Blots on the gaming landscape.

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

noobish hat

Re: Blots on the gaming landscape.

Post by noobish hat » Sun Aug 24, 2014 12:30 pm

Woah, don't dismiss ALL the 3D stuff. Monkey Ball is great, for a start. Although having said that, if you're playing them on a tv, yeah, there's not much reason to play the GBA versions of Monkey Ball, Duke Nukem, V Rally etc. I can't abide the Game Boy Player though because it ruins the whole experience by having the Z-button icon on the screen the entire bloody time. It is a shame, like you said, that there's no perfect official GBA device. I'm mostly using my DS Lite at the moment, purely for the screen. I'm hoping soon to buy an original GBA modified with the AGS101 screen, which theoretically should bring all the best elements together: a bright backlight, a large screen, a comfortable form factor, and nostalgia.

noobish hat

Post by noobish hat » Sun Aug 24, 2014 12:34 pm

As for the Micro, I do like it, it's just that I often feel like I'm doing the games a disservice by playing them on such a small screen (even if it is nice and bright/vivid). It's like watching an Oscar-winning movie on your phone. They're meant to be on a small screen, but not THAT small. I find it more comfortable than the SP though, and wow, it has a headphone jack. The best thing about it though is that it's the only handheld ever to be small enough to fit comfortably in your pocket (of course I daren't do that with my Famicom model for fear of scratching it - I need a cheap 'outside' model).

RodimusPrime

Post by RodimusPrime » Sun Aug 24, 2014 2:11 pm

noobish hat wrote:Woah, don't dismiss ALL the 3D stuff. Monkey Ball is great, for a start. Although having said that, if you're playing them on a tv, yeah, there's not much reason to play the GBA versions of Monkey Ball, Duke Nukem, V Rally etc. I can't abide the Game Boy Player though because it ruins the whole experience by having the Z-button icon on the screen the entire bloody time. It is a shame, like you said, that there's no perfect official GBA device. I'm mostly using my DS Lite at the moment, purely for the screen. I'm hoping soon to buy an original GBA modified with the AGS101 screen, which theoretically should bring all the best elements together: a bright backlight, a large screen, a comfortable form factor, and nostalgia.
I started using the Retron 5, looks really nice and crisp and being able to use a Snes pad is great.

outdated_gamer

Post by outdated_gamer » Sun Aug 24, 2014 4:21 pm

Well I guess the world would keep spinning would the Virtual Boy and 32X not get released...

But even with these systems I can see some progressive/innovative thought like virtual reality at an average consumer level and hardware upgrades to extend the life of an ageing platform. And then you have systems like the Halcyon, CD-I, CD32, 3DO, Jaguar, Pin Pin, n-Gage, ect. which all did something interesting but not enough to succeed.

I think one of the positives of the more computer-style systems is that they had functionality outside of gaming so even if they weren't that good as entertainment systems they could still do things that mattered. That's basically how IBM compatibles established themselves, as a "work tool" rather than a "toy". With video game consoles, the primary function is expected to be video gaming and if a system is bad at it, it won't be saved no matter how many features it has. The pricing and advertising plays a fundamental role here too, as well as the "it" factor, like for example the Wii controller was for the Wii. Granted, that system would have bombed pretty badly in sales would it not have the "it" factor. Which is not to say it was a bad system, simply that it targeted a bit different audience to your average "gaming geeks".

outdated_gamer

Post by outdated_gamer » Sun Aug 24, 2014 4:27 pm

The Laird wrote:Strange to see the 2600 mentioned by a couple of people, very weird indeed given it's place in history.

