Best or Worst of ZX Spectrum

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

User avatar
Antiriad2097
Posts: 26671
Joined: Wed Nov 30, 2005 2:48 pm
Location: http://s11.zetaboards.com/RetroLeague/
Contact:

Re: Best or Worst of ZX Spectrum

Post by Antiriad2097 » Wed Aug 20, 2014 9:08 am

Iirc you could just sneak past the first wall in Airwolf before it built up.

Since we're on heli games, Krakatoa was a lot of fun, rescuing survivors ( or just watching them die). Tried it since, the controls are horrid, but we didn't know any better then and lots of games were experimenting with controls.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

User avatar
merman
Posts: 6371
Joined: Wed Nov 30, 2005 5:14 pm
Location: Skegness, UK
Contact:

Re: Best or Worst of ZX Spectrum

Post by merman » Wed Aug 20, 2014 9:19 am

Have to say, I was impressed with the Shinobi conversion having played it for my article. Detailed graphics and a decent pace. Green Beret is another favourite.
merman1974 on Steam, Xbox Live, Twitter and YouTube

User avatar
Matt_B
Posts: 5286
Joined: Wed Mar 14, 2007 5:30 am
Location: 5 minutes from the beach, 30 seconds from the pub

Re: Best or Worst of ZX Spectrum

Post by Matt_B » Wed Aug 20, 2014 9:30 am

Antiriad2097 wrote:Iirc you could just sneak past the first wall in Airwolf before it built up.
Not the first one, but certainly the second if you entered the screen from the left. Looking back, it's easy to see why they made Airwolf so hard. Once you've got past the second wall you've seen nearly half the screens in the game. Obviously there's a lot of irritating pixel perfect manoeuvring to go before you can rescue the hostages though.
Since we're on heli games, Krakatoa was a lot of fun, rescuing survivors ( or just watching them die). Tried it since, the controls are horrid, but we didn't know any better then and lots of games were experimenting with controls.
Yeah, and the controls obviously weren't the only element of experimentation with that game. I mean, where else do you get to defend an oil tanker from rocket and submarine attacks, whilst rescuing people from an erupting volcano?

User avatar
JamesC
Posts: 396
Joined: Tue Aug 19, 2014 1:51 pm
Location: Norwich

Re: Best or Worst of ZX Spectrum

Post by JamesC » Wed Aug 20, 2014 12:18 pm

A semi-official port that I enjoyed was Frank Bruno's Boxing - a port of Punch Out.
The graphics were really good and it played pretty well apart from the fact you had to use the keyboard as well as the joystick which could be a bit cumbersome. The characters and humour were great.

User avatar
Spector
Posts: 2462
Joined: Sat Jul 29, 2006 5:44 pm

Re: Best or Worst of ZX Spectrum

Post by Spector » Wed Aug 20, 2014 1:05 pm

JamesC wrote:A semi-official port that I enjoyed was Frank Bruno's Boxing - a port of Punch Out.
The graphics were really good and it played pretty well apart from the fact you had to use the keyboard as well as the joystick which could be a bit cumbersome. The characters and humour were great.
Ah yes, Frank Bruno's Boxing. I think you'd have a bit of trouble releasing that game today with some of the racial stereotypes in it! But it was good fun for the most part, even if Andrei Puncheredov's out-of-nowhere headbutts could be really annoying.
The Retro Gaming Discord channel. Every Sunday from 9pm- click this link:
https://discordapp.com/invite/Tphe4UH

Don't be scared: join in the chat! :)

User avatar
mlucifersam
Posts: 278
Joined: Thu Apr 12, 2007 2:08 pm
Location: Manchester, UK
Contact:

Re: Best or Worst of ZX Spectrum

Post by mlucifersam » Wed Aug 20, 2014 6:38 pm

psj3809 wrote:Also the infamous Zoids review, werent Crash given some freebies or something for that ? That review was one of the worst i had seen in Crashi
I too was taken in by their 96% Crash Smash review, went out a bought it (I wasn't even in to Zoids!) and never worked out what I was supposed to be doing!
Mark R. Jones

Ocean Software Ltd FB page: http://www.facebook.com/OceanSoftwareLtd
Ultimate Play The Game FB page: https://www.facebook.com/ultimateptg

User avatar
JamesC
Posts: 396
Joined: Tue Aug 19, 2014 1:51 pm
Location: Norwich

Re: Best or Worst of ZX Spectrum

Post by JamesC » Thu Aug 21, 2014 2:40 am

mlucifersam wrote:
psj3809 wrote:Also the infamous Zoids review, werent Crash given some freebies or something for that ? That review was one of the worst i had seen in Crashi
I too was taken in by their 96% Crash Smash review, went out a bought it (I wasn't even in to Zoids!) and never worked out what I was supposed to be doing!

