Blots on the gaming landscape.

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

crusto

Blots on the gaming landscape.

Post by crusto » Sat Aug 23, 2014 6:04 pm

I can't think of a better title for this thread, basically what I want to know is what system do you personally think the world could have done without back in the day? Reasons why too please, if you don't mind. Throw in a modern day one too if you like...

Mine:

Amstrad CPC - I was an unfortunate owner of one of these back in the day. And had to endure plenty of chronic, rushed arcade conversions along with a generally lower quality of game compared to the speccy and C64. It wasn't all bad, but still, I would have had the C64 if this wasn't about.

Eat your nans pants

Negative Creep

Re: Blots on the gaming landscape.

Post by Negative Creep » Sat Aug 23, 2014 6:12 pm

I'm not sure I could list any, as even the biggest failures are interesting in their own way. In terms of being utterly useless I'd have to say the Game.com, but it's still a curious footnote in gaming histor

r0jaws

Post by r0jaws » Sat Aug 23, 2014 6:57 pm

Atari 2600, I just hate the machine. I find the games boring and ugly and the controller is just awful. I know it had "historical" significance (probably), but TBH I can live without the Woody in my life with no problem whatsoever.

HalcyonDaze00

Post by HalcyonDaze00 » Sat Aug 23, 2014 7:03 pm

atari jaguar, it's truly awful. games are garbage, controller is a disgrace, an epic fail in every sense. the gaming world could have definitely done without this monstrosity.

PostieDoc

Post by PostieDoc » Sun Aug 24, 2014 2:15 am

The Commodore Plus/4, even though I still own one today and love it for being my first home computer.

The reason why is that when I saw it on sale in Clements with the boasts of having 64k of memory, I assumed that it would be compatible with C64 software wise.
So you can imagine my crushing disappointment when I found out it relied on the C16 for most of its games.
Luckily my brother bought his first Speccy soon after so I didn't miss out on all the great games.

RodimusPrime

Post by RodimusPrime » Sun Aug 24, 2014 5:50 am

None, all consoles, even the failed ones add history to the games industry and most have really interesting histories and backstories. Like any other area of interest its usually the failurs that are more interesting to find out about.

Plus a lot of people who got into the industry with these failed projects will have moved on and applied good things they would have learned.

things like the 3DO were important for the onset of disc media, even though it failed it paved the way.

gunbladelad

Post by gunbladelad » Sun Aug 24, 2014 5:54 am

For me the major blot on the landscape would be the N-Gage - a clear sign that Nokia simply couldn't "engage" with the gaming market and as a result have left a black mark across their name that lasts even now.
Where logic won't work, I will

gman72

Post by gman72 » Sun Aug 24, 2014 6:01 am

r0jaws wrote:Atari 2600, I just hate the machine. I find the games boring and ugly and the controller is just awful. I know it had "historical" significance (probably), but TBH I can live without the Woody in my life with no problem whatsoever.
Seconded... and their following console also, for the same reasons.
“To gain your own voice, you have to forget about having it heard.” —Allen Ginsberg, WD

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Sun Aug 24, 2014 6:05 am

Ones that I always wonder why they exist

Atari 5200 - The "Why" machine
32X - The "Why" machine, the Saturn was due to come out
Jaguar CD - a console that was dead in a market sense, lets release an add-on for it, sure there's one or two games worth playing on it
Those mini versions of other consoles - PSone, PS2 mini, PS3 I can under stand due to size, Wii Mini, can understand with some protables as they are trying to improve hardware.
PSPGo - Download only? Sure with CFW it becomes great but still
VHS based machines - Faak em all, break there neck make them humble..................(Iron Sheik reference)
Onlive - Was a bad idea from the get go, cloud gaming sounds all very well, but then when the internet goes down................
Ouya - I was all for this, but since it came out loads of Android set top boxes have come out and most do things better and are a lot cheaper
Xbox one/PS4 - NO GAEMS!! Give them two years before some actual exclusives

I can kinda see where they where going with the likes of Virtual Boy and game.com, probably before there time and the companys costs cutting made them bad

The Laird

Post by The Laird » Sun Aug 24, 2014 7:02 am

Strange to see the 2600 mentioned by a couple of people, very weird indeed given it's place in history.

But I see a couple of people have mentioned it's successor the 5200, now that was a really poor idea and IMO Atari's biggest mistake. Lets make a obscenely huge console based on a 3 year old home computer that, although it uses almost identical technology, isn't compatible and has terrible non-centering joysticks that break when you look at them. It has some nice games but nothing you can't already play on an A8 so that also renders it completely pointless. The XEGS was the 5200 done right but what Atari really should have done is had a machine like 7800 a lot earlier.

Matt_B

Post by Matt_B » Sun Aug 24, 2014 7:19 am

I had a lot of fun with games on the CPC. Mind you, I had the benefit of also having a Spectrum at the same time; whenever it got a particularly loathsome port I could buy that version instead.

