Game Gear

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

dste

Game Gear

Post by dste » Thu Aug 14, 2014 10:28 am

I'm really loving playing my handhelds at the moment and I've begun to think about the possibility about buying a Game Gear. Only problem is that I'm not really that familiar with them truth be told. I've played one before but not for that long.

So my questions are:

Is it worth buying one?
I prefer boxed stuff but is it worth buying a boxed one or just a loose one?
How much should I realistically look at paying for one?
What games should I pick up?

Cheers
Game Over Yeah - My Blog
Game Over Yeah - Facebook
Megamixer wrote:I never find it relaxing! Trying to hold onto my rings and not get hit by things is stressful!

TwoHeadedBoy

Re: Game Gear

Post by TwoHeadedBoy » Thu Aug 14, 2014 11:03 am

They're tricky to find - most of the time, if you DO find one, you'll be dismayed to see that the screen is failing or the sound doesn't work. There's a guy on eBay that repairs them, but it's extra hassle and cost on top of what you're already paying (around £30 loose in most cases, although I've been given them for free on a couple occasions).

They ARE worth it though - lovely design on the thing, and there's lots of games on it that weren't possible on the Master System (due to the Game Gear's bigger colour palette or something, at a guess).

A nice alternative is this thing:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Blaze-Master-Sy ... a+handheld

Can probably find that cheaper as well.

If you DO eventually get a Game Gear, I can recommend the following:
-Columns
-Shinobi II: The Silent Fury
-Devilish
-Demon Child ZENKI
-GG Aleste
-Ninja Gaiden
-Sonic The Hedgehog (zoomed in compared to the SMS version, but I prefer it!)
-Ristar
-Arena: Maze of Death
-Sonic Triple Trouble
-Woody Pop

Some of those are obviously easier to find than others!
My comics blog (mostly lesser-known UK stuff from the 80s and 90s)
C=Style wrote:It's always refreshing and nice to see someone such as TwoHeadedBoy who is a SNES hating bastard at the best of times rate a SNES game so highly.

adippm82

Post by adippm82 » Thu Aug 14, 2014 11:11 am

The main problem with Game Gears nowadays is the capacitors inside them were always cheap and nasty, so quite often they have failed and the machines have no sound, and a dull screen, so buying one that has had the capacitors replaced is a good idea.
Boxed games cost usually round £10-15 pounds for the common titles like Sonic, rarer games around £30, some like Panzer Dragoon, a lot more, loose carts can be picked up for a pennies, and are in plentiful supply.

Price wise, if you find a decent boxed one, you should be paying no more than about £30 for a UK one in a mint box, some of the special edition ones like the Coca Cola one would cost a fair bit more, as for unboxed, I have picked them up from £10-£15, a bit more if the capacitors have been changed.

Games wise it has the usual Sega arcade game conversions, but expect more master system quality than Megadrive, there are some top titles such as Gunstar Heroes on import, that are superb, I really like Prince Of Persia on the machine, and the Mickey Mouse games, the usual suspects such as Lemmings are all good.

Is the machine worth it, bit torn on this one, the machine feels quite tacky, the fire buttons, and controls in general just feel loose, but by far the worst thing about the console is the screen, it is horrible IMO, pretty bad contrast level, very blurry with certain titles, and the machine eats batteries like nobody's business, even modern ones.

Not my favourite handheld by any means.

RetroBob

Post by RetroBob » Thu Aug 14, 2014 11:26 am

Tricky to find? There's a tonne on ebay. Definitely worth buying, and I would make sure that you replace caps in any gg (unless already done).

There's a guy on Twitter and ebay called gear4games who does all sorts of mods as well as replacing the caps. He did the caps and replaced the backlight with more efficient LEDs so the batteries last 8 hours. Honestly it breathed new life in to it, the screen is bright, colours vivid and sound is LOUD! He's a nice bloke too, real name James, I met him at Retro Collect's Video Game Market in Leeds earlier this year. Its like his personal mission is to make good every GG! There's other threads about his service and a at the time a fair few of us here had used his service.
Xbox Live: RetroBob

adippm82

Post by adippm82 » Thu Aug 14, 2014 11:32 am

RetroBob wrote:There's a guy on Twitter and ebay called gear4games who does all sorts of mods as well as replacing the caps. He did the caps and replaced the backlight with more efficient LEDs so the batteries last 8 hours. Honestly it breathed new life in to it, the screen is bright, colours vivid and sound is LOUD! He's a nice bloke too, real name James, I met him at Retro Collect's Video Game Market in Leeds earlier this year. Its like his personal mission is to make good every GG! There's other threads about his service and a at the time a fair few of us here had used his service.
I too can heartily recommend James for fixing up any caps problems, he did one of my Game Gears, but also my PC Engine GT, they both now actually rumble their cases they are so loud, also a very quick turnaround, and cheap too, not seen his LED mod, I will have to look into that one.

