What's best: Cartridge, CD-ROM...or cassette??

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

What's your favourite medium for games?

Poll ended at Wed Oct 01, 2014 4:58 pm

Cartridges
60%
CD-ROM
18%
3.5 Floppy
10%
Cassettes
12%
Printed Card (Magnavox Odyssey)
No votes

Total votes: 50

Matt_B

Re: What's best: Cartridge, CD-ROM...or cassette??

Post by Matt_B » Tue Sep 02, 2014 4:35 pm

RodimusPrime wrote:
Matt_B wrote:You're still not comparing like with like though. The SNES was better than the Amiga for you because it had better games; had the latter used carts and the former floppies you'd surely still have preferred the SNES, am I right?

Indeed if you think cartridges are inherently better than tapes, why did hardly anyone buy Spectrum or C64 games on cartridge where you had the choice of both media early on? Jetpac is the same game whatever you load it from, after all; you just paid three times the price for loading it from a cartridge, and most of us were prepared to wait a minute or two to save the difference.

And I still prefer Spectrum games over NES games. Give me ten of the former over a thousand of the latter any day. I might opt for a +3 to save on the loading times though.
Thats your choice. I much prefer carts.

I am not trying to change your mind, just explaining why I prefer carts. I have had better experiences and most of the games I enjoyed most were on carts therefore I am bound to pick carts.
Games are just games to me though, it doesn't matter what media they came on. As such I tend to judge media on its own merits.

crusto

Post by crusto » Tue Sep 02, 2014 4:39 pm

RodimusPrime wrote:
Matt_B wrote:I suspect that a certain number of people are just picking their favourite as though all things were equal without taking the expense of cartridges into account.

Let's face it. If you grew up with a cartridge system, the chances are you only had a handful of games for it until late in its life when they started to be sold off cheaply. On the other hand, if you used tapes, CDs or floppies you probably had hundreds. That's the difference we're talking about.

I have totally took the price into account. Problerm is Super mario or Zelda or Probotector. Eithe one of those > 100 speccy or C64 games.

just a far better experience. The whole thing of Consoles + cartridges + control pads was a far more satisfying experience IMO.

Just like the Amiga, I had hundreds of games like Giana sisters, Superfrog, Zool, Bodyblows, etc. but comparing having dozens of those to just a handfull of Snes games ( marioworld, UN Squadron, Streetfighter II etc ) I would choose a handful of Snes games any day. It was just so much more of a satisfying time.

I have no problem with anyone choosing anything else, Its all about what you prefer. Quality over quantity for me. Especially as I soon learnt that piracy and having loads of copied games dilutes and ultimately spoils things for me. So the people using the whole " you can copy hundreds of cassettes/floppies " argument is actually a reason not to choose them for me.
100% correct mr prime.

Eat your nans pants

r0jaws

Post by r0jaws » Tue Sep 02, 2014 4:40 pm

Even back in the day, I preferred Carts because they loaded instantly and were reliable. Plus, if cost was a factor which it was, coupled with the fact you couldn't copy them, it meant that you were more likely to choose quality games, that you enjoyed, and were going to put some serious time into.
Now that carts are cheap, they still hold the advantage of instant load, and reliability, over pretty much every other format.

No brainer really. :D

RodimusPrime

Post by RodimusPrime » Tue Sep 02, 2014 4:40 pm

Matt_B wrote:
RodimusPrime wrote:
Matt_B wrote:You're still not comparing like with like though. The SNES was better than the Amiga for you because it had better games; had the latter used carts and the former floppies you'd surely still have preferred the SNES, am I right?

Indeed if you think cartridges are inherently better than tapes, why did hardly anyone buy Spectrum or C64 games on cartridge where you had the choice of both media early on? Jetpac is the same game whatever you load it from, after all; you just paid three times the price for loading it from a cartridge, and most of us were prepared to wait a minute or two to save the difference.

And I still prefer Spectrum games over NES games. Give me ten of the former over a thousand of the latter any day. I might opt for a +3 to save on the loading times though.
Thats your choice. I much prefer carts.

I am not trying to change your mind, just explaining why I prefer carts. I have had better experiences and most of the games I enjoyed most were on carts therefore I am bound to pick carts.

Games are just games to me though, it doesn't matter what media they came on. As such I tend to judge media on its own merits.
but the media games come on also dictates the way games are played.

RetroBob

Post by RetroBob » Tue Sep 02, 2014 4:51 pm

I lolled at the multi disk loading of my mate's Amiga, carts have it for me.
Xbox Live: RetroBob

adippm82

Post by adippm82 » Tue Sep 02, 2014 4:54 pm

outdated_gamer wrote:
Spector wrote:
ArchaicKoala wrote: I had a Playstation before I got an N64 and although I loved the audio clarity and the ability for a game to feature high quality FMV, I still missed the near instant loading that my N64 owning friends experienced.
Yes but would you spend £50+ to experience the privilege on the N64? To pay that kind of money fifteen or twenty years ago for a game is way too much. I heard that one N64 game cost £70! Absolutely insane!
That game was probably Donkey Kong 64 which came bundled with the (required) memory expansion. :wink:
That game was Turok Dinosaur Hunter a massive £69.99, a launch title, the cheapest of which was Pilotwings 64 at £49.99, the problem as far as I recall was the Kobe Earthquake, which along with a terrible death toll, had decimated the Japanese chip industry, as soon as these manufacturing levels were returned to normal, the prices came back down, I paid £49.99 for Donkey Kong 64, with the expansion pack, much later.

