PS3 Gaming is great, get on board yo

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

Bluce_Ree

Re: PS3 Gaming is great, get on board yo

Post by Bluce_Ree » Mon Feb 15, 2016 3:26 pm

I mostly missed out on the PS3 when it was current. Picked one up to play The Last of Us (wasn't feeling it to be honest) and Chime Super Deluxe.

I like the machine. It's a bit needy when it comes to updates though. Fave thing is all the 3D games on there. Decent.

Big Shoes

Post by Big Shoes » Mon Feb 15, 2016 4:00 pm

I just sold my PS3, I have had it about a year and never even played anything on it. Luckily I got it cheap 2nd hand. I use my PS2 and PS1 a lot though.

eeztheman

Re: PS3 Gaming is great, get on board yo and check out the g

Post by eeztheman » Tue Feb 16, 2016 11:44 pm

Rayne wrote:
eeztheman wrote:Has anyone got / played the infamous games?
I believe they were PS3 exclusives..........
I'd highly recommend all of them! They're fantastic :)
Thanks for the recommendations guys, I have been playing the first one for a good few hours and really enjoying it.........I'll deffo get infamous 2 once this has been completed.

David

Post by David » Wed Feb 17, 2016 6:18 pm

I ignored the ps3 for the longest time. Mainly cause I never really liked the ps2 apart from a couple of games

I have to say though having got one recently I am loving it.

Shops are practically giving the games away they are so cheap, it's the perfect time to own one

Pointman

Post by Pointman » Wed Feb 17, 2016 10:59 pm

I bought Ridge Racer 7 for 4 quid the other day. I had memories of owning it before but didn't recognise anything when I booted it up, I swear I used to have it though. Anyway played it for a bit and realised I preferred Ridge 6. Easy win!
Super Secret Bovine Bonus!

Flint

Post by Flint » Thu Feb 18, 2016 1:48 pm

For those late to the PS3 there are some decent triple packs around and not just for a single series of games, perhaps most notably:

Sleeping Dogs/Tomb Raider/Just Cause 2
Deus Ex/Thief/Hitman something
Tekken 5 /Tekken Tag/Soul Caliber 5

RetroMartin

Post by RetroMartin » Thu Feb 18, 2016 4:33 pm

Flint wrote:For those late to the PS3 there are some decent triple packs around and not just for a single series of games, perhaps most notably:

Id warn against thief, whilst it was enjoyable i think you have to REALLY like the series to have much fun. The first 3 were ace, this was very 'thief for the cod generation' and was incredibly linear in level design.

Is Sleeping dogs any good anybody?

PSN username - MartinPhantom

retrojc

Post by retrojc » Thu Feb 18, 2016 4:59 pm

RetroMartin wrote:
Flint wrote:For those late to the PS3 there are some decent triple packs around and not just for a single series of games, perhaps most notably:

Id warn against thief, whilst it was enjoyable i think you have to REALLY like the series to have much fun. The first 3 were ace, this was very 'thief for the cod generation' and was incredibly linear in level design.

Is Sleeping dogs any good anybody?
Fighting/combat took me some getting used too, and I didn't have much time when I started to play it, but I enjoyed what I played, hence why it's on my 'to restart pile'

djcarlos

Post by djcarlos » Thu Feb 18, 2016 5:07 pm

I played the PS4 remaster, and I loved it. Only the second game I've ever Platinum-ed, the first being Assassin's Creed II, so it's in esteemed company.

shiftytigger

Post by shiftytigger » Mon Sep 12, 2016 9:52 pm

Monkey Island on PS3 - just turned it down at £15 and wondering if I should reconsider.

That said , im in the minority having never played more than 5 mins of any lucasarts adventure.

flying_delorean81

Post by flying_delorean81 » Tue Sep 13, 2016 8:09 am

I still love my PS3, got so many great games for it I've not finished that I didn't see the point in upgrading to PS4 yet. I loved The Last of Us, am replaying the Uncharted trilogy, and keep revisiting Scott Pilgrim (amazing "new" retro scrolling beat 'em up, not sure if it's still on the Playstation Store though). The Batman Arkham games were also amazing imo.

Also the Ico/Shadow of The Colossus collection - I was so happy this came out. It tidied up the graphics and made the games affordable again! Another one in my "to finish" pile.