See also: Thundercats

psj3809
Posts: 18753
Joined: Tue Jan 03, 2006 10:28 am

Re: Best or Worst of ZX Spectrum

Post by psj3809 » Thu Aug 21, 2014 3:31 am

Spector wrote:
JamesC wrote:A semi-official port that I enjoyed was Frank Bruno's Boxing - a port of Punch Out.
The graphics were really good and it played pretty well apart from the fact you had to use the keyboard as well as the joystick which could be a bit cumbersome. The characters and humour were great.
Ah yes, Frank Bruno's Boxing. I think you'd have a bit of trouble releasing that game today with some of the racial stereotypes in it! But it was good fun for the most part, even if Andrei Puncheredov's out-of-nowhere headbutts could be really annoying.
Because i went to so many arcades during my summer holidays with my parents i always wanted to 'recreate' the arcade at home. So Frank Brunos Boxing was my arcade Punch Out game as i'm sure it was for others, i remember buying that game, really did like it, pretty good, first few boxers were easy then it got slightly trickier

But Elite were on a roll back then with Commando, Space Harrier, Ghost n Goblins etc. 1942 was average (if anything you would think a basic shoot em up would be the easier one to convert) but i always bought their arcade originals as i was big fans of most of their games

User avatar
Matt_B
Posts: 5286
Joined: Wed Mar 14, 2007 5:30 am
Location: 5 minutes from the beach, 30 seconds from the pub

Re: Best or Worst of ZX Spectrum

Post by Matt_B » Thu Aug 21, 2014 4:18 am

In terms of racial stereotypes, it's probably no worse than the Punch Out arcade game itself, from which many of the characters appear to have been cribbed. Ah well, that was a different era and it's good to see that at least most of society has become a lot more aware of these things in the intervening years.

So far as the game itself went, I had little difficulty getting past the first three boxers, but Tribal Trouble was very tricky to beat and that was pretty much my limit. Although I did use the codes published in a magazine to try the later boxers and Peter Perfect was surprisingly easy to beat.

User avatar
gman72
Posts: 8017
Joined: Thu Aug 28, 2008 9:41 pm
Location: UK. Norfolk

Re: Best or Worst of ZX Spectrum

Post by gman72 » Thu Aug 21, 2014 8:20 am

Commando
Ikari Warriors
Flying Shark
Enduro Racer
Renegade

all brilliant on the speccy :D
“To gain your own voice, you have to forget about having it heard.” —Allen Ginsberg, WD

User avatar
shiftytigger
Posts: 2965
Joined: Fri Dec 16, 2011 11:53 am
Location: East London

Re: Best or Worst of ZX Spectrum

Post by shiftytigger » Fri Aug 22, 2014 4:26 am

TwoHeadedBoy wrote:There's some Spectrum versions that I prefer over the arcade originals - namely Gauntlet II, 720*, Rolling Thunder and Midnight Resistance.
720 is one thing that I dont see mentioned much. I only had one crappy joystick back in the day as I preferred keyboard control - so I've only ever played 720 on keys. To this day it is the only version I can actually play well. I've tried on all those compilation discs over the years and not one seems to have got the controls to feel right.
Image

User avatar
PaulEMoz
Posts: 610
Joined: Sat Jun 04, 2011 3:11 pm
Location: Co. Durham
Contact:

Re: Best or Worst of ZX Spectrum

Post by PaulEMoz » Fri Aug 22, 2014 6:08 am

mlucifersam wrote:
psj3809 wrote:Also the infamous Zoids review, werent Crash given some freebies or something for that ? That review was one of the worst i had seen in Crashi
I too was taken in by their 96% Crash Smash review, went out a bought it (I wasn't even in to Zoids!) and never worked out what I was supposed to be doing!
The Commodore 64 version got a similarly high score in ZZAP! 64... I've never worked out what to do in it either! Great music, though.

psj3809
Posts: 18753
Joined: Tue Jan 03, 2006 10:28 am

Re: Best or Worst of ZX Spectrum

Post by psj3809 » Fri Aug 22, 2014 6:51 am

shiftytigger wrote:
TwoHeadedBoy wrote:There's some Spectrum versions that I prefer over the arcade originals - namely Gauntlet II, 720*, Rolling Thunder and Midnight Resistance.
720 is one thing that I dont see mentioned much. I only had one crappy joystick back in the day as I preferred keyboard control - so I've only ever played 720 on keys. To this day it is the only version I can actually play well. I've tried on all those compilation discs over the years and not one seems to have got the controls to feel right.
Good shout ! I bought 720 degrees and really enjoyed it. Quite a laugh going around the park and the slalom challenge was always good. Keyboard worked very well on this. A great conversion

User avatar
Matt_B
Posts: 5286
Joined: Wed Mar 14, 2007 5:30 am
Location: 5 minutes from the beach, 30 seconds from the pub

Re: Best or Worst of ZX Spectrum

Post by Matt_B » Fri Aug 22, 2014 7:39 am

I didn't think Zoids was that bad, but it was way too much of an esoteric game to have been awarded a Smash in the main section of Crash; it should probably have gone in the strategy section, where it would doubtless have received a fairer appraisal, although I doubt Martech would have been too happy given the hype they'd thrown at it.

All in all, it's a bit of a flawed gem; the concept is grand, but there's a lot of tedious wandering around to find the parts, and the missile sequences - although really impressive the first few times you play them - soon get to feel very repetitive. Ah well, at least it's not a game where you could fault the developers' ambitions.

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 8 guests