Does anybody actually sit and play all the way through Retro

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

woody.cool

Re: Does anybody actually sit and play all the way through R

Post by woody.cool » Fri Aug 22, 2014 1:41 pm

the_hawk wrote:I rarely completed a game in the 80s when I had the better hand-eye coordination & all the time in the World, so it's unlikely that I'll start now!
Exactly this .... I find that my co-ordination is worse now than it used to be.
Doesn't stop me having a good blast on a few retro titles though.

dste

Post by dste » Sat Aug 23, 2014 11:22 am

Do I sit and play all the way through retro?

Yes I do as I buy a game to play it, eventually. Like most people on here I have a vast backlog but all games from retro to modern I buy to play and complete.
Game Over Yeah - My Blog
Game Over Yeah - Facebook
Megamixer wrote:I never find it relaxing! Trying to hold onto my rings and not get hit by things is stressful!

Spector

Post by Spector » Sat Aug 23, 2014 1:24 pm

A lot of what we call retro isn't like that though; the early 80s were full of games that were cyclical and couldn't be finished, and some of my favourites are of that nature.
The Retro Gaming Discord channel. Every Sunday from 9pm- click this link:
https://discordapp.com/invite/Tphe4UH

Don't be scared: join in the chat! :)

crusto

Post by crusto » Sun Aug 24, 2014 3:52 am

It all depends on whether I can be bothered or not at the time. But I don't tend to play much retro stuff anymore.

Eat your nans pants

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Sun Aug 24, 2014 5:22 am

Spector wrote:A lot of what we call retro isn't like that though; the early 80s were full of games that were cyclical and couldn't be finished, and some of my favourites are of that nature.
In those cases, I usually look upon 'finished' as having cycled through all the level variations, topped the high score table, or beaten some specific challenge (e.g. get to level 25, or score more than one million points, cycle the game on one life etc).
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

noobish hat

Post by noobish hat » Sun Aug 24, 2014 5:48 am

I tend not to finish many games. I buy/have bought far too many anyway. I get opportunity paralysis or I get distracted by something else. The games I finish are usually my old favourites (Zeldas, Resident Evil, Broken Sword, Super Metroid, Lylat Wars etc), which I've completed over and over again. This is not helping matters, of course, and I tend to do this with music, films, and books too; returning to what is comfortable and familiar instead of risking my valuable time on an unknown quantity. I've got 'systems' in place to encourage me to play through more games to the end though. On bordersdown, I have a thread where I play through N64 games in order of release, which really helps avoid the problem of having too many titles to choose from. So far I've finished all the games I've started on the N64. Recently I've been playing a lot of GBA games, and I've also been updating a thread with reviews of each one, which really gives me a 'real world' incentive to finish each title. I've been limiting myself to playing only 2 games simultaneously (usually an action game and an RPG or something like that) so I don't get behind on anything (which is usually the reason I'll stop playing something). This has helped me clear some games I've had waiting in my collection for over 10 years! In the last couple of months I've beaten Minish Cap, Pokemon Pinball Ruby and Sapphire, Onimusha Tactics, Wario Ware Twisted, Monkey Ball Jr, and Racing Gears Advance, which is more games than I've beaten in quite a long time (other than on the N64).

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Sun Aug 24, 2014 4:57 pm

I always aim to. If I don't think I'll get around to playing something or ever wanting to complete it then I'll either just sell it or not buy it in the first place.
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

playzooki

Post by playzooki » Sun Aug 31, 2014 1:46 pm

id complete retro games if i was good enough ;_;7

Treguard

Post by Treguard » Mon Sep 01, 2014 10:33 am

Depends on the game, some games I played back in the 80's on the CPC are still impossible to this day (Fantastic Voyage, I'm looking at you) but I've been going back and completing some NES games recently.

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Mon Sep 01, 2014 11:43 am

Its crazy i have so many retro games i like but i rarely have seen later levels/or completed them.

What i tend to do now is to play them on MAME, obviously use tons of coins (where you can) and carry on till i complete them. Saw the later levels of Golden Axe for the first time (inspired by the Golden Axe article).

Started trying to complete Mario Bros (NES) and that turned out to be quite tricky ! Saved at lots of points on an emulator but even so i'm surprised how tough that game is.

Never going to complete games such as Knight Lore or Jet Set Willy though

Ferret Oxide

Post by Ferret Oxide » Mon Sep 01, 2014 3:51 pm

It depends on whether I'm enjoying the game. I won't slog through a game if it feels more like work than fun. If I enjoy it, though, I'll usualyy try to finish a game, regardless of how old it is.

r0jaws

Post by r0jaws » Mon Sep 01, 2014 6:34 pm

I just play them until I'm bored and as the fancy takes me. I don't feel compelled to complete any game, sometimes I actually feel a bit disappointed when I do as then that's it for me.