New 3DS models announced

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

ArchaicKoala

New 3DS models announced

Post by ArchaicKoala » Fri Aug 29, 2014 7:40 am

So during the Japanese Nintendo direct that just aired, a new model of the 3DS was announced.

Here is the full article courtesy of Nintendolife:
http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2014/0 ... _announced

This certainly took me by surprise as I've not heard a single rumour regarding a redesign but hey ho this has happened.

For those that can't be bothered to click the link here is a quick run down of the features:
- NFC support
- Second mini circle pad (pretty much a built in circle pad pro)
- Head tracking for improved 3D view mode
- Micro SD instead of a full size SD
- possible CPU upgrade?
Last edited by ArchaicKoala on Fri Aug 29, 2014 7:51 am, edited 2 times in total.

killbot

Re: New 3DS models announced

Post by killbot » Fri Aug 29, 2014 7:43 am

It's interesting that they've added a second analogue stick. My concern would be that any games which utilise it would only be compatible with the new hardware.

You can buy my book here: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Wolfshead-ebook ... =wolfshead

NES, SNES, N64, GC, Wii, Wii U, GB, GBC, GBA SP, DS Lite, 3DS, MS, MD, Saturn, DC, GG, Xbox, 360

ArchaicKoala

Post by ArchaicKoala » Fri Aug 29, 2014 7:49 am

killbot wrote:It's interesting that they've added a second analogue stick. My concern would be that any games which utilise it would only be compatible with the new hardware.
That was my initial concern but I guess that legacy 3DS users will just have to buy a circle pad pro attachment.

To me this system seems like it will be what the DSi was to the DS Phat/Lite. Although some games will use the features of the new model it won't render the old model irrelevant and force people to upgrade

Matt_B

Post by Matt_B » Fri Aug 29, 2014 8:18 am

ArchaicKoala wrote:
killbot wrote:It's interesting that they've added a second analogue stick. My concern would be that any games which utilise it would only be compatible with the new hardware.
That was my initial concern but I guess that legacy 3DS users will just have to buy a circle pad pro attachment.

To me this system seems like it will be what the DSi was to the DS Phat/Lite. Although some games will use the features of the new model it won't render the old model irrelevant and force people to upgrade
Yes, I'd be very surprised if we see more than a handful of games that need the second pad. Quite possibly there won't even be any, although there might be a few more that can use it than is currently the case the Circle Pad Pro.

Anyway, with this in the offing, I think I'll be passing on that Super Smash Bros limited edition now, so they've lost a sale there. :lol:

ShadowMan

Post by ShadowMan » Fri Aug 29, 2014 8:25 am

I was all ready to buy one but after seeing the look of the second analogue stick I think I'm going to have to try one before I buy it. It just doesn't look that comfortable to play at all, but otherwise I like the sound of it.
My Complete Megaman/Rockman collection: http://retrogamer.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=26485 *Updated 22/05/2011*

Morkin

Post by Morkin » Fri Aug 29, 2014 8:27 am

A mini circle pad? Surely that'll be difficult to use for most people.

Darran@Retro Gamer

Post by Darran@Retro Gamer » Fri Aug 29, 2014 8:35 am

It's going to have to have some amazing exclusives to force people to upgrade.

Matt_B

Post by Matt_B » Fri Aug 29, 2014 9:52 am

Darran@Retro Gamer wrote:It's going to have to have some amazing exclusives to force people to upgrade.
It's getting a port of Xenoblade, apparently; is that amazing enough?

Slick2097

Post by Slick2097 » Fri Aug 29, 2014 10:23 am

There are two new buttons on the top of the console as well as the new mini thumbnub thing, next to the normal shoulder buttons.

I'm glad they've moved the volume control, the amount of times i've whacked it to full blast accidentally when picking it up :oops:

Ste.
--
Born from an egg on a mountain top.
RetroPassion - Why not :) ?

3DS FC: 4914 - 4863 - 2799

ALK

Post by ALK » Fri Aug 29, 2014 11:00 am

This is pretty much the trend for Nintendo now as they've released a new model of DS/3DS every year since the DSi so it really does not surprise me. Just means 2 more hardware mouths to feed the collector inside me. XD

But man, the movement of various buttons and slots is sure going to confuse everyone.
3DS FC= 0301-9774-9044

PM me if you add me.

merman

Post by merman » Sat Aug 30, 2014 7:36 am

I was going to buy an XL, now I will wait for this new model to be available over here.
merman1974 on Steam, Xbox Live, Twitter and YouTube

Grizzly

Post by Grizzly » Sat Aug 30, 2014 1:52 pm

Xenoblade Chronicles (Wii port) is exclusive to it. Might take the plunge depending on price of the XL when it launches.
I write for...
Check us out for news, reviews and features on the blackest of consoles.Image

ncf1

Post by ncf1 » Sat Aug 30, 2014 3:23 pm

for me its exactly what Darran said, its got to have some amazing exclusives as an enticement. Really, really amazing ones. I have a 3DS and been through a bunch of games yet only Super Mario seems to appeal to me.. and, well, maybe its just me but I haven't been overly pleased with the range of 3DS games.

I do love the feel and play of the 3DS though so I am glad to hear they aren't giving up and they are trying new things.

outdated_gamer

Post by outdated_gamer » Sat Aug 30, 2014 4:02 pm

That analog stick (or nub) looks tiny. Not sure if that will be comfortable to use. I already had an issue with the small C-stick on the NGC pad and I've heard criticisms of PS Vita that it has too small sticks. As far as improved specs are concerned, I think that's cool, but at the same time can divide the user base. Personally, I think a better (faster) GPU and higher screen resolution would be nice to have. I haven't actually seen a XL from up close but I can imagine the default screen resolution of 400x200 pixels or around that probably looks stretched on the bigger XL screen. So double the res or atleast something like 640x360 pixels would surely help here. Devs could then decide whether they want to go for higher resolution or the 3-D effect. Just my opinion.

ncf1

Post by ncf1 » Sat Aug 30, 2014 4:14 pm

Anyone have both a 3DS and a PS Vita? Would you consider the Vita better, or in line with the 3DS? I'm thinking of my next purchase. Is the feel similar to the 3DS? Software range decent?