thompson9980

Post by thompson9980 » Thu Aug 14, 2014 12:05 pm

The Game Gear is a pretty cool system. They feel pretty sturdy to hold. The only downsides for me are the motion blur and poor battery life.
Mine had the dull screen and sound issues too, but again, replacing the caps worked a treat as has been mentioned.
I bought a kit off Ebay and did it myself. Cheapest way if you're handy with a soldering iron.
RetroBob wrote:replaced the backlight with more efficient LEDs so the batteries last 8 hours.
This is very interesting! I'll have to look into this.
STUFF WANTED:
Sega 32X
Sega Megadrive, Japanese, mark 1
Sega Megadrive II

SpockIOM

Post by SpockIOM » Thu Aug 14, 2014 12:06 pm

If you like the Master System and it's library of games then by all means get one. I never thought the Game Gear was as good as the SMS but it did an acceptable job.
So if you've got a library of SMS games get the adaptor to use them in the GG, if not it's the usual suspects - Sonic, Wonder Boy, Shinobi etc. As for GG exclusives, Ax Battler is at the top of my list.
Yours sincerely, the little voice in your head that talks when you read.

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Thu Aug 14, 2014 3:02 pm

Personally, if it's for actual handheld use I'd be more inclined to emulate it on a DS, PSP or whatever.

I loved my Game Gear (we still have two in the house), but the screen is terrible by today's standards. I find it really detrimental to the games that everything is so blurry in motion.

If its a collection you want, or want to experience the real hardware, fair enough, get a GG, but it's not necessarily the best option to play the games.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

Liamh1982

Post by Liamh1982 » Thu Aug 14, 2014 4:06 pm

Another here who'd recommend Gear4Games' services, bang-up job he did. :D

As already stated they are notoriously flaky and unreliable and yes, the screen is pretty crap (though nowhere near as bad as say the Game.com or those early-90s Game Boy "rivals" you see Ashens review) but there's something strangely loveable about the old thing IMO.
Then I would say that, I've got two of them and nearly 50 games!

If I can add some recommendations to those already given:
Baku Baku (digital crack I call it)
Slider (better known as Skweek on other platforms)
Road Rash (a little slow but an excellent conversion)
Global Gladiators (one of those games where I always preferred the 8-bit versions)

The Laird

Post by The Laird » Thu Aug 14, 2014 5:11 pm

It's just a poor quality portable Master System basically, I am a HUGE Sega fan but think the Game Gear is awful. Have owned one several times now and ended up selling it off each time.

This pretty much sums up my thoughts on it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CyHYIID5Dw8

PaulEMoz

Post by PaulEMoz » Thu Aug 14, 2014 8:55 pm

I loved mine back in the day, and keep thinking of getting another one now. One game I loved that hasn't been mentioned here (unless I missed it) is Halley Wars. It's more or less a conversion of the arcade game Halley's Comet, which I also used to love.

RetroBob

Post by RetroBob » Thu Aug 14, 2014 10:30 pm

Yeah cracking game that.
Xbox Live: RetroBob

dste

Post by dste » Fri Aug 15, 2014 10:12 am

Interesting responses cheers.

Going off what people have said I think I will see if I can pick one up in the wild off a car boot sale first and then if not see if I really want to pick one up from Evil-bay as I'm in no rush at the moment due to my backlog of DS/GBA/GB games.

Thanks everyone. :D
Game Over Yeah - My Blog
Game Over Yeah - Facebook
Megamixer wrote:I never find it relaxing! Trying to hold onto my rings and not get hit by things is stressful!

sscott

Post by sscott » Fri Aug 15, 2014 11:41 am

Forgot how bad the screen is, just booted mine up now, sound is still working fine on mine though.

thompson9980

Post by thompson9980 » Fri Aug 15, 2014 12:06 pm

Another thought with regards to using LEDs as a backlight is that if they are pulsed in sync with the screen refresh rate then motion blur could be reduced by introducing a little dark time into each frame.
This would be at the expense of brightness (depending on the dark time period) but increasing the number of LEDs would count for that.

Whether this is feasible in the Game Gear is another matter, lol. May be worth a look.
I think I've found myself a new project!
STUFF WANTED:
Sega 32X
Sega Megadrive, Japanese, mark 1
Sega Megadrive II