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Sun Aug 24, 2014 7:23 am

Probably the Sam Coupe. On paper it was a good idea but arrived really too late. Also the Atari lynx. On paper it should have wiped the floor with the mono gameboy with its specs but the complete opposite happened. Terrible battery life and all your mates had a gameboy ! Same for the cpc. Just arrived too late to really compete

(No way the Atari 2600. Was massive just before home computers arrived and a classic machine)

noobish hat

Post by noobish hat » Sun Aug 24, 2014 7:41 am

I'm sure there are worse systems, like the 32X or Jaguar or whatever, but not having played them, I think I'll say the GBA SP. What a horrible redesign. It was the first step Nintendo took down the long slippery slope of form over function. They mindlessly ripped the clamshell design from popular phone designs of the time, despite phones being held for a few minutes and game systems being held for several hours. No handheld system or controller should be thin and flat. Human hands have not evolved to grip things like that; that's why most modern controllers still have that same "3D" shape, despite the technology being available to make them as flat as a credit card if we so wished. There's a very good reason that we haven't done that, but apparently that all goes out the window when it comes to handhelds, since every system since then has just got worse and worse and worse. The DS Lite is particularly awful because you now have to grip the thin piece of junk with only ONE hand because you have to hover the other over the screen holding the stylus. But it all began with the SP. Not only is the form factor an absolute travesty, with nothing to hold onto and cramp-inducing shoulder button placement, the screen illumination was another example of Nintendo cheaping out on their loyal followers. They screwed everyone over (including the devs) with the original non-illuminated screen, and the SP frontlight is the absolute bare-minimum effort they could possibly have made. A frontlight? Seriously? It's censored weak and washes out all those lovely colours. On top of that, there's no sleep mode. I don't know how easy it would have been to implement this, given that pre-existing and future games also had to be compatible with the original GBA, but why make a clamshell system with no sleep mode? The final nail in the coffin though is the lack of a headphone jack. This is utterly bafflingly demented to me. No head phone jack? On a handheld system? In Japan, it's the height of rudeness to have sounds blaring out of a portable device, be it a phone, game system, or whatever, on public transport. Pretty much nobody does this. So the only option is silence? What were they thinking? I've heard the reason is that it wasn't possible to include it because of the size of the device. But the Micro had one, and that was half the size! Just another way for Nintendo to save money by delivering an incomplete product (same as their shitty 3-foot SFC controller cables and lack of power supply, and again with the 3DS XL). Cheap bastards.

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Sun Aug 24, 2014 8:00 am

^I think quite a few people liked the Sp,
The first GBA was a bit rubbish, the SP was more portable,

the Micro can frig off, its to small

RodimusPrime

Post by RodimusPrime » Sun Aug 24, 2014 8:08 am

noobish hat wrote:I'm sure there are worse systems, like the 32X or Jaguar or whatever, but not having played them, I think I'll say the GBA SP. What a horrible redesign. It was the first step Nintendo took down the long slippery slope of form over function. They mindlessly ripped the clamshell design from popular phone designs of the time, despite phones being held for a few minutes and game systems being held for several hours. No handheld system or controller should be thin and flat. Human hands have not evolved to grip things like that; that's why most modern controllers still have that same "3D" shape, despite the technology being available to make them as flat as a credit card if we so wished. There's a very good reason that we haven't done that, but apparently that all goes out the window when it comes to handhelds, since every system since then has just got worse and worse and worse. The DS Lite is particularly awful because you now have to grip the thin piece of junk with only ONE hand because you have to hover the other over the screen holding the stylus. But it all began with the SP. Not only is the form factor an absolute travesty, with nothing to hold onto and cramp-inducing shoulder button placement, the screen illumination was another example of Nintendo cheaping out on their loyal followers. They screwed everyone over (including the devs) with the original non-illuminated screen, and the SP frontlight is the absolute bare-minimum effort they could possibly have made. A frontlight? Seriously? It's censored weak and washes out all those lovely colours. On top of that, there's no sleep mode. I don't know how easy it would have been to implement this, given that pre-existing and future games also had to be compatible with the original GBA, but why make a clamshell system with no sleep mode? The final nail in the coffin though is the lack of a headphone jack. This is utterly bafflingly demented to me. No head phone jack? On a handheld system? In Japan, it's the height of rudeness to have sounds blaring out of a portable device, be it a phone, game system, or whatever, on public transport. Pretty much nobody does this. So the only option is silence? What were they thinking? I've heard the reason is that it wasn't possible to include it because of the size of the device. But the Micro had one, and that was half the size! Just another way for Nintendo to save money by delivering an incomplete product (same as their shitty 3-foot SFC controller cables and lack of power supply, and again with the 3DS XL). Cheap bastards.
Its strange because I love the library of games the Advance has, but don't really like any of the actual consoles. standard has a censored screen, SP has its problems, and the micro is just too damn small.

Thank god for the Advance player, and now the Retron 5. stay away from the shoddy 3d attempts and stick to the 2D games and you have an amazing library whcich actually look great on the big screen. just recently played through final fight one on the retron 5 and it was fantastic.

I have said it in the past, but its like being introduced to a new home console full of great 16bit games.