What's best: Cartridge, CD-ROM...or cassette??

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

Post Reply

What's your favourite medium for games?

Poll ended at Wed Oct 01, 2014 4:58 pm

Cartridges
30
60%
CD-ROM
9
18%
3.5 Floppy
5
10%
Cassettes
6
12%
Printed Card (Magnavox Odyssey)
0
No votes
 
Total votes: 50

User avatar
Spector
Posts: 2463
Joined: Sat Jul 29, 2006 5:44 pm

Re: What's best: Cartridge, CD-ROM...or cassette??

Post by Spector » Tue Sep 02, 2014 7:18 pm

Okay fair enough. Here now is my hypothetical question:

Sega release the Megadrive in 1990. It comes with two slots for inserting game media; on the front there is a standard cart slot, and just below, there is a cassette slot. This uses C90 cassettes that play back at 4 times normal speed and can hyperload data for games. Therefore, gamers have the option of two formats to buy their games in.

John Madden 92 is on sale for £39.99 on cart. It's also on sale on cassette for £14.99, but takes 10 minutes to load.

Which version of the game would you buy?

I would buy the cassette version.
The Retro Gaming Discord channel. Every Sunday from 9pm- click this link:
https://discordapp.com/invite/Tphe4UH

Don't be scared: join in the chat! :)

User avatar
r0jaws
Posts: 1860
Joined: Fri Dec 11, 2009 3:48 pm

Re: What's best: Cartridge, CD-ROM...or cassette??

Post by r0jaws » Tue Sep 02, 2014 7:25 pm

TBH, there's no point answering your question, as you have skewed it so heavily away from carts in the first place...
I'm not asking which is technically the best- because obviously that's cartridges- but what is best in terms of from a practical and economic sense as well as desirability.
It looks like you are fishing for answers that support your own opinions.
Carts are clearly the most popular now, the poll shows that, and the chances are, for the reasons that I mentioned earlier, carts were more popular back in the day than you believe, seeing as they sold very well.
Just because the other formats provided "value for money" because they could be easily used to illegally duplicate games doesn't make them superior, just different.

User avatar
RodimusPrime
Posts: 4141
Joined: Sat May 25, 2013 12:16 pm

Re: What's best: Cartridge, CD-ROM...or cassette??

Post by RodimusPrime » Tue Sep 02, 2014 7:28 pm

Spector wrote:Okay fair enough. Here now is my hypothetical question:

Sega release the Megadrive in 1990. It comes with two slots for inserting game media; on the front there is a standard cart slot, and just below, there is a cassette slot. This uses C90 cassettes that play back at 4 times normal speed and can hyperload data for games. Therefore, gamers have the option of two formats to buy their games in.

John Madden 92 is on sale for £39.99 on cart. It's also on sale on cassette for £14.99, but takes 10 minutes to load.

Which version of the game would you buy?

I would buy the cassette version.
I would still save for the cart. Its funny because to even make the argument competitive you have to create a completely hypothetical situation. We are talking about media that actually existed at the time ( something you were quite adamant that people do ) and know you have to create some sort of super cassette format just to try and sway people.

User avatar
Spector
Posts: 2463
Joined: Sat Jul 29, 2006 5:44 pm

Re: What's best: Cartridge, CD-ROM...or cassette??

Post by Spector » Tue Sep 02, 2014 7:32 pm

r0jaws wrote:TBH, there's no point answering your question, as you have skewed it so heavily away from carts in the first place...
It looks like you are fishing for answers that support your own opinions.
Carts are clearly the most popular now, the poll shows that, and the chances are, for the reasons that I mentioned earlier, carts were more popular back in the day than you believe, seeing as they sold very well.
Just because the other formats provided "value for money" because they could be easily used to illegally duplicate games doesn't make them superior, just different.
Maybe you're right and I am doing that, I don't know. What I'm trying to do though is look at it from the point of view of someone at the time and the financial constraints that go with it, so when you say that it's a "no brainer" due to carts being cheap today, that's not really what I'm getting at. Carts are the best on paper, but the amount of green paper you needed to buy them is surely a big negative to the point of being a knockout blow. The reason I didn't get a Megadrive in 1991 is because the games cost £70-80 in today's money. To me, that makes carts a no-brainer too... but in the other direction.
The Retro Gaming Discord channel. Every Sunday from 9pm- click this link:
https://discordapp.com/invite/Tphe4UH

