What's best: Cartridge, CD-ROM...or cassette??

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

What's your favourite medium for games?

Poll ended at Wed Oct 01, 2014 4:58 pm

Cartridges
60%
CD-ROM
18%
3.5 Floppy
10%
Cassettes
12%
Printed Card (Magnavox Odyssey)
No votes

Total votes: 50

thompson9980

Re: What's best: Cartridge, CD-ROM...or cassette??

Post by thompson9980 » Wed Sep 03, 2014 3:18 am

Spector wrote:I guess the same goes for the way CD-ROM replaced cart: no way back.
:o Neo Geo CD? Tried to replace carts with CDs and pretty much failed.

Also, a good argument for carts is the handheld market. Would you have a Game Gear with a tape drive? :wink:
STUFF WANTED:
Sega 32X
Sega Megadrive, Japanese, mark 1
Sega Megadrive II

RodimusPrime

Post by RodimusPrime » Wed Sep 03, 2014 4:26 am

thompson9980 wrote:
Spector wrote:I guess the same goes for the way CD-ROM replaced cart: no way back.

Also, a good argument for carts is the handheld market. Would you have a Game Gear with a tape drive? :wink:

Thats true, CDs never actually replaced carts. There was only really one successfull CD system and that was the PS1. Saturn struggled. Sega-CD bombed, 3DO failed, as did the CD-I.

Matt_B

Post by Matt_B » Wed Sep 03, 2014 4:32 am

RodimusPrime wrote:
thompson9980 wrote:

Thats true, CDs never actually replaced carts. There was only really one successfull CD system and that was the PS1. Saturn struggled. Sega-CD bombed, 3DO failed, as did the CD-I.
PCs used CD-ROMs for a while, arguably for much of the platform's golden era.

Still, if you're going to lump all carts from 70s ROM chips to today's NAND flash into a single category, I think you can do the same with optical media. And there have been a lot of successful DVD and Blu Ray based consoles. Even the PSP used optical media, although that was probably a mistake in hindsight.

Sephiroth81

Post by Sephiroth81 » Wed Sep 03, 2014 4:34 am

RodimusPrime wrote:
thompson9980 wrote:

Carts are long dead. I think the OP probably mean't optical discs rather than "CD-ROM". Optical discs replaced cartridges as the main medium for home consoles from the PS1 era. The next gen entirely dropped them after Ninty's mistake with the N64.

Spector

Post by Spector » Wed Sep 03, 2014 4:58 am

What sephiroth said. The "CDs didn't replace carts" post was I suppose technically right, but so literal.
The Retro Gaming Discord channel. Every Sunday from 9pm- click this link:
https://discordapp.com/invite/Tphe4UH

Don't be scared: join in the chat! :)

Matt_B

Post by Matt_B » Wed Sep 03, 2014 5:04 am

thompson9980 wrote:

Actually, it could be rather neat if you could load games via a Walkman. It might take a little while for some of those 4MB cartridges though.

Spector

Post by Spector » Wed Sep 03, 2014 5:13 am

Matt_B wrote:
Actually, it could be rather neat if you could load games via a Walkman. It might take a little while for some of those 4MB cartridges though.
You could use dictaphone tapes that go in the back of the gameboy where the cart slot is. Sounds like an idea from the head of Sir Clive!
The Retro Gaming Discord channel. Every Sunday from 9pm- click this link:
https://discordapp.com/invite/Tphe4UH

Don't be scared: join in the chat! :)

thompson9980

Post by thompson9980 » Wed Sep 03, 2014 5:14 am

Matt_B wrote:
thompson9980 wrote:

I can't imagine the Game Gear batteries lasting that long!
STUFF WANTED:
Sega 32X
Sega Megadrive, Japanese, mark 1
Sega Megadrive II

stayAwhile

Post by stayAwhile » Wed Sep 03, 2014 1:26 pm

badley maintainted housing can bugger cassettes up with mold something that would wipe streight off a cd rom I have bought moldy games before not a nice sight
This guy are sick

outdated_gamer

Post by outdated_gamer » Wed Sep 03, 2014 2:03 pm

Matt_B wrote:
PCs used CD-ROMs for a while, arguably for much of the platform's golden era.
True, however PCs used to have HDDs way before consoles got them and the majority of PC gamers preferred installing the games on the HDDs to running them from the CDs (except for some FMV and music, if that). Infact the game medium is pretty much extinct these days on the PC, with the large majority of PC gamers preferring the "direct to drive" downloads via services like Stream and GOG.

Personally, I'm not that fond of not owning a physical copy of a game, that's also why I don't buy stuff of Steam or GOG and only buy 2nd hand copies if I do.

The Laird

Post by The Laird » Wed Sep 03, 2014 2:30 pm

Reading this thread today made me think of my own childhood. My first system was a Speccy and I loved it to bits, but the one thing I always hated about it was that the games took so long to load. When one of my best friends got a Master System I was so jealous of the instant loading, it was great. So I then decided that I really wanted a console for just that reason. Money was tight at the time in our household so we couldn't afford the SMS that I wanted so after some investigating we discovered the Atari 2600. It was only £40 and the games were considerably cheaper than the other consoles (this was 1989 BTW), it also had a great selection of games I remembered playing in the arcades on holiday growing up. So that Christmas I got one under the tree and before long my brother and I had over 50 games for it! We could pick up brand new games for less than a tenner and one of my local games stores sold second hand ones for a fiver, couldn't go wrong. The Spectrum stayed in the bedroom and still got a bit of play, but the 2600 under the big TV quickly became the system of choice for a while.

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Wed Sep 03, 2014 2:39 pm

Wait 3-5 minutes for a late 80s Spectrum game to load, or play a VCS?

I'll wait if it's all the same. There's no comparison.

I suppose the VCS would be handy to play while you wait for the Speccy to load, but I wouldn't want one for a main gaming system after 1983.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

nokgod

Post by nokgod » Wed Sep 03, 2014 2:42 pm

You could in fact play a console using cassette tapes. Ladies and gents i give you the APF M1000:

Using this nifty little add on, it would play cassettes:

:lol: awesome. Have the best of both worlds.....
sscott wrote:I thought Tomb Raider was the best game of last gen (and I fuck1n hate the Tomb Raider series!)

The Laird

Post by The Laird » Wed Sep 03, 2014 2:48 pm

Or this ;)

Just a bit better!

nokgod

Post by nokgod » Wed Sep 03, 2014 2:53 pm

pah! just a copycat.... :lol:
sscott wrote:I thought Tomb Raider was the best game of last gen (and I fuck1n hate the Tomb Raider series!)