Shinobi vs Rolling Thunder

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

Which do you prefer, Shinobi or Rolling Thunder?

Poll ended at Mon Sep 15, 2014 6:14 pm

Shinobi
38%
Rolling Thunder
54%
I Haven't Played Rolling Thunder
4%
They're Both Rubbish
4%

Total votes: 24

Spector

Shinobi vs Rolling Thunder

Post by Spector » Mon Aug 18, 2014 6:14 pm

The Shinobi article in this month's RG reminded me more of how much I miss playing the similarly-styled Rolling Thunder in the arcades. I just think it's a better game. The two most overused plot vehicles in 80s gaming are outer space and martial arts/ninja scenarios, so when I see Shinobi with all the usual run/jump/shuriken stuff, my eyes glaze over a little. Rolling Thunder on the other hand is given a James Bond-ish setting in 1960 and the main character moves with an elegance I don't believe Shinobi has. It's a much more distinctive take.

The big problem with Rolling Thunder is it didn't have the conversions Shinobi had. The Spectrum version was good, but the C64 one was mediocre, and I've heard bad things about the NES too. Sadly the Atari Lynx never got its version; it could have been a classic. So even though I've made a poll, I know Shinobi will win by a mile because it's much better known. Oh and remember, Rolling Thunder came first.
The Retro Gaming Discord channel. Every Sunday from 9pm- click this link:
https://discordapp.com/invite/Tphe4UH

Don't be scared: join in the chat! :)

crusto

Re: Shinobi vs Rolling Thunder

Post by crusto » Mon Aug 18, 2014 6:22 pm

I voted for rolling thunder. Basically because I think that in terms of the original arcade games RT was better. It held my attention for longer and seemed more fun. In terms of series/conversions though it's Shinobrot hands down.

Eat your nans pants

ootini

Post by ootini » Tue Aug 19, 2014 4:30 am

Tough Call for sure. Both very similar games in terms of gameplay. Both also very satisfying in terms of fast reflex duck, dodge jump n' shoot action. Both have great, memorable music too. Shinobi was an arcade staple for me back in the day too. Seemed like it was in every arcade hall back then. Never seen a Rolling Thunder cabinet anywhere, only ever played the original via emulation or as part of a Namaco retrospective. Though I did love the C64 conversion - had it as part of a US gold Giants compilation with Gauntlet 2, 720 and a few others. While there was an awkwardness to it visually, for the most part I thought it was a pretty good game.

Rolling thunder on the NES, Its been a long time since I played it, but If my recollection is correct I remember it being kinda shoddy. Like most of Tengen's takes on Namaco titles for NES.

I've chosen Rolling thunder myself as I think its a little more accessible. As in I've always been able to get further in the game on a single credit than I ever have with Shinobi, which gets a tad frustrating about 3 levels in. Shinobi's bonus stage is still pretty impressive though. Probably my favorite thing about it in fact.

On an aside the movie Rolling Thunder from 1977 which is in no way related to the game in any way is an excellent gritty revenge flick.

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Tue Aug 19, 2014 4:46 am

In firsts.
I prefer Rolling Thunder.
Shinobis "find the hostages" was a bit tedious

Mire Mare

Post by Mire Mare » Tue Aug 19, 2014 8:54 am

I like Shinobi but I've always preferred Rolling Thunder. I love the graphical style, the setting and the story.

PlodMadLoon

Post by PlodMadLoon » Tue Aug 19, 2014 10:27 am

Yeah, Rolling Thunder for me too. Not disrespecting Shinobi here, it's a great game too, but RT is just the one I feel for.

merman

Post by merman » Tue Aug 19, 2014 12:05 pm

Well, I wrote the Shinobi feature and have always preferred it to Rolling Thunder. I do like RT but find it more repetitive, where Shinobi mixes things up nicely so that each level looks and feels different.
merman1974 on Steam, Xbox Live, Twitter and YouTube

the_hawk

Post by the_hawk » Tue Aug 19, 2014 12:43 pm

Hey there's no option for me, I like em both.

They both had vastly superior Sequels on the Megadrive.
You can follow me on Twitter https://twitter.com/DaveySloan
Sponsor Me http://www.justgiving.com/daveysloan2014

OR type 99 to continue

PaulEMoz

Post by PaulEMoz » Tue Aug 19, 2014 2:15 pm

I loved both in the arcades, but I was better at Rolling Thunder so I've gone for that. Very tough decision, though.

ncf1

Post by ncf1 » Tue Aug 19, 2014 3:49 pm

Shinobi for me. Chucking stars, well you just cant beat that. it trained me well for the streets of western Melbourne too, came in real handy. And yes I wore the ninja suit too, it was a nice touch.

slacey1070

Post by slacey1070 » Tue Aug 19, 2014 5:06 pm

I love Rolling Thunder, played the amiga version to death...
Owned: Vic 20, C64, Amiga, PC, SNES, Dreamcast, PS2, Gameboy, Gameboy Colour, DS, Xbox360, PSP 2000, Wii, 3DSXL, GameCube, N64, JXD S7800.

“I ain't got a problem with your anger, hope you get around to having fun" Hugh Cornwell.

JamesC

Post by JamesC » Wed Aug 20, 2014 6:36 am

Tough one. Rolling Thunder looks better imho - I just love the design of the baddies. Shinobi was easier though, which meant you could get further on a single credit. It also had a cool first person bonus stage. Another plus point was that I always got a kick out of seeing 'Spider-Man'.
In terms of sequels, Rolling Thunder 2 on the Megadrive is a great game but, again, very difficult. I think I prefer Shinobi 3 and Shadow Dancer.