But I see a couple of people have mentioned it's successor the 5200, now that was a really poor idea and IMO Atari's biggest mistake. Lets make a obscenely huge console based on a 3 year old home computer that, although it uses almost identical technology, isn't compatible and has terrible non-centering joysticks that break when you look at them. It has some nice games but nothing you can't already play on an A8 so that also renders it completely pointless. The XEGS was the 5200 done right but what Atari really should have done is had a machine like 7800 a lot earlier.
I think the idea behind the 5200 was to counter the competition with increased specs whilst not damaging the 2600 sales which was still popular. I agree the XE GS is basically what the 5200 could have already been. Gotta give it to 5200 for pioneering the four controller ports and analog stick though.

clarance

Post by clarance » Sun Aug 24, 2014 6:09 pm

Another shout for the Commodore Plus/4 here, really the most pointless Commodore of them all, and there's stiff competition from the Commodore 128, the Amiga 500+, the Amiga 600, the Commodore 16, the CD32, the C64GS, the SX-64...

Moo0ving on from Commodore... the GameBoy Color and the Gameboy Advance - purely for the lack of backlight - the original Gameboy just about gets away with it with its basic no frills monochrome design, but to sell systems as advanced colour units and design them so that you cant see the colours.. well...

Oh and can I say SAM Coupe, cool as it is now, totally pointless back then :(

And of course, anything Atari post 2600...
Death may be your Santa Claus.

RodimusPrime

Post by RodimusPrime » Sun Aug 24, 2014 6:34 pm

Some of these suggestions are just Silly in all honesty. All people are doing is listing reasons they do not like consoles. The question was what could gaming have done without. To mention the GBA is silly. Now I have problems with the actual GBA line up consoles, but people are forgetting that removing the console from gaming history removes the games as well.

To suggest that gaming would have been better offf without some of the classics that came out on the GBA is completely absurd. Even worse is to suggets ( A console I dislike by the way ) the 2600 is quite frankly bordering on insane.

Fact is, if any console brought enjoyment to thousands of peoples lives then it was worth it being around.

nokgod

Post by nokgod » Sun Aug 24, 2014 6:45 pm

I don't think the vitriol about the GBA was aimed at the complete lineup...just various incarnations of it. Personally, i think the SP is class...but then i use a backlit AGA-101 and i could never go back to a frontlit or unlit screen. That's not snobbery...its just a basic fact that the screen is frickin' awesome! :D

Also, i don't have any issues using the SP for long periods due to its design either, so its horses for courses. :) I have a few micros and although its lovely i do agree its just too small for anything other than a bit of convenience gaming.

As for useless consoles, this would get my vote:

The Acetronic...a rubbish controller coupled with crappy games. Not a good mix.
sscott wrote:I thought Tomb Raider was the best game of last gen (and I fuck1n hate the Tomb Raider series!)

RodimusPrime

Post by RodimusPrime » Sun Aug 24, 2014 7:27 pm

nokgod wrote:I don't think the vitriol about the GBA was aimed at the complete lineup...just various incarnations of it. Personally, i think the SP is class...but then i use a backlit AGA-101 and i could never go back to a frontlit or unlit screen. That's not snobbery...its just a basic fact that the screen is frickin' awesome! :D

Also, i don't have any issues using the SP for long periods due to its design either, so its horses for courses. :) I have a few micros and although its lovely i do agree its just too small for anything other than a bit of convenience gaming.

As for useless consoles, this would get my vote:

The Acetronic...a rubbish controller coupled with crappy games. Not a good mix.

I understand that, its just that the question was what console could gaming have done without. now no matter what you dislike about it, its surely a console that gaming is better off for having.

nokgod

Post by nokgod » Sun Aug 24, 2014 7:54 pm

Yeah, i was skim reading.

I maintain that the Acetronic is a prime contender for the BOTGL title.
sscott wrote:I thought Tomb Raider was the best game of last gen (and I fuck1n hate the Tomb Raider series!)

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Sun Aug 24, 2014 8:05 pm

Anything like the CD32, 32X, GX4000, C64GS etc. Unnecessary 'developments'/add-ons that nobody wanted, asked for or bought in big enough numbers. I would nominate these kinds of systems because they arguably damaged their respective creators and wasted untold amounts of money.

I suppose you could lump the Mega CD in there too as while it wasn't a complete failure at all, the project must have consumed a hell of a lot of Sega's valuable money. It's a good job that the system has many unique and decent games but gaming would still have continued without it.

