New 3DS models announced

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

outdated_gamer

Re: New 3DS models announced

Post by outdated_gamer » Sat Aug 30, 2014 4:42 pm

ncf1 wrote:Anyone have both a 3DS and a PS Vita? Would you consider the Vita better, or in line with the 3DS? I'm thinking of my next purchase. Is the feel similar to the 3DS? Software range decent?
Technically, the Vita is better than 3DS - larger, higher resolution screen, two analog sticks, better GPU and CPU, more RAM, touch screen and touch behind, ect. Even the battery life is comparable, considering the 3-D effect on the 3DS shortens battery life. Games are a matter of taste though. 3DS has some excellent, Nintendo-centric games and franchises whereas Vita has some more "niche" ones, for example the excellent Tearaway, Soul Sacrifice, Gravity Rush, ect. Ironically enough, the Vita still hasn't gotten it's own, exclusive Gran Turismo, God of War, GTA or MGS title and it seems Sony isn't really bothered about it either. So the system just goes "under the radar" of most gamers or as an afterthought, since it lacks such popular titles which could turn the tide. Only other reason for it's commercial underperformance would be the smartphones and mobile platforms eating into the handheld market. But I think if you're really into handheld gaming, you might want to have both systems since they are both different enough to offer something for every taste.

ncf1

Post by ncf1 » Sat Aug 30, 2014 5:01 pm

^^ great stuff , thanks Mr gamer. I do think I will get one, looking forward to it. As I mentioned, I love the feel of the 3DS, just Nintendo games.. I don't know. Perhaps I would find the PS range preferable, I get the feeling this is the case.

Thanks again.

RetroAerosmith

Post by RetroAerosmith » Sun Aug 31, 2014 3:55 am

You can also play your ps4 titles on your vita via cross play and it works really well....well most games as the vita has 2 shoulder buttons where a controller has 4 so buttons that utilise these have to be implemented on the back touch panel which is fiddly..
But along with the psn+ and regular sales its a better value purchase in the long run i think.

Be aware that newer vita consoles have an inferior looking screen than the model one releases.

samhain81

Post by samhain81 » Sun Aug 31, 2014 6:41 am

Colour me trivial (no pun intended) but I'm more disappointed than anything with the issue that the new XL model won't come with the full coloured buttons, like the smaller model. How hard would it have been to have both options ?

32Bitter

Post by 32Bitter » Sun Aug 31, 2014 8:36 am

samhain81 wrote:Colour me trivial (no pun intended) but I'm more disappointed than anything with the issue that the new XL model won't come with the full coloured buttons, like the smaller model. How hard would it have been to have both options ?
Maybe if the new XL came in white it would have colored buttons?
Don't think!....Feel!.

ShadowMan

Post by ShadowMan » Sun Aug 31, 2014 9:44 am

outdated_gamer wrote:
ncf1 wrote:Anyone have both a 3DS and a PS Vita? Would you consider the Vita better, or in line with the 3DS? I'm thinking of my next purchase. Is the feel similar to the 3DS? Software range decent?
Technically, the Vita is better than 3DS - larger, higher resolution screen, two analog sticks, better GPU and CPU, more RAM, touch screen and touch behind, ect. Even the battery life is comparable, considering the 3-D effect on the 3DS shortens battery life. Games are a matter of taste though. 3DS has some excellent, Nintendo-centric games and franchises whereas Vita has some more "niche" ones, for example the excellent Tearaway, Soul Sacrifice, Gravity Rush, ect. Ironically enough, the Vita still hasn't gotten it's own, exclusive Gran Turismo, God of War, GTA or MGS title and it seems Sony isn't really bothered about it either. So the system just goes "under the radar" of most gamers or as an afterthought, since it lacks such popular titles which could turn the tide. Only other reason for it's commercial underperformance would be the smartphones and mobile platforms eating into the handheld market. But I think if you're really into handheld gaming, you might want to have both systems since they are both different enough to offer something for every taste.
I agree with this. I like my 3DS for all the Nintendo games and Phoenix Wright. I like my Vita for indie titles and the odd games that mainly come out of Japan. I tend to play my Vita much more but it does lack killer apps (Terraway is still my favourite, but that is making the jump to the PS4 in an awesome looking semi port). I've found its great having both!
My Complete Megaman/Rockman collection: http://retrogamer.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=26485 *Updated 22/05/2011*

batman877

Post by batman877 » Sun Aug 31, 2014 10:48 am

Darran@Retro Gamer wrote:It's going to have to have some amazing exclusives to force people to upgrade.
Surely these exclusive titles will have circle pad pro compatibility for use on older models? Although obviously this wouldn't work for the 2DS.

