Does anybody actually sit and play all the way through Retro

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

RodimusPrime

Does anybody actually sit and play all the way through Retro

Post by RodimusPrime » Fri Aug 15, 2014 12:34 pm

I do, I buy a game and try and complete it before I add it to my collection, I do however know people who will buy a game, put it on, get a burst of nostalgia, mention how much they love the game and play it for half an hour. It then goes into the collection and is forgotten about.

Who actually completes and plays through the games in their collection

Antiriad2097

Re: Does anybody actually sit and play all the way through R

Post by Antiriad2097 » Fri Aug 15, 2014 12:43 pm

I do. Just not with every game every time I buy one, as its far too late for that. But now I tend to put on and play a game with the intent of completing it. There are still plenty where I'll just play for half an hour, but that's just the way of things.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

the_hawk

Post by the_hawk » Fri Aug 15, 2014 1:03 pm

I rarely completed a game in the 80s when I had the better hand-eye coordination & all the time in the World, so it's unlikely that I'll start now!
You can follow me on Twitter https://twitter.com/DaveySloan
Sponsor Me http://www.justgiving.com/daveysloan2014

OR type 99 to continue

Dam

Post by Dam » Fri Aug 15, 2014 1:22 pm

Most games I buy get played for 10 mins then sit on the shelf and never get played again. But having said that, I do usually have one retro game on the go, alongside a modern(ish) game and if I like it, then I try to complete it, or at least play it as far as until it gets stupidly hard. I'm currently being driven round the bend by Castlevania III, but I'm determined to finish it! It often takes me a few weeks to get through a game, so at my current rate, I need to live to be about 300 just to clear my backlog!

sscott

Post by sscott » Fri Aug 15, 2014 3:09 pm

I have a fantastic retro game collection in the attic but sort of ashamed to say I barely use it. Wasn't always that way but family and work has inevitably shifted focus. I enjoyed the collecting but feel like I've hit a wall.

jdanddiet

Post by jdanddiet » Fri Aug 15, 2014 3:59 pm

sscott wrote:I have a fantastic retro game collection in the attic but sort of ashamed to say I barely use it. Wasn't always that way but family and work has inevitably shifted focus. I enjoyed the collecting but feel like I've hit a wall.
Interesting....got a reply for me mate?
For retro news, full articles, retrospectives and a gallery of my work check out http://wizwords.net/
Wizwords on Twitter: https://twitter.com/Wizwords
and Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/wizwords

Misery

Post by Misery » Sat Aug 16, 2014 3:04 am

I play them frequently. I dont see the point of buying them otherwise. It's not like my pile of games is going to impress anyone, or for that matter be SEEN by anyone even. That may be different for others of course, but definitely not in my case.

Hell, I dont even "collect" in the same way others do. Most people get this big organized setup with game boxes and everything on shelves and whatnot. I have absolute freaking chaos with 2600 cartridges and controllers and wires and whatever the rest of this stuff around me is; half the room is covered in this stuff. And then a drawer full of more of them, and a 2 and a half foot stack of 360 and PS3 cases, which is now bringing up the questions of A: what are they doing there, and B: what the heck is in them?

That mostly being because alot of that stuff gets frequently used. 7800 is always on the desk/table/something.

shiftytigger

Post by shiftytigger » Sat Aug 16, 2014 6:28 am

If i play something on a retro console , I intend to play through it. Cant play Streets of rage 2 without getting to the end. If its something with a save I have intentions that dont always pan out.

ShadowMan

Post by ShadowMan » Sat Aug 16, 2014 8:00 am

I do. I've got a bit of a backlog at the moment but I've been playing through the Ghosts n Goblins franchise in the last couple of months (played through each twice to get the proper endings) and am now working on Famicom versions of Star Wars, Kirby and Batman. I won't be finishing the Famicom version of Transformers though, a few moments of nostalgia was enough to remind me how flipping impossible and bad that game was!
My Complete Megaman/Rockman collection: http://retrogamer.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=26485 *Updated 22/05/2011*

theantmeister

Post by theantmeister » Sat Aug 16, 2014 8:34 am

Dam wrote:Most games I buy get played for 10 mins then sit on the shelf and never get played again. But having said that, I do usually have one retro game on the go, alongside a modern(ish) game and if I like it, then I try to complete it, or at least play it as far as until it gets stupidly hard. I'm currently being driven round the bend by Castlevania III, but I'm determined to finish it! It often takes me a few weeks to get through a game, so at my current rate, I need to live to be about 300 just to clear my backlog!
This is pretty much what I do. And yeah, at my current rate I'll never clear my backlog, which means most of my collection sits and collects dust.

