What's best: Cartridge, CD-ROM...or cassette??

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

What's your favourite medium for games?

Poll ended at Wed Oct 01, 2014 4:58 pm

Cartridges
60%
CD-ROM
18%
3.5 Floppy
10%
Cassettes
12%
Printed Card (Magnavox Odyssey)
No votes

Total votes: 50

RodimusPrime

Re: What's best: Cartridge, CD-ROM...or cassette??

Post by RodimusPrime » Sun Sep 07, 2014 5:45 am

Look, I am bored of this. Carts have come out on top in this particular poll. I and many other people prefer carts, you don't. Fine just leave it at that.

Both have ups and downs, and no-one is going to change their mind so its pointless going back and forth. The biggest argument people have against carts is price, and despite people saying price is not an issue for them, other people inisist on going on and on about it.

Everthing was fine when everyone was happily picking their favourite and explaining why, and then people who do not like carts and got all butthurt and started crying that should not pick carts because they had not thought it through. Well sorry but we have thought it through. Its extremely condescending and shows a special touch of arrogance to actually try and tell people that there choices are wrong because they did not think it through properly ( luckily for all of us there are people on here to point this out to us )

clarance

Post by clarance » Sun Sep 07, 2014 6:03 am

Fuk me, get over yourself lad, it's just a discussion on an internet forum about how tapes and disks are better than carts. Sorry If some people have an opinion that differs from yours.

No-one is crying, no-one is bottom-hurt (although the missus does have a bad case of piles at the moment)- take one of your pills, probably.

Anyway, to cheer you up, here's a picture of a C16 cartridge

Needed a tape to save the game though...
Death may be your Santa Claus.

r0jaws

Post by r0jaws » Sun Sep 07, 2014 6:26 am

Never had a cart that got mangled up in it's mechanism and then caused me to wind it back up with a pencil though.
Or a cart that got scratched and meant I had to buy one of those repair kits that lead to a good hour or so of productive handle turning.

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Sun Sep 07, 2014 7:20 am

Nope. Carts just die and there's not a lot you could do about it except buy another, where with tape or disk you could use a backup/repair it ;)
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

RodimusPrime

Post by RodimusPrime » Sun Sep 07, 2014 7:35 am

clarance wrote:Fuk me, get over yourself lad, it's just a discussion on an internet forum about how tapes and disks are better than carts. Sorry If some people have an opinion that differs from yours.

No-one is crying, no-one is bottom-hurt (although the missus does have a bad case of piles at the moment)- take one of your pills, probably.

Anyway, to cheer you up, here's a picture of a C16 cartridge

Needed a tape to save the game though...

Oh you and others most certainly are.

" bbb...but what about the price. I know you think you like carts more, but honestly just listen to me and I will explain why I know you actually like other mediums better " " please, just pleaswe think of the price and you will see we are right "

A complete inability to accept people have taken everything into consideration and mad their own minds up.

I dont mind people having different opinions and debating why, I just hate whiny people that think that they know peoples opinions and need people to agree with them to validate their own opinions.

I like carts frar far better than any other medium. what you think I should like and whether you think I have taken everything into condsideration is irrelevant.

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Sun Sep 07, 2014 7:58 am

RodimusPrime wrote:Butt hurt whine
:lol:

Oh, the irony.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

RodimusPrime

Post by RodimusPrime » Sun Sep 07, 2014 8:17 am

Antiriad2097 wrote:
RodimusPrime wrote:Butt hurt whine
:lol:

Oh, the irony.