Consoles like the 3DO and Cd-i could also be considered but you look at how multimedia has come into it's own in recent hardware cycles and you could argue that they were forward thinking machines crippled by poor execution, doomed business plans or simply being too far ahead of their time. It's interesting to wonder if consoles such as the original Playstation would have turned out much differently if these early CD-based machines had never happened.
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

Misery

Post by Misery » Sun Aug 24, 2014 10:28 pm

The N-Gage.

I dunno how it is where most of you guys are, but around here, there were few systems that hit total infamy as fast as THAT thing did. That thing went all sorts of wrong, and did it VERY LOUDLY. It didnt exactly have a silent launch, yet it died with a sad little fart noise.

Also, the Tiger Game.com.

The Laird

Post by The Laird » Sun Aug 24, 2014 10:35 pm

outdated_gamer wrote:
The Laird wrote:Strange to see the 2600 mentioned by a couple of people, very weird indeed given it's place in history.

But I see a couple of people have mentioned it's successor the 5200, now that was a really poor idea and IMO Atari's biggest mistake. Lets make a obscenely huge console based on a 3 year old home computer that, although it uses almost identical technology, isn't compatible and has terrible non-centering joysticks that break when you look at them. It has some nice games but nothing you can't already play on an A8 so that also renders it completely pointless. The XEGS was the 5200 done right but what Atari really should have done is had a machine like 7800 a lot earlier.
I think the idea behind the 5200 was to counter the competition with increased specs whilst not damaging the 2600 sales which was still popular. I agree the XE GS is basically what the 5200 could have already been. Gotta give it to 5200 for pioneering the four controller ports and analog stick though.
Only 5200 wasn't the first system to have analogue sticks or 4 joystick ports. Both had already been done several years previous.

gman72

Post by gman72 » Sun Aug 24, 2014 11:34 pm

RodimusPrime wrote:Some of these suggestions are just Silly in all honesty. All people are doing is listing reasons they do not like consoles. The question was what could gaming have done without. To mention the GBA is silly. Now I have problems with the actual GBA line up consoles, but people are forgetting that removing the console from gaming history removes the games as well.

To suggest that gaming would have been better offf without some of the classics that came out on the GBA is completely absurd. Even worse is to suggets ( A console I dislike by the way ) the 2600 is quite frankly bordering on insane.

Fact is, if any console brought enjoyment to thousands of peoples lives then it was worth it being around.
mmmm... ok. Maybe i've let personal feelings cloud my decision. I dont like Atari or much of their 8 bit work but the stuff does have its place in gaming history good or bad, so with that in mind I shall change my vote to the MSX. Some great games dont get me wrong... but the whole computer just feels out of place some how... its hard to put my finger on it. Loads of great and more significant stuff happening all around the MSX makes it seem strangely irrelivant despite some big ticket games. Some may argue that without the MSX there may hve been no Xbox brand but I expect Microsoft would have gotten involved console-wise eventually anyway
“To gain your own voice, you have to forget about having it heard.” —Allen Ginsberg, WD

adippm82

Post by adippm82 » Mon Aug 25, 2014 12:22 am

RodimusPrime wrote:Some of these suggestions are just Silly in all honesty. All people are doing is listing reasons they do not like consoles. The question was what could gaming have done without. To mention the GBA is silly. Now I have problems with the actual GBA line up consoles, but people are forgetting that removing the console from gaming history removes the games as well.

To suggest that gaming would have been better off without some of the classics that came out on the GBA is completely absurd. Even worse is to suggets ( A console I dislike by the way ) the 2600 is quite frankly bordering on insane.

Totally agree with this, and I would also remove the Jaguar, from the list, a gaming world without Tempest 2000, A v P, Iron Soldier 1+2, Rayman, Skyhammer and Battlemorph would be worse off IMO, and without the C16/Plus 4, Kickstart and Trailblazer to name but two would probably not exist as they originated on the 264 series.