs SNK 2 are two that spring to mind that go for higher than average prices, or did, until they were re-released for modern consoles. But there are a lot of games that won't get re-released. Those are the ones you'd rather get now than 10 years from now.

I'm really not into the whole collector thing, personally. I'm just thinking of all the times I wanted to kick myself because I waited too long to get a Gotcha Force for the GC, or thanked myself for picking up Path of Radiance on the GC years ago now that some are selling it for ridiculous prices.

I find it funny someone mentioned shmups for the PS3. Honestly, are there any TRULY good ones on the console? I'd always been under the impression the best shmups were on the 360.

retrojc

Post by retrojc » Tue Sep 30, 2014 10:11 am

llj wrote:Limited Editions are nice and all, but I was talking about strictly picking up games you want to PLAY, and nothing else. If you don't care about moe pillows or whatnot and just want to play Hyperdimensional Neptunia, for instance.

I find the best way to determine value of genres is to look at PS2 games. Quick, which PS2 games fetch the highest prices that AREN'T limited editions or especially rare? I'd say probably JRPGs, shmups, and the 2D fighting games--Marvel vs Capcom 2, Capcom vs SNK 2 are two that spring to mind that go for higher than average prices, or did, until they were re-released for modern consoles. But there are a lot of games that won't get re-released. Those are the ones you'd rather get now than 10 years from now.

I'm really not into the whole collector thing, personally. I'm just thinking of all the times I wanted to kick myself because I waited too long to get a Gotcha Force for the GC, or thanked myself for picking up Path of Radiance on the GC years ago now that some are selling it for ridiculous prices.

I find it funny someone mentioned shmups for the PS3. Honestly, are there any TRULY good ones on the console? I'd always been under the impression the best shmups were on the 360.
Think your missing our posts, we too are only talking about picking up games we want to play, but also what games could be rarer/worth more down the line for those whom are inclined.

Now you're already missing out publishers and developers, 505 and Konami games on PS2 have some titles that are really valuable but fall into none of your categories. The best way to determine rare games, or expensive ones is to go on ebay and sort by sold listings, at highest price first - that gives a good indication at current trends. You sometimes find something really new/unheard of.

From my count there are 4 physical PS3 shmups, and they're all pretty good. One is a cave release, one is a Moss release, and the others are G.Rev. You can get them all on 360, but I think Caladrius Blaze is an exclusive.

RodimusPrime

Post by RodimusPrime » Tue Sep 30, 2014 11:31 am

I only used my PS3 for exclusives as I much prefer the 360.

I do love the Motorstorm games other Sony exclusives. My main reason for owning one now is the fact its region free. I Do not like digital download games but have imported the likes of Darkstalkers ressurection, Strider HD, Dungeons and dragons chronicles of mystara etc.