Don't be scared: join in the chat! :)

User avatar
r0jaws
Posts: 1860
Joined: Fri Dec 11, 2009 3:48 pm

Re: What's best: Cartridge, CD-ROM...or cassette??

Post by r0jaws » Tue Sep 02, 2014 7:39 pm

Spector wrote:....Sega release the Megadrive in 1990. It comes with two slots for inserting game media; on the front there is a standard cart slot, and just below, there is a cassette slot. This uses C90 cassettes that play back at 4 times normal speed and can hyperload data for games. Therefore, gamers have the option of two formats to buy their games in.

John Madden 92 is on sale for £39.99 on cart. It's also on sale on cassette for £14.99, but takes 10 minutes to load.

Which version of the game would you buy?

I would buy the cassette version.
In the 90's, I wouldn't buy John Madden 92, but I would probably get hold of a pirate tape copy of Streets of Rage. :wink:
Try it out, get frustrated with the drawn out loading process, and frequent, inexplicable crashes, and buy the cartridge second hand 6 months later.

User avatar
RodimusPrime
Posts: 4141
Joined: Sat May 25, 2013 12:16 pm

Re: What's best: Cartridge, CD-ROM...or cassette??

Post by RodimusPrime » Tue Sep 02, 2014 7:45 pm

Spector wrote:
r0jaws wrote:TBH, there's no point answering your question, as you have skewed it so heavily away from carts in the first place...
It looks like you are fishing for answers that support your own opinions.
Carts are clearly the most popular now, the poll shows that, and the chances are, for the reasons that I mentioned earlier, carts were more popular back in the day than you believe, seeing as they sold very well.
Just because the other formats provided "value for money" because they could be easily used to illegally duplicate games doesn't make them superior, just different.
Maybe you're right and I am doing that, I don't know. What I'm trying to do though is look at it from the point of view of someone at the time and the financial constraints that go with it, so when you say that it's a "no brainer" due to carts being cheap today, that's not really what I'm getting at. Carts are the best on paper, but the amount of green paper you needed to buy them is surely a big negative to the point of being a knockout blow. The reason I didn't get a Megadrive in 1991 is because the games cost £70-80 in today's money. To me, that makes carts a no-brainer too... but in the other direction.

All you have to do is look at sales and it is blatently obvious that despite the price, people were buying them by the bucketload.

Its obvious this thread was created to backup your own opinions rather than a desire to actually find out. From the get go you have been telling people to chose what s best, but not carts, nobody should pick carts because they are too expensive.

just look at the above " A big negative to the point of being a knockout blow " you have basically dismissed carts from the argument altogether. It begs the question " why bother asking in the first place " if you have already made your mind up and have basically told everyone that there is no point in discussing carts.

User avatar
Spector
Posts: 2463
Joined: Sat Jul 29, 2006 5:44 pm

Re: What's best: Cartridge, CD-ROM...or cassette??

Post by Spector » Tue Sep 02, 2014 7:46 pm

r0jaws wrote: In the 90's, I wouldn't buy John Madden 92, but I would probably get hold of a pirate tape copy of Streets of Rage. :wink:
Try it out, get frustrated with the drawn out loading process, and frequent, inexplicable crashes, and buy the cartridge second hand 6 months later.
You talk about the drawn out loading process, yet you admit to play it on cart you'd have to wait half a year??? :mrgreen:
Last edited by Spector on Tue Sep 02, 2014 8:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Retro Gaming Discord channel. Every Sunday from 9pm- click this link:
https://discordapp.com/invite/Tphe4UH

Don't be scared: join in the chat! :)

User avatar
RodimusPrime
Posts: 4141
Joined: Sat May 25, 2013 12:16 pm

Re: What's best: Cartridge, CD-ROM...or cassette??