The circle pad pro XL is excellent, but apart from Resident Evil Revelations, Monster Hunter and Nano Assault EX it's fairly redundant at the moment.

ALK

Post by ALK » Sun Aug 31, 2014 12:40 pm

Apparently something to do with the slightly upgraded Specs like the CPU that make the exclusive New 3DS games "not possible" on older models, not just because it uses the c stick or whatever you want to call it.

Heck, I wouldnt be surprised if New 3DS games had a different shaped card like how 3ds cards are to old DS cards to keep them out of DS consoles... :lol:
3DS FC= 0301-9774-9044

PM me if you add me.

Matt_B

Post by Matt_B » Sun Aug 31, 2014 2:03 pm

I'd suspect that we'll just a few games that really need the new hardware, while most remain backwards compatible, much like the situation was with the DSi.

After all, nobody really wants to be cutting out 45 million users of a platform that's barely three years old if they can at all help it.

Grizzly

Post by Grizzly » Sun Aug 31, 2014 5:32 pm

batman877 wrote:
Darran@Retro Gamer wrote:It's going to have to have some amazing exclusives to force people to upgrade.
Surely these exclusive titles will have circle pad pro compatibility for use on older models? Although obviously this wouldn't work for the 2DS.

The circle pad pro XL is excellent, but apart from Resident Evil Revelations, Monster Hunter and Nano Assault EX it's fairly redundant at the moment.
The older models won't play the exclusives (well just xenoblade ATM) due to the increased CPU power, which is a damned shame. Luckily devs are lazy and completely ignore the new 3DS, only electing to go for the higher install base. Unless they are Nintendo or Ubisoft.
I write for...
Check us out for news, reviews and features on the blackest of consoles.Image

ALK

Post by ALK » Sun Aug 31, 2014 6:18 pm

Matt_B wrote:I'd suspect that we'll just a few games that really need the new hardware, while most remain backwards compatible, much like the situation was with the DSi.
Yeah, though I'd imagine the exclusive range will be slightly better. Already the promise of Xenoblade blows every exclusive DSi game, bar DSiWare, out of the water. Only exclusive DSi retail game I have is that Face Training. :lol:
3DS FC= 0301-9774-9044

PM me if you add me.

slacey1070

Post by slacey1070 » Mon Sep 01, 2014 2:47 am

The fact that any downloaded titles are tied to the machine, rather than the account, kills any chance of me buying the new model!
Owned: Vic 20, C64, Amiga, PC, SNES, Dreamcast, PS2, Gameboy, Gameboy Colour, DS, Xbox360, PSP 2000, Wii, 3DSXL, GameCube, N64, JXD S7800.

“I ain't got a problem with your anger, hope you get around to having fun" Hugh Cornwell.

Matt_B

Post by Matt_B » Mon Sep 01, 2014 3:04 am

ALK wrote:
Matt_B wrote:I'd suspect that we'll just a few games that really need the new hardware, while most remain backwards compatible, much like the situation was with the DSi.
Yeah, though I'd imagine the exclusive range will be slightly better. Already the promise of Xenoblade blows every exclusive DSi game, bar DSiWare, out of the water. Only exclusive DSi retail game I have is that Face Training. :lol:
I'd think that games for the new 3DS will mostly just be ports. If it can manage Xenoblade, it could probably also do a good chunk of other Wii games, although some might need a bit of a re-think in terms of how they use the motion controls. Depending on the specs, which as usual Nintendo aren't going to tell anyone, it might open the door a bit for more Android, iOS and Vita port too; still, I doubt that the third party publishers will be chomping at the bit to do this.

RetroBob

Post by RetroBob » Mon Sep 01, 2014 1:00 pm

slacey1070 wrote:The fact that any downloaded titles are tied to the machine, rather than the account, kills any chance of me buying the new model!
Can't you do system transfer?
Xbox Live: RetroBob

ALK

Post by ALK » Mon Sep 01, 2014 4:52 pm

Think he means if your 3DS is buggered, then bye bye games.

Apparently you can do system transfer from old to new model, but you won't be able to transfer from new to old models.
3DS FC= 0301-9774-9044

PM me if you add me.