If you say so. I at least am happy to allow everybody to choose a format they like. everyone elses choices should be given the same level of respect.

r0jaws

Post by r0jaws » Sun Sep 07, 2014 8:38 am

Antiriad2097 wrote:Nope. Carts just die and there's not a lot you could do about it except buy another, where with tape or disk you could use a backup/repair it ;)
Did you try giving it a blow? :D

thompson9980

Post by thompson9980 » Sun Sep 07, 2014 10:22 am

Good luck finding your saved game in that!
STUFF WANTED:
Sega 32X
Sega Megadrive, Japanese, mark 1
Sega Megadrive II

Matt_B

Post by Matt_B » Sun Sep 07, 2014 10:25 am

thompson9980 wrote:Image

Good luck finding your saved game in that!
I've repaired worse. I've got ones spliced together with bits of sticky tape, even, although obviously not on the bits where there's data.

clarance

Post by clarance » Sun Sep 07, 2014 10:47 am

r0jaws wrote:Never had a cart that got mangled up in it's mechanism and then caused me to wind it back up with a pencil though.
Or a cart that got scratched and meant I had to buy one of those repair kits that lead to a good hour or so of productive handle turning.
Reeling in a cassette tape with a pencil, or even better, a BIC pen, is one of life's greatest small-pleasures - try doing that with a cartridge - so +1 to cassettes there I think.

thompson9980

Post by thompson9980 » Sun Sep 07, 2014 11:02 am

clarance wrote:Reeling in a cassette tape with a pencil, or even better, a BIC pen, is one of life's greatest small-pleasures - try doing that with a cartridge - so +1 to cassettes there I think.
:o Hang on a second. You're using one of the disadvantages of cassettes as a plus point? So, in the same light, does that mean that carts being more expensive is good or bad?

I do admit I quite liked the last few posts. I myself have fond memories of winding tape back into cassettes and trying to stick them back together. This was not always successful however. I remember Pyjamarama snuffed it at the hands (or rather, head) of my cassette player. Very upsetting.

Cartridges resolved all of this!
STUFF WANTED:
Sega 32X
Sega Megadrive II

nokgod

Post by nokgod » Sun Sep 07, 2014 11:02 am

clarance wrote: in a cassette tape with a pencil, or even better, a BIC pen, is one of life's greatest small-pleasures
Ha, yeah, i had a green bic pen i kept just for such emergencies... :lol: Dunno why it was specifically green, i think i couldn't use it at school for anything so cassette winding was its sole purpose! Now that takes me back.....
sscott wrote:I thought Tomb Raider was the best game of last gen (and I fuck1n hate the Tomb Raider series!)

clarance

Post by clarance » Sun Sep 07, 2014 11:19 am

thompson9980 wrote:
clarance wrote:Reeling in a cassette tape with a pencil, or even better, a BIC pen, is one of life's greatest small-pleasures - try doing that with a cartridge - so +1 to cassettes there I think.
:o Hang on a second. You're using one of the disadvantages of cassettes as a plus point? So, in the same light, does that mean that carts being more expensive is good or bad?

I do admit I quite liked the last few posts. I myself have fond memories of winding tape back into cassettes and trying to stick them back together. This was not always successful however. I remember Pyjamarama snuffed it at the hands (or rather, head) of my cassette player. Very upsetting.

Cartridges resolved all of this!

Carts are dull soulless entities, having no grace, excitement or idiosyncrasies - cassettes on the other hand are almost living, breathing beasts - how many cartridges do you have with a little x scrawled on one side to indicate "better not try loading me on this side old chap", how many carts have you got that make a nice rattly noise when you give them a friendly shake, how many cartridges make a lovely whining noise during operation after you've shove them thoughtlessly into their cold unforgiving slot - indeed, the cassette tape has to be gently caressed into it's housing, it's player's lid having to be carefully manipulated into it's closed position before even any contemplation of the firm pressing of the play button can be entered into. Also, auto-stop, yes.

And don't even get me started on the pure ecstasy that is pressing the play and record button together.

Cartridges? Pffft...

thompson9980

Post by thompson9980 » Sun Sep 07, 2014 11:30 am

We're getting an insight into how you like to spend your Sunday afternoons :lol:
I'll have enjoyed many of my old favourite cart based games by the time you've reholstered your BIC pen and loaded Herberts Dummy Run.

Also I think fate is against you. That was your 2600 post!
STUFF WANTED:
Sega 32X
Sega Megadrive II