Post by RodimusPrime » Tue Sep 02, 2014 7:50 pm

I can buy 5 pairs of knockoff trainers for the price of a proper pair of Adidas.

I can buy several mcdonalds for the price of a proper steak meal

My GF could have bought a couple of Dacia sanderos for the price of her Alfa romeo Mito

sometimes you just want to pay extra to get that bit better quality.

User avatar
r0jaws
Posts: 1860
Joined: Fri Dec 11, 2009 3:48 pm

Re: What's best: Cartridge, CD-ROM...or cassette??

Post by r0jaws » Tue Sep 02, 2014 7:50 pm

Actually, I frequently wait until games become unpopular, therefore cheap, and then I buy them, so 6 months is probably being optimistic.

But, even you have to admit, waiting 6 months for a game is preferable to 10 minutes of anticipation, followed by "Syntax error" and that horrid two tone border blink, before tweaking the volume a gnats c0ck and trying again.

User avatar
Spector
Posts: 2463
Joined: Sat Jul 29, 2006 5:44 pm

Re: What's best: Cartridge, CD-ROM...or cassette??

Post by Spector » Tue Sep 02, 2014 7:51 pm

RodimusPrime wrote: All you have to do is look at sales and it is blatently obvious that despite the price, people were buying them by the bucketload.

Its obvious this thread was created to backup your own opinions rather than a desire to actually find out. From the get go you have been telling people to chose what s best, but not carts, nobody should pick carts because they are too expensive.

just look at the above " A big negative to the point of being a knockout blow " you have basically dismissed carts from the argument altogether. It begs the question " why bother asking in the first place " if you have already made your mind up and have basically told everyone that there is no point in discussing carts.
Look let's not fall out over this :mrgreen: Please, let me answer more fully. I started with carts and finished with them. In the middle I used tapes, and looking back all these years later, i can say without question that the cheapness and social element of cassette made it much better, no question. If you have a cart based system, unless you're a spoilt brat, you're only going to have about ten games at most. With the 8 bits, you'd have ten times that amount. I guarantee you, waking up on christmas morning with a C64 or Spectrum waiting for you and having two C60 tapes of games ready to play is a much better experience than waking up with a megadrive and Altered Beast alone. I guarantee it! But please don't think I'm anti-carts. I have great memories of playing the Atari VCS back in 82 and so on. I just didn't play enough games on it. Christ, imagine if I had bought ET! For that kind of money, I would have jumped off a cliff!

But look, I'm having a bit of fun, let's not end up strangling each other!
The Retro Gaming Discord channel. Every Sunday from 9pm- click this link:
https://discordapp.com/invite/Tphe4UH

Don't be scared: join in the chat! :)

User avatar
Spector
Posts: 2463
Joined: Sat Jul 29, 2006 5:44 pm

Re: What's best: Cartridge, CD-ROM...or cassette??

Post by Spector » Tue Sep 02, 2014 7:56 pm

r0jaws wrote: But, even you have to admit, waiting 6 months for a game is preferable to 10 minutes of anticipation, followed by "Syntax error" and that horrid two tone border blink, before tweaking the volume a gnats c0ck and trying again.
:mrgreen: Actually chuckled at that one! Yes, it's true that there were some frustrating moments with cassette that didn't really exist with cart. It would be wrong to get too romantic about it. I would say that cassette was right for the time, but when it was gone, it was gone and there was no turning back. I guess the same goes for the way CD-ROM replaced cart: no way back.
The Retro Gaming Discord channel. Every Sunday from 9pm- click this link:
https://discordapp.com/invite/Tphe4UH

Don't be scared: join in the chat! :)

User avatar
r0jaws
Posts: 1860
Joined: Fri Dec 11, 2009 3:48 pm

Re: What's best: Cartridge, CD-ROM...or cassette??

