PS3 Gaming is great, get on board yo

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

djcarlos

Re: PS3 collecting

Post by djcarlos » Sat Dec 19, 2015 7:12 pm

Wait, there's a PS3 disc version of SA?

retrojc

Post by retrojc » Sun Dec 20, 2015 6:37 am

Cheers for your impressions there Megamixer; i've been on the fence with this one. San Andreas on Xbox was excellent, truly excellent but I don't feel the need to revisit it now, as I've not played Red Dead Redemption I think that will be my next R* purchase, probably GOTY edition.

Not much has taken my immediate PS3 interest; still after the same games I was 6 months ago. I don't have my PS3 out at the moment which makes buying games for it difficult. Did buy vanquish for £2 from Game online, and TLOU GOTY from Game for £9.99 which I was very happy with.

MadManDan79

Post by MadManDan79 » Sun Dec 20, 2015 7:29 am

I think I'll wait and watch how the PS3 version of GTA SA game goes. It'll be an interesting one to keep an eye on.

Xboxplaystation

Post by Xboxplaystation » Sun Dec 20, 2015 10:14 am

Picked up heavenly sword and Alice madness returns for £2.99 each in oxfam the other day.
I've never played either of them and Ive always wanted to play the Alice game as it looks really nice and the story seems interesting.

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Sun Jan 03, 2016 10:19 am

Mini update on the PS3 version of San Andreas: I've officially had enough now thanks to various niggling bugs. Last night for example, I found at the flight school was bugged. I thought I'd go for the complete set of gold medals to unlock the Hunter but upon cycling through the available challenges, the game consistently locked-up and froze when switching between two specific missions. No idea if this was just a coincidence but it seemed far too specific to be a coinicidence when it happened at exactly the same point either side of a console reset. The game isn't horribly broken but I think I'd rather stick with the slightly creakier PS2 version which I don't remember coming with these issues.
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

HisNHer_LP

Post by HisNHer_LP » Sun Jan 03, 2016 11:18 am

Megamixer wrote:Mini update on the PS3 version of San Andreas: I've officially had enough now thanks to various niggling bugs. Last night for example, I found at the flight school was bugged. I thought I'd go for the complete set of gold medals to unlock the Hunter but upon cycling through the available challenges, the game consistently locked-up and froze when switching between two specific missions. No idea if this was just a coincidence but it seemed far too specific to be a coinicidence when it happened at exactly the same point either side of a console reset. The game isn't horribly broken but I think I'd rather stick with the slightly creakier PS2 version which I don't remember coming with these issues.

Is there any other bugs / annoyances with it? Im split between this on the PS3 or the PS4, I have it on the PS2 but I would love to give it a run through with trophies.

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Sun Jan 03, 2016 11:30 am

HisNHer_LP wrote:
Megamixer wrote:Mini update on the PS3 version of San Andreas: I've officially had enough now thanks to various niggling bugs. Last night for example, I found at the flight school was bugged. I thought I'd go for the complete set of gold medals to unlock the Hunter but upon cycling through the available challenges, the game consistently locked-up and froze when switching between two specific missions. No idea if this was just a coincidence but it seemed far too specific to be a coinicidence when it happened at exactly the same point either side of a console reset. The game isn't horribly broken but I think I'd rather stick with the slightly creakier PS2 version which I don't remember coming with these issues.
Is there any other bugs / annoyances with it? Im split between this on the PS3 or the PS4, I have it on the PS2 but I would love to give it a run through with trophies.
Well I imagine that the flight school being bugged might stop you from achieving the 100%? I can't find mention of this on the internet but it seems odd that the same lock-up happened to me twice during the exact same moment.

You could probably do it with persistence but the whole damn game just feels so unstable with stuttering when trying to access the pause menu, the numerous bugs that I mentioned on the previous page, the random lock-ups and just general weird quirks like cars shaking under acceleration, no free camera controls for planes/helicopters etc. etc.

I read that the previous XBLA version on the 360 was actually a modified port of the iOS version! Some of the problems I have experienced in the PS3 version match the issues reported for that edition (including the freezing) so it could well be that they have simply slapped the same game onto a disc without resolving the technical gremlins.

I was initally prepared to overlook a few problems but the more and more I've played the game, the more it has annoyed me. I'm disappointed that Rockstar released the game like this but I can see why they have done so. Probably a quick, outsourced conversion put out in time for Christmas '15.

I would suggest waiting for the price to fall nearer the £10 mark just in case you experience a similar number of issues...
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

David

Post by David » Tue Feb 09, 2016 5:30 am

GAME have a load of ps3 games for under a fiver just now

Limbrooke

Post by Limbrooke » Tue Feb 09, 2016 11:37 pm

The PS3 is a great system for many reasons but an important one is region free primary software. As such, outside excessive language barriers, no game is out of reach to the informed consumer. Europe has a nice cache of exclusive (non-North America) software such as Battle Fantasia, Siren Blood Curse, and Dark Souls Prepare to Die Edition. What's also nice is outside a couple obscure games (the previously mentioned english Aquanaut's Holiday pressed copy) the library is quite affordable on all fronts.

Dark Souls PDE is interesting because it offers the prospect of permanent DLC which I suspect is thanks to the extra storage of Blu-Ray over DVD (360/Wii). When investigating a game like L.A. Noire Complete Edition on PS3 its easy to neglect the fact the 360 version has 4 discs (the original release is 3). It seems crazy to think it was even worthwhile to produce a 360 copy although in the home region being the market leader (360 install base) helps that justification. All the same, having "complete" or Game of the Year edition versions in the long run speaks to benefit over vanilla versions when the DLC is all gone and downloading/installing is no longer an option without modification (CFW).