Matt_B

Post by Matt_B » Tue Sep 02, 2014 4:56 pm

RodimusPrime wrote:but the media games come on also dictates the way games are played.
In what way? About the only example I can think of is the dreaded multi-load cassette, in which case you'd definitely want the disk version, but maybe you have other things in mind?

Anyway, 99% of the time it's just a case of insert media, load game, play game. The only difference the media usually makes is how long the second step takes.

RodimusPrime

Post by RodimusPrime » Tue Sep 02, 2014 5:05 pm

Matt_B wrote:
RodimusPrime wrote:but the media games come on also dictates the way games are played.
In what way? About the only example I can think of is the dreaded multi-load cassette, in which case you'd definitely want the disk version, but maybe you have other things in mind?

Anyway, 99% of the time it's just a case of insert media, load game, play game. The only difference the media usually makes is how long the second step takes.

Massive example is streetfighter 2 on Snes and Amiga. Same game, huge difference in quality of experience.

Carts are better for me in terms of the games I like to play, and the games that came on carts. nothing wrong with cassettes, floppies, CDs etc, as I have enjoyed them all. Fact is though the thread asks us to name the format we prefer and for me that is carts.

Matt_B

Post by Matt_B » Tue Sep 02, 2014 5:11 pm

RodimusPrime wrote:Massive example is streetfighter 2 on Snes and Amiga. Same game, huge difference in quality of experience.

Carts are better for me in terms of the games I like to play, and the games that came on carts. nothing wrong with cassettes, floppies, CDs etc, as I have enjoyed them all. Fact is though the thread asks us to name the format we prefer and for me that is carts.
That's got nothing to do with carts though; that was just a terrible port.

Heck, Knight Lore for the NES is crap compared to the Spectrum version, but I wouldn't use that as an argument for the superiority of cassette tape.

RodimusPrime

Post by RodimusPrime » Tue Sep 02, 2014 5:13 pm

Matt_B wrote:
RodimusPrime wrote:Massive example is streetfighter 2 on Snes and Amiga. Same game, huge difference in quality of experience.

Heck, Knight Lore for the NES is crap compared to the Spectrum version, but I wouldn't use that as an argument for the superiority of cassette tape.

I was more talking about the horrendous multi loading that would have destroyed the experience even if it was a fantastic port. Plus the 1 button controllers.

You asked for an example in how different types of media directly dictate the way a game is played, I just gave you one. I don't want an argument.

People also seem to forget about versatility of cartridges back in the day. Battery backup, custom chips, and rather than have multi disk or multi load, you could just manufacture a cart with the required amount of memory.
Last edited by RodimusPrime on Tue Sep 02, 2014 5:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

crusto

Post by crusto » Tue Sep 02, 2014 5:16 pm

Any format which forces you to wait while it loads in next level is inferior to one which doesn't. IMO. I eventually lost count of the number of times my 800xl made me wait for what felt like 6 years only to inform me of a load error. My CPC, which was far more reliable to be fair, still had its fair share of problems.

Eat your nans pants

Matt_B

Post by Matt_B » Tue Sep 02, 2014 5:26 pm

RodimusPrime wrote:
Matt_B wrote:

I was more talking about the horrendous multi loading that would have destroyed the experience even if it was a fantastic port. Plus the 1 button controllers.
The problem for the Amiga in the 1990s was that it was still using the same disc system that the machine had launched with in 1985. If the SNES had been saddled with cartridge technology from the same period, I doubt it would have fared much better.

The state of the art in floppy discs when SFII came out would have been the 21MB Floptical, about ten times the size of the SNES SFII cartridge. Commodore had considered it for the Amiga 3000 even, but decided to save a few pennies and stick with the original although you could still buy third party drives.

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Tue Sep 02, 2014 6:10 pm

adippm82 wrote:That game was Turok Dinosaur Hunter a massive £69.99, a launch title, the cheapest of which was Pilotwings 64 at £49.99, the problem as far as I recall was the Kobe Earthquake, which along with a terrible death toll, had decimated the Japanese chip industry, as soon as these manufacturing levels were returned to normal, the prices came back down, I paid £49.99 for Donkey Kong 64, with the expansion pack, much later.
£50. For one game.

:lol: @ carts.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

Spector

Post by Spector » Tue Sep 02, 2014 7:00 pm

RodimusPrime wrote:
Matt_B wrote:

Massive example is streetfighter 2 on Snes and Amiga. Same game, huge difference in quality of experience.

What I'm asking for is the preferred format taking into account the actual time you bought it and the negatives associated with that, which would be price first and foremost. Of course instant loading is better. Of course having the game on a cartridge is better than a cassette for durability. But there is no way I would pay £50-60 just for a quicker load! Absolutely no way, because in reality what that means is that I will only get about 3 or 4 games a year at most, and that is simply not enough, even taking into account borrowing/swapping.
r0jaws wrote: Now that carts are cheap, they still hold the advantage of instant load, and reliability, over pretty much every other format.
No brainer really. :D
Again though, it's not about today. This is entirely about back then, in 1991, 1996 or whatever before ebay. Today it's a no brainer, but I'm talking about back in the days when John Madden 92 on the MD was £40 in Virgin and you spent a quarter of a year saving up for it.
The Retro Gaming Discord channel. Every Sunday from 9pm- click this link:
https://discordapp.com/invite/Tphe4UH

Don't be scared: join in the chat! :)

RodimusPrime

Post by RodimusPrime » Tue Sep 02, 2014 7:09 pm

As mentioned several times already, I have taken the price into account, and still prefer carts. Which is why I upgraded to NES as soon as I could, and only ever used an Amiga for championship manager and SWOS and much preffered to buy MD and Snes carts whenever possible.