100 Greatest Console Video Games: 1977-1987 -- NOW AVAILABLE

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

PaulEMoz

Re: 100 Greatest Console Video Games: 1977-1987 -- NOW AVAIL

Post by PaulEMoz » Wed Oct 22, 2014 5:28 pm

I guess it would more or less have to be given the era and the fact it features console games. I'd be interested in an eBook version though.

kiwimike

Post by kiwimike » Thu Oct 23, 2014 2:26 am

I thought judging by the consoles listed it would be concentrating on the US market, and that's cool, what I was expecting. I don't mind having books that focus around certain markets, if you balance it with books from various markets. UK publishers take the UK history approach, US ones follow their market history, and so on. You can understand that of course. :)

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Thu Oct 23, 2014 8:56 pm

That's fine, but if it's 99 NES games then it's less appealing, since I have an anti NES thing. I accept it'll be US biased, but I'd like to know what sort of range and percentage of systems forms these 100 games.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

kiwimike

Post by kiwimike » Fri Oct 24, 2014 1:22 am

Antiriad2097 wrote:That's fine, but if it's 99 NES games then it's less appealing, since I have an anti NES thing. I accept it'll be US biased, but I'd like to know what sort of range and percentage of systems forms these 100 games.
I'm not anti NES as such, but I hope it does have a fair mix across all the '80s consoles too. We'll find out in a day or two as tracking says it isn't far away :) I do hope SMS gets a few nods although I do realise it did not feature greatly in the US market.

*Dammit...tracking says it is here in the city at the depot waiting delivery...public holiday Monday so there it sits :lol:

kiwimike

Post by kiwimike » Tue Oct 28, 2014 2:00 am

Arrived today.

First impressions at a quick glance...Gorgeous. A lovely coffee table book with a nice solid attractive hardcover, lovely layout and high quality paper.

I have so many books and magazines on gaming and it's history now I get a little more selective about what I splurge for. This one although pricey is one I'm very pleased I have added to the collection. It is based on the US market, something UK gaming fans may wish to consider if they find that off putting. It personally doesn't bother me.
The pleasing thing for me is what a good mix it has within. Like others I was a little concerned it would Rave NES with token nods to others. And of course it has quite a few NES games within (and why not, some are crackers), it covers the other 80s consoles I wanted to see, the Ataris of course...VCS/5200/7800...Colecovision, Intellivision, Astrocade, Vectrex, Odyssey...and the likes of the Arcadia 2001 features which I was pleasantly surprised about, as I thought that had some good quality games (although clones).
Was also happy to see the SMS get a look in, which I was unsure if it would!
Obviously, a top 100 is subjective and there are others I would have included over some that were there, but it's personal opinion. And I love the 'next 100 honourable mentions' appendix added to the back for a bit of fun. The only thing I'd mention is although there are plenty of images and are of good quality pics, I would have liked a screenshot of every game. Most have them though.

A great book IMO and a welcome addition to the bookshelf. Happy I bought it.

Added footnote: When I get a chance later I'll count up on the contents page and let you guys know how many games feature for which consoles. At quick glance there's a good mix across the board, with Atari probably leading the way.

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Tue Oct 28, 2014 8:34 am

That does sound more well rounded than I'd expected, I may have to give this a punt.
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

kiwimike

Post by kiwimike » Wed Oct 29, 2014 2:45 am

I just did a quick count- Only very approximate as some consoles are doubled up for some titles so only a very rough guesstimate. But this gives you an idea of how many titles feature for particular consoles:
2600-25
5200-15
7800-7
ColecoV-23
Intellivision-8
Arcadia 2001-1
Astrocade-2
NES-13
SMS-3
Vectrex-5
Odyssey 2-5

Of course that totals 107...told you its a rough guide! 8)

Most are the usual suspects you would expect, with a few surprises thrown in. Of course it's the authors opinion so subjective (I would have found a place for Arcadia 2001's Jungler and featured more SMS personally), and I really like the style in which it's written, with wee quotes added throughout.

8bitgamer

Post by 8bitgamer » Thu Oct 30, 2014 1:02 pm

Darran@Retro Gamer wrote:Just had this turn up in the office. It's good but very us centric.
Yes, it is, but I hope you enjoy it anyway! US releases are definitely my area of expertise.

BTW, I'm glad to hear my publisher sent you a review copy.

kiwimike

Post by kiwimike » Fri Oct 31, 2014 7:45 am

8bitgamer wrote:
kiwimike wrote:Thanks for that, will check it out, sounds good :)
Thank you!
Congratulations on a great book. Bought it and thoroughly enjoying it. I will be flicking back to this again and again for a read in years to come :)

You'll see my thoughts and opinions in an earlier post...but I just wanted to add a quick note to say how nice it was to see a dedication to the Late Game Doc, Bill Kunkel.
Like your good self, I absolutely adored the original incarnation of the Electronic games magazine, collected as many as I could afford (freight costs made them expensive in New Zealand) and just read the things until they were literally in pieces. In Bills work within the mag you just felt his passion and knew he was a kindred spirit.
It was a lovely tribute to have the book dedicated to him. :)

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Fri Oct 31, 2014 8:12 am

I don't know Bill's work in EGM, the mag having passed me by, but I do know him from so many interviews he gave (especially those on Retrogaming Radio). His passion for gaming shone through and I sought out his books on the basis of those. He seems like the Julian Rignall of the US.

8bitgamer

Post by 8bitgamer » Fri Oct 31, 2014 8:19 am

[/quote]Congratulations on a great book. Bought it and thoroughly enjoying it. I will be flicking back to this again and again for a read in years to come :)
You'll see my thoughts and opinions in an earlier post...but I just wanted to add a quick note to say how nice it was to see a dedication to the Late Game Doc, Bill Kunkel.
Like your good self, I absolutely adored the original incarnation of the Electronic games magazine, collected as many as I could afford (freight costs made them expensive in New Zealand) and just read the things until they were literally in pieces. In Bills work within the mag you just felt his passion and knew he was a kindred spirit.
It was a lovely tribute to have the book dedicated to him. :)[/quote]

Thanks, I'm glad you are enjoying the book! And, yes, it was a privilege to dedicate the book to The Game Doctor.

Thanks for your opinions on the book--if you get a chance to post them to Amazon, that would be awesome. If not, no biggie.

Best,

Brett

8bitgamer

Post by 8bitgamer » Fri Oct 31, 2014 8:21 am

Antiriad2097 wrote:Are they aware the lack of ebook is damaging sales? An inexpensive ebook is a no brainer impulse buy, but to stump up for the hard copy I want to know exactly what Im getting, especially since the previous books have been so US biased.
I intend to keep after them, thanks for weighing in!

8bitgamer

Post by 8bitgamer » Fri Oct 31, 2014 8:23 am

kiwimike wrote:I would have found a place for Arcadia 2001's Jungler
Great choice, that was a tough one to leave out!

kiwimike

Post by kiwimike » Mon Nov 17, 2014 6:29 am

Cheers for that, will pop onto Amazon in the next few days and put a review up too. :)