Some titles to consider:
Oblivion Game of the Year
Fallout 3 Game of the Year
Fallout New Vegas Ultimate
Skyrim Legendary Edition
Grand Theft Auto 4 Complete Edition
Ultimate Marvel vs Capcom 3 (not all DLC is available on-disc although is applicable since its an update to MVC3:FOTW)
Dark Souls 2: Scholar of the First Sin
Biohazard 6 Special Package

Of course many of those games are available elsewhere and in superior form (PC/Windows) yet its still nice to have access to the most up-to-date console version, installation free. Then there are the DLC games released in physical form, including Aquanaut's Holiday:

The Last Guy
Strider Hiryu
Dungeons & Dragons Chronicles of Mystara
Resident Evil HD Remaster
Okami HD

All available thanks to region freedom. The main issue is missing out on DLC only wares that have been shelved (GTI Club+) or pulled (Afterburner Climax) but otherwise theres a lot out there.
'We have awakened the terrible destructor....'

retrojc

Re:

Post by retrojc » Wed Feb 10, 2016 7:19 am

Limbrooke wrote:The PS3 is a great system for many reasons but an important one is region free primary software. As such, outside excessive language barriers, no game is out of reach to the informed consumer. Europe has a nice cache of exclusive (non-North America) software such as Battle Fantasia, Siren Blood Curse, and Dark Souls Prepare to Die Edition. What's also nice is outside a couple obscure games (the previously mentioned english Aquanaut's Holiday pressed copy) the library is quite affordable on all fronts.

Dark Souls PDE is interesting because it offers the prospect of permanent DLC which I suspect is thanks to the extra storage of Blu-Ray over DVD (360/Wii). When investigating a game like L.A. Noire Complete Edition on PS3 its easy to neglect the fact the 360 version has 4 discs (the original release is 3). It seems crazy to think it was even worthwhile to produce a 360 copy although in the home region being the market leader (360 install base) helps that justification. All the same, having "complete" or Game of the Year edition versions in the long run speaks to benefit over vanilla versions when the DLC is all gone and downloading/installing is no longer an option without modification (CFW).

Some titles to consider:
Oblivion Game of the Year
Fallout 3 Game of the Year
Fallout New Vegas Ultimate
Skyrim Legendary Edition
Grand Theft Auto 4 Complete Edition
Ultimate Marvel vs Capcom 3 (not all DLC is available on-disc although is applicable since its an update to MVC3:FOTW)
Dark Souls 2: Scholar of the First Sin
Biohazard 6 Special Package

Of course many of those games are available elsewhere and in superior form (PC/Windows) yet its still nice to have access to the most up-to-date console version, installation free. Then there are the DLC games released in physical form, including Aquanaut's Holiday:

The Last Guy
Strider Hiryu
Dungeons & Dragons Chronicles of Mystara
Resident Evil HD Remaster
Okami HD

All available thanks to region freedom. The main issue is missing out on DLC only wares that have been shelved (GTI Club+) or pulled (Afterburner Climax) but otherwise theres a lot out there.
Some good calls, but have to un-recommend Fallout 3 GOTY edition for you, it's a buggy mess and well known that the game kills your save at some random point in the DLC. It's perfect on xbox 360. Other Bethesda games are good, but again they're as you've said better played elsewhere.

Aquanauts Holiday didn't have DLC tho, neither was a DLC game? Might be wrong, but don't think it's on the JP store.

The Last Guy is very good, and would be enjoyed by a lot of retro gamers; it's downloadable on PSN still I think.

retrojc

Post by retrojc » Wed Feb 10, 2016 7:21 am

Can I change this title to something less censored?

Something like

PS3 Gaming is great, get on board yo' and check out the obscure.

retrojc

Re: PS3 Gaming is great, get on board yo and check out the g

Post by retrojc » Wed Feb 10, 2016 7:22 am

Might change it back

Limbrooke

Post by Limbrooke » Wed Feb 10, 2016 12:30 pm

retrojc wrote:Some good calls, but have to un-recommend Fallout 3 GOTY edition for you, it's a buggy mess and well known that the game kills your save at some random point in the DLC. It's perfect on xbox 360. Other Bethesda games are good, but again they're as you've said better played elsewhere.

Aquanauts Holiday didn't have DLC tho, neither was a DLC game? Might be wrong, but don't think it's on the JP store.

The Last Guy is very good, and would be enjoyed by a lot of retro gamers; it's downloadable on PSN still I think.
Doing some further reading apparently the vanilla Fallout 3 has issues too. A possible remedy for either (and other Bethesda games to avoid issues) is:
-turning off auto-save
-writing new saves instead of overwriting old
-manual save frequently
-if you experience any performance issues, manually save, restart the console

As for AH, it eventually had a download option but sure enough I did gloss over the fact its essentially an import.

GT5 XL is another title where downloading extra content is no longer an option and the on disc content is still preserved.
'We have awakened the terrible destructor....'

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Wed Feb 10, 2016 12:39 pm

I would personally never purchase any of the Betheseda games on PS3 which is a shame as I like the look of a few. It's pretty disgusting that some of the big-name titles are afflicted with such crippling bugs and glitches that haven't even been remedied by the developer. It basically looks like nobody gave a crap about the PS3 versions. All those tricks and workarounds to avoid the glitches...none of them should be necessary for the player.

It is a genuine instance where I wish I had a 360 but with no space or desire to have yet another console beneath the TV, it won't be happening.

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Fri Feb 12, 2016 12:55 pm

Finally got this b****** out of the way after a loooooong time of trying to get a copy:

Can't wait to play it as I really enjoyed the 'base' game when it originally released.