Scariest gaming moments of all time

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

Shinobi

Re: Scariest gaming moments of all time

Post by Shinobi » Sat Aug 16, 2014 1:57 pm

For me its a few franchise that or just scary/evil all the way through and you always feel in danger

Kuon for example when you enter the Ogre's house as you get separated from your friends and you think the Ogre's left when it hasn't.. Then yousee your friend in the distance as she's's wearing a red dress in the mist catch up to her and her and she turns into ringu girl who'ss wearing your friends clothes.. Cathcing up to you Exorcist friends they've become some beyiar conjoined man/Woman hybrid you have to fight

Echo Night Beyond no weapons stuck on a space ship with a Ghost Girl who kills you in the dark!! Enter long brightly lit corrier and all the lights smash in front and behind you and Ghost girl appears.. Also how the ghosts can follow you into other rooms

The Project Zero and Silent Hill games survival horror done so well done

Frankenstein Jnr Codemasters C64 the dark room where you get attacked by something you can't see not sure why I found i scary just did

The Atari St game with the Woman in the Hall who turns round and she has a skeleton face complete with graphic death scene of her killing you.. Scared the life out of me name escapes me but mentioning it to people on here they knew straight away
"Crush the Old Order and CREATE A NEW SOCIETY!"

Dave300

Post by Dave300 » Sat Aug 16, 2014 3:05 pm

Shinobi wrote:The Atari St game with the Woman in the Hall who turns round and she has a skeleton face complete with graphic death scene of her killing you.. Scared the life out of me name escapes me but mentioning it to people on here they knew straight away
Uninvited! Scared the fluids out of me first time as well!

ncf1

Post by ncf1 » Mon Aug 18, 2014 4:21 pm

Geez.. there are a few.. being suddenly garroted in Personal Nightmare; the lickers in Resident Evil; the cabin section in RE4; Nemesis in RE3; Silent Hill the first half hour or so; there a lots I can think of.

But the only time I ever had an actual nightmare was from Doom II, the hellhounds in Doom II. For some reason they scared the pants off me. In my sleep that is. Strangely though I woke up with no pants that night*

*you can choose to believe that one or not.

Dave300

Post by Dave300 » Mon Aug 18, 2014 4:40 pm

I played a demo on a mate's PS4 last night - called P.T. which I believe is a teaser/tech demo for the new Silent Hill game starring Norman Reedus from Walking Dead.

I won't spoil it for anyone that's not played it yet but it has a good level of tension, something very weird going on, and then at one point near the end I kinda screamed much to the amusement of my mate. The only other time I screamed was 'Hanged Man' in Project Zero.

sscott

Post by sscott » Mon Aug 18, 2014 5:31 pm

Dave300 wrote:I played a demo on a mate's PS4 last night - called P.T. which I believe is a teaser/tech demo for the new Silent Hill game starring Norman Reedus from Walking Dead.

I won't spoil it for anyone that's not played it yet but it has a good level of tension, something very weird going on, and then at one point near the end I kinda screamed much to the amusement of my mate. The only other time I screamed was 'Hanged Man' in Project Zero.
Gonna download that now - just heard about it. S

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Tue Aug 19, 2014 1:28 pm

The Garradors in Resi 4 are particularly scary in the Mercenaries mode when one appears behind you on the castle level. The sudden roar/cry they make is enough to make me think "sh*t!" then the claws come slashing about...

Also, the bigger and badder chainsaw guy on the waterworld map. Quite scary when you can spot him in the distance getting gradually closer and not even flinching under your gunfire. Even worse when you kick open a door in a building and one is standing there revving his chainsaw up!

Finally, seeing that this was actually a real game :shock: :

Nightmares for weeks.
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

ncf1

Post by ncf1 » Tue Aug 19, 2014 1:31 pm

some good calls Megamixer. Indeed I have jumped numerous times because of Mr Chainsaw deciding to make an appearance. As if his noisy chainsaw wasn't enough to alert me, still jumped.

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Tue Aug 19, 2014 1:44 pm

ncf1 wrote:some good calls Megamixer. Indeed I have jumped numerous times because of Mr Chainsaw deciding to make an appearance. As if his noisy chainsaw wasn't enough to alert me, still jumped.
This guy?