I'm busy with Legend of the mystical ninja (Goemon) on the SNES and Bionic Commando on the NES at the moment. Interestingly, both games I never played back in the day.
ShadowMan wrote:I do. I've got a bit of a backlog at the moment but I've been playing through the Ghosts n Goblins franchise in the last couple of months (played through each twice to get the proper endings) and am now working on Famicom versions of Star Wars, Kirby and Batman. I won't be finishing the Famicom version of Transformers though, a few moments of nostalgia was enough to remind me how flipping impossible and bad that game was!
*shudder* Mystery of Comvoy. What a nightmare.

Shinobi

Post by Shinobi » Sat Aug 16, 2014 7:06 pm

ShadowMan wrote:I do. I've got a bit of a backlog at the moment but I've been playing through the Ghosts n Goblins franchise in the last couple of months (played through each twice to get the proper endings) and am now working on Famicom versions of Star Wars, Kirby and Batman. I won't be finishing the Famicom version of Transformers though, a few moments of nostalgia was enough to remind me how flipping impossible and bad that game was!
That's mighty impressive I can get to those two flying Demons who take Princess Prin Prin(or whatever her name is at the beginning) on 1 credit.. Then I realise you need to beat the last level and Satan with the cross and its crap range.. I just gave up on it, will try and 1cc Rolling Thunder instead.. Yukomo of Game Centre CX finished Transformers I think and he's crap on games I can't even get past the 5th ememy
"Crush the Old Order and CREATE A NEW SOCIETY!"

Shinobi

Post by Shinobi » Sat Aug 16, 2014 7:13 pm

Me I'm pretty much like Misery own a lot of games I actually play

Finished Shadow Warriors, Final Fight, Combatribes and Streets of Rage 2 1cc recently.. Was playing through Snes Pirates of Dark Water can't finish it as it takes ages, also Rival Turf and Ghost Chaser run out of continues on them and the Atari 2600 Super Cobra that I also finished.. And I also finished the Commodore 16 Pharaoh's Tomb and G Man.. Atari 2600 Hero I can play for hours

Just 1cc'ed Frisky Tom Nichibutsu original hardware took over a hour to finish, .. Personally I just prefer old games as new games have no replay value when you've got all the achievements
Last edited by Shinobi on Sun Aug 17, 2014 8:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

sscott

Post by sscott » Sun Aug 17, 2014 7:59 am

jdanddiet wrote:
sscott wrote:I have a fantastic retro game collection in the attic but sort of ashamed to say I barely use it. Wasn't always that way but family and work has inevitably shifted focus. I enjoyed the collecting but feel like I've hit a wall.
Interesting....got a reply for me mate?
I guess I'll provide more detail on the follow up interview! I have also found things like playstation plus bombard with games I can play instantly on more modern consoles also. Many older 8bit and 16bit computer tape and disc based formats are becoming increasingly unreliable too.

ShadowMan

Post by ShadowMan » Sun Aug 17, 2014 9:37 am

Shinobi wrote:
That's mighty impressive I can get to those two flying Demons who take Princess Prin Prin(or whatever her name is at the beginning) on 1 credit.. Then I realise you need to beat the last level and Satan with the cross and its crap range.. I just gave up on it, will try and 1cc Rolling Thunder instead.. Yukomo of Game Centre CX finished Transformers I think and he's crap on games I can't even get past the 5th ememy
Yeah, I can't 1CC the game, nothing close to it in fact! Its actually level 2 that causes all the problems for me for some weird reason... The cross does really suck though, that also caused me lots of problems but I managed it in the end. The red devils aren't too bad on the Famicom version when you learn their attack patterns, its much more annoying in the Super Famicom Super GnG, they are pretty easy on the Megadrive vesion of GnG as you can shoot upwards.
My Complete Megaman/Rockman collection: http://retrogamer.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=26485 *Updated 22/05/2011*

Shinobi

Post by Shinobi » Sun Aug 17, 2014 10:04 am

ShadowMan wrote:
Shinobi wrote:
Yeah, I can't 1CC the game, nothing close to it in fact! Its actually level 2 that causes all the problems for me for some weird reason... The cross does really suck though, that also caused me lots of problems but I managed it in the end. The red devils aren't too bad on the Famicom version when you learn their attack patterns, its much more annoying in the Super Famicom Super GnG, they are pretty easy on the Megadrive vesion of GnG as you can shoot upwards.
I watched the 1cc Nes replay on Youtube and it seems impossible as the dead come out way too fast even on the first level.. Watching Replay Burners arcade replay there's a way to keep the red devils grounded but I can't get it to work.. A lot of the second level seems random with the ice palace and the blue things coming from windows the second troll above the ladder its moment seems random.. The rest of the level including the 2 Iklatuu's or Gate Keepers are easy to beat.. I heard there's to version hard and impossibly hard with skeletons next to ladders where you have to take hits. I imagine the Nes version is based on the harder arcade revision..

I always thought the Mega Man games seem harder Mega Man 2 in particular I can not do that time leveled
Last edited by Shinobi on Sun Aug 24, 2014 5:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.