So yeah, plenty of incredible games on the system, and now is the perfect time to pick them up cheap :)
My Instagram: @caveofpixels
My Facebook: THE CAVE OF PIXELS
My Tumblr: THE CAVE OF PIXELS
My DeviantART page: caveofpixels.deviantart.com

Aestivius

Post by Aestivius » Thu Sep 15, 2016 6:27 am

flying_delorean81 wrote:I still love my PS3, got so many great games for it I've not finished that I didn't see the point in upgrading to PS4 yet. I loved The Last of Us, am replaying the Uncharted trilogy, and keep revisiting Scott Pilgrim (amazing "new" retro scrolling beat 'em up, not sure if it's still on the Playstation Store though). The Batman Arkham games were also amazing imo.

Also the Ico/Shadow of The Colossus collection - I was so happy this came out. It tidied up the graphics and made the games affordable again! Another one in my "to finish" pile.

So yeah, plenty of incredible games on the system, and now is the perfect time to pick them up cheap :)
I too have been playing the Ico/SotC collection. SotC might just be the finest game to ever grace the PS2, colossal in scope on every level. Pity that my PS3 is a fickle beast, should by one of those dusters since I suspect it might be all the dust that has been accrued over the years.

Have been enjoying the surprisingly good Way of the Samurai 3, which compared to most other action games on the PS3 pales in significance and what it has on offer, but for what's its worth, it is a enjoyable title. Enjoyed the first 2 games on the PS2. WotS4 is solid enough, but just too ludicrously zany for me.

flying_delorean81

Post by flying_delorean81 » Thu Sep 15, 2016 8:46 am

Aestivius wrote:Pity that my PS3 is a fickle beast, should by one of those dusters since I suspect it might be all the dust that has been accrued over the years.
My original fat PS3 died a couple of years ago - amber light of death. Luckily I was able to rescue the hard drive and transfer all my downloaded games and save data over to the replacement slim model I got. It's been going strong ever since!
My Instagram: @caveofpixels
My Facebook: THE CAVE OF PIXELS
My Tumblr: THE CAVE OF PIXELS
My DeviantART page: caveofpixels.deviantart.com

joefish

Post by joefish » Thu Sep 15, 2016 11:32 am

I was going to buy a PS4 for No Man's Sky, but by all accounts it's not worth it. I still fancy a go at Just Cause 3 though. Certainly Just Cause 2 on the PS3 is great fun if you wander off and ignore the plot missions.

There's some new cross between Zelda and Monster Hunter with robot dinosaurs I've seen that looks good. Though that could turn out cr@p as well. So I'll stick with the PS3 for the moment.

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Thu Sep 15, 2016 8:17 pm

Aestivius wrote:
flying_delorean81 wrote:I still love my PS3, got so many great games for it I've not finished that I didn't see the point in upgrading to PS4 yet. I loved The Last of Us, am replaying the Uncharted trilogy, and keep revisiting Scott Pilgrim (amazing "new" retro scrolling beat 'em up, not sure if it's still on the Playstation Store though). The Batman Arkham games were also amazing imo.

I too have been playing the Ico/SotC collection. SotC might just be the finest game to ever grace the PS2, colossal in scope on every level. Pity that my PS3 is a fickle beast, should by one of those dusters since I suspect it might be all the dust that has been accrued over the years.

Have been enjoying the surprisingly good Way of the Samurai 3, which compared to most other action games on the PS3 pales in significance and what it has on offer, but for what's its worth, it is a enjoyable title. Enjoyed the first 2 games on the PS2. WotS4 is solid enough, but just too ludicrously zany for me.
Yeah you need to keep these machines cleaned in well ventilated i.e. not blocked in with loads of other stuff that prevents heat from escaping. I've not taken my PS3 apart since owning it but I know how much sh*t gets inside consoles from stripping down PS2's - those always seem to have loads of dust in the empty HDD bays and crap inside around the vents as well.

I'm currently engrossed with Yakuza 5 on the PS3 since it was a PSN-only release for that machine (didn't come out on PS4) but I have a stack of unplayed games (most of them RPG's I've gradually collected) so I'll be using mine for years to come. I've had a PS4 for a while now but it shares a shelf with the PS3 as it is in no way a complete replacement when the libraries are so different.
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.