Best or Worst of ZX Spectrum

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

spectrum4ever

Best or Worst of ZX Spectrum

Post by spectrum4ever » Mon Aug 11, 2014 1:49 pm

What arcade ports were the best or worst for the ZX Spectrum ?

For me one of the best has to be Midnight Resistance because its close to the original and its a great game all around.

The worst is Pitfighter with its big chunky graphics that move slower than a snail. I really don't know why they wanted to convert the game and then make it as big as the arcade.
It should have been where the fighters are around the size of Target Renegade and I think it would have worked better.

ianpmarks

Re: Best or Worst of ZX Spectrum

Post by ianpmarks » Mon Aug 11, 2014 1:57 pm

I always hated Ocean's Kong. It had a stickman, and Kong looked ridiculous. It was also impossible to play as you had to be pixel perfect to get up the ladders. They did an official Donkey Kong later which was much better. Kong probably wasn't the worst arcade conversion, but I've always resented it as Ocean stole my pocket money.

I thought Ghosts and Goblins was a pretty decent effort as a good conversion though.

Matt_B

Post by Matt_B » Mon Aug 11, 2014 2:50 pm

I tended to give arcade ports a miss back in the day for obvious reasons, but I was very impressed by Simon Owen's recent Pac-Man Emulator which basically gives arcade-perfect gameplay by running the same code and emulates the display very accurately too, albeit with a bit of colour clash.

Also, in the realm of unofficial conversions, Real Time Games made excellent versions of Battlezone and Star Wars as 3D Tank Duel and 3D Starstrike respectively.

As for the worst, there are so many to choose from, but I'll plump for S.T.U.N. Runner. With the arcade game so heavily reliant upon its visuals, they really needed to get the look of it right; I'll accept that the Spectrum has its limitations, but they didn't even come close.

Gigifusc

Post by Gigifusc » Mon Aug 11, 2014 3:29 pm

Wasn't super hang on pretty good? Commando? And was it chase h.q. or outrun that was also really well done?
Green beret was good. Was it vigilante that was really good too?

ianpmarks

Post by ianpmarks » Mon Aug 11, 2014 3:31 pm

Green Beret was good. Had forgotten that one.

fredghostmaster

Post by fredghostmaster » Mon Aug 11, 2014 3:57 pm

Ghosts n Goblins & Bombjack were excellent conversions, Kung Fu Master was terrible.

Nemesis

Post by Nemesis » Mon Aug 11, 2014 5:04 pm

Enduro Racer always stuck in my mind as one of the best arcade ports simply because it looked like a decent facsimile of the coin op which was considerably more powerful. Commando, Bomb Jack, Paperboy and Space Harrier all played really well even if visually they were all a bit naff. I'll add Ghosts'n'Goblins to that list too.

As I'm typing, I remember Hypersports, Mikie and Ping Pong being very good as well.

Crazily enough, I rather enjoyed Kung Fu Master but clearly I didn't know any better! :lol:
Oh and if you want to do little social experiments on our forum don't post about them on your own you plum - Darren@Retro Gamer

Sputryk

Post by Sputryk » Mon Aug 11, 2014 5:19 pm

GREAT conversions:

Commando
Bomb Jack
Green Beret
Ghosts 'n Goblins
3D Starstrike <Star Wars>
Mikie
Bubble Bobble
Operation Wolf
Super Hang-On
Enduro Racer
Combat School
Spy Hunter

HORRID conversions:

Track and Field
Kung Fu Master
Gryzor
Rolling Thunder
Side Arms

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Tue Aug 12, 2014 4:10 am

^Thought Gryzor was really good. Loved arcade conversions as i loved playing those games on holiday in the arcades and then to have decent versions at home was brilliant.

Best conversions

Commando
Bomb Jack
Space Harrier
Ikari Warriors
Bubble Bobble
Operation Wolf
Spy Hunter
Tapper
R-Type

Worst conversions

Jailbreak - Terrible collision detection, the Konami conversions were dire
Nemesis - Such a letdown
Breakthru - Ridiculous, even used the speccy font
Guerilla War - Hoped it would be like Ikari Warriors but horrible graphics
1942 - Ridiculous 'put put' type shooting noise
Kung Fu Master - Just horrible

ootini

Post by ootini » Tue Aug 12, 2014 5:20 am

I do not recall playing many ports or arcade conversions on the Speccy at the time but I do remember Operation Thunderbolt being surprisingly playable. Robocop too, out off all the other versions I played back then the spectrum version was by far my favorite.

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Tue Aug 12, 2014 5:26 am

ootini wrote:I do not recall playing many ports or arcade conversions on the Speccy at the time but I do remember Operation Thunderbolt being surprisingly playable. Robocop too, out off all the other versions I played back then the spectrum version was by far my favorite.
Yep good shout. I preferred Operation Wolf but Op Thunderbolt wasnt bad.

Back in the day i did really like Yie Ar Kung Fu but playing it now it seems very very slow. Hyper Sports was another brilliant conversion.

Robocop played very well as well, came out on consoles/computers first before the arcade game didnt it

Matt_B

Post by Matt_B » Tue Aug 12, 2014 5:30 am

Sputryk wrote:Track and Field
That's an interesting one as it only ever appeared on a compilation. I've speculated in the past that it might have needed to be written in very short order when it was realized that he Spectrum didn't already have a port of the game. It's either that or it was considered too awful for a stand-alone release, I suppose.

The Laird

Post by The Laird » Tue Aug 12, 2014 5:40 am

10 of the best:

Cabal
R-Type
Shadow Warriors
Midnight Resistance
Klax
Bubble Bobble
Chase H.Q
Rainbow Islands
Renegade
New Zealand Story

10 of the worst:

Kung Fu Master
Breakthru
Double Dragon
Pit-Fighter
STUN Runner
ESWAT (48k)
Street Fighter 2
Jail Break
G-LOC
Final Fight

TwoHeadedBoy

Post by TwoHeadedBoy » Tue Aug 12, 2014 7:49 am

There's some Spectrum versions that I prefer over the arcade originals - namely Gauntlet II, 720*, Rolling Thunder and Midnight Resistance.
My comics blog (mostly lesser-known UK stuff from the 80s and 90s)
C=Style wrote:It's always refreshing and nice to see someone such as TwoHeadedBoy who is a SNES hating bastard at the best of times rate a SNES game so highly.

paranoid marvin

Post by paranoid marvin » Tue Aug 12, 2014 5:25 pm

TwoHeadedBoy wrote:There's some Spectrum versions that I prefer over the arcade originals - namely Gauntlet II, 720*, Rolling Thunder and Midnight Resistance.

Yeah. Commando on the Speccy was also more playable. Much more fluid graphics and fair gameplay.

Obviously no Speccy arcade conversion looked as good as the arcade equivalent, but back in the day if we had something that resembled the arcade games were played for those 1 or 2 weeks in the Summer hols, that's all we could ask for.

Too many great conversions to name them all , but Chase HQ, Op Wolf, Ghosts 'n' Goblins, Bombjack, Hypersports, Green Bert, Mikie, R-Type were all up there. Probably the best (and my favourite) is Renegade.

The worst is Kung Poo Master - as well as having awful graphics and terrible gameplay, what made it even worse was that it was a great arcade game, and could easily have been made into a great conversion (just look at that level from the budget game Agent X which showed that a good side-on scrolling beat em up could be done. Worst of all , the breadbin got a brilliant conversion, and was one of the games that the Commie owners used to bash us Speccy owners over the head with. Stll at least we could retaliate with Enduro Racer!
Mr Flibble says...
"Game over , boys!"