Post by r0jaws » Tue Sep 02, 2014 8:01 pm

Cassettes were mucho cheapness, Mastertronic were ace for that sort of thing. At one point you could buy "Bargain Bin" games virtually anywhere, including corner shops, Petrol Stations and Boots.
In that respect, and combined with your mate's "backups" you could have a huge library of games quickly, and virtually everyone did. That's a given, but whether or not I preferred it at the time? I don't think so, it's just what it was. However, I do remember firing up JetPac via my Interface 2 much more frequently than virtually every other game I owned on the speccy, purely because I loved the game, it was instantly on, and it always worked.
Top banana. :)

User avatar
RodimusPrime
Posts: 4141
Joined: Sat May 25, 2013 12:16 pm

Re: What's best: Cartridge, CD-ROM...or cassette??

Post by RodimusPrime » Tue Sep 02, 2014 8:04 pm

Spector wrote:
RodimusPrime wrote: All you have to do is look at sales and it is blatently obvious that despite the price, people were buying them by the bucketload.

Its obvious this thread was created to backup your own opinions rather than a desire to actually find out. From the get go you have been telling people to chose what s best, but not carts, nobody should pick carts because they are too expensive.

just look at the above " A big negative to the point of being a knockout blow " you have basically dismissed carts from the argument altogether. It begs the question " why bother asking in the first place " if you have already made your mind up and have basically told everyone that there is no point in discussing carts.
Look let's not fall out over this :mrgreen: Please, let me answer more fully. I started with carts and finished with them. In the middle I used tapes, and looking back all these years later, i can say without question that the cheapness and social element of cassette made it much better, no question. If you have a cart based system, unless you're a spoilt brat, you're only going to have about ten games at most. With the 8 bits, you'd have ten times that amount. I guarantee you, waking up on christmas morning with a C64 or Spectrum waiting for you and having two C60 tapes of games ready to play is a much better experience than waking up with a megadrive and Altered Beast alone. I guarantee it! But please don't think I'm anti-carts. I have great memories of playing the Atari VCS back in 82 and so on. I just didn't play enough games on it. Christ, imagine if I had bought ET! For that kind of money, I would have jumped off a cliff!

But look, I'm having a bit of fun, let's not end up strangling each other!
I understand that, but you have to understand that some people have different experiences. For example one my cousin and I lived across the street from each other.

we had an Amstrad, and a spectrum between us and we had some great times. then one christmas I got the NES turtles pack + track and field 2, Robocop, Bionic commando, and mario. my cousin got a Master system with Double dragon, world soccer, Ariel assault, thunderblade, and Enduro racer.

Not much was needed after that, between us, birthdays, christmas , and playground swaps were enough to keep us going.

User avatar
crusto
Posts: 5586
Joined: Mon Feb 16, 2009 8:18 pm
Location: Birmingham

Re: What's best: Cartridge, CD-ROM...or cassette?

Post by crusto » Tue Sep 02, 2014 8:56 pm

The "quantity" argument doesn't hold sway with me tbh, the total opposite in fact. I had loads of CPC/800XL games compared to The Master System, PCE etc, so am saying this from the benefit of having been on both sides of the fence.

For me the general quality and reliability the tape format was miles beneath the superior systems, with their instant loading and far more reliable cartridge format. There was plenty to keep me busy too, and titles being expensive ensured no rash purchases were made. Plus there was always birthdays etc to look forward to as I had a decent size family. I saved my pocket money and did bits of work here and there...

So while cost could be a little prohibitive it's not like every game would cost a fortune either, I bought dragon spirit PCE for a tenner back in the day. And drunken master and vigilante weren't much more. Final match tennis was £16.99 and for me is the best tennis game ever programmed...

Cassettes are crap :P
Image

Eat your nans pants

playzooki
Posts: 267
Joined: Sun Mar 02, 2014 3:13 pm

Re: What's best: Cartridge, CD-ROM...or cassette??

Post by playzooki » Wed Sep 03, 2014 3:00 am

I would wait 20 years until they are both cheap and get the cartridge :V

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 6 guests