Or THIS nightmare?

After facing the latter, the 'normal' Dr Salvador doesn't seem so threatening anymore!
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

ncf1

Post by ncf1 » Tue Aug 19, 2014 2:49 pm

I think he indeed might be the one that has lopped my head off a number of times while I was busy trying to collect things around my close proximity. Next time I think I will ask that he refrain from doing that so I can continue my quest, as I have enough to do even with my head screwed on tightly.

ncf1

Post by ncf1 » Tue Aug 19, 2014 2:51 pm

Ah I refer to the chap in RE4. That rude fellow.

Misery

Post by Misery » Wed Aug 20, 2014 1:21 am

I'll nominate the recent indie game "Five Nights at Freddy's".

The idea is that you're a night security guard at a place similar to Chuck-E-Cheese's, the sort of place that uses animatronic robots to put on performances to entertain kids and such. The problem is that the things have "unpredictable behavior" at night, and naturally are coming for you, and all you have to thwart them is 2 security doors, some rather crappy hallway lights in certain areas, and a network of security cameras which you use to keep track of where the things are. And a limited power supply: The things cant get through the security doors, but due to the limited power you cannot keep them shut all night; when you run out of power, they *will* get you. You cant keep the lights on all the time in the areas near your location either. You have to monitor their behavior and movements (each having a different type of AI) and use that to know when to close the doors and when to open them.

It's a very recent example, but in my opinion this one is the horror genre done right for once, using suspense, freaky animatronic nightmare robots, and a constant sense of inevitable doom to create fear and paranoia in the player, pushing them ever further towards making the mistake that allows one of the things into the room that you're stuck in, at which point it flips the hell out and... well, let's say that the security guard's fate is not a pleasant one. What really does the job is that when you're watching them, you never actually see them move (with one unpleasant exception). They're perfectly still, even if they're in a position that makes it very obvious that yes, they're moving on their own when you're not looking at them. You might spot one in a camera at one point, switch to a different camera, and then back to the previous one where they're just missing.

A decent example of a bit of the gameplay: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GS-VcKmK7Gc

Lower your volume a bit when you get near the end of the video though, lest it blow your eardrums out the back of your head.

This game has been very popular recently, and there's lots of videos of people playing it and inevitably screaming at it.

Shinobi

Post by Shinobi » Wed Aug 20, 2014 5:47 pm

Dave300 wrote:
Shinobi wrote:The Atari St game with the Woman in the Hall who turns round and she has a skeleton face complete with graphic death scene of her killing you.. Scared the life out of me name escapes me but mentioning it to people on here they knew straight away
That's it uninvited thanks Dave :D just googled it and the first thing was a Youtube video of somebody called Dave dying on her.. It seemed a bit of a joke at first with that little demon the death scene is just as evil as I remembered

It looks very similar to Shadowgate and Deja Vu, Shadowgate was a rubbish game scary as in everything killed you
"Crush the Old Order and CREATE A NEW SOCIETY!"

Dave300

Post by Dave300 » Wed Aug 20, 2014 6:29 pm

Shinobi wrote:
Dave300 wrote:
That's it uninvited thanks Dave :D just googled it and the first thing was a Youtube video of somebody called Dave dying on her.. It seemed a bit of a joke at first with that little demon the death scene is just as evil as I remembered

It looks very similar to Shadowgate and Deja Vu, Shadowgate was a rubbish game scary as in everything killed you
Wasn't me! lol

Post by 3703 » Thu Aug 21, 2014 9:23 am

First encounter with a crimson head zombie in REmake. Shattering the most reliable convention of the series in one sudden, bewildering, terrifying, panic-sodden moment.

Amigaheart

Post by Amigaheart » Tue Sep 23, 2014 3:33 am

Had to be the first encounter with the Cyclops in the Amiga version of Sinbad and the Throne of the Falcon. Even worse, when he threw a giant 3D rock at me killing the mighty Sinbad instantly - the screaming was horrible. All this in the late eighties. Search for 'cyclop' here for a few more testimonials.